Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Kalashnikov in Russia is looking to get into electric vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/23/kalashnikov-takes-on-tesla-with-retro-look-electric-supercar

I kinda like it...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Humbug posted:

Considering GM performs worse than the general market in China, that looks pretty dire. I dont know how long the coronavirus will disrupt the markets, but its not unfeasible that it could thin the heard of especially foreign automakers operating in China. Chinese auto sales were slowing even before the virus scare.
https://www.autonews.com/china/gm-loses-share-january-sales-fall-40

I dont quite get GMs priorization of South Korea and China. Both markets have strong domestic automakers that are quickly improving. The Chinese government will support the domestic brands (i know GM is in a joint venture, but still), and i don't know why someone in Korea would choose to buy a Chevy over a Hyundai or Kia. They are big markets to be sure, but the fall could be even greater.

Why wouldn't GM prioritize the largest automotive market in the world? What markets should they prioritize then? The GM brand is still strong in China and a lot of people are willing to buy foreign over domestic brands.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's really surprising. I'm sure there are a lot of them out there but I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. I see GM and Chevy crossovers a lot but not Buicks.

Buick is huge in China, I see them all over the place, mostly in sedan form. Sometimes I wonder if that’s what’s keeping them profitable, I don’t see them much down here in Texas.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 29, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
My BMW 4’s seats creak so yea...

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there's no part of it that I have a particular problem with, now I'm just interested how it's actually built and how it will hold up. My previous experience with Chinese cars, consisting of a rented Geely in Cuba, were not impressive.

Recent car models from established Chinese manufacturers have been quite good. You can look up crash test results and they are on par with Manufacturers from other countries. Biggest issue is that every province in China wants to get in on the automotive industry and they all champion local brands, so you e got a to of oddball brands that have varying levels of success with quality.

Some of the newer EV startups such as NIO and Xpeng seem to be aiming for high standards of design and quality.

I wouldn’t say that a bottom rate export to Cuba is all that representative of the Chinese auto industry.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I saw the price but I assumed $9k would be for a 100 mile range version or something. Even if they can get the batteries at $100/kwh, that leaves almost nothing for the rest of the car

That price is likely after EV subsidies from the gov't.

I saw quite a few other vehicles prices reported this way just to get clicks.

Edit. Just saw another article where it list the price at around 16k Euro. Which seems like a more reasonable price.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 28, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
After looking for the past few months it seems there are no new built small pickup trucks available in the US, everything is huge. I'm seriously looking at a Pickman as an option!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Seik posted:

The new Ford Maverick is the only one on the horizon and it still looks like it'll be pretty big. https://www.instagram.com/p/CIlNAIdDPmy/

Yea I saw that one coming up. Will there be a 2 door model?

Yea and still seems chunky, what I'd give for a new 80s/90s era Tacoma or Hilux.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 26, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LibCrusher posted:

I’m very skeptical of this video. That car, even the underside, is spotless. Also the cutaway to the skyline is suspicious.

Get over it, battery swapping is happening in China every day. There are multiple swap points in almost every large city and are expanding quickly. There is nothing fake about this video.

Now wither it makes sense in the long term remains to be seen. I'm curious as how they will scale up as well as handle used batteries.

If I'm not wrong when you buy a Nio, the battery is not owned by you.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 14, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Q_res posted:

Porsche has a synthetic fuel they claim reduces carbon emissions by 85% vs gasoline. Of course, who knows what the production process results in, emissions-wise.

Yes, we've known that Germans were working on synthetic fuel since the late 30s!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Q_res posted:

Good for you? That has what to do with mentioning the specific company and their claims? :fuckoff:

Joke about vw/Porsche and nazis making synthetic fuel in wwii.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Any idea on price?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Sab669 posted:

The last rumor I saw claimed $35K base with two $5K option packages that can be combined. Which sounds pretty optimistic/generous to me.

With any luck well know on the 17th during the official reveal. I hope it starts under $40, but I'd be surprised if it do.

That's a lot more reasonably priced than I expected. Certainly not a 100k jeep.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KillHour posted:

Did they hire the Ford designer who did the Nu Thunderbird?

I think the owner just likes old American cars and styled these after them. Websites is pretty clear on what they are going for.

https://www.songsanmotors.com/

VV
real thing looks different.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 6, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Powershift posted:

That's the convertible SS Dolphin, there's a 4 door coming.

I need to see one next to a real vette, because they look to be a 150% scale copy, which i am 150% down for.

4 door seems to defeat the purpose of this thing.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think they're even EVs, they're built by BYD on one of their hybrid drivetrains so maybe it's based on that BYD knockoff of the early 2000s Corolla. It has some kind of tiny 4 cylinder gas engine.

Looks like they come in both a EV and Hybrid version.

Uhh you realize that BYD is huge in EV's and have been for over a decade. BYD has their own very successful EV battery and skateboard technology which I'm sure these things are based off of, and its BYD selling their designs to Toyota these days not the other way around.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 6, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
We need more asymmetric cars.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

New Zealand isn't part of anything, really, so it can't be part of Australia either

I feel sorry for Greenland, must have sunk.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
N/m

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Been shopping for a Kia Telluride. Local Austin dealerships are adding 7-10k on top of MSRP. FUUUUCK. May have to buy from a dealership a couple hours away who is ONLY adding about 3k.

But hey, my trade in estimate is a few thousand over what it was in 2019!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

So who even makes a good interior now?

Honestly? In the US probably Kia and Genesis.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I agree with this, but didn't want to say it due to ownership bias. Genesis started with an excellent amalgamation of Merc, Audi, and Lexus, but now they're doing it better than any of them.

GV70

G80

Yup, also like the new KIA interiors. Looks way more premium than what they are charging. Like that they still have buttons.

Sorrento

Telluride

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I don't see how this will fix anything. Jackasses in their lifted trucks won't be installing these new lights.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Pros/cons of just paying off the whole car in cash?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Great, thanks for the replies guys.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bouillon Rube posted:

Am I insane for thinking that the Chinese market Chevrolet Orlando looks really good?

Look at that! Six loving seatback pockets! I’m spurting here

nope, a lot of great cars coming out in the Chinese market from domestic and international manufacturers. Too bad we'll never get any here.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What does a US$20k MSRP look like once you've got it home with plates and sales taxes paid?

Here for the equivalent US$20k (NZD$28k) i can choose a Kia Picanto, mid-range Rio, Mitsubishi Mirage, base ASX, base Seat Arona, base Ssangyong Tivoli, Suzuki Celerio, Ignis, Swift up to Hybrid, Baleno, base Jimny, base Toyota Yaris, base Haval Jolion (base is interestingly named 'Premium'!), an MG 3 or petrol MG ZS. But our pricing includes 15% GST and usually on-road costs.

MG3 looks good, will also probably get more features in the base level Haval than premium trim of other models.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I do wonder if that philosophy was done with modern design and materials would be like, without trying to go insanely cheap that ruins good designs.

This is currently outselling tesla in the China market. Perfectly suited for what it is.

https://youtu.be/sFSJDSh1jmE

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

There's the Kandi range of neighborhood vehicles but they start at $12k!

Yea, any China prices you see online your gonna have to add add at least 30% in the US to cover shipping and customs.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Also Ferrari has never made a 4 door car..... yet...???

Behold!

https://youtu.be/x8_y-ZZGDVU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

looks like a fat early 2000's Audi with those headlights.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

JohnCompany posted:

Looks like the cheap Chinese ripoff of itself more than anything.

Don't insult Chinese cars designs please, they've been putting out great stuff recently.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Lamborghini ad did what it was intended to do, we are all talking about it. When was the last time a lengthy discussion was had about a car ad?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

My impression after reading Evo and Top Gear on vacation is that it seems really depressing to be a British car enthusiast right about now. The Hyundai N cars seem to be the last affordable, fun cars you can buy new in the UK. The hot hatch is dead, and the GR86's production run was limited to 2 years by EU safety regulations. And if you thought electric cars were a touch unaffordable in the US, they're unobtainium on British salaries.

MG is a thing and their latest hot hatch is apparently a lot of fun to drive. Q

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Scrungus posted:

Remember, MG is a Chinese brand selling Chinese cars.

Right, accounts for the improved design, quality, and price.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

400Z is a drat good looking car in the flesh and more importantly it drives real drat well. What a great car it is

NIssan deserves to sell millions, will be lucky to sell thousands :(

whats the market markup on these now?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Powershift posted:

Most reviews seem to suggest The chassis is showing it's age and most Nissan dealerships will order one to keep in the showroom with a $25k market adjustment

Apparently in the US it has yet to break 500 sales.

I'd like to get one, but not with a 25k market adjustment.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I like the gigantic mono windshield wiper.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Inner Light posted:

I've been daydreaming for years about a small, probably 2 person EV, city car, K car, "sMaRt" car, whatever. I could buy it a 240V charger or stick with 120V. I live in a city and the vast majority of what I need to drive to is within 5 miles, let alone 10, 50, 100 miles.

The climate zone of my city is as such that walking or bicycling is pleasant for probably a minority of the months of the year. I do both and enjoy it!

I am fortunate to have splurged on a deeded, covered, heated lol garage spot.

I've thought about Tesla before Elon self grenaded or the Bolt EUV. But yeah, it would be great to spend what like, $5k ish on some cheap EV smart car thing, a super golf cart, with 50 or 100 miles of range. When will this be a thing or will it be only a dream forever? Top speed is an issue in this idea, I would be fine with 35-55MPH limit, and poor crashworthiness. But I do not think regulations would allow it in USA perhaps. I might try out a motorcycle at some point but I've never tried it, will take some lessons and take a stab at it but I don't want to die immediately.

https://youtu.be/yJoMKVI0ODA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BuckyDoneGun posted:

2024 Lexus LM - their version of the Alphard/Vellfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08W_mNg5Nc

pretty much targeted at the east/southeast Asian market.