Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

grover posted:

Now, people are going to be looking at the camera, and not actually looking BACK where their peripheral vision would see kids running towards them, etc. These had better be some damned good cameras.
I would expect mandatory reverse radars to be much more useful. You wouldn't need to actively watch, just react if they beep. Would probably be cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The only cars I see like that around here are courtesy loaners. Do some dealers actually do that on cars they sell? :psyduck:

I really should remove the sticker from my old car. It from the dealership Pörhön Autoliike, with their website address www.porho.fi. And without the umlauts that URL translates to www.moneybags.fi :cry: I hadn't even noticed the meaning before my coworkers pointed it out.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 6, 2016

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Dislike button posted:

The Japanese seem to really want all their cars to look like insects

All the result of their childhood of beetle bug collecting.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Consumer Reports started to mention headlights a few years ago, not sure if they've kept up on that.

People in Seattle seem to drive around without any headlights so would they notice any difference????

This is an excellent development. If more reviews will start paying attention to this well get better headlights for free, since the price of the car or the optional headlights doesn't directly correlate with the quality of the headlights. Many base model cars have better lights than the expensive optional lights on more expensive cars. Finnish car magazines have been testing headlights for decades, but they don't have enough influence on the industry.

LordOfThePants posted:

I saw this on the news today and the soundbite that grabbed my attention was "most drivers don't actually use their high beams".

Maybe it's because I live in the land of the suicidal deer and drive to work in the dark 9 months out of the year, but I'd use my high beams all the time if I could.

I had a rental GMC Terrain recently and that thing had terrible headlights. There was an abrupt cutoff that in the vertical light pattern, almost like if you took tape and taped off the top half of the headlights. It was worse than the BMW 3 series used in that video.

Was this with the high beams or low beams? The low beams are required to have a cut off by law and especially on xenons it's quite distinct. Amusingly the pattern required by EU and US is different.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This is super annoying to me sometimes because there are a bunch of roads here with periodic bumps and ripples in them, and if a car with xenon lamps is behind you (especially an SUV) the bouncing makes the cutoff sweep up and down, and it looks like a strobe light in your rear view mirror. I've lost track of how many times I thought there was an emergency vehicle behind me, only to see some giant Lexus or BMW settling on its suspension.

Hopefully those dynamically adjusted LED lights become widespread soon. Would make driving in dark considerably better.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Aztech posted:

Why would your car need a grill?

A flow of fresh air inside the car is not required when each and every car comes pre-scented with Elon's unique musk imbued into the interior fabrics.

I got nauseous when got a first look of the front in Model 3, but at the same time I admitted to myself that it doesn't beed a grill and it would be silly to put a fake grill just because cars have traditionally required it.

It's just a question of how many times I would need to see a grilless car before stop getting the chills.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Hey, at least Saab was way ahead of the competion in realizing how much the keychain dangling on your knee sucks. It's a horrible road hazard when you're speeding on the highways while trying to somehow wrap the keychain around the key. Thousands must die daily because of that!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

1) Some CVTs have paddle shifters where you can "change gears", but there is a real use for this which is engine braking, such as on long downhill descents, that's only in manual mode. I don't think any carmakers are actually making their CVTs run through fake shifts if you just leave it in D.

I've read recently that on some japanese car with CVT, the models sold in Japan worked as CVT, but the models sold in Europe were programmed to change gears. When I've read reviews about CVT I remember seeing mention of gears regrettably often.

blindjoe posted:

Would not enjoy in a sporty car, and since people buy pickups to be sporty, they wouldn't be any good there either.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was unenjoyable. On Gran Turismo 6 there was some early test you needed to complete with CVT car and even as simulated it was unimaginably annoying to drive at full speed.

This discussion reminds of something I was thinking about when I first heard about CVTs. What is the gas pedal supposed to control on CVT car? On manual it's simple, it decides how much air and fuel is sucked in and the speed will be fixed, if you disregard gear changes and hills. An automatic may change gears, but usually there is only one practical gear and it works the same as manual.

But on CVT there is a wide range of viable gearing. One gearing provides maximum economy, another highest possible speed and if you adjust the gearing a bit the car will accelerate or decelerate.

Maybe the gas pedal should actually just control the amount of acceleration and deceleration? At some point in the pedal travel there could be a notch marking the neutral, fixed speed position. Push the pedal forward 20% and the car would accelerate at 20% of the maximum possible. Release the pedal back from the notch and car would decelerate.

Thinking about pedals also reminded me of new kind of combined gas/brake pedal someone had invented. It had a normal car style pedal hinged in the top, but also a tractor-style standing pedal hinged on the pedal assembly. You twisted the pedal with the ball of your foot for throttle and pushed to the pedal assembly with your heel to brake. Would be interesting to test how that works.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Maybe they did the math and it deploys at just low enough speed that it's not yet causing enough lift either way to be a problem.

That's my assumption. Isn't the usual opinion that non-race cars are never driven on speeds where the wing would be any use. And on the Panamera the wing starts parallel with the rear window, so it really wouldn't deflect the airflow much.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Humbug posted:

Variable compression seams neat, but adding massive complexity just to improve fuel efficiency isn't really my thing. Am i right in thinking such an engine could run the diesel cycle on petrol, assuming the system can handle very high compression ratios? That would probably mean massively increased particulate emissions too.

Yes, that looks scarily complex. Saab's extendable engine block concept seems simpler and preferable over this.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

But I like to own things for more than two or three years. :smith:

You can of course own a Merc for extended time. There are all kinds of warehouses, pristine garages and show floors that are perfect for that. Just don't try to drive it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ilkhan posted:

The majority of which seem to be "woah, wtf is that fugly looking thin...[crunch]". Which I can totally see the average driver doing, and isn't at all the fault of the AI (only the engineers' for wanting to make the drat thing stand out like that).

If I remember correctly, in a majority of those crashes the Google car got rearended. Which is such a basic type of accident I'm pretty confident a robot car would not commit. And in many situations where the robot car succesfully stops without rearending anyone, I would imagine they have a great chance of getting rearended by a human driver who wasn't paying as much attention.

Another likely explanation is that robot car may have a tendency to slow down or stop erronously or just in case, in situation where human drivers wouldn't expect that to happen.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've just seen so much horseshit on the road that I absolutely know the computer will never be able to handle, I'm going to be the last person giving up control of my car.

You are looking at this from the wrong angle. Imagine if all those drunkards and other worthless drivers were chauffered by autopilot. I would think it's the worst drivers that would want to switch to self driving cars first, as soon as they can afford. Even the thought of relinguishing your own control is a non-issue. You can always drive a manual driven or an older car, and when the day comes that you are forced to give up your control the roads will already be filled by autopilots and they will be superior to your driving.

The argument from Rigged that the AI people won't benefit from autopilot, frankly I don't buy it. I'm in the AI and I want autopilot, I need autopilot and to be totally honest I should be required to have an autopilot. If we are on a karting track I'm ready to challenge any of you, but driving on public roads in legal manner is such an obnoxiously boring and mind-rotting job that only my lizardbrain manages to prevent me from rearending everyone when my consciousness has left the body.

And in a few minutes I have a 1000 kilometers of finnish winter roads ahead of me. I suggest all of you stay indoors for your own safety.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Unfortunately, I bet those cars won't be that much better at detecting motorcyclists or bicyclists, and likely a lot worse at actually interacting or communicating with them

They actually have done this. Or am I missing the joke here?

I don't think that has happened with the Google cars. And in the Tesla case you wouldn't have gotten rearended either, unless you are driving a lifted brotruck with a meter of ground clearance.

euphronius posted:

Mass transportation would be a better investment.

No it wouldn't really be. I live in a city with one of the best public transportation in the world and when you want to get back home to the suburbs at 4 AM when the night clubs close mass transport is anything but great and you will still be walking quite a bit. A fleets of cheap, self driving taxis would be much better option, and at that point owning a car becomes pretty much unnecessary.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

big money big clit posted:

1) Why does it have to be one or the other?

That is also a good point.

Self-driving buses take to roads alongside commuter traffic in Helsinki

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

EgonSpengler posted:

Yep, and as a boundary case once it gets solved it's solved in all future self-driving cars forever. Unlike several hundred million individual people who need to be constantly reminded not to drift out of their lane, look at their phone, etc.

This is the biggest benefit of self driving cars, they can be improved. I'm certain there will be death and carnage in the future of autopilot, but the industry already knows how to deal with them, millions in cash. It just another Toyota gas pedal or Pinto tank, and hopefully those problems can be identified quicker.

To really improve human drivers would require private pilot license level of training for driver's license and no one wants that. Or the human can be augmented by ABS or ESC as the first steps toward autopilot.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The 2012 Mustangs did something really slick with the backlighting on the tachometer, in that the backlighting would flash bright red if you hit the redline.

My old Saab 9-3 has something similar. It has a night panel feature, which was mentioned, that turns off the needle and backlight for other gauges beside speedometer. On a road trip over christmas I noticed that if you get near the redline it would suddenly turn on the backlight for tachometer and the needle would spring to life for a short while.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Powershift posted:

you should check out the sick staggered set-up on sport package BMW i3s. 155/60R20 fronts, 175/55R20 rears. you know, for that sick handling.

I have a vague recollection that a finnish car magazine managed to get the tire of the wheel in their swerve testing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I've had the understanding that automatic gearbox is better while offroading, so wouldn't manual be the poser choice for Wrangler?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

CornHolio posted:

If it was sustainability we were truly after, wouldn't we want to stop buying new and keep the stuff we have on the road going for as long as possible?

That way we would get Cuba. I don't think it will take that long to offset the emissions from car production when you compare it to some 20 year old junker with a built-in smoke screen.

When asking the question whether it's more ecological to buy a new car or keep using your old is, that we usually compare the new car and it's emissions to the newish car you want to get rid of. But the new car will not replace your previous car. Someone else will buy it and continue to use it for years to come, and their old car will go to someone else. At the end of the chain is some god awful clunker that will be turned in to a metal cube, and that is the car replaced by your new car.

That raises an interesting question. How often should the people who buy new cars buy a new one if we want to minimize the emissions produced by manufacturing and use of cars?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A 10 year old Volvo XC90 V8 (317g co per km) would in 60000 km (about 3 years driving for me) puke out 19 tonnes of carbon dioxide. Before a new VW e-Golf is even sold, about 23 tonnes of carbon dioxide have been expelled by mining, transport and manufacturing et al.

Sure, the XC90 wasn't summoned from thin air either, but it already exists. I can't make those emissions disappear by having it crushed.

That's my point, no one would crush a XC90. What the crusher will get is a 25 year old Volvo 780 or 960. Think how much cash you would have in your pocket if you sold your XC90 and replaced it with a 780.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Isn't one problem that the peak power and torque figures from the brochures are far from the full story. I've long thought that more useful measure would be "power area". Draw the power graph, choose start and end RPMs and then calculate the area under the graph between the RPMs. A complication with this scheme is how to choose what RPMs to use. I'd probably do an acceleration run to the highest gear, exclude the first and highest gear, then calculate the average RPMs of the remaining gears at gear changes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dissss posted:

Nokia does make Android phones now.

I don't know if they're great, but they're certainly okay at the lower price points.

The company making them is different, they just bought the right to use the brand. But they probably have some old Nokia employees on board.

But they do seem to be pretty good Android phones and supposedly get updates to Android faster than most other phones.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

For now sure, but countries are increasingly trying to bring down co2 emissions and some of the taxes are getting substantial:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20180720/france-tightens-grip-on-polluting-cars-with-stricter-eco-tax

I realized the effect of this the first time when I noticed that the price of Volvo XC90 T8, the hybrid top model, was cheaper than the gas-only model T6 in Finland.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

That's a pretty Lada Niva front end.

I was thinking Lada Niva too before I look at the badge.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I need to put my car in gear while parking, otherwise I won't be able to remove the key. :ohdear:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Sharparoni posted:

This was weird for me to read because my friend has a 2018 S5 that basically got totaled yesterday in a frontal collision. Luckily he walked away with a mild concussion and nobody else was hurt. I haven't heard the whole story but I think there was too much ice on the roads and it turned into a 10-car pileup 5 minutes after his accident.

Year or two ago a finnish car magazine was doing large comparison test including testing the automatic braking systems. They had some VAG model and they were unable to make the automatic braking testing to work at all. No matter what, they couldn't make it to even try braking. With the help of the importer and manufacturer they finally found what the problem was. They were doing the testing in a test center, so the car's GPS recognized it was not on an official road and the automatic braking wasn't operational. You can marvel at the thought process, that comes to the conclusion that objects outside official roads aren't worth braking for.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 24, 2019

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, there's zero possibility that an american trained driver would EVER enter control inputs that abrupt.

Well, considering some of the videos I've seen Americans are capable of quite abrupt inputs, they are not as precise and intended. But when they try the panic swerves, this test can give an indication how badly the car will get out of control.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

incels interlinked posted:

quote:

HOW MUCH IS A SERVICE ON A SLR. I was told that a A service is about 4,000 to 5,500 about 25 hours is that RIGHT a B service is about 7,500 to 8,500 about 33 hours. and at 4 years it could be as much as 15,000 to 20,000 50-60 hours and that is just for spark plugs and fuel filter + service. and it will take about 3 weeks to do. thay say that thay have to remove the engine and transmission for the spark plugs and the gas tank to replace the fuel filter. what the HELL am i missing anything. why so much

When reading this the first thought was that it is a summer car. When the summer is over it's time to start the annual maintenance, unless you really can afford someone else to do it for you. Reminded me of the gliders of my club. In fall when the flying season is over the wings come off and the gliders are packed in the maintenance building for the winter.

Is anyone here a member of a car club where the club owns the cars? It seems those are quite rare.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I would always like to see if Lego Technics could be of any help for these people, they seem to lack the understanding on how a car can maneuver. I think it took 3 minutes before she even tried turning the wheel the other direction.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

As it happens, just yesterday a news article was published about a MB E300 taxi that had clocked million kilometers under 4 years. Engine has never been opened. Sshocks were swapped at 750 000 km as a precaution, a wheel bearing at 800 000 km, alternator has been swapped 4 times. The owner had also surpassed million kilometers on his W124.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Except "shift points" comes in useful as the real world actually needs more than sit at a predefined rpm

I still don't see what use they would have with a CVT. Maybe we should rethink the function of the gas pedal with CVT, make it directly control acceleration. Initial section of the pedal movement would be deceleration, then would be a neutral spot where the car will maintain constant speed no matter what hills or wind are encountered. After that comes acceleration section, higher acceleration the further you push the pedal. A computer then chooses the most economic throttle, RPM and gearing to achieve the desired acceleration.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dissss posted:

The Outlander PHEV came out in 2013 in Japan which is why it feels so dated now.

It's still in a niche of its own though at least in my market (New Zealand) - the Niro and Kona are smaller and aren't 4wd, the RAV4 isn't a plugin and the euro options are like three times the price. I wouldn't buy a new one but am still considering buying one second hand.

The Outlander PHEV is the third most popular used import in Finland, over a thousand last year. IIRC only the M-B C- and E-classes have greater numbers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The one slammed car where I've seen pictures of the interior it would not be 30 minute job to fix. The wheel wells were cut off and control arms were replaced with lovely DIY jobs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Iceland probably has nicer roads. :v:

Route 1, the most important road in the country. Partially gravel road. We were pretty concerned about the bottom panels that had come loose in our rental Qashqai. Rental company's opinion was, "eh, it happens".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The real victory of marketing was how the manufacturers convinced politicians that trucks and SUVs don't need to follow the same CAFE or safety standards. How much more expensive and less powerful would they be. How emasculating would it feel when your new F150 came with a 2 liter turbo 4-banger and 0-60 times in double digits. Trucks are supposed to be slow, that's the price you pay for the hauling capacity! And what would trucks look like if the bonnet is allowed to be at most 1 meter high for pedestrian safety reason.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Does Waze provide a better "heads-up" window for speed traps?

Google Maps implemented that feature too, but:
A) By the time it says, "there's a speed trap ahead" I'm pretty much on top of the cop car lol
B) More often than not the cop is no longer there, and no I'm not going to respond to the prompt of "Is it still there?" as I drive by.

It seems like a great feature in theory, but in practice it's never even come close to being actually useful

Waze warns you 500 meters before the trap. For static speed cameras it's pretty much always accurate and I have received advance warnings of police that are still present. But the police warnings are pretty rare and usually they don't seem to stick around for longer. It's a difficult question about how many user confirmations should Waze receive before it can remove the warning.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

My sister gave me one of those couches that opens to a double bed. It just barely fit into my Saab 9-3. But driving 900 kilometers with the wooden frame 20 centimeters from my head did feel concerning.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Koirhor posted:

gross

Also kind looks like a hitler stache so uhh

Someone needs to tweet this comparison so we can get rid of this style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

Also they quote 500 hp, which is about 370 kW, which equates to about 6 minutes of run time at full throttle.

They also quote 40 minutes at race pace. That means an average of 60kW. Which means an average of...16% throttle.

This raised me the question how much of the energy in racing is spent on accelerating versus high speed and wind resistance? And how much of the energy you could recover during deceleration with batteries and supercaps?