Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

cumpantry posted:

did he read the hobbit first?

Telling someone over the age of 12 to read the Hobbit first is just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's still a wonderful romp. And quick

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cyrano4747 posted:

Telling someone over the age of 12 to read the Hobbit first is just cruel.

???

The Hobbit is great and reads fine as an adult

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Hobbit is actually children's literature so it's still entertaining to read as an adult if not a whole meal

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Anyone got any recs for light books that you can read during work downtimes ? Like those "books about books" or facts books, or maybe even joke stuff. Something you can drop in a second if something comes up. Kind of like reading the forums, but in book form.

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Greek-Curiosities-Surprising-Civilization/dp/0199982104/

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Roman-Curiosities-Surprising-Greatest/dp/0195393759/

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Byzantine-Curiosities-Surprising-Historys/dp/0190625945/

https://www.amazon.com/History-World-100-Objects-ebook/dp/B0052RCX0G/

https://www.dk.com/ca/promotion/big-ideas-series/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

???

The Hobbit is great and reads fine as an adult

It’s fine but it really only shines if you’re already invested in the source material. It ends up feeling like a YA novel in a lot of ways and I’ve known more than one person put off by it.

Myself included I’ll add. I was one of those fifth graders reading Tom Clancy novels and a relative recommended the hobbit to me. It probably delayed me reading LotR by at least two years, because it just felt flat and kind of dull.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You've not read YA if you think The Hobbit is even minutely comparable in craft

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Oooh, the titles of those reminded me of the Horrible History books by Terry Deary (I think it is.) They're aimed at making history fun for older kids and younger teens but I know plenty of adults who love them, and the TV series that came out of them. They put a good focus on the "disgusting" bits of history while still being kid friendly. Lots of revolutions, beheading, farts and pooing. A bit of British focus but there's a lot of them covering many different areas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

You've not read YA if you think The Hobbit is even minutely comparable in craft

I’m not talking about craft. I’m sure it’s very competently constructed. Frankly I don’t really have the background to get critical about writing non fiction on a craft level.

The story just comes off as simplistic, a little boring, and in general something where you can tell it was written with children as the intended audience. Fell flat with me. I’ve tried going back a few times and it just never grabs me.

I’m sure it’s a very well written book, but it’s one I don’t find enjoyable especially compared to the trilogy.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
well seeing as how it began as the bedtime stories he told his children

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
how many chapters did you even read?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whole thing as a kid, about half as an adult before I tossed it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But did you read the dark and gritty sequel?

Tolkien preempted the whole d&d satanic panic era with a sequel he basically dumpstered after 13 pages or something, when there was 1 last old man who remembered orcs & the "tree of evil" had juuuuuust barely begun to begin to grow new fruit, in the form of a secret cult.

His own verdict: "eh not worth it"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hey these are wonderful! Cheers! :cheers:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But did you read the dark and gritty sequel?

Tolkien preempted the whole d&d satanic panic era with a sequel he basically dumpstered after 13 pages or something, when there was 1 last old man who remembered orcs & the "tree of evil" had juuuuuust barely begun to begin to grow new fruit, in the form of a secret cult.

His own verdict: "eh not worth it"

Do you have a source on this? I'm fascinated by the image of Tolkien sitting at his desk being like "this Middle-Earth conspiracy thriller idea is boring as poo poo"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look up The New Shadow Tolkien. It was more of a sort of Neo Nazi parable with the younger generation of men starting to worship Sauron and pretend to be orcs in secret out of boredom with the peace.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I want to know how to give Commonweal to people.

They're on Google Play Books and that lets you "buy as a gift" if both you and your target have a Google account.

They're also DRM-free, so "buy normally and then just like email the epubs to someone" is a workable option.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gaius Marius posted:

Look up The New Shadow Tolkien. It was more of a sort of Neo Nazi parable with the younger generation of men starting to worship Sauron and pretend to be orcs in secret out of boredom with the peace.

Yeah p much this. He also explicitly used the term "satanic cult" in correspondence I think

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'm fascinated by the image of Tolkien sitting at his desk being like "this Middle-Earth conspiracy thriller idea is boring as poo poo"

That wouldn't've stopped him - I mean he published the Hobbit and LotR!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hi all! Please stop by the book club thread and vote for which review written by a goon should win the January contest and that book become the next book of the month!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm not sure if theres a better thread to ask this but.

Hey android users, what apps do you use for text to speech to read ebooks for you? Or is this a fruitless search? I'm hoping for one with more natural speech but all of them seem locked to a subscription. I'm hesitant to throw money at them and then deal with trying to cancel subs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I’m reading Jaws right now and I’m wondering what is up with the images Benchley is drawing between Hooper cumming weird, with his eyes fixed and unblinking with his jaw set (like a shark) and Brody peeing weird (the wife remarks how large his bladder is, calling back to the opening chapter where mentions that Great Whites don’t have a buoyancy bladder like other animals). Is the idea that Hooper is predating Brody’s home the same way that the shark is the community?.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just listened to this lecture by Barbara Kingsolver from last October.

https://lectures.org/podcast/barbara-kingsolver-2/

Holy poo poo, I've been on literal inverted roller coasters that had fewer twists and turns and ups and downs than that lecture.

Barbara Kingsolver is an incredibly wise woman and also she is a complete lunatic.

I've never read any of her books, I've never had even the slightest desire to, but after listening to that lecture I found myself ordering Demon Copperhead off Amazon. I think I was in some sort of fugue state.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is A Court of Thorns and Roses actually good or is just "the trendy thing" right now?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Is A Court of Thorns and Roses actually good or is just "the trendy thing" right now?

It's romance slop in epic fantasy mode.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

fez_machine posted:

It's romance slop in epic fantasy mode.

Ah. I don't know how I ended up on the side of Tiktok where everyone is talking about ACOTAR all the time but I see so many fuckin people talking about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. I don't know how I ended up on the side of Tiktok where everyone is talking about ACOTAR all the time but I see so many fuckin people talking about it.

"BookTok" is all about really bad books. Much like TBB, but not the same books necessarily.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mordiceius posted:

Sarah J Maas must have done some kind of marketing deal with the devil because her books seem to be completely inescapable.

I have nothing against romance slop, but I just want her books to stop being shoved in my face nonstop any time I try to engage with anything relating to books online.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 13, 2024

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there's one I follow on storygraph who exclusively read her trash and nothing else :thisagain:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"BookTok" is all about really bad books. Much like TBB, but not the same books necessarily.

WHere do you get your trope reveals?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm a duel POV

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zoux posted:

WHere do you get your trope reveals?

I have no idea what to make of this.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
just lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually I guess Amazon is incorporating them now so who needs booktok

" No one would ever suspect a castle healer–let alone a twenty-year old female–to be the king's assassin. "

lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WHOA mentions of SA :wth:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I, the female healer, unsuspectingly pushed my target down the stairs in his house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zoux posted:

" No one would ever suspect a castle healer to be the king's assassin. "

Just drumming up business.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation

3D Megadoodoo posted:

WHOA mentions of SA :wth:

we made it!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Enfys posted:

Sarah J Maas must have done some kind of marketing deal with the devil because her books seem to be completely inescapable.

I have nothing against romance slop, but I just want her books to stop being shoved in my face nonstop any time I try to engage with anything relating to books online.

I saw the world's most miserable Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at a bookshop the other week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Title of Objects And Concepts