Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't wait for tv networks to understand Netflix and poo poo like it, because right now it's like trying to fuckin tell my grandpa how to print.

Considering that the viewership of Breaking Bad more than doubled between last season and this one thanks almost entirely to the show being on Netflix I figure they can only keep their heads buried in the sand for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Somm is a documentary about four guys studying for and taking the masters Sommelier exam, so basically 4 guys who are ludicrously passionate about wine. Not the best doc I've seen but very engrossing.

If it doesn't have a scene where they give the guys white wine that's been dyed red and they start spouting a bunch of red wine adjectives or huge detailed explanations of why wine that was bottled during certain phases of the moon are objectively more delicious then no deal.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

What movie is that? It sounds hillarious.

It's not from a movie, those are legitimate things that actual wine people believe in/have fallen prey to. They're like the audiophiles of the food world.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 5 of Doc Martin has been up since the start of october and Netlfix didn't email me? I rated it five stars and had watched all the episodes. God drat it's getting really bad at sending the "new episodes are available" emails.

I use What's New On Netflix, if you subscribe to their RSS feed you know everything that's added, every day.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Only God Forgives, Nicolas Winding Refn's newest movie, is on Netflix. If you thought that Drive was polarizing then this will give you a conniption.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
White House Down is Die Hard in the White House.

Olympus Has Fallen is Red Dawn in the White House.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oldstench posted:

How does the show reconcile that Hannibal is 60+ at the start of Red Dragon, but a lean, mean 40 in the show?

It's a different take on the character and stories, not just in Mikkelson's performance but in general. Freddie Lounds is now a woman and The Tattler is TattleCrime.com, for example.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

azflyboy posted:

Where did you find that list? I typically use instantwatcher to keep up on new streaming stuff, but apparently it doesn't show old content that is removed and added back again.

I subscribe to the RSS feed for What's New On Netflix.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

How in the world does a Pokemon episode get banned. Pikachu gets slapped around a little too hard? Koffing smokes some weed?

Guns pointed at little kids and a man entering a bikini contest.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I watched the movie Flight a little while ago which wasnt bad. But was it just a big alcoholics anonymous ad?

AA is so ingrained in America's legal system and public consciousness (as well as such an easy tool for writers) that anything remotely critical of it is pretty much never going to show up in a movie. At this point AA is one of those things like defibrilators that you have to accept is used by movies in a way completely divorced from reality.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Running Man is bottom-tier Schwarzenegger, ya'all are straight tripping.

The book is awesome though, you should read it if you get the chance.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vagon posted:

Has anyone watched some of the series Supernatural? Apparently it gets good a few seasons in but i'm struggling with the first. A friend of mine desperately wants me in on it, however.

Conversely, I loved seasons 3-5 because it balanced Monster of the Week shows with actual serialized storytelling.

The first season is kind of rough but once it hits its groove it's roughly on par with X-Files only with fantasy instead of sci-fi.

It does have a truly terrible fanbase, though the fact that later seasons actively mocks them makes up for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I hated Iron Sky. Half the jokes are ______ Movie-level "hey look we made a reference to a thing isn't that funny?" only even worse because thanks to crowdfunding it took them years to actually release the movie so you get a bunch of stale references to Sarah Palin and the iPad.

Iron Sky has a great premise and does absolutely nothing with it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Ravenous has an amazing soundtrack.

The compositions are fantastic on their own, but the way the movie uses them just takes it to a whole other level.

-haunting, intense music as poo poo Goes Down-

"...run!"

-man flees for his life in terror as chipper, upbeat violin music plays-

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

VHS works because it's short segments.

...so the terrible poo poo that makes up 90% of the movie is over sooner than later so you can appreciate the decent stuff that somehow wound up in it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wormil posted:

I know it isn't entirely Netflix fault but their selection continues to degrade. If it weren't for a few tv series I would probably drop the service. I spend way more time on Amazon now.

People have been saying this for about as long as the service has existed but I still never run out of good things to watch v:shobon:v

Totally TWISTED posted:

It's unfortunate because I get the impression that Amazon is using streaming as a loss leader right now and at the same time Netflix is getting hosed by all the media companies jacking up their rates + open internet/bandwidth costs.

It feels like it's not as bad as it was a few years ago when everybody was trying to make their own streaming service, but Amazon snapping up exclusivity for shows is definitely getting to be a noticeable pain in the rear end with all the holes its making in Netflix's television lineup.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Spoils of Babylon is less than two hours long altogether and is the kind of show where you'll be able to tell pretty much right off the bat whether or not it's your thing, give it a shot.

I was sold just on Will Ferrell bookending each episode as a cross between Garth Marenghi and Orson Welles.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you watch Hemlock Grove when the two good seasons of American Horror Story are on Netflix.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

beanieson posted:

the other netflix thread spent the last couple pages raving about Detention and holy hell it's really something :stare:

Detentiowns.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Supernatural is basically The X-Files only with mythology and monsters instead of conspiracies and science, brotherly angst instead of sexual tension, and with the serialized storytelling actually being good and having a great arc with a satisfying conclusion instead of being pointless filler that goes nowhere.

Also like X-Files it has a great sense of humor.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Hey guys, don't watch Revolution. Two episodes in and I hate everyone in it.

Agreed. Dumb premise, boring plot, uninteresting characters, bad effects, and not even bad enough to be a fun hatewatch.

Oh and if you're curious the reason why electricity no longer works, which was one of the show's big selling points and which the creators bragged was 100% scientifically accurate, was nanomachines, son.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Twitch posted:

If anyone's in the mood for a lighter Halloween movie, I watched The Addams Family the other day for the first time in 10+ years, and it's still awesome.

MC Hammer rapping about the Addams Family over the credits is one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history.

I hope they get Addams Family Values in time for Thanksgiving :pray:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Snowpiercer loving owns, and it breaks my heart to see people online who complain about modern movies being uncreative or derivative and methodical and and longing for more creative and origial films rejecting Snowpiercer because it doesn't follow a typical story arc or adhere their definition of "science fiction" or because the movie is unrealistic despite being openly fantastic and allegorical.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I watched Snowpiercer, which I had been eager to since I heard about it. I liked it. It jumped right into the story with minimal unnecessary background info.

I really get the feeling, though, that it's one of those stories that suffers from being condensed from its source - that was a graphic novel right? I never read it, but the movie was really tugging me along while I was still trying to piece things together.

I imagine the book(s) are great; has anyone read them? How'd you say the movie does compared to them?

I haven't read the comic but that weird way of lopsidedly dumping exposition seems to be common in South Korean films, especially in Joon-ho Bong's earlier films like Memories of Murder and The Host. Same with the way that the tone will flip from bleak to funny at the drop of a hat, even in the middle of the same scene.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I had the same issue. I don't know of anywhere on the planet that would do that to an arm in 7 minutes, so I was under the impression that Earth was cold in a way that we don't even experience. Same thing with the frozen people who were like 150 feet from the tracks. Then later, somewhere in the mountains there's just a cool breeze? It didn't seem expressed very well. At the beginning, they establish "outside = death", and then "oh I guess not".

Plus it's a sci-fi supertrain with a perpetual motion machine for an engine, I don't think they ever say how fast they're going but I imagine it would add one hell of a wind chill.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Dang, Snowpiercer was great. The tonal shift after the halfway mark is great and then it collapses on itself. None of the bizzare parts took me out of the movie, somehow they made sense.

The Host is by the same director and has the same Korean lead, it's similarly good/weird.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

poo poo, I knew I recognized him!

He's also the priest from Thirst, The Weird from The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, and the detective from Memories of Murder.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you're a big fat nerd then Borgia is made even cooler by the fact that Rodrigo Borgia is played by Caesar from Fallout: New Vegas.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Youre a liar. Its a 1.5 hours of self contragulatory auto fellatio. Most of the actors just seem annoyed that people dont recognize them for their talents by appearance alone like one would a screen actor. Ok maybe its only 1 hour or crap. 30 minutes of it are insightful, but theyre parsed throughout redundant 10 second clips of numerous people explaining the same concepts that are spliced together in a poor effort to keep the film captivating.

It could have been done better by not trying to give every voiceactor ever screen time

My appreciation of the doc has gone down immensely after I started listening to Rob Paulsen's podcast and tracking down other voice actor interviews on Nerdist et al because of it and realized that almost every anecdote and conversation the voice actors have in it is one that they have been repeating verbatim for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lamprey Cannon posted:

You are in for a tremendous *treat*. For better or worse, the first three episodes are in no way indicative of the quality or tone of the rest of the season.

What starts off as a serious scientific thriller becomes more and more gleefully stupid until it basically turns into Resident Evil: The TV Series, down to masterminds with secret staircases, shady corporations with private armies, secret societies, and secret bunkers under secret labs under regular labs.

Helix is a terrible show but at least it has the decency to be a fiasco. It's the kind of show that's fun to leave on in the background so you can laugh at all the terrible musical cues and ridiculous piling-on of twist after twist like a second-string LOST knockoff from 2007 and The Rocketeer trying really hard to be gruff while Hiroyuki Sanada is menacingly Asian and the rest of the cast delivers clunky dialogue while consistently making the dumbest decisions possible.

I actually laughed out loud when, just when I thought the show couldn't get any stupider, the :ghost: spooky ghost girl :ghost: showed up and then they ended an episode with a montage set to that cover of Mad World was already a punchline half a decade ago.

• Locked thread