Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

daslog posted:

Thanks for replying.

New Hampshire is where I'm located. The idea is so she doesn't feel like she's losing money by not owning her own home and throwing away her money on rent. While I'm not concerned about her trashing the place, you never know what could happen in the future.

An alternative would be to draw something up that explicitly states she doesn't get any equity in the home and instead I would just keep a notional account for her that she could draw on.

I just was present for my buddy who doesn't really get "the law" on a call with his lawyer over trying to evict a tenant. He keeps going on and on about some document he wrote and got the tenant to sign and how it must mean he can kick them out and I'm just listening to the lawyer repeating over and over "there is no definitive language in that document" and watching him just not make the connection to understand since "but he signed it, that means he has to do what I say"

Long story short, pay someone now to do it right and not pay someone 100x more later when you do it wrong.

On that note, is the this thread where the guy had a bunch of questions about him as an RA wrestling with a female dorm student and she got injured? Even in his own words it looked like a really bad situation for him and he kept getting angrier and angrier no one agreed it was NDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Post the document

I don't have it but it was something like "you promise to try and move out by April 1st"

And he won't accept the lawyer telling him that its not a meaningful statement. And then saying that he just has to show it to a judge who will most definitely agree with him.

Evictions being suspended also don't mean anything to him because when told nothing can happen at least until the stay at home orders are lifted I get a text from him "They find the cure. Problem solved. USA win" and then saying he can get them out by May 1st.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Why does your friend want to evict people so badly?

Its a rented room in his own house. The tenant(originally a single occupant lease) moved in his wife and kid a while back without telling one day they were just there all sharing the room and a shared bathroom with another tenant, kept paying rent late or paying less (buddy would accept less rent because he said he wanted to help them save to move out), and kept promising to move out because the landlord didn't want 2 adults and a kid all sharing one room but always said "oh sorry, can't leave"

I've been telling him for the past year an eviction is his only option and his own drafted letters are meaningless but when he tries to get serious the dad brings his kid out and the kid starts crying asking if they are going to be homeless and my buddy just caves and asks for another "move-out agreement"

Hasn't paid rent since Jan either so at this point he's flipping out because no evictions for now means he'll likely never see another dollar and since he pays all the utilities for the house as part of the lease he's trying to think of ways to reduce their use of the utilities.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is a great thread to keep on the backburner to read, because it goes weeks with only a few posts, then suddenly an entire page in a day and its always something like

Goon: "Hey legal thread, I have X issue going on, how should I resolve it? No, I haven't talked to a lawyer"

Thread: "Call a loving lawyer right now or this is dumb and a petty waste of time let it go"

Goon: "hmm, maybe I'll just keep trying what I was doing before, lawyers sure are expensive or gently caress this I want my pound of flesh no matter what"

Later goon : "Hey lawyers any examples of people who just refuse or ignore any good advice?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Javid posted:

My favorite is when the poster, having requested and recieved feedback from persons of legal training, proceeds to argue with them about their conclusions. If you're sure you know, why are you asking? Do you think convincing this thread changes anything in your real life? I don't get it.

Probably whatever the legal equivalent of webmd is and someone in their real life telling them they are a moron for ignoring their lawyers yet they expect a legal advice thread to agree with time.

The "wrestled a female student, hurt her, gonna sue her for defamation if I get in trouble" guy was all ready to get serious and get a lawyer then proceeding to poo poo on and insult every single person posting "stop saying this poo poo online and get a lawyer" for not knowing the specifics of his case for why he was blameless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

why don't you answer the questions I ask in the post that I ask them in?

edit- this is the legal advice thread not the fuckin maury povich thread. i've provided enough lurid details for readers to understand what happened, the main point is what do i do going forward?

How has "go see a lawyer" not been your main takeaway? This guy is a social media d bag but you're also in here bragging about going to doxx him to his job so it's not like you arent making it worse.

The thread has commented and explained, in specific terms what your options are and even if you don't like it the only alternative is to schedule a legal consultation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

So there's no "annoy the judge" factor here? Aren't you risking affecting the judge's overall view of your suit/appeal/whatever, if you pack it full of nonsense that you know perfectly well has no chance, that you're an idiot and your case is probably stupid and so are your clients and gently caress you?

This is very interesting because even assuming the Judge is prickly about it if you have a paying client to insists on X when it is a pointless and nonsense endeveor; despite it being a waste of everyone's time what are your options other then firing the client? And even then what about someone who needs the paycheck too much to risk firing said client?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

contempt sanctions, toss em in a holding cell for a few hours, fine them or both.

Have you ever heard or seen anyone try to fight/appeal those contempt sanctions or is it like a 100% foolhardy attempt?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

What can I say? I'm curious, if you take the ride would you be able to make a fuss later? Would the fact you took the ride mean you have up your expectation of privacy or whatever? How would that work?

e: I mean if you actually we're rich why would you even need to ask for a ride? Something very close did happen and it made me wonder what a rich rear end in a top hat could do with the law.

ee: Is there another thread to ask this stuff if it isn't valid? I figured I would get a better answer here then Reddit or something.

So to be clear, you agreed to pick up a friend, showed up, their SO was there, threw a fit about you having a dashcam, got in the car with the friend anyways, and is now threatening to sue you or something?

I feel like 99% of the problem could've been dealt with by talking to the friend at the time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ceebee posted:

Hahaha leave it to goons to resort to calling me mentally ill or accusing me of having a manic episode. The only disability I have is ADHD but thank you for your concern.

It's pretty healthy to ask someone quitting their job and sinking all their time/money into their great new business idea who also say they can't afford a lawyer for the paperwork if they are ok mentally. If you had said you were going to open a restaurant instead of trying to challenge a billion dollar company you'd be getting the same response.

But I do have lots of questions wrt the streaming aspect as I know a few streamers (so your own thread would be helpful), like what is your streaming set up? What is your target audience? What is your current streaming revenue? What if any game are you going to focus on, like Fortnite or LoL, or play single player stuff for an audience? Are you thinking of trying for any e-sports or competitive tournaments? What schedule are you planning to set-up, etc. Is there a gimmick or a character you put on while streaming?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ceebee posted:

No, but I certainly wouldn't try to gaslight them like you're trying to do to me. gently caress off with that poo poo you little bitch, go troll some other threads.

This dead gay comedy forum taught me a lot because there's people with valuable information, experience, and knowledge on it. If you just want to treat it like your little troll platform feel free, but I'm asking for genuine advice not some petty gaslight experiment. You might be able to do that to your parents while you sit in their basement but you can't do that poo poo to me you bitchass.

I actually really enjoy calling people bitchasses lately lol but srlsly you are...a bitchass, go spend some more money on avatars you little cuck

huh

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 11, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alchenar posted:

For the lurkers, this is actually a serious point. Professional legal advice is not just regurgitating what a textbook says the law is, its giving a commercially aware answer to the clients question taking into account their objectives and circumstances.

It's the difference between:
"That's illegal and you can use for a million dollars!"
And
"That's illegal and you can sue for a million dollars, but it will cost you 100k to go to trial and the defendant is homeless and you'll never see a cent, we need another solution"

And if this thread is any indication professional legal advice quite often ends up being "No, you can't do that its illegal" and the results thereof.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

And now homeowner wants to blame Contractor, and refuses to settle their case because they paid their deadbeat lawyer who hosed up the case $15,000, they had to pay their new lawyer $5,000 and they have to pay their neighbor $10,000.

Is there a type for these deadbeat lawyers, or does it range from legal partner in a expensive looking firm to guy leaving business cards in windshields at parking structures?

I assume if you call the state bar for recommendations, you have a good chance of not wasting $15k on some layabout who will blow smoke up your rear end about what a genius you are and just encourage your stupidity (which is probably a feature for some people)

Outrail posted:

What was the point of bringing the cops for an eviction if they weren't going to help with the eviction?

People tend to get heated and emotional when their worldly possessions are being dumped onto the sidewalk.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 13, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Applesnots posted:

Should I call the billing dept at the hospital or the law office? since it is already way too late? I knew about this a while back, but I have never had to deal with courts I just was unsure what to do do, I figured I just showed up and bad things happened.

I mean avoiding something like debt is eventually going to escalate to the worst solution. If you call literally the day before most places will be more then willing to work something out. Contact whoever sent you the most recent correspondence regarding the debt and talk to someone. I had a similar situation and the first time I called the legal firm handling the collection said "ok sure we'll send you a payment agreement to work out, tell us what you can pay any amount we'll circle back in a year and maybe raise it"

And I'm not sure if its panic but your entire attitude to this seems like just let it happen and do nothing. No matter how bad it gets every time I was in a similar situation ignoring it always makes it worse. When I was getting evicted and I had no money I was able to get a free legal clinic to meet with me in a matter of days and they helped tremendously just letting me know what my legal options were and made me feel like the world wasn't on fire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I thought that mens rea, the 'state of mind' of a person, is measured by the court (lol) to determine culpability in for example a murder case; why wouldn't a judge or jury be willing to consider a person posting signs like "I have decided that if you trespass, even if I've already shot you, I'm going to also make sure you're dead" as indicative of intent? Or is the presumption here that the shooter is within their rights anyway, so there's no need to consider their intent?

Generally the kinds of people that shoot a trespasser, then walk over and shoot them again to make sure they are dead are likely the same people to then happily describe to the cops what they did expecting a pat on the back for doing such a good job.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rivetz posted:

Am I going to need to get a lawyer or get in front of a judge to dispute the calculator's results, or is there some other route?

The only time the answer to "Do I need a lawyer" is more urgent then "call one now and stop posting" is when its divorce/child support or you're being charged under the Espionage act.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

VVV Yeah, I figured about as much too. I have a lot to talk to the lawyer about, but I wanted to give my wife some answer sooner rather than later and only really want to contact the lawyer once I can get some concrete answers (like when the moratorium is lifted).

If you told the lawyer you want them evicted then just do everything they say because that's all you can do. Your lawyer will have every answer you need.

I just watched my landlord pay the family who wouldn't move out or pay the full rent a flat $2k for them to agree to surrender the tenancy because his lawyer told him its the fastest,cheapest, and safest way to get them out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Not a deed, but I did literally have a case where brother ACTUALLY snuck into blind, deaf, dying mother's hospital room death bed and ACTUALLY held her hand up to a will that he had changed himself to executor on, and ACTUALLY wiggled her hand with a pen limply in it to 'sign' the will.

That seems so blatantly illegal and in bad faith I would hope it wrapped up in a matter of days not months/years

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leviathan Song posted:

As an ignorant buyer I always assumed that it covered fraudulent transfers. If all it covers is mechanic's leans then it's way overpriced. What exactly is a title search if they're not verifying that the guy in the room has valid legal title?

The Brookyln deed scams are different then the people forging deeds and selling them to unsuspecting buyers from what I read. In Brooklyn people are harassed and pressured to sign contracts about their house that turn out to be legal documents transferring ownership.

The other stuff mentioned is where people buy a house for a "great deal" and then get blindsided by the real owners showing up and asking them what they are doing. By that point the scammer took the money and has vanished.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Not entirely accurate when it comes to deadlines. I've personally seen multiple systems that ask for something to be submitted online "by 11:59pm" which will happily accept something submitted at 11:59:59.

You're describing a system based in computer code, essentially a wildly convoluted mess of yes/no & and/or, which doesn't really seem directly comparable to real world legal application.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

I and a couple friends are talking about combining forces to buy a vacation cabin. I understand if we actually do the thing, we need to get a lawyer, form an LLC, and write up a huge contract that covers every possibility.

Currently we all live in rentals and nobody owns any property. My question is if we do this, and I have like a 15% share in a cabin, would that mean that if I want to buy a house of my own down the road, I would be disqualified from first-time homebuyer programs? If so, I'll step out of the process now.

Why?

Seriously, in what way is it better then just renting a cabin 1-2x a year?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I ran into this tweet while cleaning out my bookmarks and that's an interesting question. Any takers?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1225145117780140037

(I think the short answer to this and other related questions is that law and AI will be a very exciting field to be in for the next decade or so.)

It seems weird to thought exercise an issue of with one of the most brand aggressive litigious companies in existence. You better be another billion dollar company backing the AI cartoon maker to even have a chance of seeing it succeed.

And it being AI seems almost irrelevant, if the product is similar enough to the brand IP that a layperson could reasonably confuse the two why would it matter the source? It's still IP infringement? I'm not sure if "what a reasonable person could conclude" is a thing in legal arguments.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaj posted:

I researched this a while ago but forgot the key terms so Im asking blind again.

Short Version: NY State. My dad bought a house from my aunt (literal neo nazi), and the house has a lot her poo poo in it. Its been 5 years. I want it gone cause shes a nazi who curses at me every time she sees me. I know I have to give her 30 days notice to remove said items before I can just start throwing them out. Whats the legalese for this? What do I google? She refuses any contact.

LONG Version: We have owned the house for 5 years. My aunt was a hoarder and has a bunch of poo poo in the house and she keeps receipts. She cannot drive, or afford movers. The house is 80~ miles away from where she lives. Shes also a Nazi, like shed be Sieging about if she could lift her arm and not fall with her walker. I want to throw out stuff like her mattress, lovely airport books, her 20 pairs of brand new Timberland boots (they are so old the soles are rotting off). She is also so hateful as to not contact use at any time, even when we found an envelope with her name on it and 10k inside. She has also sued the 3 colleges she went to, and most of her employers. I want to make recorded, legal, contact with her to notify her she has 30 days to claim her property or Imma start throwing it out.

Uh, everything you've posted in the Boomers thread makes it seem like literally anything is going to run afoul of your Dad screaming at you and preventing you from doing anything that makes sense or involving outside legal help.

Just from personal experience when I moved out of a house that was in the process of being sold, and I was told anything left behind by me was assumed abandoned in a 30 day window after the sale concluded. No requirement to check with me, nothing. Once I no longer resided there after X days it was no longer my property to claim.

But like posted above, literally nothing matters besides when the house was sold and how. It's not going to matter if she's a nazi or lives X distance away you just need a lawyer to tell you the correct paperwork.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 14, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I don't know how legally binding it is, but when we entered our daughters into their pods here we had to initial and sign a whole pile of paperwork where they laid out what the classes would be like, how they were keeping the kids distanced, how shared spaces worked, the punishments for not abiding by the rules, the expectations of the kids, parents and families in how they were to act outside of the pods, etc., etc. And then at the very bottom was a paragraph that basically said, "We're going to do our best, but you still could catch the rona, so please be aware of that risk."

I really feel like it would be hard to convince a judge or jury that parents didn't know what they were getting into after signing all of that, but who knows.

The easiest answer would be to take the forms to a lawyer and ask.

I would be extremely surprised if the pod people (lol) had a legal firm draft the agreements as this all sounds like a bunch of rich people just trying to find a way to throw money at the problem of remote schooling so they don't have to deal with their own kids.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

toplitzin posted:

Who needs pods anyway?

Mass. parents knew kid had coronavirus, sent him to 1st day of school anyway, officials say

At what point does "knowingly transmitting a disease" in a pandemic rise to a chargeable offense?
I believe there is something akin to precedent, from the case of Nushawn Williams.

Who would be culpable? The parents for sending him to school? The student for going anyway? Both?

This current government probably isn't going to be willing to charge anyone so it'll all be down to civil suits.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Not a problem if you fold your slice to eat it

Doesn't that just make it harder to cut with a knife?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

I think the royal theater Shakespeare company uses a legit skull of a former actor for their reproductions of Hamlet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Tchaikowsky#Skull

They used it once without letting the public know it was real until after the play, then said they stopped using it but kept using it secretly for the whole production.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Appellant was licensed to practice law in Texas

Appellant testified he made a bad choice because he was trying to develop a substantial oil and gas practice.

Wars have been waged for less, not a bad plan exactly.

quote:

Due to the death of his trial attorney, appellant was required to obtain new counsel to represent him in a second trial on the criminal charges.   Appellant's new counsel reviewed the conspiracy laws with appellant and appellant, for the first time, realized he might have violated those laws

This is the funniest poo poo. It took 2 lawyers to properly convince a lawyer he broke the law.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wait, was everything prior to this done without a lawyer? All the pre-divorce agreements? And the "agreements" never filed?

Was there nothing legally on paper prior to the divorce?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

"Sorry your co-worker threatened to rape and murder you, and then the company fired us both to cover it up. But you know, they have a right to protect themselves!"

Father of the year.

the corporate kool-aid hits everyone a little different. some people take a sip and pass while others gulp it down and ask for a 2nd cup with even more cyanide in it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Happy Thread posted:

It wasn't some leisurely unannounced trip, she was going home to take care of her dad who came down with severe dementia. Due to COVID closing in she wasn't sure if she would be stuck there forever or not. Turns out yes. So she had brought everything small that she couldn't live without and had to part ways with the rest, even all her stuff of sentimental value.

These two roommates were part of our larger friends group for years, so no they were not just business before this.

When someone is forced to make a tragic and uncertain move during an emergency, and they're you're friend, you take care of them. You don't take the opportunity to extort them for bogus charges and $150 per hour phone calls. Maybe you do, but I don't. My friend absolutely is not a pain in the rear end, never was, and was a total pushover of a roommate who got bullied into doing all the chores. She didn't deserve this.

Those all sound like personal problems. Do you think a judge or lawyer is going to take any of those into consideration in a legal dispute?

The situation is either a valid legal dispute or it isn't. That's why you pay a lawyer to tell you what to do next.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I like to think of it as the XZibit Exhibit.

"Yo Dawg, I heard you like pink lemonade, so we put a giant pink lemonade dispenser on your car, so you can drink lemonade while you drive!"

100% of the time, he says "I heard you like" instead of asserting that he knows you like. Plausible deniability. All he's got is hearsay, it's inadmissable. This is somehow important due to legal precedents in the realm of Ride Pimping.

or if you listen to xzibit talk about that show what he mostly says is "I didn't say 'put a ugly rear end chandelier in that ride' that was some moron running the show, i just showed up for a day, filmed a bunch of lines, and got paid"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

feelix posted:

"I know how bad it can be I've seen it blah blah" dog have you heard of sampling bias? No wonder y'all got a degree that's about memorizing a bunch of boring poo poo (law), not a degree about critical thinking (I, a doctor of engineering)

Yeah the one thing I know about how the law works is they don't ever have to think about anything

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I drive a old junker and had been carrying the cheapest possible insurance I could figuring what the heck, anything more then a fender bender is gonna cost more then the car value to repair. Seeing this exchange I decided to check on my UIM coverage.

Seems pretty poo poo, guess it would be like a grand or more for better coverage

Huh, well I'd be pretty stupid not to make those changes.

Glad something like this finally caught my attention to make me check up on and care more about my car insurance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

Don't run into anything expensive with that property damage limit

Driving past the faberge egg store on my way to work is my way of living dangerously.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

null_pointer posted:

This thread made me check my property damage limits. It was 50k but I upped it to 100k, which cost all of 4 bucks. Thank you paranoid legal goons.

Going from 10k to 100k was $22. Guess there's no reason to go for the absolute cheapest when the 6mo cost increase is literally a weeks worth of gas or less.

Honestly, spending 5 mins checking really made me question anyone dumb enough to carry the rock bottom cheapest insurance for their car, much less a car worth more then a few thousand dollars. Guessing insurance companies make a ton of off it just cutting checks for those bare minimum policies and not having to fight or spend time paying lawyers to argue with the other side.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

Regarding this news story from a few years ago:

Morally, I completely agree with the father not being charged. I'm curious about the legal reasoning. Clearly it was a severe assault which could have been charged but I'm guessing he didn't get charged either because either the DA didn't feel it was morally wrong, he acted in defense of his son, or, there is no way a jury would convict.

What do you think the reasoning was? Would it be different if the father had beat him to death?

It's Florida.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

homullus posted:

lawyers are a PITA

and not the good kind, like you want

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What about the powered scooter carts? Do transportation law now apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

That's exactly it. But the bigger picture is that I'm trying to convince him that he needs to at least have a consultation with a lawyer before going through with the divorce to see if the "agreements" the wife came up with will hold any water in court.

Either he gets a lawyer or in a couple of years he's the divorced guy who won't shut the gently caress up about how "unfair" the courts are to men in divorce cases.