Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nebakenezzer posted:

Those kawaii nekkos are from a big Japanese trade show/hobby expo. The model I'd most like to play with are from a group build of the Nakajima G10N, Japan's Amerika bomber:

Am I the only one wondering about the, umm, overtones, of the bombers flying over the statute of liberty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

marumaru posted:

the a380 is loving awesome and one of my favorite planes
no i dont care the cockpit is ugly everything else is pretty!!

That's a strange typo for "340-300."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Koesj posted:

Emirates overnight from Dubai to Hamburg or Düsseldorf (I forgot) on an otherwise empty center row, with 4-seat across ‘lie-flat’ as the flight attendant called it, was by far the best, especially for a €400 return trip.

Same on an Austrian Vienna-Newark day flight. Whole center row of 4 to myself, flight attendant kept topping up the white wine, all three hobbit movies on the IFE. Not traveling in style, but with pleasure.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s not quite fully true since you can tell the “bad” airlines by who runs 3-4-3 777s.

Still beats the old united 777s with five across the middle. Was on one of those on a ten-hour flight to Hawaii once, for a wedding. And they treated it like a normal domestic flight too, with only BoB food and drinks and no IFE.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s seriously just Paris.

It's seriously just Paris, if you don't speak French. They get like fifteen times their population in tourists a year and ninety-some percent of them are never coming back, why make the effort? And AF is the exact same.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MrYenko posted:

My favorite part of Charlotte is that no matter what flight you come in on, and what flight you're leaving on, you WILL be separated by a minimum of literally every single gate on that terminal. Arrived A36? Your connection is either at A1, or (more likely,) its in C terminal.

But rocking chairs . . . ?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In my experience each hour above about 8 hours feels like 1.5 hours, and each hour above about 12 hours feels like 2. not having been on a flight above about 14.5 hours I cannot speak to the time after this point, but I imagine the last few hours are excruciating.

Having done SYD-DFW-JFK, I would absolutely take 3.5 more hours on the plane over having to get out, wait in line, clear customs, haul my bag to the re-check-in place, clear security again, wait two hours, and then get on an AA domestic flight for four more. Hell, I'd pay extra for the privilege. And not just because the QF plane has free booze and Tim-Tams.

There's simply no way to make Oz to the US east coast, or Western Europe, not suck bar Concorde II. But the fewer steps in the process/things the traveler has to do in the middle of it, the less sucky.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Am watching college football and just saw a "please come work for us" ad for PILOTS at Piedmont Airlines. Are the regionals just that hosed or is something else going on?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was a feature at one point before Switzerland joined the Schengen area. There was a French section of the airport that allowed French people to fly domestically within France without going through Swiss border controls.

It's still a feature but it matters less these days. There are, however, still two different rental car sectors, one with French-regged cars and the other with Swiss, and yes, the massive price differences to match. Pity the tourists just flying in to ski at Chamonix who pick the wrong one.

But, I mean, it's Geneva. There are urban trams that run across the border, much less an international airport.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Arson Daily posted:

6 mil is a pretty good price for a flying museum piece like that. Wonder what spares costs are like.

Depends on how close you live to unplowed fields in Normandy.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Is there a breakdown of directional demand for Concorde services? At least to my all significant travel happening in the 2000s sense, my naive thoughts are that there'd be a differential in eastbound v. westbound demand. I know that there weren't lie flat business seats back then, but an NYC-LON or NYC-PAR flight, even leaving at 9am, arrives too late to salvage the business day, so the choice is to still to travel the day before and spend the night in a hotel vs on a plane. However, the use case seems quite a bit clearer westbound, and so I'd expect higher demand. Am I just thinking about this in the wrong way for the 80s/90s context, or is there data to bear it out?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

charliemonster42 posted:

Just weapons-grade autism, Mr. Zarniwoop.

Belgium.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

smackfu posted:

I have a friend who works at Boom. He was tired of working in windowless secure rooms all day at a large defense contractor. Boom is actually more stable than the previous aerospace startup he worked at.

I should hope it’s stable, it’s still testing with wheels on the ground.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlowBloke posted:

ITA is still flying planes with the old Alitalia livery, if you are flying short stints there is a good chance they will be rocking the old colors.

Yeah, but Alitalia never flew IL-86’s.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nebakenezzer posted:

So this is a photoshop, right?

One hundred percent.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Glad my flight tomorrow is on an A220.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Freaquency posted:

I don’t think that’s supposed to go there

Turns out certain planes reproduce asexually, by budding. Just the process takes so long we’re only starting to discover it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Elviscat posted:

It's a sensible move from an R&D perspective yes, I was responding mainly to "A private company developed a (presumably) supersonic jet. Pretty amazing." Which, I'll hold off on being amazed until they work through the massive hurdles they have in from of them.

Yeah. They made a Plane. And I mean that’s legit good for them, there’s a whole graveyard of companies that have very much failed to make a Plane. But a Plane is not a supersonic certified passenger jet with commercially viable turnaround times and maintenance windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aww, they finally get to be flown in anger.