Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Stellantis and GM lots are super full, Toyota still doesn't have any cars.

https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1661027716903186432?s=20

The MSRP on a non-V8 Ghibli is $93k? Why is the discount only $10k and not like $35k lol

I don't understand the Tacoma, it's not like a Z06 or something that's production constrained, it's consistently the best selling midsize pickup on the market and outsells all its competitors, but somehow there are still people paying more for a used one than a new one? Who are these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Why have Honda and Toyota never shipped a car with a DCT anyway? Is it long-term reliability concerns, which I know Toyota is really worried about, or something else? Hell, Honda has DCTs that they put in their motorcycles, why not cars?

Both the last gen TLX and ILX had Honda made DCTs. The Honda DCTs had torque converters, which defeated the entire purpose of a DCT aside from sidestepping the need to build their own torque converter autos and getting into IP entanglements with existing transmission makers. Honda came up with their own completely different hybrid system to get to about the same performance as a Prius for the same reason - they like building things in-house even when outsourcing it makes more economic sense.

DCTs were a thing that Ferdiand Piech pushed because he wanted to get away from having to buy automatic transmissions from third party suppliers. The biggest maker of automatic transmissions is the world is a Toyota subsidiary. It didn't work because DCTs are a dumb dead end technology and VWs today still use Toyota automatic transmissions.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

McTinkerson posted:

For better or worse, Suzuki might be the reason we are finally getting our Jetsons future.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/japans-suzuki-make-flying-cars-with-skydrive-2023-06-20/

https://www.stellantis.com/en/news/press-releases/2023/june/stellantis-archer-move-partnership-from-concept-phase-to-execution-phase

Chrysler is already there. Flying grand caravan Canada value edition already in the pipeline.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Franco Caution posted:

I just don't like touching a screen, in a vehicle, ever. I like being able to reach over while driving with my hand and by feel, touch, and turn off and on buttons.
I hate seeing fingerprint smudges all over too.
Dead serious, I have never once touched the infotainment screen on my CX5. I always just use the dial to get everywhere.

There is an X5 M50i at the local dealership. I could try to do a test drive and see how annoying the gigantic skateboard screen is with its needed touching, but that's drat near a 100k car so they might hesitate to throw me the keys.
Wouldn't mind trying i4 either but those are almost always spoken for as soon as they come in.

The current 3 series has the big screen as well, should be plenty of those around.

I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like the system it replaced was some paragon of user friendliness anyway.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The c7 Corvette is really growing on me now that I see c8s on the road and how ugly they are in real life. A MT c7 seems like a good buy and hold currently.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I went t test drive an A6 Allroad at the local Audi store like 6 months ago and they've been sending me weekly updates on this 2021 C8 Corvette they're trying to unload? It's down to the low $80s now. Weird.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Presumably theyre talking about actually interesting colors and not literally wallpaste beige.

Also there's an adult film actress named Brooklyn Grey. So you don't have to Google this at work like I just did. :eng99:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Certain companies apparently just didn't lock in their suppliers in time and are now hosed, like Ford and Toyota. Meanwhile Wrangler and Grand Cherokee hybrids are approaching 50% of the sales mix for their models because Chrysler bought up All The Batteries.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A lot of cars with diesel variants in other countries also have an extra filler for the urea mix, and the gas model will just use the same set of filler parts and panels, many just have a blank spot on the gas model for where the extra filler would be.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The width of the rear hatch expands all t way to the very edge of each side, the width of the entire car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

They still sell the Nissan Leaf. They have since like 2010. They didn't sell very many last year. It's pretty much exactly what you're describing, a cheap little car to "tootle" around in. Google says they sold 14K last year. Tesla sold like 240K Model 3's in 2022. The Chevy Bolt by all accounts is a great car. Didn't sell very well (until the incentives went nuts on them)

Would it be cool to have a little electric car in addition to my other cars to tootle to the store and back or drive the 3 miles to Karate with my kid and back? yeah, it would be cool, but I don't have the space for vehicle like that, nor do I want to deal with insuring, maintaining, and registering a 3rd tootle around vehicle.

Most people want a normal car experience from an EV, and that's what kind of EV's are selling. So that's what manufacturers are going to build. You think it's the manufacturers telling us what we need, but it's the opposite, the consumer is dictating with their pocketbook and the auto manufacturers are going to build what sells.

The Leaf had some issues - air cooled battery that couldn't live long enough in hot climates, a DC charging plug/standard (CHADEMO) that now is essentially no longer used outside of Japan and apparently difficult to adapt to the Tesla/CCS plug. The Bolt I thought kept being pulled off the market on and off because the LG Chem batteries kept catching fire and GM was chasing its own tail either suing LG Chem or trying to get a new supplier or whatever. I think the VW ID.4 has a whole bunch of dumb issues as well, all these are essentially because GM/Nissan/VW are Bad at Cars and not inherent to electricity.

Since America is set on the path to cold war with China (where the vast majority of EVs in the world are made) at this point the market for affordable EV is more like "used Tesla" instead of "new electric Cavalier".

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 22, 2023