Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I find it's the people with the auto-headlights that are the worst. It's almost always higher end cars that are driving around without lights because of it. They have it on almost all the time but that one time they turn it off to manual because [situation] and then they forget to put it back on auto and assume it still is and their headlights are just dirty or something. I know it's supposed to be a feature and all, but it's one of those features I really wish would be removed by all manufacturers for the greater good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Hey look, another boring Honda. Ho hum. Didn't the CEO just complain and admit to the media that all their cars are uninspired and boring? So they went out and plunked another one in the market, good job.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I love me some 3 door hot hatches, I really loving do... but that front license plate makes it look so loving bucktoothed it's ridiculous and now I can't un-see it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

eames posted:

//edit: So the thing is called M135i, will be revealed in Geneva and there’s a whole gallery of it here: here.
Twin-turbo 3.0-liter, 326 PS, 450nm. 6-gear manual or 7-gear double-clutch.

I would buy the everlasting poo poo out of this as a huge fan of three door hatches. BMW of America needs to stop being such a prissy image conscious prat over here and start considering to bring over hatches already. Jesus christ.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Nodoze posted:

They do sell 3-door hatches, go get a Mini :v:

Sadly, here in Canada an M135i would probably cost less than a mini.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

EdEddnEddy posted:

That thing does look pretty wicked.

For 600 hundred thousand, I could buy a new GTR and pay someone else to do the engine conversion and then commission my own body kit from one of those custom companies and still have 300k left over to buy another super car. It's nice, but not 600k nice.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Arclyte posted:

So this Veloster Turbo that is supposed to be hitting the market in 2 months has a matte grey paint option. What sort of special care would that need?

(PS: Ford, make the ST available with matte black like that JukeT-R and I'm in)

None. None, in that, you can't ever wax the car, buff it, wet sand it and polish imperfections, etc. Honestly, matte paint looks loving awesome but you're going to hate maintaining it and god forbid you get into an accident and need it to get painted. No shop, regardless of how high end, has perfected the art of dust-less clearcoat application. They can fix it and high end shops automatically will, but guess how they fix it :)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Powershift posted:

If it's anything like the BMW, you have to wash the car front to back the second a bird poops on it, and can't wipe it down at all.

Are you sure it's matte grey and not just gloss grey vs metallic silver?

Yeah, it's a matte grey. I've seen it and there are pictures of it around the net as well as confirmation of it being a color option.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So it's a normal gray color with a matte clear?

Yep.

Honestly, were I someone willing to buy a new car? Buy the turbo veloster you want in a different color and then ask the dealership to find a shop in town that does professional vinyl wrapping on vehicles and get the car wrapped. It'll cost you an extra couple grand on top of the price of the vehicle, but you will not hate your life trying to maintain it down the road and when the fad wears off or it comes time to sell it and the prospective buyer doesn't like it cuz it's all chipped up or whatever, then peel the poo poo off. Boom.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

oRenj9 posted:

I think it depends on whether or not you do it yourself. I think the materials alone are only a few hundred bucks, but it probably takes hours to do.

Yeah, the bulk of the money you'll be paying is for the labour. If you're willing to do it yourself, well, not a big issue. It is a LOT of work though.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Mighty Horse posted:

Supposedly there are a few smaller, RWD platforms in development inside Fiysler already. Maybe not Miata sized, but the are rumors of a smaller 2dr RWD couple coming, possible with a 'cuda badge.

There was also the Demon from 2007, that was supposedly seconds away from being built but Daimler was run by a bunch of inept crooks.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/demon.html

I think that's probably for the best. I might be remembering wrong, but wasn't the Demon going to be manufactured by Geely in a new partnership with the Chinese in an effort to save on costs or something?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Throatwarbler posted:

What makes you think anyone has ever been concerned about the durability of any Land Rover product anywhere, on or off road?

I was listening to this week's Autoline Afterhours and it was just casually mentioned that no "legit", as in governed by the state insurance regulator, extended warranty company will warranty any Land Rover product. The potential repair costs are apparently at a point where there's just no money to be made in it. :lol:

True story, at our shop we had a Land Rover towed in without wheels. Someone stole the OEM ones right off it and as an insurance claim they decided that they would only replace the OEM wheels and not pay out the money for the owner to buy other wheels, i.e. suspicion that he 'stole' them himself for the money payout to buy aftermarket rims and then 're-acquire' OEM ones for winter tire use.

It took Land Rover 6 months to ship us a new replacement set while it sat on blocks the entire time. I guess the British had to re-invent the wheel or something. The guy bought a Hummer right after he was informed of this apparently and sold the thing immediately after we put the rims on.

Moral of the story - if you want to piss off a Land Rover owner, don't slash his tires. Steal them! You'll cause him way more agony this way.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Yummers posted:

So true. If you love your car and you worked hard to own it, then cup holders aren't for "cups". Water bottles only in my IS F. Over the weekend, on my way to a tailgater, some douche magouche who I barely know, and who obviously doesn't appreciate nice things, was riding in my back seat and desperately wanted to crack a beer open in my cabin. He even asked a third time after I told him "gently caress! no!" twice (strike 1). And at the tailgater he sat on my bumper (strike 2). Then he pops the lid of a beer bottle with a lighter and splashes beer on my bumper (strike 3). Needless to say he didn't get a ride back home. That classless fool can take the bus next time.

It's just a car man. At the end of the day, everything's cleanable and repairable with the right combination of time, money, and product. Not sure an early heart attack is worth your rage fueled panic attacks over ridiculously harmless poo poo like that.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that throwing a touch screen in a car is incredibly dangerous in the hands on your average driver? I'm honestly scared of the idea. I hope it's a dumb gimmick and goes away soon.

No, you're not the only one who thinks this. We're talking about average people who are very quickly growing incapable of managing their vehicle's headlight system for those times when they turn it off the automatic setting and then forget to put it back on so they drive around at night without their lights on. They don't seem to notice because new cars all seem to have dash lights that automatically come on when it senses that it's too dark, so the outside lights must be on and just dirty, right?

So yeah. Touch screens for the average public can go right to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Weinertron posted:

So the Hyundai group got caught cheating on EPA fuel economy.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm

I'm surprised this isn't more common, it seems like manufacturers are gaming the system like crazy. I see many cars now that seem to have higher ratings than older cars that I know get better mileage. It's very difficult to accurately compare fuel economy though, because some places have pure gas, some have E10, weather varies so much between different locations, and some people have heavy feet. I do about 23 in my tiny little Miata while a friend of mine has proven that he gets 26 mpg mixed in a mod motor Mustang.

Every manufacturer does this. Go on any given brand's fan forum and you'll find hordes of threads of people asking why they can't match the mileage that was on the sticker. EPA needs to investigate everyone 'cuz they're all cheating.