Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I watched Clean Flix recently. A documentary about the people who sold/rented edited movies in salt lake city, and their downfall.

Interesting topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh man! Were these the guys with the specially-edited versions of movies where like all the swearing, nudity, and violence was cut out? I still find it staggering how many people there are who are utterly terrified of the prospect of witnessing something that they don't personally approve of, and the possibility of that perceived information somehow destroying their most deeply held beliefs.

Except, apparently there weren't enough of those people to keep these guys afloat :unsmith:

That's them, yes. Actually, though, they made lots of money until they got shut down by the MPAA. That's part of what makes it so interesting!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bear Boy posted:

Recently started getting on Netflix again. Is Dexter a good watch? Need something that'll make me actually want to watch the next episode. Heard it was a decent show.

The first season is alright. After that it gets bad, fast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Watch Luther

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Only God Forgives is on Netflix, please watch it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

casual poster posted:

I wouldn't watch this movie unless you're familiar with the director. It's a very strange movie where I could see many people being turned off from it in the way that storyline is filmed. Watch the directors other stuff first: Drive, Valhalla Rising, and Pusher. If you really liked them, check out Only God Forgives.

But it's so good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Van Kraken posted:

So, The Act of Killing is on Netflix now. Former Indonesian death squad leaders reenact their crimes on camera. It's a documentary.

That movie is goddamn incredible. One of the best films in years, and something everybody should see at some point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SheepNameKiller posted:

Drive is the best film by that Director, easily. That's only my opinion though.

I watched it after OGF and didn't like it nearly as much. Plenty of people feep the way you do, though, so it's just up to taste.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The problem with Dexter is that Hannibal is like it, but is so much better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ninja II Shadow of a Tear is now on Netflix

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Starring the guy who played Uri Boyka, the Most Complete Fighter in the World!

Ninja II was hilariously bad, I loved the secret weapon cache he gets at the end.

it was great, he finds a world war 2 ninja costume and then blows up a pickup truck

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Netflix is awful on Roku now, shocking. At least on my "last year's model, buy a new one already rear end in a top hat" Roku. Which I got to replace an older one, because I wanted netflix subtitles. Of course now if I want profiles in Netflix, I need the new one too.

Anyway, almost the entire app is now "because you watched..." suggestions, some going back years at this point. All the regular genre sections are totally gone. Even the "top picks" section is like buried under 12 layers of because you watched. What the gently caress guys.

I, too, have a Roku. They said that Profiles are going to come to other models too, but frankly there's no guarantee that will actually happen. I mean, I had to sideload a channel to get goddamn Youtube on it. Youtube!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah it's amazing how much they seem to want to alienate anyone who already owns one. New customers are all that matters I guess? I am also fairly convinced someone is running some sort of scam on churches convincing them that they should totally make a roku channel guys it'll be great! because there are a dozen new Jesus channels every week.

Also loving lol at there being a god drat flappy bird clone game on the store now.

I mean, for how little it cost it works well enough, and I've been watching Hannibal with no problems. But you'd think that in this day and age not having Youtube of all things would be loving impossible.

Christ, even my Wii can play Youtube.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I watched Monsters recently. A cynical photojournalist tries to sneak a woman across the border from Mexico because giant monsters are destroying everything there. It was pretty solid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you could just get a streaming device, so that it uses little power and is HD unlike the wii

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I guess I'm an old cranky man. I went back and watched Rocko's Modern Life recently (which I adored as a lad), but I was pretty indifferent. I can see why I liked it when I was younger, but I can't really enjoy it now beyond one episode. I guess I can see revisiting for nostalgia's sake, but beyond that how do you guys do it?

I don't get it either, but I have a five year old niece so I've seen a lot of modern kids' poo poo designed to amuse her. So maybe that's why they're revisiting it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Long Goodbye is on Netflix, and you should watch it, because it's really good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

Thanks for the Das Boot rundown.

And The Long Goodbye is fantastic. Robert Altman adapting a Raymond Chandler book with Elliott Gould... And somehow, it's not a trainwreck - in fact it's charming and mean and has the best of both Altman and Chandler. Anyone who likes The Big Lebowski should give it a shot.

It has a great soundtrack, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTQgTZBqAyE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TALAASH, a Hindi neonoir, is on Netflix. Don't expect a Bollywood song and dance movie because it really isn't one for the most part. It's weird and dark and has Aamir Khan in it, so it is worth watching.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Just realized that I have an Amazon Prime membership. Anything on there for free that's a must see? And is there any instantwatcher-like website for it?

Hannibal is on there, watch that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bunky posted:

I sort of liked VHS 1/2. There were legitimate creepy moments here and there. Watching House of the Devil tonight was one of the least enjoyable film experiences I've had in recent memory. Literally nothing happens. The first time something almost important happens is around the 45 minute mark. That's almost an hour of watching a college student talk about taking a babysitting job and getting an apartment. Then nothing happens again for 20 minutes or so. The creepy people that she babysits for are so overtly creepy that it's laughable. Nothing happens to progress the plot. Ever. I know this a horror film, but there is more substance in the Friday the 13th where Jason goes to space.

House of the Devil is really good and so is Innkeepers. Maybe you would prefer a movie with lots of cheap jump scares where the characters are all jackasses going to a party instead

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Peaky Blinders was pretty alright when I watched it a few days ago - until I hit episode 6 and welp, no more. 6 episodes to a season? :gonk:

New season has started, though!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Peaky Blinders is loving great, everyone watch it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Modern supernatural is just people getting tortured, a fun show for the whole family

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Supernatural is basically The X-Files only with mythology and monsters instead of conspiracies and science, brotherly angst instead of sexual tension, and with the serialized storytelling actually being good and having a great arc with a satisfying conclusion instead of being pointless filler that goes nowhere.

Also like X-Files it has a great sense of humor.

Supernatural's story sucks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

watch a man birth a calves

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

I know it's been mentioned, but I just finished watching Bojack Horseman and it's fantastic. It is HARD to get into. I only barely stuck with it. The first six episodes are watchable but not much more than that, but it really picks up from there when you/the show itself realizes that it's really a talking animal cartoon about deep depression.

The *wacky roommate* is loving terrible and every scene he's in is a comedy holocaust.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Retail Slave posted:

I'm thinking of getting into The Tudors. Is it worth it?

It's loving garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Or you could watch a good movie instead, like Sonatine.

• Locked thread