Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mercedes-AMG is releasing a new 5.5L twin turbo V8 to replace the current 6.3L V8.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110030124814/mercedes-amg-new-twin-turbo-55-litre-v8-engine-revealed

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658741-1-1279005-1-0-0-0-0-1-11700-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1270046220615

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mercedes introduced a CLS station wagon concept at the Beijing Motor show.

If it goes into production I imagine it'll probably replace the R-Class.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/23/beijing-2010-mercedes-benz-cls-shooting-break-concept-is-the-fo/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey y'all peep the new QX-56.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Edit: oopsie table broken, that should do it.
I think it looks better than the current one. v:unsmith:v

Although the side vents look out of place.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

It looks like Infiniti's headlight suppliers went, "Oh you want us to make some lamps for a big butch SUV? What if we just tweak what we give you for your other cars just a bit? That good?"
Brand identity, etc., etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

All current Cadillacs, except for the DTS, have some sort of vents in the front fender. Buick also puts portholes on the Enclave and Lucerne.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 27, 2010

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Edit, not quote.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

Remember back before the new Mustang came out when we couldn't stop posting about the Nissan GTR? The 2012 is out, with the addition of 45 hp and what looks to be the interior of a 1970s Cadillac. I am OK with both of these things. :clint:
Yup, power has been upgraded to 523-hp with a maximum torque of 451 lb-ft of torque available from 3,200 to 6,000 rpm. The Spec-V version has 466 lb-ft of torque. All GTRs also have new VDC programming to improve vehicle balance under heavy braking and new lightweight wheels.

There's also a new "Egoist" version that allows the customer to custom order the vehicle any way they want.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 18, 2010

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The GTR is basically the same size as a Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Corvette. I guess compared to a Ferarri or Lamborghini it's large, but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

2010 Corvette

Height - 48.7"
Length - 175.6"
Width - 75.9"

2010 Mustang

Height - 55.6"
Length - 188.1"
Width - 73.9"

So the Mustang is 7" taller, about a foot longer, and 2" narrower. That seems "pretty close" in size to me.

For comparison purposes the GTR fits in between the Mustang and Corvette in terms of size.

2010 GTR

Height - 54.0"
Length - 183.1"
Width - 74.9"

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 19, 2010

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

grover posted:

You don't think a foot of length and 7" of height are a huge difference?
No, not really.

quote:

Also, the mustang is about 350lbs heavier than the corvette. The GTR is 650lbs heavier.
I'm not surprised, I figured the Corvette would be a lot lighter than the GT-R but I was only looking at external dimensions.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Third Man posted:

You can't be serious. That's roughly the difference between a 3 and 5 series BMW, and those cars handle very differently. I mean, it's not night and day, but it's certainly not insignificant enough to just lump them into the same category.
I wasn't talking about handling or anything. The original post commented that the GT-R was a huge car, and I just said it wasn't that big it was about the same size as the Corvette and Mustang which are similiar in size. I don't deny they're different cars with different characteristics, I was only commenting on their exterior dimensions.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone eve wish for a convertible Nissan Murano?

2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

World Debut - Nov. 17th at the Los Angeles Auto Show

The world’s first all-wheel drive crossover convertible, delivers the open-air exhilaration of a convertible while extending the versatility of the Murano in exciting new ways. With room for four adults, space for golf bags or luggage (even with the top down), and a premium level interior, the Murano CrossCabriolet represents a breakthrough in concept and design. Set to go on sale in early 2011.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Some renderings of Infiniti's EMERG-E mid-engined hybrid sports car concept were leaked over the weekend.

It's going to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show next month.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/infiniti-emerg-e-mid-engine-sports-car-concept-revealed-geneva-auto-show/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

What makes the rear so Fisker Karma like? Lights and exhaust placement?
It's an evolution of the Essence concept , but it's probably the narrower tail lights.

rscott posted:

That 3/4 front render looks awful. Everything else is kind of nice though so maybe it's just perspective?
Yeah, it's a CAD rendering and they don't show perspective very well.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Photos of Infiniti's Emerge-E concept vehicle have leaked out ahead of the Geneva autoshow. The earlier images were renderings but these are actual photos.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone interested in a 545HP AWD hot hatch with a dual clutch gear box?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-juke-r.html

It's a Nissan Juke that's been lowered and has the complete 2012 GT-R drivetrain in it. Nissan has confirmed a limited run due to "overwhelming demand".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Linedance posted:

I'm guessing the "AN" doesn't stand for "Awfully Nice".
SAAN = Smile And Act Nice. It was a "website by girls, for girls" but it was basically a female version of SA.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Chevy system sounds like the Nissan/Infiniti VVEL system which continuously varies lift and timing on the intake and exhaust valves.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One of the guys I work with was looking at a Tesla roadster 2 or 3 years ago. He ended up not getting it becuase the Tesla rep said that all major servicing had to be done in the US. That means that the car had to be shipped from Canada down to a Tesla service centre in the US at the owner's expense.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2012

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

The interesting thing for me is that they are offering AWD. The current gen Qporte is the only sedan on the market to use a rear transaxle, like a Corvette, which allows them to shove the engine all the way back into the firewall and basically make it the world's only mid-engined full size sedan.
Actually, they changed the entire underpinnings of the Quattroporte shortly after launch to use a conventional automatic transmission with a torque converter attached to the rear of the engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2007-maserati-quattroporte-automatic-first-drive-review

quote:

Up to now, the Maserati Quattroporte was a fine, sporty luxury sedan that was let down by one thing — its DuoSelect transmission, an automated manual similar to the one used by stablemate Ferrari in the F430 and 599GTB. Instant, brutal gearshifts seem to enhance the race-car-style experience in an F430, and the clunky automatic mode doesn't seem to be a problem, either.

But in a luxury sedan, the DuoSelect's superfast manual shifts and clunky automatic mode make for poor bedfellows. In response to relatively disappointing Quattroporte sales — 3374 sold in the U.S. between its debut in the fall of 2004 and the end of 2006 — Maserati has fitted the car with a six-speed ZF automatic transmission. The DuoSelect model, which stays in the lineup, has a rear transaxle with a torque tube betwixt the engine and final drive. To fit the automatic, Maserati had to make several major changes. The torque tube is gone, and in its place are a conventional differential and a two-piece driveshaft. The engine now has a wet-sump oil system in place of the DuoSelect's dry-sump arrangement.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ziploc posted:

Worth noting that some cars have a seperate set of injectors for response and valve cleaning. Like the FRS.

Toyota's 2GR-FSE engine found in the Lexus IS350 uses the dual injector approch. Port injection is used during warm up and certtain low RPM applications. The engine then switches over to DI during normal and high RPM applications. Port injection offers better combustion without requiring a restrictive intake port design to increase tumble flow.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

They're also having massive problems with the new 7 speed transmissions which all apparently run like poo poo while BMW and Audi have gone to the well regarded ZF 8 speed.
I actually just got rid of my 2009 G37 for a 2013 S4. The 7 speed in the G37 is fine, I had a car from the first batch delivered to North America. The problem is people (mainly guys in the early 20s) are driving around with the transmission in the "Sport" setting and then complaing on forums about how harsh the shifts are; especially the downshifts. It says right in the user guide that Sport mode will do this. Having driven in Sport mode vs. regular mode I can vouch for that. The shifts, especially the down shifts are harder but what do you expect? I just left my transmission in regular mode all the time becuase I wasn't interested in having the engine redlining in every day city traffic.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 19, 2012

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Devyl posted:

Wait for the Z51 option. It'll probably have one. What I'm curious about is the transmission as a whole. They claim it's a new transmission, but Tremec has had a 7-speed manual for a while now in medium-duty trucks. Maybe it was re-geared and re-packaged for the C7... It's all up in the air at this point and Tremec isn't talking to anyone about it.
Porsche has a 7 speed manual and 7 speed dual clutch transmission in the new 911.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wouldn't the MKS be the spiritual successor to the Town Car since it's a full size car and the MKZ be the successor the Continental since it's mid-size? Nevermind that the MKT livery edition is what's replacing the Town Car for fleet service.

Also, why does the MKZ have an antenna on the driver's side rear fender? I would have thought that it would be integrated into the rear window like all other radio antennas are. Would the sliding panorama roof interfere with the signal?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's anecdotal I know, but my parents had a first gen Acura RDX with a 2.4L Turbo 4 cylinder. It got worse fuel economy than their new second gen RDX with a 3.0L V6. The new one is also a lot smoother to drive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fknlo posted:

Doesn't one of the old Passat models have some sensor that likes to fail that requires you to drop the engine?
The O2 sensor on the W8 Passat.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

Has anyone ever found or talked to a person who bought an X6 and asked them why? I mean I see them all over the place but there must be an explanation somewhere for why it exists, or is forcing someone to admit to their own douchebaggery just too awkward?

I mean I can come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why someone would buy, say, the Pontiac Aztek - it's a boxy minivan with lots of plastic side cladding for minor offroad skirmishing, with plenty of interior room, even has this neat tent. Yeah it looks kind of stupid but I don't care about looks. There, done.

The X6? I'm baffled.
I know several people with X6s and they all say "it looks cool".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kill me now posted:

It is stupid to put $4k down on a lease because if your car gets totaled you won't get any of that money back. Your insurance pays off the lease company for the buyout value and pays nothing to you. You're then stuck coming up with a downpayment for your next lease if you want to keep the same payments on the new car.

Always do the minimum due at signing on a lease unless you like having a big chunk of your overall vehicle expense uninsured. Just understand that while the monthly payment will be higher the overall cost over the lease term will be within a few hundred dollars.
I think it depends on what kind of insurance you have. My sister had her leased Jeep totaled a few years ago and the insurance company paid off the lease and gave her the down payment back which she used towards her next car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DerDestroyer posted:

What car is that?
Toyota Auris. North America gets the Matrix instead.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Shin-chan posted:

I know, I want my RS6 so bad:

Bring it over as a sedan and I'll be happy. :)

Supposedly, that's why Audi didn't make a RS4 and RS6 sedan. It was too expensive to certify them them for the North American market based on the small number of sales they were forecasting. They didn't being over the RS4 and RS6 as wagons because they don't sell here.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

All the instruments and controls are red at night and my friend's Mercedes is an orange-red at night.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tekne posted:

The polarizing new Cherokee was able to make it through the Rubicon Trail unassisted: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151948897888765.1073741833.143647533764&type=1

I'm morbidly curious to see how this thing will sell.
I don't know if it's Jeep's target market but all the late 20 / early 30 year old girls I've spoken to (my sisters' friends) love the new Cherokee design.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Infiniti rebadged everything as "Q whatever" as Q was the only letter that they had the trademark for all possible alpha numeric combinations. They're planning on introducing additional engine choices on each model so the current naming scheme of letter + engine displacement would no longer work. However, they ran into problems when letter and number combinations they wanted to use had already been trademarked; hence the re-brand.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Hopefully we see some OEMs pick up that diesel engine.
Nissan is using it in the next gen Titan.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xguard86 posted:

They're building that boondoggle fighter jet with a bunch of cameras and an Occulus Rift like helmet to make the plane transparent to the pilot.

I don't think it works reliably and costs a billion dollars but hey, maybe they'll perfect it just in time for the self driving flying car to make the point moot.
I think the helmet is one of the coolest parts of the F-35.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

Relatively speaking I rarely see X6s or GTs outside of China. The X6 alone must be making a hefty dent in the US trade deficit with China because that's where most of them are probably being sold.
I guess it depends on where you live. X6s are just about as common as X5s around here.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Why can't Mercedes and BMW make the E63 and M5 sound like that Challenger. :(

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think the 1st gen Infiniti Q45 did something similar with its suspension. The left front and right rear (and vice versa) shocks were linked to allow the car to remain flat during cornering.

Here's a link to an ad for it: http://books.google.ca/books?id=SPw...ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2014

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Haha, I wonder if you can get the police package with Hellcat engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Midniter posted:

Infiniti is worse. Hope you fuckin' like the letter Q!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, with mercedes, letters = class number = ballpark engine size.

infiniti Q = has 4 wheels
number = who the gently caress knows
Audi's almost the same (hope you like the letter A) and no one seems to complain about that

With Audi it's
A = car
Q = suv
bigger number = higher model

With Infiniti it's:
Q = car
QX = suv
bigger number = higher model

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 9, 2014