Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Some people like tiny cars, and the GTI isn't really tiny any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Spark is more of a Fiat 500 / iQ / Smart competitor than a Fiesta competitor.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

$200/mo for my car + $50/mo for my motorcycle, starting this September! :suicide:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The control system between the front seats, where your hand naturally rests, is absolutely the best place to put your nav controls, and having to gorilla-arm a touch screen is the worst. I think the setup in the new A3 is just about the best possible configuration.

Hard controls for climate, controls between the seats for nav.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Subaru has released two pictures and some preliminary details of the all-new 2014 Forester that will make its public debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The new Forester arrives with either a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine that produces 170 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque or a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine that will make 250 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque.

The exterior adds some more refinement and the turbo model loses its iconic hood scoop – something some of us are glad to see go. Instead, the turbocharged Forester receives a unique front fascia, seen here in the image above. Subaru says that the Forester's fuel economy will improve, but final numbers have not been released. The Forester will debut a new six-speed manual transmission and a Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. (The CVT includes either six- or eight-speed manual modes so you can swap through the 'gears'.)

The 2.0 DIT motor in the JDM Legacy GT makes almost 300hp, so I'd assume they turn the wick up a bit for the next-gen WRX. Between the next-gen motor and the lessons learned from the BRZ, the new WRX should be awesome.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The stereo is controlled through the big dial below the shifter, and displayed on either the big retractable display or the MFD between the gauges.

You can also DRAW LETTERS ON THE DIAL to enter addresses. :awesomelon:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly the Forester XT is still automatic-only, it seems (from the leaked Japanese brochures).

I'll miss you, hood scoop. It appears to be a top mounted intercooler still, just with an extra gap in the hood for feeding air.

I can see making the Forester a little less aggro but they know better than to get rid of the scoop on the WRX.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Nope. The 2.5 turbo in both the WRX and STI still use a timing belt.

This will be the last year of that motor, right?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

For real, the new Transit Connect 7-passenger version looks like it could be a pretty good cheap kid hauler in addition to commercial work:

I'm more excited about this than I should be. It's going to kick rear end as a band van for smaller groups.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

I've seen a couple transit connects going through auction and they go loving CHEAP. like 7-8k with 90,000kms

Dang, that's cheap. I want a TC to use as a band van SO BAD, but I think the newer ones are going to be worth the money with the 6spd auto, nicer interior, longer wheelbase option and bigger motor.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

As long as you can get a 6MT who gives a poo poo if you can also get it with some form of auto?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The JDM Legacy GT comes with a 296hp DI 2.0 turbo boxer (the one that'll most likely end up in the WRX) and a CVT.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

My nearly 12 year old WRX still somehow has a KBB value somewhere around $6.5k - $7k. That kind of blows my mind a bit.

I bought my 07 WRX Limited Wagon for 18k in 2009 with 30k on it. I moved to San Francisco from Madison WI, traded it in this October for a GTI and got $15k in trade for it, with 90k on it! They listed it for 20 and sold it.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 3, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

animeliker posted:

gay automatic Sedans

Cool post.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The EU is going to implement similar emissions restrictions as what's hampering diesel adoption here in the US, so I think it's more likely that diesels go away in passenger cars worldwide.

Crash test standardization would be great, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Shin-chan posted:

I know, I want my RS6 so bad:

the exhaust on this thing is sexually depraved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UYMvLgKeU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Tekne posted:

I'd take the Trailhawk Cherokee in granite metallic with the dark wheels. It really looks like a shark or ray in that color, but in a good way imo.

You can tell that Chrysler wants these to sell:

drat, that's cheap.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Touchscreens in cars are the worst thing. I think BMW and Audi do it best, with a big non-touch screen, hard buttons for HVAC and some audio controls, and the multifunction knob behind the shifter to dive deeper.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Half the chain-driven engines out there seem to have eventual issues with tensioners or guides anyways.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

People in cities who have a car and a garage sometimes still need to, you know, go places.

I think they're a pretty nice fit for someone who has a garage spot and a car here in SF (which, considering I'm one of those people isn't an impossible bar to clear if you get a little lucky) and doesn't care about taking it to Tahoe or Yosemite or blasting around in the mountains (also me, which is why I wouldn't buy an i3.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

You'll be able to get the 1.6 EcoBoost in it, at least.

I want the new LWB Transit Connect as a band van, so badly.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

The bombshell had been that Pontiac was well on its way to moving to an entirely rear-drive platform. (Can you feel the air being sucked out of the room?) The next G6, said Lutz, was moving to a compact RWD architecture, shared with -- that's right -- the Cadillac ATS.

Pontiac was on its way to becoming a niche performance brand, a cut-rate BMW while looking like BMW. Then, the government stepped in.

Yeah, and they'd also only cost $10k, and they'd get 50 mpg, and they'd come with a lifetime supply of your favorite microbrew. Stupid Government!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

There's only one source for this so I would say it's unconfirmed but plausible.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/honda-reveals-new-civic-type-r-with-vtec-turbo-engine-photo-gallery-71288.html

I think it's unlikely that engine will make it into a North American Civic, but maybe a range topper ILX?

Turbo VTEC 2.0 confirmed: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/19/honda-new-turbo-vtec-engines-civic-type-r/
As is the Type R: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/19/2015-honda-civic-type-r-revealed-w-video/

If the turbo motor still revs high it could be a ton of fun.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

fknlo posted:

Yeah, the manual will probably only be available on the base model. Adding any options will make the CVT standard.

Nope, manual on all trims, with the STI still being manual only like Glob intended.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It's not going to be the EJ25. The EJ is dead.

Also, Subaru...what the gently caress?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/subarus-levorg-prototype-is-the-2015-wrx-wagon-of-your-dreams-2013-tokyo-auto-show/

quote:

Folks, what we have here is an honest-to-goodness 2015 WRX in wagon duds.

This isn’t hyperbole, either. We’re not suggesting the Levorg is like a WRX—it straight up is a WRX, well, sort of. Subaru tells us the two cars share a lot, an idea that’s backed up by browsing the pair’s specifications. The Levorg’s dimensions mirror those of the WRX sedan (itself an adaptation of the lowly Impreza), but it is slightly narrower—it lacks the WRX’s flared fenders—and is 3.7 inches longer thanks to its cargo-swallowing butt. The front fascia, grille, headlights, and hood are identical to the WRX’s units, and the Levorg’s wraparound taillight design follows the WRX sedan’s look, as well. The story is the same inside, where the WRX’s upscale version of the humble Impreza’s interior looks to have been carried over untouched, flat-bottom steering wheel and all.

The up-level engine is the sweetheart, though: It is a direct-injection, turbocharged 2.0-liter boxer four that spits out 296 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. That’s a significant 28 horsepower and 37 lb-ft more than the WRX, meaning we could be getting our first look at the upcoming WRX STI’s motor.

Yet, THIS one is CVT only. I don't get you sometimes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

I remember people having similar conversations when the last gen came out.

Throatwarbler posted:

People who own gen x subarus just really hate gen x +1 subarus. :geno:

Yup.

Also,

quote:

Ask around and the WRX is widely seen as a boy-racer car. Tarted up, lowered, and loudened, the entry-level Subaru sports sedan is often associated with reversed baseball caps, street racing, and reckless driving.

This, Subaru is quick to point out, is the second-hand WRX owner. The guy who picks one up at the dealer is altogether different. The boy who challenges you to a downtown drag race in the WRX is not the one who snagged it from the showroom. The original owner likes to keep his car much more low-key.

The average WRX buyer is in his mid 30s. He makes near $100,000 a year. He usually has a graduate degree. And he loves that his sporty little Japanese sedan is a sleeper. “No one knows what it’s capable of,” the average first-hand buyer might say.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Kind of holding out hope that the STi is a hatchback...

Don't. Check the spec sheet here. 4 doors across the board.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 17, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Linedance posted:

It is a Subaru WRX STi. You pretty much just described every WRX STi ever built.

Yup. Who cares what it looks like if it performs how it should? The interior appears like it's a decent step up, and that's what you're going to be looking at most anyways.

Speaking of interiors...

The new TT's interior is *awesome.*

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Model year 2014 Evo X haha.

2014 WRX, too.

Franco Caution posted:

Has there been any pics or word on any interior changes on the STI?
I know Im setting myself up for disappointment thinking the seats are going to be any different from the WRX outside of red 'STI' sticking on the headrests.

In that leaked build guide the non-Limited STI seats were listed as Alcantara, so there will at least be some materials difference.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 9, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The MK6 Golf/GTI was still made in Germany and comparatively high quality.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Now, this I like. I don't know why they dropped all the character the Levorg has for the Legacy version though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

drat those Mazdas both look great.

If they don't make a Mazdaspeed3 out of this generation they are morons. It's gorgeous.

Cream_Filling posted:

Character? Neither is particularly characterful beyond the hood scoop. They also have similarly shaped lights, similar grilles, and nearly the same character line and fender treatment (despite the difference in scale between the two). The only thing that really makes the Levorg unique is that it's a wagon and that it has a squared-off rear end end related to the Impreza hatch, which doesn't translate much to sedans since most sedans have squared rears.

The reason the Levorg is unusual is becuase it's a relatively squared off traditionally styled wagon in a time when wagons are rare and most of the surviving wagons have weird proportions to make them look less like wagons.

I suppose you're right. The rear flare isn't on the Legacy and I like the more aggressive front dam on the Levorg but that part is easy for them to fix down the line.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Powershift posted:

I'm ready.

ahahahaha yes

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I shouldn't be surprised but was hoping that with cars like the C7 being so impressive it would force other manufacturers to step up their game a bit.

As long as Porsche averages $23k in profit on each vehicle sold I don't think they're going to change anything.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think most car fans have the money for the cars they want their chosen company to make.

"If only car manufacturers would stop focusing on horsepower and just make us a simple, light RWD sports coupe."

*Car manufacturer does exactly that*

"Oh, it's $20k? Man, I can get a REALLY nice used S2000 for that much..."

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Never understood why Mazda didnt drop a rotary into the MX5 and call it a day. ANY rotary powered MX5 is at the least a riot to drive and very quick. The lackish of torque doesnt matter due to car of light weight, you get the 40Kw the chassis screams for. Whats not to love?

Reliability, fuel economy, oil consumption, cost, etc. Plus the history of the cars the MX5 was inspired by.

HotCanadianChick posted:

If Mazda decides they need a new halo car, they'd be much better served by taking the NC MX-5 platform, making it a hardtop, stretching the wheelbase and widening it a bit, and dropping in a tweaked MZR turbo making around 275-285 HP (a bit more than what the MS6 was making), putting in a sweet upscale interior similar to the new Mazda3's insides, and call it the MX-7, priced at $33k base, with a fully optioned car going up to ~$38k or so. Keep it light and it should easily be one of the highest performance cars in that price segment.

Yup. I think making a new platform PLUS keeping the rotary flame burning would be too expensive to get anything like this on the road at a sane price point. They already have an engine that would be great. They have a platform that would be great. Stick them together.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan.

The Volt's a hatchback.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, gently caress those Frenchies with their sane work-life balance. I work my rear end off and have this...Cadillac? Really, that's it? gently caress.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

A catch all work vehicle thread might be cool, because really huge dump trucks and cranes and poo poo own.

Do vans (specifically band vans) count? Because I loving love thinking & talking about different ways to haul six people + gear around the country in the most comfort and highest fuel economy possible.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The magic is in the cancer.

Give me a diesel Ford Transit or maybe something like an X5, but I'll be goddamned if I drive a diesel in something small & light.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

As a motorcyclist, meh

It's just like a really really really really fat Speed Triple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

drat, the new Mazda's have been crushing it on interior styling. Here's hoping they don't decontent it too much for the US or set up stupid option packages where you can't get the stick with the nice bits.