Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
This question is purely out of curiosity. I was browsing tumblr today (I know, I know) and stumbled across this post about copyright and commissioned art. The short version is that someone bought a sketch on commission and later finished it and added colors. Someone else is claiming that without a contract for the purchase, the piece of art does not fall under work for hire, and the purchaser does not have "the right to alter, edit, or vandalize the artwork in any manner (without the artist’s permission)" and therefore the altering of the original piece is an illegal action.

Is this bullshit? It sounds like bullshit to me but I have no idea, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

the littlest prince posted:

Our resident party princess AssassinPrincess talked about this at times in her thread (you probably need archives to view it).

She's not a lawyer and obviously you shouldn't take whatever she says as legal advice but you might find something useful in there.

On her new blog, iirc she's specifically mentioned she can't sing Let It go when booked as the Snow Queen for parties, so that alone would be a problem for "Elza."

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Last week I got pulled over for speeding by the state highway patrol. Fair enough, I wasn't going that fast for the usual flow of traffic on that parkway, but I hadn't noticed the limit had dropped from 65 to 55, and it was early morning so I stood out a lot more. Ah well, sucks for me.

In the last week I've received letters from five different lawyers offering to represent me in traffic court. I don't need one (and I would of course turn to blarzgh first if I did), but I was surprised—the last time I got a speeding ticket a few years ago, I didn't get poo poo from lawyers. Is it because the state highway patrol pulled me over, as opposed to city cops on a local street? I'm just curious why such a difference in response.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

blarzgh posted:

Aww, thanks!

It's probably a combination of it being SHP, the fact that many Jurisdictions are slowly going online with everything making it more cost effective for lawyers to troll the Ticket lists and send mailers( they don't have to send runners and make copies and stuff) and also the market over the last 5 years has been inundated with low-rent, solos who are looking for any way to make a dollar because they can't find a job because they didn't listen to us.

That explains it. Thanks! Hopefully I won't have the opportunity to learn what happens in response to future tickets. I'll definitely go slower when I'm one of the only ones on the road.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This seems extremely excessive

I recently got a summons for federal grand duty that involved meeting up to twice a week for 18 months, with the potential to extend it for a further 6.