Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
My great-uncle was an engineer at Martin during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Here are a couple of his projects:

Martin XB-51 bomber:

Three GE jet engines, 10,000 pounds of bombs, and 8 20mm cannon. The XB-51 was almost as fast as an F-86 and faster than an F-84. The prototypes ran away from their chase planes on a couple occasions. The XB-51 pioneered the rotating bomb bay door. Instead of conventional doors that extended into the slipstream and caused drag, the bombs were mounted to the inside surface of the door. The door simply rotated on its axis and the weapons were exposed and ready to deploy.

The XB-51 lost out to the English Electric Canberra in USAF trials. Despite having fantastic low-level performance, the XB-51 was lacking in range and endurance. Both prototypes were eventually lost in crashes.

Martin XP6M SeaMaster:

The SeaMaster would have been the USN's nuclear delivery vehicle until the Polaris missile became available. It had the same rotating bomb bay door as the XB-51. The SeaMaster was a victim of budget cuts and a giant temper tantrum by SAC and the USAF (who pitched a fit when they learned that the P6M was nuclear-capable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

dissss posted:

It only takes one person screaming to set a whole lot of others off.

I remember coming into Wellington, NZ on a particularly bad day (its an interesting airport at the best of times). It was pretty rough on the first approach but everyone seemed fairly calm but the pilot decided they needed to abort the landing and try again. As soon as the engines spooled up again some woman down the back of the plane started screaming, then one up the front, then a dude in the middle then all of a sudden ten or so people were absolutely freaking out and didn't calm down until they were off the plane.

This was on a little BAe 146 regional jet (the 146s are the smaller jets with four engines and a high wing in the clip) which did always seem to get blown around more than the 737s but no one was in any real danger. I can only imagine what would have happened in a real emergency situation.

Here is a clip with a few Wellington landings (might want to mute it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LaAkAyoz0 . I fly in and out of Wellington quite often and its surprising how often the cabin applauds once the plane reaches the gate.

I was on a SWA jet en-route to Salt Lake City when we had to make an emergency landing in El Paso (a passenger in the front of the plane had a heart attack while we were in the air). We landed in some nasty cross-winds. The main gear was on the runway and the nose was still in the air when a big gust of wind hit the plane and turned us at least 15 degrees off-axis.

Most of the passenger cabin said, "Ohhhhh poo poo..." at the same moment, then we all started laughing. Might as well die with a smile, AMIRIGHT?

The pilot kicked a little rudder, straightened us out and brought the nose down. After we reached the gate, the pilot switched on the intercom and started cracking jokes about giving us an E-Ticket ride. I love SWA.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

InitialDave posted:

The Right Stuff for, well, everybody. It's still awesome.

Toward The Unknown for us fans of the XB-51.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

iyaayas01 posted:

Rotor tip ramjets you say?

I give you the Hiller YH-32/HJ-1:

One of the few aircraft to rival the Bear and the Thunderscreech for sheer noise. No intercom either, all crew communication had to be done by screaming and gesturing.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cygni posted:

sup

WHAT???

Were earplugs mandatory on that? Jeez, I can't imagine a long flight in that beast.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Anyone ever done a Discovery Flight?

My wife and kids bought me a discovery flight at the local flight school. 30 minutes of stick time in a Piper Archer for $49! I bought one for my dad and we headed to the airport on Saturday. *edit* this was a couple years ago, I just re-posted the photos and description here. I've aged a bit since then.*

Ready to fly. Pete, the instructor pilot, is on the left. Pete was really cool. My wife is in the backseat, doing a great job of hiding her nervousness.

My dad takes off for his flight. He is in a Piper Warrior, very similar to the Archer.

Liftoff! We are over US290 near Telge road. Pete turned the controls over to me and we headed west to do some turns.

Sharp turns over Katy. I was trying some rudder instead of just banking and pulling.

Heading in for a touch-and-go prior to landing. Pete did the landing part of the touch-and-go, then turned the controls over to me to take off again. Full throttle climbs are fun.

As I brought us around the racetrack to land, Pete said, "You're doing fine, I'll let you land it."
Me: "Dude, I'm gonna feel really bad if I wreck your plane."
Pete: "Nah, it's easy."

He walked me through flaps, airspeed and pitch. There's a pasture full of cows just before the runway. Pete said that those are the happiest cows in the world because they get to watch airplanes fly all day. If those cows had known that a guy with no experience was plummeting towards them in a rented plane, they wouldn't have been so happy.

That runway looks really, really small from the air. I trying to be cool, but I was scared shitless. Landing is like trying to park in a driveway at 90mph. I cleared the powerlines, cows and fence and made a mostly smooth landing.

The flying bug has me. I have one daughter in college and one more to go, then I can get my license.

PhotoKirk fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2011

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Butt Reactor posted:

Cleaning out the pics folder on my phone I found these gems:

My office view (almost) every day

This ugly thing, made by the Brits and modified by Northrop Grumman

and from earlier this summer...

RIP Old Gal :patriot:

Yikes. Did you shoot those with a calculator? Needs moar megapixels.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MrChips posted:

For all that the Quadra-Puff is slow, unreliable and inefficient, there really isn't another aircraft out there that can do what it does. How many aircraft can carry 100 passengers off a 3600' runway?

34 Piper Archers. :goonsay:

Unless you have a bunch of fatties, then you might need a couple more planes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup. There's no way they'll fly F-35s just for a demo, not with the budget being what it is and the program being in such flux. Blues will probably fly T-45s, and the T-birds will probably fly the T-38 replacement that in theory should be in place by the time the last F-16s are retired. If not, I guess they'll fly T-38s...again.

Speaking of the A-4 years...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears that keyboard intro when they see an A-4.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Tsuru posted:

Ah, the Bell Airacobra... famous for being the world's first and only mid-engined warbird.

Don't forget the P-63, which evolved from the P-39. The Russians loved the P-63 and used the for close-support.

The Fisher XP-75 was also mid-engined but never made it to the war.

Fun fact: The export version of the P-39 was the P-400, also referred to as "a P-40 with a Zero on its tail." :rimshot:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't that an Il-28? Was Life magazine just making up stuff or was our intel that spotty?

That 6-engined bomber is pretty sexy though...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Lobster God posted:

As in this clip in which a Vulcan has to climb sharply to avoid getting dirty when taking off after a B-52: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOgsgnZ8dw

Vulcans don't fly. They are so ugly that they repel the ground.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
My brother had his nail clippers confiscated before a recent flight. After enduring the security dog-and-pony show, he stopped at the Chili's in the terminal to get a burger. When he was served his burger, they gave him a 5" knife in case he wanted to cut the burger in half.

I guess Chili's hates America.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

A very good writeup on the Airacuda.

and a bunch more articles on all sorts of common and uncommon aircraft, mostly from the 1940s

Second Quarter 2008 has the XB-51. :woop:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so many intakes

Looks like a mid '90s Pontiac.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Palm Springs Air Museum

Nose of a B-17

Waist gun positions, looking aft.

:neckbeard:

Click for wallpaper size.

Fargo Air Museum

Avenger bomb bay

This P-51 landed and taxied in to the museum while we were there.

I sat and listened to the engine ping and pop while it cooled. Too awesome for words.

Name that flight deck!

Click for wallpaper size.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rainbow exhaust stain :allears:

Is the flight deck a DC-3?

WINNER!!!

I never realized how steep the floor was in one of those while it's on the ground.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

VikingSkull posted:

Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one, and they are boggled that the Intrepid is getting one. One literally said "why would an aircraft carrier get NASA stuff".

Maybe if Houston would send some of the old rocket poo poo to the Intrepid to commemorate, you know, the Intrepid picking them out of the sea this wouldn't have happened. gently caress you, Houston!

There should be hydraulically operated struts under the shuttle so the pilot could adjust it like a supermodified wing.

gently caress you right back. Every loving astronaut trained at JSC, mission control is at JSC. A shuttle would look real nice sitting next to our Saturn V.

gently caress NYC and gently caress that smug bastard Chuck Schumer for gloating.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Some say he flies higher than Jimi Hendrix, some say he is faster than a speeding bullet, all we know is that he's the Stig's spooky cousin...

U2 STIG.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Powercube posted:

Have a large field you need to spray? Piston engines too low tech? Have I got a plane for you!

1S006-01 by Powercube, on Flickr

Some assembly required.

Ah, the cold war "crop-duster" that carried paratroopers. Scuttle-butt is that it was designed to spray chemical weapons on NATO troops.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

The push/pull plane in the background is a the only surviving Dornier 335 Pfeil.
Pfeil in German means 'arrow.'

The only plane cooler than the Do-335 is the Ju-635

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

This Mosquito had four cannons and four machine guns?

Load-out was either 4 20mm and 4 .303s, 4 .303s and a 57mm, or a glass nose.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

quote:

Some Fat Bastard posted:
In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/mosquito.html

quote:

On 31 January 1943, Hermann Goering, head of the Luftwaffe, was due to address a parade in Berlin in the morning and a Mosquito attack effectively disrupted it. Not content with this, a second squadron went to Berlin in the afternoon and gave the parade being addressed by Dr. Goebels the same treatment. This action very effectively discredited Goering's boast that no enemy aircraft would fly unscathed over Berlin.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey - Why do P-51 mustangs whistle?

They don't know the words?

:downsrim:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Advent Horizon posted:

Am I the only one who purposely schedules overnight flights? Alaska flies an overnight ANC-ORD that I try to get on whenever I go east of the Mississippi. It's over 500 miles out of my way to get on that plane but it avoids an overnight in SEA-TAC that I'd likely get stuck with anyway. I'd much rather conk out on a plane than during a layover.

It's the only way to fly.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ardeem posted:

How do you leave the Fairey Swordfish out of a list of British aeronaughtical shenanigans?

Ahem.

Boulton Paul Defiant

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Lobster God posted:

Yep, and I'm pretty sure my dad still has some of those stickers from when he was on Nimrods in the late 80s.

Talking of modifications made to Nimrods during the Falklands:

This is Nimrod MR.2 XV230, which broke up and crashed in Afghanistan in 2006, in part due to the bodged together nature of the air to air refueling system, installed in Nimrods during the Falklands. Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_Nimrod_XV230

I saw a Nimrod at the Houston air show several year back. Loudest plane I've ever heard. Ugly too.

I think the Nimrod might be the only aircraft that is offensive to every sense.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

iyaayas01 posted:

Cross posting from TFR, since I suspect this thread will be interested in the topic...

Tom Hanks, Spielberg, and Graham Yost are in the process of putting together another WWII miniseries for HBO, this one is about the 8th AF. This is going to be Band of Brothers: B-17 edition.

It's going to loving own, calling it already. Like I don't think I can describe the chubby I already have for this show, and I just heard about it today and it's probably still at least a year+ out from airing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piece_of_Cake_(TV_series)

If you haven't seen this (or read the book), check it out.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Iran unveiled it's totally legit, not a mock-up, domestically produced stealth fighter today:

Looks pretty...futuristic. What about the onboard electronics?

...oh. Well, how big is it?

oh

That ranks right up there with their super-stealth seaplane.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Gullous posted:

Battery 101:

Rumor has it the party at fault was charged with being too negative :v:

Maybe they rode the short buss?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

grover posted:

Sorry, shuttle trainer. I saw the giant-rear end nose of a shuttle in a photo when I was looking for a good photo of Air Force 1, shot and got myself confused for a second. They'd built that building specifically to house a shuttle and were really pimping it up last time I was there. At least they got the shuttle trainer out of it, I guess. Still an awesome museum.

Not an actual shuttle:

I hope NYC is taking notes on how to properly display a shuttle.

/still bitter

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrible Robot posted:

The Germans also built (or atleast designed) a twin fighter, the BF-109Z, but unless you live in an alternate dimension it wouldn't have been one of those either.

If we're dreaming of alternate universes, This would rule the skies.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cygni posted:

Here's somethin' pretty cool:

Wow, those nacelles are straight off of the Martin Seamaster.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

D C posted:

The northern airlines still use them, like First Air, Canadian North, and Air North, but holy poo poo they are loud, like cover your ears when they taxi by loud.

Probably not as loud as the TU-114

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-114

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Mzuri posted:

In the book Chickenhawk, the author tells of military heli flight school in the early sixties. He makes it sound like the instructors cut power completely at least once every flight in the most inopportune moments imaginable, to practice autos. I don't know if it's still that way.

If you're in any way interested in helicopters, it's a good read.

Quick side note: If you haven't read Chickenhawk, get ye to the bookstore and grab a copy. Fascinating book. The M-79 story is both hilarious and terrifying.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, no discussion of crop dusters is complete without the PZL-Mielec M-15 Belphegor. (Not my photo.)

http://polishsoccer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348622

This link has a couple interesting theories about the M-15 from folks at the Museum of Polish Aviation. I had heard the chemical weapons theory before, back in the '80's.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phy posted:

A team from University of Toronto have won the Igor Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter competition, which includes a $250,000 prize. How'd they do it? With a monstrous yet extremely lightweight quadrotor powered by a dude on the better part of a bicycle frame. How monstrous are we talking? The quadrotor takes up a great deal of an indor soccer park, and the blade speed seems to be on the order of about 10 rpm.

The team website. Great job, folks! Now let's see you flip it through a moving window frame like the GRASP lab manhacks!

Wow!

When I was a kid, I had a book of the early attempts at building flying machines. Balloons, ornithopters, things that looked like a box kite with tumors, you name it. Most of them were designed by men with balls of steel and not much understanding of flight... or engineering.

That quadrotor looks like something straight out of that book. I have the goofiest grin right now.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

IPCRESS posted:

Wait, we're talking about loud aircraft and the Vulcan hasn't been mentioned?

For shame, AI, for shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY

Loudest Brit plane I ever heard was a Nimrod. I think the Nimrod offends every one of the five senses.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
It hasn't crashed yet, but HOLY poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=925MgqyU2NA

De-icing is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

holocaust bloopers posted:

The ground crew may have sprayed anti-icing fluid on the wings which would have all of that poo poo slough off around 80 knots.

But I don't believe they did anything at all and are egregiously loving stupid for taking off in that condition.

It's Russia. The de-icing fluid has probably been mixed with fruit and strained through bread behind one of the hangars.