Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
There were a few questions asked back on the single-digit page numbers that weren't fully addressed that I want to answer here for anyone that might come looking for answers to the same questions.

-You definitely CAN sign up for a different rate at MEPS and still take nuke while in DEP. I did that. When they proposed that to me, I called my recruiter and asked him if that was safe and told him I trusted him to not lie to me and possibly ruin a great career opportunity. I can't say that it always turns out this way but I got my new contract 3-4 months later. I ended up being in DEP for 14 months and I'm one of the only people I know that got 15k sign-on (others only got 12k). Also, I was a nuke-alpha (I didn't take any nuke test, I qualified from the ASVAB) and I'm not sure how that played into any of this.

-If looking into the nuke field, you have never done drugs. You certainly can not continue doing drugs after getting in if that is something you are thinking about. Most people I know here have smoked marijuana but neglected to disclose it to the Navy and everybody knows that's how it is. Nobody cares as long as you understand you can't keep doing it.

-If you are someone who didn't have to try at school and dropped out of college due to lack of interest or lack of effort then you will fit in. If you LARP, play Magic: The Gathering, spend excessive amounts of time on the internet, etc. you will also fit in just fine.

I've been in the Navy for 11 months, been at NNPTC for 9 months, and I'm 10 weeks into Power school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm senior class at NPS now and I have a few questions:

-Where should I live if I get to go to New York?
-Since I'll be taking grad leave from November 9th-19th, will I not get holiday leave?
-Are there any opportunities to make prototype suck less (I was selected for class leadership so I don't have to stand regular watches, I'm looking for things like this)?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
All this talk about snow worries me. I've never seen snow. I drive a newer Accord, should I trade it for a truck?

How long does it take to get an apartment in Ballston Spa? Do I just shack up with friends already there while I look or something?

And now the most important question: should I ask for grad hold in Goose Creek or New York? What is the difference?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Anyone going to be at the carrier classic tomorrow?

I heard a guy complaining at the smoke pad about being forced to go. (a day before the event so it was a long time ago (I hear the tickets were hundreds of dollars!))

Also, commence stand down and I am here at Goose Creek with like six other people total that aren't on leave and one of them was wearing a red corduroy suit with matching fedora. :(

300-400 people on grad hold are moving to prototype in January but those that are going to SC prototype won't class up until at least July wtf?

~a dozen people got masted last week

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

I was excited about going to the Carrier Classic but it turned out to be really lovely(because the men's game got canceled). I'm in Goose Creek also not on leave, but I don't smoke so you won't see me! The dude with the suits is well known amongst both staff and students for consistently looking like a 3rd rate pimp.

One incident that led up to two masts was all over the school for two weeks before they went to mast for it. It's crazy how mast-thirsty students here are.(my class is, I assume they all are)

Is this your first stand down staying here? It's so creepy outside but you can ride any bike you want to!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I just want to add a place to Ket's list: The Coast Bar&Grill. A bit pricey but the best seafood I've ever had. It's down an alley near Joe Pasta.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Can someone tell me where to live? I'm supposed to be leaving for Balston Spa in 23 days and I haven't found a home yet. Can anyone up there recommend a neighborhood/apartment complex? Or is there a website where I can tell it I want to live close to base 3bed/2bath w/ garage?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Googling got me to the AHRN website which is really useful (military run, search parameters are exactly what I needed). I remember being told about this at one of the briefs at the end of NPS. So now I just need to decide which area to live in (sounds like Saratoga Springs is the way to go).

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

Trip Report: Cook-Out

I'm going to fail my next weigh-in and it's all your fault.

I really don't think Cookout is that good. I have a friend that likes to eat there and I've been with him a couple times and everything tastes really mediocre. The sweet tea was really good, though. They clean the nozzles at least, for anyone that knows that taste tea gets when poured out of a dirty nozzle.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Also, The Dive now has Shiner Bock on draft!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm moving to NY on the 18th for prototype! Pretty exciting to get out of Goose Creek, right? Check the weather up there and it's -8*F. I've never even seen snow!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I got 15k but the other guys in my class mostly got 12k

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Lets talk about command urinalysis at NNPTC.

It struck me today that our country is in a multi-trillion dollar debt with >45% of our budget being military because we think it is okay to do things like this. I want to know how expensive a command urinalysis is.

I have had seven different urinalyses since reporting to NNPTC.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Well that's not bad at all. I wonder if they calculated wasted time.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

scripterror posted:

Also a power school student killed himself. Another honorary member of the Skipjack Diving Team.

Whoa did he actually jump off?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm at prototype in NY and want to get the standard minor surgery fix for ingrown toe nails. I usually clip them well but I messed it up last time and now one is swollen and infected so tomorrow I will call and make an appointment. I don't know how to interface with medical but ideally I want to get this done as soon as possible and then not really slip behind (I'm currently 10% ahead of the curve). Should I just schedule it for early in the morning and not go to work that day at all then try to go to work the next day? I'm p sure I can't make it to day 7, it hurts real bad.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

No advice for that situation specifically, but AFAIK the only way the navy fixes ingrown toenails is to rip the whole thing out. So, uh, good luck with that.

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Time to bust out the Jack Daniels and get cutting

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I told my TC and made an appointment and sure enough they're taking the whole nail. But at least I get out of work early for it!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I was never going behind my staffs back or anything my sa and lpo knew I was making the appt

Edit: furthermore, when I asked my lpo how to go about making a medical appointment he told me, "first you use your hands to call em then your voice to tell them you need an appointment."

Fake edit: they are currently doing the yanking.

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 18, 2013

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't even remember doing a PRT in Ballston Spa, nor do I recall where you'd do one. Not like you'd run around the facility.

We did a PRT at the end of off crew in the literally freezing rain. They subtracted a full minute from everyones run time though.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
They didn't take my whole nail because I asked them not to! They also didn't give me any meds even though I asked them to.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So I got picked up welder. XO up here in BSpa loves to tell us how we all get 30 days of leave when we get out of here and how even if our plant gets delayed, he will push back our report dates so we can have that 30 days. I have been looking forward to that leave for a while. Will I get 30 days to report to welding school in Groton and/or 30 to report to actual Navy?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

I got my nuke leave after I finished welding school.

Was this recent?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Thanks guys.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

itsrobbiej posted:

Fun Navy stuff this week at BSpa! God can the week be over already?

Students actually qualifying at MARF! Until ORSE goes away and the president shuts us down, that is.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So we get thirty days of leave when we leave prototype, how do they pay us for the move? Are they gonna pay my gas all the way back home then also to my ultimate destination? Can I stay in hotels the entire time? If I get a U-haul box truck to move all my stuff to home then another when my leave is up do they pay for both?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Your travel money and your move money are separate. If you move your own stuff, you get paid based on weight and distance. The amount you get is roughly 75% what it would cost the government to pay some company to move you. If you don't move your own stuff, you don't get paid for it. The government hires some company and pays them directly.

Your travel money is based on distance from your current duty station to your next one by the most direct route. The amount of time you spend getting there doesn't affect the pay. The amount you spend on hotels or gas doesn't affect the pay. If you take a detour, it doesn't affect the pay. You can also opt to take a plane ticket instead of getting paid to drive your POV, in which case you will get paid almost nothing.

Your leave is completely unrelated to your travel pay. If you stay in hotels for 30 days you will undoubtedly spend way more money than the government pays you to travel. The Navy assumes you can safely drive about 300 miles a day, so for a typical coast-to-coast move you'll get about enough money to stay 9 nights in a budget hotel plus 9 days of meals plus 3000 miles of gas money at like 25 mpg.

So what I'm gathering is that the pay is basically fixed based on my weight slips and distance between commands so definitely don't sell my furniture before moving.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Be sure to transport your waterbed full. If you have a motorcycle that is also allowed to be loaded.

So if I get a Uhaul won't it be the difference between my car empty and my car plus a uhaul plus my motorcycle in the uhaul plus my furniture? That seems like a rather large weight difference.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
So buy a truck is what I'm getting out of this. Do they pay more based on gas receipts?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
My welcome package says reporting uniform is uniform of the day. I'll talk to my sponsor guy about it first, of course.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
How long will it take for the e5 exam to be graded because I will get NEC in two weeks (but I take the test tomorrow)?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys, I qualified.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131002/PC16/131009902

Navy Nukes in the news again(this time super sad and not robbing a store for ritalin)

e: That article doesn't mention it, but Ashley worked at The Dive as a bartender.

Was she the blonde one? I haven't been there for a year but I remember there was a blonde one and a dark-haired one and one of them was named Ashley.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Tuckleberry posted:

I've got a potential job offer at "NY prototypes and labs" from an old contact. All it requires is a 108 qual. I don't know a whole lot about the prototypes as I'm a lowly non-government shipyard RCT. Any thoughts on where/how lovely/terrific this could actually be? Everything I've read would indicate Saratoga Springs, not sure about the lab part though.

I tried to talk to the civilians on site as much as possible when I was in new York because they were always happy. Because they were always happy. Always happy.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I had an epiphany today. All rates get free college.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Cousarr posted:

Wait. How are you guys not having to clean the shitter on the sub? I've got to scrub the toilets at least once a week as part of after watch cleanup.

Your boat hates you (unless you're a carrier guy but the way you said 'the sub' makes me think you're a sub guy)

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Second chances in life do happen. Don't treat this turn as stupidly as your last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Has anyone gotten out and gone to a career in the space field?

• Locked thread