Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Franco Caution posted:

The whole "V8 has to go away....act now. Never coming back" talk is not going to last.
I give Dodge a year before they magically find a way to start putting those back in Chargers and Challengers.

They will lobby or say its too hard to make batteries, and get extensions.
It's going to be years and years before manufacturers figure out how to have BEV only fleets on their lots at price points people are going to be able to stomach.

Not a V8 fan, but I'm going E85 next year or so with my car. Fortunately Saabs are really good at that, even the old 900s like mine. And ethanol production is getting more efficient and doesn't require food to be made, though economics probably will keep that an important part for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Inner Light posted:

This take is not wrong per se. If you do have money to burn in the interests of aesthetics (material choices in cabin and suspension and power train) an A4/A6 will be noticeably nicer and better than Japanese counterparts like an Accord. But the differences have obviously lessened over the years with homogenization.

Homogenization is a good word for describing car design nowadays. Nadir is another fave of mine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

meltie posted:

Yeah, I was posting it to agree with you, when a manufacturer puts an ev drivetrain into something it genericises the car, I agree.

Even making something as iconic as a Series Landie into an EV ends up taking most of the personality out of it.

I don't really think it's a bad thing for 95% of the people on the road, they just need An Driving Appliance, not a pet. Things tend toward kammback soapblobs which quietly go bzzzm for 200 miles. That's fine.

It just fills me with a bleakness about the future. Just less and less to look forward to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The increasing lack of manuals on newer cars is yet another thing I have issues with. I like shifting and the simple robustness of a manual. It's just as well I will never even be in the position to afford a new car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I feel very safe in my Saab 900 without airbags or ABS brakes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been feeling this for a while, that gas engines provided most of the personality of a car and there's no personality to an EV. I'd hope to be proven wrong, but the future just looks very bland.

I'm extremely curious exactly what Mazda is going to do with the next generation Miata. Some type of mild hybrid is coming, but it's the Miata and I'm sure they're not going to gently caress it up. Europe still gets Miatas and the Subaru BRZ and such, right?

I personally think cars managed to become extremely bland and boring just fine even with gas engines. So I don't think it's the EVs fault.

It's just as someone said, cars will become like smart phones. They will all look alike, run the same hardware and software basically and there will be little to nothing a person can do to the car in terms of maintenance, repair or modification outside a locked in service chain, which will probably be designed so the vehicle lifespan will be short compared to older vehicles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

US buyers overwhelming prefer SUVs and trucks even at a price premium over a comparable sedan.

Alot of people are very dumb

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

If I’m forced to give up sedans or 4 door hatchbacks I’m getting a base model land cruiser. I refuse to drive a cuv for any reason. They’re incredibly boring. Even my Jetta is more fun to drive and that’s not saying much.

I'm just gonna drive old cars forever. I think I will have to acquire some scrap cars just to keep around as spares.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Neither of them are new now, but my (soon to be) 15 year old Corolla gets a bit better fuel mileage than my old 1990s Mazda. Despite being bigger, heavier (probably more aerodynamic though) with bigger more powerful engine.

Same size fuel tanks at 50L. If I really stretched it out I could get about 550km or so with the Mazda, and a bit over 600 with the Corolla.

My 1990 Saab with 2.0l engine and turbo gets 29mpg, which americans think is fine mileage based on what I can read online. I kinda think it's on the high side but other saab owners says it's on the better side for a turbo model actually.

I'm contemplating putting a type 9 primary in it along with bigger injectors (431s), advance the timing and running it on E85. Doing the latter is very common here and it increases fuel consumption, but E85 is a lot cheaper and with bigger injectors and advanced timing you get a lot more lower end torque and alot more boost since the octane rating is like 104, you can also mod your APC unit for even more boost at higher rpms. I think a type 9 primary would make the car unpleasant to drive on gas in stock mode, but do the E85 mods and ity should be fine and possibly offset the fuel consumption increase. I want to optimize this car for cruising around 50-70 mph. Given the cost of a type 9 though, it's not an economically defensible idea even with gas prices being what they are it would take several years to recoup, but it would be fun...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

dissss posted:

US gallons and Imperial gallons are for some stupid reason different sizes which often trips people up when comparing fuel economy.

I always defaullt to US gallons though. I count mileage in l/100km anyway.

Hadlock posted:

29mpg for anything older than about 2005 is pretty drat good IMO yeah

My parents 1998 Mazda 626 gets a whopping 50mpg but it won't run properly on anything except premium gas.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We'll never cars looking this nice again. It's all iphones on wheels from here on out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Godzilla07 posted:

2nd gen CTS-V coupes don't appear to fetch a price premium over the sedan. Personally I'd go for a Corvette or a 6th-gen Camaro at the price a CTS-V coupe is going for.

Nissan has created a Hardbody Edition trim for the Frontier, inspired by the classic Nissan pickup truck. MSRP for this trim is $42,095.

I wish for regulations on blind zones and "viewability" that would kill this absurd pedestrian crushing high hood look forever on cars.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buy my 07 Yaris :v:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

moist turtleneck posted:

they have a good argument for the 40%, the CEOs get bumps like that while they tell the union workers that there's just no money in the budget for a raise

there was someone that had been paid the same amount every year from 2016-2023 because they needed to "make sacrifices" to keep the oem afloat

"Dawnya Ferdinandsen builds transmissions for Chevy Silverados and other trucks at a GM plant in Ohio. This summer, she was earning $27 an hour - the same as what she was making when she was hired in 2016. While CEOs enjoy their luxury watches and second homes, she says, workers like her face tough choices."

"GM last year disclosed that Mary Barra's compensation was 362 times that of the median worker at GM"

I can't even pretend to keep up with american wages, 27 dollars an hour and there are tough choices? I my world that's some crazy amount of money if you work a regular 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

GoutPatrol posted:

When I bought my first new car in 2019 I thought "I think I'll have this car for 10 years." And now I think I will ride it until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully won't be in 2029. Things are expensive.

More and more cars are getting scrapped because of expensive electronic failures and things in general being designed so you have to swap things out wholesale instead of just the one faulty component.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

That's gross income, pre-tax, so they're taking home less. Median rent in the US is more than $2,000/mo and you're paying more than that in any city you've ever heard of: https://www.rent.com/research/average-rent-price-report/

The median used car payment is more than $500/mo now and new is much higher, of course. Childcare is more than $1000/mo anywhere in the country and dramatically higher in cities. You don't get to live a middle class American life with a house, car, and kids for $27/hr.

Yeah I figured it was gross. I knew you had some crazy rear end expenses in america but didn't know you need almost double the wages to live comfortably (or not as the case seems to be). And I know so many americans who make a lot less than I do. Just how do they live? I got a new house, 3 cars* and live pretty comfortably, granted rural nowhere in Finland, at far less than 27 an hour, if I had that I could probably pay off the mortgage in 2 years and be debt free.

*All old rear end cars without any payments on them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Why not just the Honda S660.

Mazda has some new ideas for a diesel engine. As always it sounds interesting but I'd want to see it work in practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-fTsqoU3Y

I think that's a gasoline engine?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently now the X2 crossover-coupe thing exists while it didn't when I was at the BMW HQ/museum a few weeks back.

I don't like it so they'll probably sell millions.

Looks like it could be any of the bunch of 2014-2020 SUVs that line up the parking space at my workplace.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s crazy how little of that rear window area is actually window. This things gonna have blind spots as big as the moon.

I don’t buy the idea that it’s anything but a terrible design choice. If the A pillar is big enough to support the roofline (on rollover) at a 60 degree angle, there’s no way the near vertical D pillar couldn’t be as small as or smaller.

I have a hard time understanding why pillars must be so massive on modern cars when my old saab with it's slimmer pillars can hold the roof up even if the car is dropped from a height, nevermind a rollover. That car btw is so great to reverse in because it gives such a good feel of where all the car is, my Yaris feels clumsier to navigate in despite being smaller.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeNeCactorg&t=99s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

KakerMix posted:

I want the fake manual in my EV because fun = good especially since it's super simple considering and you can turn it off.

Nothing about modern cars makes sense at all, most of all 0-60 times in 3 seconds. If one is ok then we can go ahead and have a fake manual. Nobody needs their super huge trucks or their raked rear hatch areas in their ~sport~ SUVs or their ultra low profile tires on giant wheels or their button less touch screens.

Yeah feels a bit strange that a fake manual is what hangs you up considering all the bullshit with new cars nowadays.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I love sedans and hatchbacks :(

Death to SUVs

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah wagons too (known as combis in sweden, "farmers" in finland for some reason). Actually still hold the lead over suvs here but I fear the future will be unkind....

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think it looks terrible, something about the high hoods and squashed front, but at least it's cheap.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

They're called louvres.

Really add something to a car IMO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the most ragged out early 1990s Camaros and Firebirds to ever exist always had louvres.

Mine didn't :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is obviously going to be spendy but man, it's just all it really needs to be even though I hate big stuff.

https://twitter.com/herrmanndigital/status/1732635775697899622?t=sgZS7ATbLJrqUF1S8B0Qjw&s=19

Those interior 80s control are perfection!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guinness posted:

I feel like auto makers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot with their whole approach to EVs where they must all be Tesla-alikes with way too much software and “different because the future” decisions that throw out perfectly good and well-proven designs. It’s really no surprise then that GM, famous for their high quality software engineering, is churning out turds.

A lot of the same crap is leaking into regular cars, too, but seems like every EV on the market is trying to reinvent every wheel and be whiz-bang futuristic at the cost of… well everything. Complexity, reliability, usability, and cost of ownership.

For the promise of how much simpler EVs could be compared to ICE, they sure find a thousand unnecessary ways to poo poo them up instead.

We went through something similar with hybrids like 15-20 years ago when they all had to be weird statement pieces instead of just making typical cars better — which now many cars are hybrids and you’d never know it. Please just do the same with EVs.

I’m very bullish on EVs over the coming years but the current crop is largely disposable trash.

I just want a car that looks like it came from the 1980s, but have a modern efficient engine. gently caress infotainment.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TheBacon posted:

I have found the solution:

Well in my case it'd be more like this. Turn on english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs26qS0ezdM

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Your failure points are another mans features

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's pretty much the sweet spot. Bluetooth, maybe a heated wheel and nav. What more do you need.

As for bluetooth and nav I got that in my phone and it can be constantly updated and kept modern. I wouldn't actually want it built in. Just something that will get old and unsupported with time.

A heated wheel would rock though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Russian Bear posted:

Oh I see, I assumed the trunk lid would have to be replaced (maybe just the picture making the alignment look weird). That’s a $2800 part alone (here anyway).

In my impression prices (and wages for some) have pulled away in the US while they remained more or less static in europe for like 20 years now. Causing an ever increasing gap in the perception of prices and costs.

Also my impression used car prices and parts prices are a lot higher in the US.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

aren't most family farms gone in the US and replaced by big corporations

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TheMadMilkman posted:

I used to drive a 1999 Toyota Sienna and now drive a 2024 4Runner, and I completely agree. In my defense, though, I'm 2 miles away from fire roads and trails leading into the Wasatch Mountains, so there is the realistic chance that I will go off-road. At least that's the hope.

CUVs CAN be easier to get in and out of compared to a sedan, but a Rav4 or a Corolla Cross handles that without the need to be insanely large, and both of those get fairly good gas mileage. And minivans sit just as high. And minivans are hated by late Gen-X / Millennials because that's what their parents drove, and there is nothing worse than becoming your parents. But I've said it before and I'm sure I'll mention it again. Every single person I know who has purchased a minivan was upset at first, but after 6 months couldn't imagine life without it. Ours was a godsend when we had 2 small children.

We've toted our two kids around in a yaris and a mazda 6 for the last 10 years, even went on a car trip on the mazda last year. We even got a twin baby carriage into the yaris trunk. though any shopping bags needed to go in the rear leg room which was not an issue since the kids sat in baby chairs then. For such a small car it can swallow loads.

My own parents have never driven anything but sedans or hatchbacks and only ever Mazdas since I was born. Infact since 1981 my parents have had a total of three cars. A 323, a 626 and their current last gen 626 which they love too much to get rid of until it fails severely.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cached Money posted:

I'm sure you can still make a car that feels like an old Caprice or Roadmaster if you really wanted. But that would cost more money to develop rather than making oversized trucks and pretending they are "commercial vehicles" to evade emission and safety regulations.

Sounds like a loophole in need of closing

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ours is a 2005 model, it's a horrible rust bucket if mechanically sound and reliable, to anyone who is adverse to welding on cars I wouldn't recommend it. I've replaced the drivers side sills and need to do the same to the passenger side. I've also got rust on three out of 4 doors, the trunk and all the fenders. I've fixed about half of it so far.

Last inspections found another rust hole on a structural part so that's getting welded hopefully this weekend or next.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Bad news about the 6:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mazda-6-lives-on-australia-after-japan-axing/

They just announced they've killed it here too: https://autocar.co.nz/mazda6-culled-from-new-zealand-line-up/

I think they're fantstic looking, for some reason the sedan gives me modern Jag vibes?

The only way this is gonna get solved is legislative action to punish SUV style cars to make them less desirable.

E: gg france, well a city in france.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/27/france-crack-down-suv-drivers-britain-city-streets
https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/11/23/suvs-could-be-the-latest-casualty-of-climate-change-as-paris-tries-to-drive-them-out

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 2, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Neo_Crimson posted:

Car company makes a car that enthusiasts say they want, car enthusiasts bitch about it online and don't buy it. Car company takes it off the market and car enthusiasts wonder why car companies don't do anything cool.

It's the circle of life.

They haven't made a car I would want since about 2005-ish when the Volvo V70 peaked. Just keep getting worse in all the ways that matter to me, also uglier while also more expensive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Except Hyundai made undoubtfully godawful cars, there's a load of Chinese cars that are very decidedly not godawful that are fully capable of cleaning up the bottom to mid end that other car makers have vacated / not really taking seriously AND they arent so bone headed as locking themselves into big rear end shitboxes.

BYD for example is far larger as well than most in the west understand and have in some cases their tech has gotten ahead of western makers liek blade batteries and being an enormous bus baker, they have made over 3 million cars last year (and growing a a massive rate), 100,000 EV buses and well over 10,000 EV trucks overall.

It's more and more likely BYD and co are going to be huge presence going forward.

Or they will get sanctioned for price dumping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Infinotize posted:

I went and sat in an Ioniq the other day finally and it was like... completely normal sized. It's the size of a new CRV. Ok just barely bigger. But I don't get why people have an issue with that, if it was smaller inside no one would buy it, like no one bought a honda E. People don't go, a CRV oh my god what a monstrosity.

euphronius posted:

One of my neighbors has a 1986 caprice classic . I haven’t seen him drive it for years. He had it out yesterday and its tiny !! I remember in the 1980s the caprice was a huge car. Things are getting hosed up

Peoples sense of normalcy is indeed getting hosed up.