Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jack Vance died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jeff Bezos (personally, I assume) turned off the Also-Boughts for me on Amazon.com, leaving just the super lovely Sponsored recommendations that are utterly worthless and I am way more buttmad about this than I probably should be. Jeff, the Also-Boughts are 90% of why I use your dumb site and it's the only useful book recommendation system that you've got, you bald gently caress, turn it back on or I swear, I'll bitch on the internet about it real hard. :argh:

Oh and from Googling, it seems it's probably coming for the rest of you as well, if you don't have it already.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

That said, to be kinda helpful, look up the book on goodreads, see what's related to it? It won't be as useful, but hell.

Unfortunately, Goodreads is fairly garbage in that regard. I just hope they might turn it back on, if they're just A/B testing this usability cancer or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

that crazy long explanation of how to pronounce "Lolita"

It's not that hard of a name to pronounce!

It's not that it's hard, it's that he gets off on it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
#freesavitsky

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Himuro posted:

Is there a highly regarded list of what we’re considered the best books of the 20th century? When I think of film I think of AFI’s for instance. Is there a good and reliable one for books?

I don't know about 'regarded' and 'reliable' but there are lists, yeah. I think it's gonna be hard to judge without at least thirty more years away from the period, so each one I looked at I was like "ehhh I guess?"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

UWBW posted:

Hey, I don't come around this way often, so I'm posing this question here.

I'm nearing the end of writing my first book, a horror novel currently around 100k words long (before editing/pruning). Have any goons gotten their books published via traditional methods? How does that work, exactly? Do you have to know someone "on the inside" to really stand a chance? Also, how does advertising get handled?

If there's already a thread for this type of question tucked away somewhere, a link would be super appreciated. Ty!

There are a few authors that I am aware of that have accounts on SA, but only GeneralBattuta actually posts. (In the Scifi&Fantasy thread.) But yeah, Creative Convention, the Fiction Writing Advice thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

my school has this terrible habit of assigning 10-part pop-psy ceo thunk books to our students and I end up having to teach them and they all loving suck

I once told my boss if he ever assigned a Malcolm Gladwell book I would punch him in the throat

Would that be your... Tipping Point?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Spaseman posted:

My Mom used a site called FictFact to track series she's read, was currently reading, or stopped reading. It also would show her what the next book in a series was and she'd get alerts about new releases. Unfortunately the site just shut down and she's absolutely crushed. Does anyone know of something similar she could switch to?

Goodreads?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I can't hate the guy.

It took some serious business acumen to develop this eco-system where the readers buy all the poo poo with his name on the cover just because they trust it'll have a certain quality to it that they'll enjoy. It's like the Warhammer shared universe, but he's the Warhammer. And yeah, he's honest about doing it with co-authors when he does (he wrote 24 Alex Cross books on his own, cause he had to get popular before he became an ever-expanding avalanche of co-written thrillers, y'know?), puts their names on the covers and, from what I've read, pays them well.

I've watched the Masterclass with the guy and ended up liking him. He was amiable and gave sensible, straightforward advice for writing the kind of stuff he writes. Two of the co-authors also made an appearance in the course and they both seemed quite happy with the arrangement.

Still don't feel like reading any of his books, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So she alleges. Being that prolific is not unprecedented and romance novels are easier to crank out than other genres. It seems she's been doing two-three a year for the past fifty(!) years, which seems doable.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 31, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A human heart posted:

i can't hate this scam artist, he's just so good at it!

Why is he a scam artist? You should maybe look up the definition.

He writes (or co-writes - he still outlines them) books. The books exist. The target audience enjoys them. He's transparent about how he's more of a producer-editor for some of his series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macabresca posted:

Funny thing is, Tokarczuk doesn't really write all that much about "dark Polish history". It's just that in this country when you suggest that the Polish weren't 100% saint 100% of the time, you are immediately labeled as traitor and public enemy by the right wing

Mother Mary's favored martyr-nation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Goodreads is the best website because no where else could you get a one star review of dictionary of the khazars that starts with "I really wanted to like this book because its esoteric subject sounded awesome, but honestly I knew that I was in trouble when I read the words "eschewing conventional narrative and plot" on the back cover. I'm pretty fond of "conventional narrative and plot," actually. They've been working pretty well for storytelling for quite a while now, and they're good enough for me. ;)".

Supreme.

I dunno, this seems reasonable tbh! That person knows what they like and they've accurately judged the work according to the specific criteria. Like, you read that review and whether you agree or disagree, it'll help you make up your mind on whether you want to read it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DurianGray posted:

Yeah, if I could go back in time and tell myself 10+ years ago to get an e-reader that was NOT a Kindle as my first one, I totally would. Amazon is unfortunately really good at getting you stuck in their ecosystem once you start since a good amount of books sold through them have DRM (in addition to the proprietary formatting) so you can't move them to a different reader (easily/legally at least).

Just use Calibre with a DeDRM plugin.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Humerus posted:

You still have to download the files from Amazon one by one, and even then you can only do it if you have a registered e-ink Kindle on your account.
Is the Nook/B&N any better though? Back when I first got my Kindle those were the only other ones with any real presence. I know now that Sony had one but back then I had never heard of it.

I just used the PC Kindle App. You can download all the books you own fairly easily, then just sick Calibre onto the book files in the folder the app stores them in.

quote:

Is the Nook/B&N any better though? Back when I first got my Kindle those were the only other ones with any real presence. I know now that Sony had one but back then I had never heard of it.

There are many other firms releasing their readers. For example, I'm in Eastern Europe, so Pocketbook is quite popular here.

Looking around on the internet, it seems you can buy those in the US from Newegg and https://they

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Modest Mouse - Bukowski posted:

... Bukowski.
And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read.
But God who'd want to be?
God who'd want to be such an rear end in a top hat?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

never have i ordered a book faster than when i saw the description of the george saunders book on writing / russian short stories

It's pretty good!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Neil Gaiman has actually recently paid Robert McGinnis, a classic illustrator of this type of pulp covers who's now 95(!!!) years old, to paint covers for all of his books. They're pretty dope.

More here:

https://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/tagged/robert-mcginnis

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think people's brains worked different back then. We've been rewired by the internet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Can't beat the price of 'free'! Nabbed.

You should post about it on /r/fantasy, it's more or less the biggest fantasy community online with many actual authors as posters there. It'll get some eyeballs on the books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yep.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, it's blatantly not the actual Cormac McCarthy.

The guy who runs it is funny, though, so I followed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

roomtone posted:

what do you call a novel that has a wide spread of characters up and down the class spectrum and depicts the humanity of all of them? not in an attempt to provide some kind of structural analysis but that simply gives some attention to a lot of characters who in a more focused story would be referred to by their jobs or not have their lives explored at all.

I'm not sure there is a specific term for this. 'Social novel' is the closest, I guess. I suppose I'd call it a 'slice of society novel'.

quote:

i'm wondering because i'm re-reading confederacy of dunces and it occurred to me i always like books that do this. i looked it up and confederacy of dunces is called a picaresque novel but that isn't the aspect of it that i'm talking about, although i definitely recognise that in many books that i've read and liked now that i know what it is.

Picaresque is short for "a rascal travels around outwitting people", mostly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Are there any literature classics or good books that have not been translated to the English language yet? I ask because I enjoyed the decagon mysteries thread but that took along time to be translated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_awards

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Alan Moore (yes, that one) recorded a song addressing this issue back in the day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Has anybody ever being heard of the word "planchette" being used as though it were a proper noun? A mystery novel I'm reading has several references to this Ouija-like thing, and it always talks about it as though Planchette were a person, although it doesn't use a capital letter, like "he looked and saw that planchette was sitting on the table".

This is so weird that it's driving me to distraction.

That word just means "tablet (computer)" in the several languages that people use where I live, so yeah.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Any suggestions?

If you're curious about D&D and other tabletop RPGs like that, there is a lot of good Actual Play shows where people record themselves playing for others' amusement. That's what I listen to when I sweat outdoors.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just played a Call of Cthulhu scenario that was based around someone loving up the rituals from this book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Abramelin

He might have a copy already, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think he looks good.

The tone of that trailer, though, seems a little off to me. Reacher drops a lot of badass oneliners, sure, but he's usually pretty deadpan about it. The trailer all but had a laugh track.

The first Cruise movie actually got that part way better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh no not eighty whole books.

a maze; a labyrinth

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

aiui OP is looking for like an irish author or character "transcribing" RP as they hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3B_tXlj7Q

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

So I recently found out, to my shock, that the Unabomber's manifesto, Industrial Society and its Future, is apparently something that non-fringe people read and discuss

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
i haven't been to that thread because i am a loving child and don't read that poo poo lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, Amazon broke something it seems. (Probably deliberately, tbh.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

I'm looking to get a replacement e-reader for my ancient Kindle. It would probably have to be anothe4r Kindle because I've bought quite a few e-books at Jeff Bezos' Evil Emporium since it's by far the most convenient way of getting them where I live. Anyhow, any tips on good ones or what features are good/useless? Basically all I need is for it to not hurt my eyes and last for a decent while.

You can download the Kindle app on any Android or iOS device and read all those books on them and/or you can use Calibre to deDRM them and read them on whatever, so Kindle isn't your only option.

I read a lot of fancy pdfs so I went back to 10" Android tablets for my reading. Eink is better for a) long battery life b) reading outdoors in the sun glare and c) having a dedicated device that won't tempt you to play match-3 instead. A cheapo bang-for-buck Android tablet is better for flexibility, better UI and being able to do other poo poo on the device that will cost a similar amount of money to the eink device. Personally, I don't notice a difference in eye strain, but my eyesight is admittedly already pretty hosed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That one is not necessarily considered the best intro to the series or loved by the fans of the series. It's a Culture novel that only features them as enemies of the protagonist.

If you end up not liking that one either, Player of Games is probably the most accessible entry point and Use of Weapons is probably the best one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have encountered a cow orker who to date has recommended I read Paolo Coelho about forty times. I have osmosed mostly bad-to-bland things about his work from people whose tastes align with mine - should I just bite the bullet and read the Alchemist or something?

the cow orker

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's just https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
an adult wants her to read it, so it's by default LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME