Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Attitude Indicator posted:

https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/a8kk5xaqp8b6smpn/

P/T
C/C

New album and/or tour? Or just some old recordings and new merch?

There are two 10-second videos on the PT YouTube put up in the last day. Some people have been messing around with reversing the audio and speeding it up, and others have gone into the metadata. It appears to be a snippet from a new song called Harridan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYGmLyjFxaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That song, if you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k

Apparently a lot of the tracks have been stored as WIPs since The Incident, so even if Colin Edwin isn't touring he may be on the album somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Got my ticket to see Porcupine Tree at Wembley. It's going to be a long year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

I recently discovered that John Carpenter's son, Cody Carpenter, has a prog-rock solo-project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeb8tcYV10 Not sure if he's come up in the thread, but it's pretty solid.

So few people have listened to the track on YouTube that it looks like he's personally thanked most people for saying nice things.

I'll have to check that out. I've seen him live twice with his father and own all the Lost Themes albums and Anthology, but prog is not electronic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

This found its way onto my YT recs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o99pIei5q68

I don't normally like reaction videos, but this guy's are different to most in that he doesn't stop the music every minute to talk at length about what he just heard. Instead he analyses the music as it plays, and attempts to accompany or replicate the chord structure on piano - generally with some success. It's a pretty pro click.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lunsku posted:

Should give Subterranea a spin after a long, long while, haven't touched that in years and I really loved it back in early 00s.

I rate Subterranea alongside 666 by Aphrodite's Child. Which is to say: not at all, but it's worth a listen as an interesting curiosity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

After a mere two years of delay, it looks like I'm finally going to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets live in May. I haven't been to a gig of any kind since I saw Alice Cooper backed with the MC5 and the Stranglers in October 2019, so I am stoked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And is also less likely to be read as "IT COCK".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dates for the Canada/US/Mexico leg of the Porcupine Tree tour have just been released and advance ticket sales for people who pre-ordered the album open tomorrow at 10am local time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hatelull posted:

My brother is a huge prog nerd and Porcupine Tree is one of his favorites. I did the necessary and grabbed two tickets this morning for the Dallas show at the pre-sale. Pretty solid seats too I think, although pricey. Not really familiar with the venue and this will be a road trip for us. Should be fun though.

I like some of Wilson's solo stuff and the few PT albums I've listened to, I dig. I can see how they would be pretty stellar live. BUT, the promo pic is definitely just the three of them. It's been mentioned the bassist is not back for this new material. Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

From everything after Lightbulb Sun they toured with John Wesley on guitar and backing vocals. I don't doubt that they'll find a very good bass player to replace Colin on tour.

Now, hush and enjoy the second cut from C/C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY148yblJdg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hexwren posted:

the original pompeii film. not the one with the boring abbey road sequences.

You mean the boring Abbey Road sequences that are a document of the early Dark Side of the Moon sessions?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just got my tickets for Saucerful of Secrets. :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Gilmour and Mason are putting out a new song for Ukraine.

It's also bloody good, so unlimber your wallets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Third cut from Closure/Continuation. Hard to believe it's just one month away now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQ7fwkzBYA

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NO :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEfyq7l3pHs

Some information on the tour set:

* The entire of C/C will be played.
* The rest of the set includes some deep cuts, and is mostly drawn from Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia.
* There is at least one track on the set list that has never been played live before.
* The D on the "track list" of the album is Dignity.

There's also a couple of other things come out about the tour. Nathan Navarro will be on bass in place of Colin Edwin (Wilson did the bass parts for the album himself), and Randy McStine is replacing John Wesley on guitar/backing vocals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm looking forward to the release of the Album of the Year on the 24th, let me tell you.

(I am, of course, referring to Long, Long Road by Arthur Brown.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Final preview from C/C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yjtkTitsA

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Having just listened to the album through twice

How did you get the album early?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

some decently dep cuts too. Really happy to hear Drown With Me and Buying New Soul live.

e: new members are pretty great too. My sincere hope is they click well enough that they end up writing some new more material together, but IIRC SW's made it pretty clear they're touring members only, so :shrug:

That's always been the way, though. John Wesley was only ever just a touring member as well.

Glad to hear the show was good. It should be better by the time I see them at the end of the tour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are great because they're dead-center in that transitionary phase between full-on psychedelic weirdness of the earlier stuff and the heavier/poppier stuff later on.

I'm going to be murdered by Steven Wilson if he ever finds out, but I got into Porcupine Tree directly off the back of Four Chords That Made A Million.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm torn between getting the Blu-ray version so I can hear this in 5.1 or the CD so I can listen to it in places other than my basement.

Leaning towards the Blu but also considering both given how much I love the album.

The Floyd's 5.1 releases have all sounded amazing. I don't like the cliche of "you haven't heard X until you've heard it in quad", but in the cases of Dark Side and WYWH it's basically true. So many layers spring out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

God, I hate London. If I'd known that there'd be a Porcupine Tree gig in Manchester next June I'd have waited.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So, it's Closure. Stephen Wilson wrapped up the gig by saying that there would be a few festivals next year but "that's probably it" .

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

algebra testes posted:

On this topic, I'm dying at the In Absentia doc where Steven calls Trains "overrated" and "It's people's favorite song, but it's not even the best song on the album."

It's not like he's wrong, though. Trains isn't even in the top five tracks on the European special edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A whole disc of pre-Collins and two more Ray Wilson songs than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ray Wilson - I'm glad they didn't brush him under the rug. But he was completely wrong for Genesis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

It's Dark Side's fiftieth birthday today. Got the turntable running into a preamp and then into some good ol' K240s. Real good poo poo.

I might throw on my Immersion copy. Not listened to it in quad in a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

How in the ever living gently caress did a djent band make it to the Eurovision finals again?

I read that as "a decent band" and was nodding sagely for a moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fartknocker posted:

I feel embarrassed I only got three of them off the top of my head:

Lizard’s Feet in Gelatin = Larks Tongue in Aspic
Over the Hedge = Close to the Edge
Crying all Night = Calling All Stations

You managed to not get The Final Cut?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

It's a fascinating album to read about though. Gilmour didn't even have a writing credit on it, I don't think, because of Waters. Just a completely dysfunctional mess at the end.

The Final Cut is basically just songs that were excised from The Wall for length. Gilmour didn't want a credit on it because as he put it, if they weren't good enough for The Wall they weren't good enough now. I think he was pissed off at the time - When The Tigers Broke Free was certainly a good addition to the movie, and not all the other songs on TFC are bad - but it's still valid to say that as a collection of offcuts it wasn't really necessary and describing it as "essentially a solo album" is 100% accurate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Steven Wilson gearing up for the new album release at the end of the month. Pretty epic, a lot like the early Porcupine Tree stuff when it was just him pretending to be a lost 70s prog band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGkZ31Fmp8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Another cut from The Harmony Codex. It's not strictly prog, but it's pretty decent. Apparently it was written in a way that while it's principally a duet, either artist can perform it solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaspkaqR8o

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Probably the last fresh cut from Harmony Codex before it releases next Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrACQP4AtI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I got into Porcupine Tree after hearing Four Chords, which is hilarious considering how much Wilson dislikes it.

On a related note: there's a 5CD box set of the first two No-Man albums up for pre-order. The second album would be of particular interest as it's practically a prototype for later PT albums - Richard Barbieri, Colin Unwin and Chris Maitland all appear on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Porcupine Tree: Closure/Continuation Live pre-orders went live 7 minutes ago on Townsend Music. Free signed print for the first 500 orders - if you're quick you may still get one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If there's a way to stop laughing at this, could someone please tell me what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQHqxPvzOI8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I finally got Porcupine Tree's Closure/Continuation.Live.Amsterdam 07/11/22 Blu-Ray and just finished watching it. Holy poo poo, they're still so good live :stwoon:

Yeah. I saw them four days later at their last ever tour gig and it was amazing.

My copy of Saucerful of Secrets: Live at the Roundhouse arrives today. Looking forward to that, I saw them on the Meddle tour and it was another great live show. The way they reworked Echoes to not revolve (sorry) around Rick Wright's keyboards while not dismissing his importance to the track was extremely impressive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My No-Man box set arrived. I will trip report when I get the chance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Got tickets for Nick Mason's Set The Controls tour for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that. The Saucerful of Secrets were the first gig I went to after the pandemic and it was great. The set list for this tour is tightly wrapped but Lee Harris has said that it's got some really deep cuts from the early Floyd. The only things we know for sure is that it doesn't have the rumoured outtakes from Dark Side of the Moon, and they won't be playing Scream Thy Last Scream or Careful With That Axe, Eugene as neither track really worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Got to see them in 2022 in the US and it was really drat good. They played in an old converted theater and the oil projections and retro lighting were so cool
Gary Kemp is also a surprisingly good front man.
It seems like it'd be such an easy thing to accidentally fall into tribute band territory and end up being kinda sad, but it's such a pleasantly tight production. Anyone who likes early floyd should check'em out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPTUIY-Gq-8

The weird thing is that Gary Kemp could easily have been Simon le Bon. The Saucerful had its genesis in part at a wedding reception in 2014 where Nick Mason and Guy Pratt, who had subbed with the Floyd on bass since Momentary Lapse, played a jam session with le Bon and Gary Kemp. When Lee Harris of the Blockheads suggested asking Nick Mason if he'd be interested in coming out of retirement to revisit early Floyd but only pre-Dark Side - as he put it, "you're never more than five yards from someone who can play Comfortably Numb" - Pratt was the first person he ran the idea past. It was Pratt who suggested Kemp, and also former Orb keyboardist Dom Beken with whom he had worked on the Orb side project Transit Kings. (Which, incidentally, is also how Metallic Spheres by The Orb and Dave Gilmour came about.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 3, 2024