Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Ummm two levers? The bottom lever goes down at which point the wheel cam tilt and telescope. Maybe it's really tight?

To add to the Fit chat I've been enjoying mine a lot. The 09+ is a lot quieter, a lot more stable on the highway and has more storage space. It handles well, the gearbox feels solid and steering response is good but it's not as tossable as the GD if that makes sense. I've been getting a solid 30mpg city and around 36 highway, the EPA estimates are a bit low.

The biggest advantage, and why I ended up with one rather than a 2 or Fiesta, is the fact that it has almost twice the cargo room compared to anything else in its class. I should post photos of the 55" TV, 6ft dresser, etc that I've moved. Last camping trip my car was able to fit 4 adults, 2 lage coolers, an RC plane plus all of our camping gear.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

InitialDave posted:

That chin. They have heard of approach angles, right? Or ruts? It's what, 8" lower than the sills or rear end?

I'm assuming it's a case of highway mpg > off roading.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
You're not alone, I feel like it's huge a step back styling wise.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
TOYOTAS ARE RELIABLE AND LAST FOREVER :smuggo:

The Toyota and Honda reputation markup is across the board for used vehicles whether it's true or not for that specific model.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 23, 2014

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Tacier posted:

I read somewhere that the Mirage is outselling the Yaris and Mazda2. Maybe the low price is resonating with people.

Every review has denounced it as a godawful car. I'm sure the people who are buying it only have "cheapest new car" as their only criteria.

It makes no sense; you could get a better cheaper car used or spend a little more and go with a competitor rather than buying the only lovely car in this segment. Literally any other car would be a vastly better choice than the Mirage.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah but somehow the Cavalier and Aveo kept selling to exactly this type of buyer.

My god, is this intentional? They're going to fill the vacuum and be the next Cavalier /Aveo on purpose?

Powershift posted:

But it's not the cheapest new car. It's 2 grand more than the versa sedan, and now 3 grand more than the micra. I don't think i could take a mitsubishi mirage owner seriously. If i found out somebody i was talking to bought a mitsubishi mirage new, i'm not sure i could talk to them like they were an adult.

I know the Micra is going to be sold in Canada only, I'm assuming it's the cheapest offering in the US.

I just feel like the offerings in this segment really say a lot about a manufacturers engineering, design and general business competency because of the slim margins and competition. If this is what Mitsubishi has to offer I don't know what to say.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2014

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The highest Patriot trim is $24k, the Compass tops out at $26k which makes no sense to me.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So wait, it's a cheap RWD/AWD manual transmission small vehicle with a hatch, turbo and available lowering kit?

I'm throwing my credit card at the screen but it's not working.

Reaaaally hoping it won't disappoint, I'd seriously consider trading in a couple of years. Unless they bring that compact Fiat truck.

Also I would totally put on an Abarth style exhaust on the 1.6 litre.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 5, 2014

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Franco Caution posted:

I have a feeling that anyone who buys the 1st year(maybe 2nd year too?) of the redesigned STI is going to be pissed off.
I dont see them sticking with the old engine config forever.
This to me seemed like they needed to get the STI out there, so they just phoned it in and threw the existing powerplant into the new body.

Happened with the last gen WRX; 09 got a 35hp bump plus suspension tweaks, 11 changed to the STI wide body. The first year non Coyote powered Mustang owners were really hosed over though.

Stealth Like posted:

I like nearly everything about it except that nav screen. Is it just me or does it look tacky as hell? It looks like they took some cheap tablet and mounted it on top of the center console. I thought that it was some nav thing they put in the car to find their way around at first.

I've noticed the trend as well, I think it's a good thing because you don't have to design the dash around a giant ungainly rectangle. Most of them retract into the dash as well.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Reviews for the 2015 Honda Fit are trickling in and it looks like it's more mainstream:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-honda-fit-hatchback-first-drive-review

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/09/2015-honda-fit-review-first-drive/

As it stands I see no reason to trade in my 13 Fit for the new model. It sounds like they didn't fix the gripes I have with my car (high rpm in overdrive, road noise, seat comfort), took away the things I do like (cargo space, steering and handling feel, storage pockets) and made some things worse (interior and exterior styling, clutch feel, higher belt line.)

I average 29/37 mpg with my manual transmission but maybe the new model will beat the EPA estimates too.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Coredump posted:

How well do adults fit in the back of the...Fit? I'm trying to decide between that or the first gen xB.

It's surprisingly roomy, the 2015 has more rear leg room than the new Accord. You should check one out and see the magic seat in action.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

PT6A posted:

Really, I can't imagine any amount of horsepower being a terrible thing, unless it's literally so powerful it's impossibly twitchy to drive. It's not like you're ever forced into using extra power you don't want.

Who's the goon that added so much power to his Corvette that it became undriveable and then sold it for a GTO that he then modded to point that it became undriveable and then sold that for another Corvette? Because that's what I think of.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chrysler is bringing back the Town & Country so Dodge is shaping up to be a performance brand. I can't see Ram not having some sort of commercial van.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Practically all the taxis here are Priuses. You have to respect a car that can withstand being operated as a fleet vehicle in -40c to 40c weather.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/16/dodge-mystery-small-pickup-fiat-rampage-spy/

Not sure how useful the Fiat Strada would be in terms of cargo capacity but a fuel efficient diesel with 4x4, a manual transmission and a bed would be fantastic all around vehicle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/20/2013-fiat-strada-first-drive-review/

:getin:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
MAZDA HAS A NEW SPORTS CAR CONCEPT GUYSSSSS

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-teases-sports-car-concept-not-a-miata-hopefully-rotary-powered/

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

MechaFrogzilla posted:

:same:

That is unbelievable. Something really appeals to me about having an extremely unassuming looking car with insane guts hidden inside. That 1000hp Odyssey is a holy terror, too. Wish it were camouflaged better, hahah.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Twerk from Home posted:

The Camaro feels confining in a way that isn't adequately represented with those visibility plots. You can't really see the sky above you, or the ground below you when you look to the side because the windows are only about 4" in height.

I say this as somebody who preferred how the Camaro drove, thought it was a better value, and then bought a Mustang anyway.

It's incredibly hilarious seeing people driving with the window down and trying to rest their arm on the sill.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know how serious you guys were about picking up the cheap Fiesta 1.0s, but I just went and loving bought one today. I am now the proud owner of this black (the correct color for a utilitarian Ford) hatchback ecoboost Fiesta:

Nice! Remaps are good for 145bhp, or you could go whole hog:

http://www.pumaspeed.com/product-Ford-Fiesta-10T-Ecoboost-205-bhp-Power-Upgrade_16791.jsp

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

LibCrusher posted:

The best sensible commuter car in America right now is a used Ford fusion titanium hybrid with ACC and LKA and cooled seats and 40mpg. Not fun in any way, but it’s easy as gently caress to put miles on and you can get one for cheaper than a new civic. I got a 2019 for 18k.

I had to see for myself and you weren't kidding. One year old top trim models are listed for 50 percent MSRP. What's going on here?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The FX4 looks pretty drat cool, but that package probably ain't cheap I imagine.

Can't wait to drive one of these.

The configurator is up, $800 but you need the 2.0L/AWD.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've got to say that while I would prefer the Golf SW to the Alltrack I ended up buying, the extra 0.9" of clearance and travel is not bad on the Hub of the Universe's lovely streets

How are you liking the Alltrack? We've been looking around for a family mobile and the Sportwagen looks pretty appealing. AWD, turbo, manual/DSG wagon for a decent price checks off a lot of boxes.

Not going to lie, the hp gains are a big draw. 170hp to 234hp with just a stage 1 tune, turbo swap and exhaust can net you 350hp...

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I didn't have an E39 M5 it would probably be a bit too dull on its own but as it is it's the perfect daily driver. We got ours relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info, yeah the features you get for the price is very appealing.

Sab669 posted:

All I wanted was something vaguely like my Fiesta ST but longer.

:sigh: You and me both, a wagon version of my Fit with more power would be perfect. If only we had the Golf R estate or Focus ST estate in NA.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chiming in also to say that the new Mazda 3 is verrry nice, both to drive and to be in. The interior is very German, lots of attention was paid to the switch gear and soft touch surfaces. The one I test drove was a 2019 mid level trim hatchback and it had no right being that nice for 20k CAD.

I think we're going to end up with a CX5 only because we need the extra room.

Kraftwerk posted:

I didn't really notice much difference on fake vs real leather to be honest. The GLI also gets cooled seats which Mazda doesn't provide. I still think that after 1 year I will want more power or performance than the Mazda can offer and I'll find myself disappointed with it. But that might be true for all cars at all power levels.

I can't remember who posted this but a new tune will be available soon, +40whp and 50lb/ft. It definitely has me thinking as well.

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-mazda?variant=37638730449070

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

LeeMajors posted:

Wait what? 99k$!!!!???? WHAT?!?

That's in Canadian dollarydoos, still awful though.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Oh man, this is exciting. The patent drawings really do match up well with the RX Vision photo.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

PBCrunch posted:

The new Integra is for sure going to be Acura's competitor to the Lexus UX 200 (see also Toyota C-HR). I'm thinking it will copy the "hidden" rear doors from the C-HR also. Basically a butch Honda Fit with an engine from a Civic.

I don't know if it should be called an Integra but I would definitely buy a faster Fit.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Partial Octopus posted:

Check out the infotainment on the base WRX :lol:

Jesus, the bezels make it look like a 2000s GM interior. Not to mention the touch screen climate controls.

Mazda does it right with their set up. It's all clustered together high up on the dash, with physical controls and a clean, high contrast display.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1121372_why-mazda-is-purging-touchscreens-from-its-vehicles

bull3964 posted:

That said, I don't thing the US actually gets this level of stripped down base model.

The press release photos showed the optional larger screen but they didn't show what the lower trim screen looked like. Now we know why, good lord.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 15, 2021

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The general rule is to never buy a first model year vehicle if you can help it, and it sounds doubly true for Fords. A mid or end cycle model has all the fixes/upgrades too.

I'm waiting to see if they put out a PHEV or performance Maverick personally.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
That makes me hopeful about the Corolla GR. I think the hatchback looks great, the small cargo area is a bummer though but not a deal breaker.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Nissan had something like that when the Leaf first came out.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
How well do the paddle shifter extensions work on VAG cars? I see them for sale all over the place.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

KillHour posted:

I'm usually pro-union, but I'm gonna say that in this instance, the union that did a terrorism to protest a critical health and safety rule is in the wrong.

I didn't realize the union put out an official press release claiming responsibility.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Franco Caution posted:

gently caress the new WRX. Every single point is a "well actually" from Subaru.

-Why no Hatch?
-Small HP bump?
- Body Cladding?
-Shelf rear end?
-CVT only top model?
-Stupid loving Infotainment screen garbage?

Id love to see it sell like poo poo, but I know somehow it wont. Im sure the CVT top model with a 5 inch lift from the factory in year 2 will be the best selling WRX of all time.

The realllly lovely part is that the Levorg STi exists so we have proof that a good looking WRX can exist, along with a long roof model.

Koirhor posted:

Technically you can get a crosstrek with the 2.0 liter and a manual but from personal experience they do not exist in reality

I would be slapping money down so fast if the Crosstrek was available with a manual and turbo, but Subaru seems adamant on never offering it to the point of CUVing the WRX. The GR Corolla might be our last hope.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

McTinkerson posted:

I want Grayhill's CANbus touch encoder to be used more. I'm already looking for way to retrofit it into my 2006 Mazda.

https://www.touchencoder.com/

Edit: Not the new flush mount one obviously. The original rotary version.

Ohh yeahhhh, this is great. I've been thinking of ways to have Audi TT style climate controls in my Mini and this could be the ticket. Except I know next to nothing about CANbus or programming.

Adding onto the praise for Mazda's excellent interface design, the rotary controls in our CX-5 work fantastically.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 12, 2022

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Don't kid yourself. You know the ENTIRE beltline will be raised that much, including the bed.

Instead of a tail gate step they can just have a built in boarding ladder like a fighter plane.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The Golf R seems to be in short supply too. Wait times in Canada are 12-18 months or more, not to mention ADM bullshittery. In Quebec dealerships aren't allowed to sell new cars higher than MSRP so of course there are lots of "used" Golf Rs with 300 km for a low, low price of $10k more than new.

The new RS3 isn't available for sale here anymore either due to some unknown compliance issue with the I5 :(

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Or you'd have to do something like this:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/buick-cascada-has-two-sets-taillights-275667

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I'm personally waiting for the rumoured Maverick competitor from Toyota to come out in a couple of years.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

SlowBloke posted:

Christ on a cross, my avenger feel gigantic, how in the gently caress can this honking huge car be called a mini.

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/jeep-grand-avenger-2023-suv-vs-chevrolet-silverado-2018-pickup-1500-crew-cab-5-8/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

davecrazy posted:

Just for the record I’ve had my Alfa QV since September and almost 7k miles and it’s been 100% problem free so far.

Why would you do this to yourself?