Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Wouldn't the wings look like that if the plane was headed straight down? Glad the 87 is coming along nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I just read

and it is an excellent, although depressing look at nuclear weapons, cold war times and the related hardware. It mentions a lot about LeMay, the SAC, B-52s, and of course the Titan II missle. After reading this book, I don't know how we haven't had a nuclear weapons accident. The book talks about so many close calls it really is amazing.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

According to the internets

The DC8 has a VFE Flaps 12 of 230 KIAS.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Plus, you just know that every time a 747 looks in a mirror at it's flight deck location that it's reminded of it being a failed C-5 proposal.

I doubt it.

C-5 131 built
747 family 1500 built and still going (although not much steam for the -8/.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 3, 2014

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

One youtube video shows an SXM fence surfer standing behind a jet when it is taking off. The genius then loses their grip on the fence due to jet blast, falls down and cracks their head against a cement road barrier. They must have been liquored up. There are warning signs everywhere not to do that.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I had two flights on the Queen back in April on Delta business class. The 747s are really old, but they were great flights. I flew LAX-NRT and NRT-JFK. I've been an AVgeek since my teens, and these were the first flights on the 747 for me. Also got a 77L which was also a first. The 747's with Delta will only be around until 2018-2020 and I think United's birds are old too and will be replaced by the A350. I taped that 747 show also but need to watch it. Most of the 747 flights today are US-Pacific and Delta also has a flight to Israel on a 747.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I want 6 GE90s on the An-225

You would only need 4. Probably 3 would work just fine as long as the rudder(s) worked well.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 4, 2014

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

I posted about that last year. A 737 with two GE90s (or 747 with 4) would have better power/weight than a fighter, even at MTOW; with just fuel, it'd be over 2:1.

Too funny. I wish you did a front view. The GE90 is the same diameter as the 737 fuselage. It would need some tall gear! I recently rode the 77L from ATL-LAX and expected the GE90s to be much louder than they were (on takeoff). It was a really nice flight, though.

I'm sure you've seen the pics of the A320NEO. It looks a little like your mock-up, although not as severe.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 4, 2014

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

Nice video of the new -9.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Here she is on the ground. Absolutely beautiful wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byvYioApgDQ

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

That live feed is pretty cool, was not expecting a ground control audio loop.

I have two long haul flights booked for April, SFO to HKG on a 747-400 and then PVG (Shanghai) to LAX on a 787-9, I think the last time I flew on a widebody Boeing airplane I was 7 years old. Is there anything of interest I should look at when boarding/flying? I've been on Airbus a350/a320 transatlantic and it was a pretty boring plane from what I remember. The 787 scares the hell out of me, stretched version of a brand new carbon fiber plane. Yikes. I fly on 737s all the time and that doesn't bother me, but it's also made of aluminum with a 100+ year flight heritage.

Also, I'm a stomach sleeper and can't sleep fully upright using one of those U-shaped pillows, has anyone seen/tried the Skyrest pillow? It looks ridiculous but I've attempted similar things with my carry on and a combination of pillows and a jacket. SFO to HKG is supposed to be a 14 hour red eye, as is the trip home so I imagine I'd get a lot of use out of this thing.

I would check seatguru to find the best seating since those are long flights. I wouldn't worry about the carbon fiber. It is incredibly strong. I did the Boeing tour last fall and we were able to see a mockup section of the plane and the material is super strong. If I worried about anything, it would be the batteries, but they seem to be doing OK. The last few years I have flown Delta BE and had lie flats to Asia, but before that when I was back in coach I used Ambien to help me sleep. It worked well, but YMMV. I would test it first before you traveled just to see how you react. Are you on United? I'm not sure they have avod back in economy. That really helps a lot watching movies/shows.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 10, 2015

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, united economy class, I am planning on bringing my e-reader and one of those 5000mAh usb batteries for my phone + laptop for "in flight movie". Does united really not have avod in economy in 2015? My transatlantic flight on American last summer did.

I took a 21 hour bus ride in Argentina (turns out, South America is huge) and they have large array of questionably legal over the counter options to knock you out during the trip and that definitely made the trip shorter/more pleasant.

Do you just book an appt with the doctor and ask for a prescription here in the US? I've never done that before. Ambien sounds like a great solution though, at least on a bus they let you out every 4 hours or so to walk around.

I never fly United, and I looked on seatguru, but couldn't see for sure if they had avod in coach or not. It's in first or business. I told my doctor that I was flying and wanted some Ambien and he wrote me a script for like 10 pills. It does cause some people to do weird things, but it doesn't me. Again, I would try at home first before using it in flight. I've used it 3x on long flights and it worked great for me. If you are on flight 869, that one takes off at 1:30 Pacific time and takes over 14 hours. I would definitely try to sleep on that flight in some capacity. I'm a stomach sleeper too, but using an eye shade, ear plugs, ambien and a neck pillow allowed me to sleep OK years back. You might try getting a window seat, which would let you lean up against the side of plane with a regular pillow. The reviews of the United 747 in economy are pretty dismal.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_747-400_B.php

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Syndic Thrass posted:

I watched something on the Smithsonian Channel (Great Planes, maybe?) And it was about his 757. While nothing else was on, I watched it but Trump constantly going on about "a high tech aeroplane like this one is a very delicate machine" to justify him being a huge rear end to the maint guys got old fast.

I just watched this too. He comes off as a completely insufferable douche. I actually felt bad for anyone that had to deal with him or his plane. Watching the main pilot polish the gold seat belt buckles was almost too much.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I wouldn't fly Allegiant if they paid me to.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

i wear pajamas during flights all the time. the shortest flight i have taken is 19 odd hours so ymmv.

I just did DFW-HKG and it took 16.5 hrs. I changed into my PJs after dinner and kept them on until shortly before landing. Had business class lie-flat so you best believe I wanted to be comfy. I'll be wearing them again on the return trip tomorrow. Nobody cares. First class even gets their own PJs onboard, so it's perfectly acceptable to do.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The cargo market blows right now and fuel is cheap so demand for new-build freighters is extremely low. I think there are extant orders for 767-300Fs but why bother with new build when you can get retrofits off cheap airframes?

In 2015 FedEx ordered 50 763-Fs and have options for 50 more. I'm sure they got a sweetheart of a deal to keep the line going while the tanker program got online.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Is there any more movement on Boeing cranking out two 747-800s for the USAF to replace the VC-25s? I know there was some conversation about it, since it very well might be the last four engined aircraft Boeing ever builds.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-receives-first-contract-of-air-force-one-reca-421423/

Seems to be moving pretty slow, but there is no way the line will close w/o at least 2 747-8's being made to replace the vc-25s. Article mentions the possibility of a 3rd as well.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Is there a place where you can pay for seat time in a true simulator? I would absolutely love to try a 737 sim or something along those lines and would pay for the opportunity (within reason of course).

There is 767 simulator in Miami

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34438-d3803290-Reviews-Wingman_Adventures-Miami_Florida.html

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

But the 767 line is still open? The Boeing website says they have 73 767-300Fs unfulfilled and then they just have the 23 KC-46s to build.

FedEx has 767-300F planes on order all the way until 2020. I did the Boeing tour back in 2014 and it was great, but sadly the 767 area was not part of it. I figured it was because of security rules due to the military tanker version, but not sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I'm flying a 747 for the first time on the way back from London this fall, I'm pretty excited about that.

You'll enjoy it. I did 2 trips back and forth in 2014 on Delta and really enjoyed them. Upper deck is much more enjoyable (much quieter and less people) if you can swing it.