Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Who wouldn't want an electro-German Thunder-chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tekne posted:

Dodge gave Richard Rawlings a 2015 Challenger 392 Shaker with active exhaust to play with at the Gumball 3000. Holy poo poo :staredog:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQk0Pk2HLk

I like it.

I wonder if Dodge is still going along with an Alfa-based Challenger replacement. I've read conflicting things online.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tekne posted:

According to Allpar, the RWD Avenger is still on, so I'm guessing that the Charger will share platforms with a large Alfa for its next generation. SRT has been refolded under Dodge - the Viper is home again - and the other brands need to come up with their own performance trims. Grand Cherokee SRT will remain for the time being.

While Sergio's plan is very, maybe stupidly, ambitious, Chrysler having its best sales ever this May is a promising sign that they will have the cash to roll out all these new vehicles. The new 200 is already selling well from all indications, and the Dart refresh is getting the 9 speed auto and the next generation Hurricane 4 pot.

I'm glad the 200 is doing well, the reviews I've read say it's a good machine. Not something I'd buy but if it gives them the moolah to cook up some new performance machines I'm all for it. I've long had a very negative view of Chrysler and it's children (I think it was the Neons and Sebrings) but I'm coming around lately.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is Lincoln big overseas or something? I know Buick is big in China for some reason, but according to the wiki of pedias, Lincoln won't even be in China proper until the end of this year.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Something about a 4-banger Mustang just seems so... Contrary to the point. I'll have to test one for myself.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sole Survivor posted:

The official HP figures of the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat have been released.

http://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-might-have-700-hp-1598662937/all

It has 707 HP, in a car that will presumably cost 100k or less.

Autoblog also confirmed 650 lb-feet of torque with an upgraded 8 speed auto transmission. Presumably the 6 Speed manual is available as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-707-horsepower-official-video/

I want one.

Or, maybe a Hellcat Charger.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how docile modern 400+ horsepower cars are. There are tons of people online that complain that their 5.0 won't do a rolling burnout in first gear like their old 5.0 would, without considering the fact that a 400HP factory fox body would be nearly impossible to keep out of a ditch.

I find the whole 'detuned' key thing more amusing now.

"Yes son, you can borrow the car, but you can only use the 500hp key."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skipdogg posted:

For some reason I just don't see many people that are going to DD a Hellcat, they'll be garage queens that only come out for cars and coffee, cruising on the weekend, or trips to the dragstrip. (and there is nothing wrong with that) Supposedly at WOT the thing can drain it's fuel tank in 13 minutes or so.

I don't see why you couldn't use it as a DD, though lets be honest, as a DD there's no practical reason to own one over an R/T Challenger (if you want a V8 Challenger), or even a V6 Challenger if you just want a Challenger. It's purely a brash, ostentatious, excessive and bonkers car.

I'm curious what the Hellcat Charger will be like. Photos popped up recently of the SRT Charger mule with different body work from the new 2015 model. Since the Charger and Challenger share the same foundation, and up to this point the same engines, there's no reason they couldn't make a Hellcat version. Still bonkers but slightly more practical than the Challenger.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It turns out the Dodge boys were being cute when the Hellcat was first announced.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I almost bought a 2003 Tibby back in the day, but I didn't care for the drivetrain. They took the 2.7L V6 felt like a truck engine, and the 6 speed wasn't anything to write home about.

Supposed pricing on the Hellcat has been leaked... MSRP starting under 60K which is insanity.

I want to see 2015 Charger prices now; it's a tempting looking car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

New GT350 at the Ring.

Makes a nice noise.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

volvo :supaburn:

in summary: the 2015 xc90 T8 (while it doesn't have a turboed V8 like it ought to, Volvo) is going to be a plug-in hybrid with a 2.0L twincharged I4 (320 hp, 295 lb-ft) driving the front wheels and an electric motor (80 hp, 177 lb-ft) driving the rear ones, for a combined output of ~400 hp and 472 lb-ft.

Because Volvo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The 2015 SS has options for a manual transmission and magnetic shocks. Once again making me annoyed they don't sell it in Canada. :canada:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dear GM, stop being :ralp: and sell the SS in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sole Survivor posted:

In news that surprises no one, Dodge has unveiled the Charger Hellcat.

http://new.livestream.com/chryslerlive/DodgeProductReveal (the video is at the bottom).

Same 707 HP, 204 MPH top speed, 11.0 second quarter mile on stock tires, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds.

Only downside, it is automatic only.

quote:

Tim Kuniskis, head of the Dodge brand, said, “This is a car that has no business case... that no customer has asked us to build... but sometimes you need to disregard the data.... to built a car that defines itself.”

Yup. I want one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IIRC most reviews of the Challenger Hellcat basically said skip first gear if you actually want to move forward from a stop.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The chart above seem to make a distinction between V6 and HO Turbo. Unless the SRT Dart is also going to be a turbo V6.

Could be a V6, but I would probably bet on a turbo 4.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Who's ready for some rumouring? Mid-Engine Chevrolet Corvette is a Go

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I expect many people are tired of Hellcat Chat, but I did find this :black101:

Torque News posted:

Motor Trend took the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with the new heavy duty 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission to K&N Engineering’s dyno in Riverside California to see how true the power numbers are for this brawny Mopar muscle car. With stated figures of 707 horsepower and 650lb-ft of torque, the Hellcat Hemi makes the Challenger (and the Charger) the most powerful American production car ever while also ranking 6th when compared to every other current production car in the world so with claims like that – you know that someone would be getting a Hellcat powered Challenger to the dyno in a hurry.

Well, Motor Trend appears to be the first publication to put the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat on the rollers and not only did it prove those numbers – it blew them away.

The Hellcat Challenger put down 635 horsepower and 591lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels with the automatic transmission. The industry norm for calculating engine horsepower at the crankshaft based on drivetrain loss is 15% and if 635 horsepower is “only” 85% of the Hellcat Hemi’s actual power output – the engine is making closer to 747 horsepower. Using that same math for the torque output, 591lb-ft would be about 85% of 695…although considerably higher than the 650lb-ft of torque that Chrysler claims. If those power figures were official, the Challenger SRT Hellcat would pack more horsepower than the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the Lamborghini Veneno and in terms of torque – no other production car in the world could rival 695lb-ft.

:getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eyebeem posted:

Thanks to you, new car thread, I have placed a deposit on the completely absurd Polaris Slingshot. Delivery expected in mid October, just before my daughter is due to be born. I have yet to inform the woman of the house.

Rest in pizza.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tekne posted:

The 918 is an untouchable space car as expected, the NISMO GTR beat out the Viper TA, and the Camaro Z28/Corvette Z51 mostly cleaned up what was left. I'd like to see the Z06, both Hellcats, and the other two hyper cars in the next one. If the 2015 Viper TA 2.0 gets Trofeo R's and the 6 piston Brembos, it should beat the NISMO and might even fend off the hefty Z06. With the Miata twins and Mustang coming out next year, there's no better time to be an enthusiast.

I'm most amazed at a Viper being third. :stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like how they added three new colours, and two of those colours are orange.

The third is Stryker Purple:

I would feel no shame owning that car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought the side profile was viperish.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

And with the Charger Hellcat coming along, the only way they could make it more awesome is to resurrect their LX platform wagon.

Magnum Hellcat :black101:

I would not be surprised to see one within 3 years.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I just want that turbo 6 Falcon Ranchero that Australia gets :-/

Seriously. It's like the perfect solution to so many of life's problems.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kinfolk Jones posted:

The 2015 SS will come with a 6MT option.

I'm seriously considering buying the 2015 and importing it to Canada (since the assholes won't sell it here). It ticks all the boxes for me: V8, magnetic shocks, stick shift and lots of functional space for actually carrying things and people.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

They've been an option since at least 2013.

On the bright side, it makes it easy to know who to avoid interacting with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was referring to the 'my little pony' part.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

2015 c63 wagon (465 hp)

Waaaaaaaaant.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fknlo posted:

Hot Rod Magazine got their hands on a Z06

0-60 - 2.95 seconds

1/4 mile - 10.95 seconds

:tviv:

Those are for the automatic. If you don't want to cage the car to run at the strip you'll have to buy the manual.

I assume that's with non-drag strip tires? Noice.

Apparently the Charger Hellcat did 2.9 and sub 11 seconds but it was with drag slicks, not street tires.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

All these electric cars when all I want is a V8. :sigh:

(Straight-Sixes are also acceptable)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, you got that backwards, the Q-whatever its called now...Q50? Actually looks decent but the older models really show their age fast.

And of course all of the engines sound like stupid loving chewbacca roars so who cares really

A car that sounds like a wookie would be a selling point for me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wheeee posted:

As cool as the Hellcat is it's the $40k Scat Pak that's the real bargain. I want one, but only if Dodge wises up and sells them in General orange.

Gotta go with the Scat Pack. That engine sounds so nice, both literally and figuratively.

Good thing gas prices are going down! :sun:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

485hp and 475ft in a sedan for $40,000 is just insane. What a mean fuckin machine that is for the price. No brembo is kind of scary though, I guess you can always get some awesome wilwood aftermarket or something.

Like, big v8 N/A engines dont really exist anymore, let alone in clean looking $40,000 sedans.

From the press release:

quote:

All-new 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack model (late availability) features a 6.4-liter HEMI V-8, punching out a best-in-class, naturally aspirated 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque, Dodge Performance Pages, red four-piston Brembo brakes and 20-by-9-inch aluminum wheels with a starting U.S. MSRP of $39,995 and no gas guzzler tax.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sanchez posted:

I've found the appeal of trucks increasing as I get older, seems like they'd promote a more relaxed driving style. Unfortunately an F150 won't fit in the parking building at work or in my garage and the new Colorado is ugly, made by GM and has no turbos. One day..

Here ya go.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This could very possibly be my next car. That Scat Pack.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

razorscooter posted:

The benefits of the all aluminum construction and turbos on the F-150 just makes me want to see an all aluminium turbo six Mustang.

How about an all aluminium Mustang with a turbo straight-six? :awesome:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Called the Ford falcon.

Exactly, they already have a 400hp turbo straight-six; they just need to borrow it from the aussies and we're golden.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Noooo, bring the falcon ute xr6 over. Literally everyone south of the mason Dixon will buy one. gently caress u Holden

Also acceptable.

Earlier this week there was a dude waiting at a red light as I walked by, with a big beard and a mint El Camino. I gave him a thumbs up along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder where they'll price the ATS-V.