Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Ah, the secondary minimums performance pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

shame on an IGA posted:

we have pilot hubris at home

what the gently caress is this, op

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheFluff posted:

what the gently caress is this, op

It looks to be the cockpit voice reporter of whichever Pinnacle flight that was that they tried to reach whatever the flight ceiling was, had a double flameout, didn’t declare an emergency, didn’t follow the checklist to restart the engines, and did crash.

e: 3701, attempting to join the 410 club

https://tailstrike.com/media/il2bjcd1/151004.pdf

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Platystemon posted:

It looks to be the cockpit voice reporter of whichever Pinnacle flight that was that they tried to reach whatever the flight ceiling was, had a double flameout, didn’t declare an emergency, didn’t follow the checklist to restart the engines, and did crash.

e: 3701, attempting to join the 410 club

https://tailstrike.com/media/il2bjcd1/151004.pdf

what an incredible pair, hold_my_beer.pdf

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Cloudberg write-up: https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/the-four-one-zero-club-the-crash-of-pinnacle-airlines-flight-3701-9776dd06467b

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Freaquency posted:

Cook Out on Western Ave in Raleigh was god tier but I was also a drunk college student so that probably had more to do with it then any difference in food quality

Not the sort of food people would be happy for you to bring on an airplane though

I've eaten at Cook-Outs all around the RTP. Honestly while Western Blvd was probably the best technically... I think all of these smash burger places (and mostly burgers in general) have a pretty low ceiling when sober. They all blend together.

Now, the best burger I've ever had - one that actually made me exclaim "this is the best burger I've ever had" - was the Mission Burger at the OG "Bulldog Burger" location in Starkville, Mississippi. Insane flavor and lots of good toppings piled at the perfect height to actually be able to eat (despite the picture). Go there if you're ever near there... for some reason.

On the tops of the AA - these Cloudberg writeups are amazing. Thanks for posting those! That PIA writeup is one of the most "just when you thought it couldn't get ANY worse" things I've ever read. It just kept getting worse.. and worse.. and worse.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, that's pretty mind blowing. It's like they messed up one element of the approach and instead of taking some basic corrective steps they decided gently caress it, let's not do a single thing correctly for the rest of our lives.

quote:

Moments later, at an altitude of 2,230 feet, the descent rate reached an unbelievable 7,400 feet per minute as the plane continued to plunge toward the ground with its engines at idle and almost all the high drag devices extended. A normal descent rate at that point, 5.2 NM from the runway, would have been 1,000 feet per minute or less. A vertical speed of 7,400 feet per minute is essentially unheard of outside of emergency descents following cabin depressurization.

This part here had to be scary as Hell in the passenger compartment.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

When you have to perform aerobatic maneuvers to make it through all the holes in the Swiss-Cheese model....

RE: Cook-Out, I fly to one of my company's locations in the south to help them out pretty frequently, and I usually end up on night shift. Living in a hotel on night shift loving blows, but ~$10 of delicious, greasy fried goodness at 2AM makes it a little better. Yes, I would like a quesadilla and a bunch of deep fried cheese as a "side".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:jeb:

JATO is terribly underutilized in the 121 world.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I'm binging this whole blog now thanks

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MrYenko posted:

:jeb:

JATO is terribly underutilized in the 121 world.

I know! forget bag fees, charge for JATO flights :getin:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm binging this whole blog now thanks

Literally hundreds. I've read a couple of years worth and keep meaning to get back to it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

The company has, so far, raised more than USD 100 million and is planning to have the gigantic aircraft in production by 2027.

What is the global demand for remote-but-still-has-a-6000-ft-runway-nearby giant wind turbine market? Assuming they manage to build and someone operates it, is it going to cost $100mm to distribute the 1% most difficult to transport turbine blades or whatever? Business case seems flaky even for a high technology aerospace company

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I think the theory is they would build a temporary runway for the thing since it won't be super heavy and you'd need one per big field installation. I don't think the fan blades are heavy for their volume so it wouldn't need a crazy heavy duty tarmac for a few hundred cycles. And if you made the gear extra strong you could handle a little rougher blacktop as well.

It's not a terrible idea the more I think about it. I just don't think the costs are going to work out.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

The news is reporting on a United flight from SFO to Japan having to turn back, but there was ALSO a United flight, UA870, from Sydney to SFO that had to divert to Honolulu yesterday. Despite all the attention, there don't seem to be any articles about it.

https://bsky.app/profile/marinadove.bsky.social/post/3ko2kfpdlaw2w

The pertinent bit from that (screenshot of a text convo with someone who was a passenger on the flight)

quote:

So when we left Sydney one of the electric generators failed so the plane was burning way more fuel to meet electrical needs. But to save money they decided to say gently caress it and keep flying

Personally, Sydney wouldn't be a bad place to get stuck, but Hawaii is even nicer (and is closer to the US so the flight back is easier to arrange). I can see why they'd make the decision to continue to HNL.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
How does a generator failing increase your fuel burn?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This is the eighth maintenance issue involving an SFO United flight in the past two weeks.

Jesus Christ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Checklist calls for APU operation maybe

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bad bearing? Foreign object in the generator?

My buddy's boat, the rear of the generator.... Disintegrated? Probably due to salt water after 40 years. It still worked, barely, but that sheet metal fan thing on the front became the new bearing/wear surface, making a horrific noise, probably not good for fuel burn

Seems borderline unnecessary, but nice feature to have if you're already shelling out for a second redundant ignition system, the extra $4 for the 4-position instead of 3-positon switch isn't a whole lot

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

To be fair, these things happen regularly and to all airlines. United, for whatever reason, has spurned the click gods so everyone is writing a story for every event they hear about and because this isn't real reporting by real aviation journalists, they often miss some of them. Boeing certainly has issues, and United has some MX problems, but the two aren't directly correlated.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Wombot posted:

Personally, Sydney wouldn't be a bad place to get stuck, but Hawaii is even nicer (and is closer to the US so the flight back is easier to arrange). I can see why they'd make the decision to continue to HNL.

Depends on exactly when the failure occurred, doesn't it? If it was close to or after the halfway point between SYD and HNL, it absolutely made sense to divert to HNL rather than returning to SYD or attempting to make SFO. But if it was soon after departure, they ought to have returned.

Lots of freaked out people doing freaked out shitposting in that thread, so it's unclear to me exactly when the failure occurred.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Wingnut Ninja posted:

According to this blast from the past of the web, the 777 has three 120 kVA generators: one geared to each engine and one driven directly by the APU. The APU is mostly for ground operations while one or both engines are off, but provides in-flight redundancy - if you lose one of the engines (or just its generator) you can turn the APU on to replace its output, but it burns extra fuel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is absolutely nothing. For a while in the early 2010s I was flying to Asia 2-3 times year on Delta and i had two trips in a row that had return to the gate/cancellations for mechanical issues. On one of those a flight was also cancelled because NRT was having one of its 90mph wind gust days and all the inbound aircraft/crew were diverted to HND.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the main difference here with United is they had several recent incidents that are beyond the whole "we have a mechanical issue and need to return to the gate". A tire falling off and crushing cars and panels coming off planes are visible structural failures during operations rather than a nebulous "problem" that prevented getting underway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't know how many bolts are supposed to hold a wheel on a jet but I'm guessing it's at least three. My car in high school had a missing lug nut on one of the wheels for probably 2 years and the wheel never came off, despite the usual torture a high schooler puts their car through. There's a reason why "the wheels fell off" is a figure of speech, it never happens, because if it did it would be catastrophic; never due to just poor maintenance, but a combination of apathy and malice

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hadlock posted:

I don't know how many bolts are supposed to hold a wheel on a jet but I'm guessing it's at least three. My car in high school had a missing lug nut on one of the wheels for probably 2 years and the wheel never came off, despite the usual torture a high schooler puts their car through. There's a reason why "the wheels fell off" is a figure of speech, it never happens, because if it did it would be catastrophic; never due to just poor maintenance, but a combination of apathy and malice

There's usually only one nut holding the wheel on. This nut is usually torqued to about 15 in-lb.

There are also usually other retaining devices keeping that one nut on, but still. Bad guess.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Regarding Flight 3701 - the 41,000 club - I made a video a while back about ‘Things flight instructors taught me which were wrong’ and this situation lines up with a misunderstanding that I’ve seen with multiple flight instructors and ATPs.

‘When an aircraft is at its service ceiling, how fast is it flying’

And the common, wrong, answer is its moving at its stall speed, which seems logical since the plane is at the limit of being able to maintain altitude.
However, it’s actually moving at its ‘best climb’ speed. Now the smart people out there might ask Vx or Vy? And the answer is it doesn’t matter because the absolute ceiling of an aircraft happens when best rate and best angle of climb intersect on the performance chart.

An aircraft moving slower than the ideal climb speed is on the back side of the power curve, meaning that is AoA is so high that it’s generating extra drag, there are speeds which are faster where it could generate the same lift but with less drag.

So if you climb to the aircraft’s ceiling and are below the ideal climb speed you’re fighting a losing battle against drag and will slow down until the aircraft stalls.

(Most pilots have way more experience than myself at being a pilot, and they’re objectively superior pilots to myself with only 170 hours, I respect everything they can teach me. BUT I’ve had 35 years of being a physics nerd, and all those boring graphs in FAA publications speak to me)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Y’all motherfuckers what don’t like cookout are some vinegar based sauce loving chumps.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I will be the first one to sing Cook-Out's praises if I ever find one in the Carolinas or Georgia that doesn't suck.

VVV It may be the proximity to I-95. Can any of you recommend a good one somewhere along the corridor? I am willing to try them again if I can get a goon-approved© location

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
cookout started in north carolina, the home of vinegar based bbq sauce, so that's a strange assertion

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They can't all be winners

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Erudite people enjoy highballs, the Lockheed Constellation, and vinegar based BBQ. Everyone else walks this way.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I only enjoy a very specific non-vinegar based sauce

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The erudite american enjoying sauces named after quality ingredients
The peasant european quaffing sauces named after dirty french towns

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Love it when the NC thread leaks into other places

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Creeping their way steadily northward. There are now Cook-Outs in Manassas Park and Winchester VA.

The Reese's Cup shake is :discourse:.

Let me tell you about Oreo peanut butter…

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There's usually only one nut holding the wheel on. This nut is usually torqued to about 15 in-lb.

There are also usually other retaining devices keeping that one nut on, but still. Bad guess.

lol.

It’s a gently caress-off-huge castle nut that gets torqued to something like 150ft-lbs. Most of the main and nose wheel sockets I’ve seen fit a 3/4in drive breaker bar and torque wrench. Secondary retention past that varies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Warbird posted:

Y’all motherfuckers what don’t like cookout are some vinegar based sauce loving chumps.

As a Mississippi native... NC BBQ is an absolute joke. Poorly cooked, wet meat. Ugh. Honestly food in general here is.. not great when compared to the deep south belt.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dupersaurus posted:

Love it when the NC thread leaks into other places

Let me tell you about Oreo peanut butter…

Wait there's an NC thread?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BonoMan posted:

Wait there's an NC thread?

Yeah in the regional chat subforum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032525

There's also a Raleigh (area) one too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yes hello aviation industry NC thread person here, I was told someone was talking poo poo about vinegar sauce in here what the heck.