Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Those are the coolest seats I've ever seen.

Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

adding weight to an Exige or Elise is just...wrong.
I liken it to making a lowrider giraffe, it pretty much eliminates the one reason the thing was cool in the first place.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Oh finally, I've been waiting for a production Bluesport roadster. Not that the US will ever see the diesel version :(

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

You may have heard about Lotus' new 2010 F1 car, the T127 with a 2.4l Cosworth V8, but wanted something a little more tame

Worry no more thanks to the all new track-only Lotus T125 Exos (equipped with a 3.5l Cosworth V8 putting out 640bhp) that you can actually drive through the Lotus "Exos Experience." I would love to know how exclusive that club is because drat :swoon:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

I don't know why but for some reason it looks more like the Panamera than the last 911.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Twin turbo ecoboost 2l straight 6

:getin:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The DSG is troublesome, the manual is only a 5 speed and it has less power and torque and also gets slightly worse crash safety scores.
Am I missing something? The Sonic puts down 138hp with it's top engine (The 1.4 turbo) whereas the base model Focus makes 159hp.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Eagerly waiting to see what tuning shops can do with the 1.0l Ecoboost. Spec Fiesta would be nice, as would a switchover for Formula Ford to the Ecoboost prototype:

(My god do I want this thing)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

The Panther platform is the greatest, best car platform God has ever given man on the face of the earth :colbert:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

The King of Swag posted:

Why do they burden us with such monstrosities when we used to be blessed with such beauties?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

kill me now posted:

Thats a very cool direction to go, but a 32 second 0-50 :drat:
Not sure what's up with that article other than it being pretty old. I see a lot of recent sources pointing at 12.7 seconds 0-62mph
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volkswagen-xl1-2013-02-22 for example

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Isn't it because the clearcoat for the unpainted carbon fiber costs something like sixty grand a gallon?
It's more likely that it's the difference between the "Look at me" carbon weave they'd clearcoat and the structural carbon everyone uses for painted panels.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Wasn't the Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.4's problems inherent to the design and the not the quality of manufacture? Mainly the emissions regulation hardware? Going by what the powerstrokehelp guy was saying about the motor if you took all the emissions regulation stuff off (hence all the DPF delete kits and such) the motor worked great. You'd just get busted by the DOT.
The 6.0 and 6.4 were both designed and built by Navistar, the new 6.7 IIRC is the the first actual Ford in-house Powerstroke.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

No, it means you can now take a full pallet of sandblasting sand. meaning no more throwing bags.

Or a full 275 gallon water tote

or a full pallet of decorative rock.
Or enough osage-orange to cremate 1870lbs of human remains!

(I got into a weird conversation and did some even weirder research, don't judge me)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

angryhampster posted:

On another note...Elon Musk is going to do what?
He knows exactly what he's doing. This is coming from the man who wanted to make a Model E just so they'd spell out SEX.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

According to Enrico Fermi 2015 Miata will have 10 wheels, 1 wheel drive, weigh 1,000lbs, have a 1,000cc engine making 100hp, and cost $10,000.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Keep in mind the EPA highway portion of the test tops out at 60 mph and averages 48 mph. Aerodynamic drag increases with the square of velocity, 75 vs 48 is huge.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

The EPA tests are garbage; the highway test tops out at 60mph (takes nearly 30 seconds to get there) and averages 48mph. Even their new "high speed" test averages 48mph with a few seconds at 80mph.

The distance and test durations are also much, much shorter than I expected for something consumers use to cross shop quite often:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Yes.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Ford is making more money than ever right now but investors are wanting for a more young, "car 2.0" company like Tesla and it's slamming Ford's stock price as a result.

It's dumb.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

It's also not really HCCI :colbert:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/eBooster.aspx

I'm not sure exactly how it's powered, most electric compressors like those need a 48V system to produce useful boost.
The 3.0l straight sixes from Mercedes are all rocking 48v systems now. The tech has definitely moved on from the PC case fans stuck in cold air intakes from eBay that were all the rage a decade ago.

Zero to full boost in about a quarter second, about 6kW of draw peak at 48v. They aren't designed to provide continuous power, just enough to drop the time-to-torque down to ridiculously low levels while the larger conventional turbo comes into play. Should help alleviate the problem with the current mountain of downsized turbocharged engines running out of breath at the top end since you can run a larger turbo and gain low end torque.
:science:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

The more time you spend in the industry the more you realize the term "German engineering" is not complimentary.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

KakerMix posted:

hahah when was the last time you stood next to a car and the roof was below your nipples

edit
A new car
Nearly every day if I walk by most any coupes? The Mustang and Camaro are only 2-3" taller now than in their first generations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

The current crop of GM trucks have bed sides that are right at 60" off the ground, completely miserable to load anything into them by hand. The depth of the beds is actually causing problems for people using 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers, lots of dented tailgates and beds.

The 2019s are supposed to be even taller :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One day mainstream cars will be made of materials other than mild steel. The moment the first mass-produced car with a carbon fibre and aluminium frame rolls off the production line it will be a glorious day (and I'll likely be long dead).
1999 was primed and ready to be that day but everyone was too busy buying 150 times more Camrys and F150s