Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

Nomenclature on that kind of riffing is something I have a really hard time with, because I think it started in prog/power and found its way over to djent/post-mathcore/butt music later. It picked up around 2003-2005 when Nevermore were doing Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor before the Tosin Abasi-style riffing really became synonymous with that style (before I think djent became a thing outside of Meshuggah fan circles), but Mark Briody inexplicably picked it up on a few tracks of Jag Panzer's Casting the Stones ("Tempest", "Feast or Famine"). By a few years ago it was the default riffing style on Symphony X's Underworld.

It's interesting that it touched American power, too. European power metal has been veering closer to prog since late 90s/early 2000s. Although now the trend seems to have been reverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Colonel J posted:

When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.

Same. There are a couple of songs that I like (I Don't Believe in Love has been mentioned), but there are very few popular bands that don't have at least a couple of palatable tracks. Thematically, though, Queensryche are abysmal. This photo of Tate speaks louder than a thousand words.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Christian Queensryche knock-off Balance of Power is better than Queensryche overall.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Big Word posted:

I checked out from them completely after Portnoy left and I haven't heard any of their stuff since then, but I just read up on this album and jeez what were they thinking with this overwrought pointlessly detailed concept poo poo? Who are the people who care? What does life look like for the person who is enthusiastic about the Dream Theater steampunk nonsense album tie in phone game? gently caress dude what the hell

Labrie was once on some fantasy concept album based on a popular book series (don't remember the name), and I think it broke his brain.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Skjorte posted:

He was also on the latest Ayreon album, though that one was back to being all about space and stuff instead of basically being a musical like The Human Equation. But Paladinus probably meant the Roswell Six album, which was kinda like The Human Equation except nowhere near as fun, and apparently the whole thing was written by a reputable(?) science fiction author.

I was thinking of Terra Incognita by Roswell Six, yes. Based on the book called The Edge of the World by some guy who's also written a bunch of Star Wars novels. It wasn't a good album at all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Astonishing is Petrucci's brainchild

Oh no... I didn't know . For some reason I thought only LaBrie could be crazy enough for that.

Also, checked Metacritic...

How could this happen? I thought it was universally panned by fans and critics alike.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dishwasher posted:

Space Madness Ayreon is the Best Ayreon.

:hmmyes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ayreon is doing Electric Castle live next year. The cast is already shaping up great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5yvFKISA4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's happened with The Flower Kings that Roine Stolt has to release his new album as Roine Stolt's The Flower King (singular)?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That sure is some Dream Theater music.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

I came in ready to defend all the bands who have done acoustic sets in Union Chapel and other venues because of the fantastic acoustics, but this is apparently Neal Morse's actual church?

Huh, I was sure he was Lutheran. At least his album about Luther has lead me to believe that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Saw Ayreon's Electric Castle live yesterday. Wasn't expecting to hear Marillion's Kayleigh that night, but it was a pleasant surprise. John de Lancie's rhymed narration was extremely goofy and forced in places, so I'm kind of mixed on this aspect of the show, but other than that it was amazing. Even though it was their fourth show in four days, it was obvious the whole cast were really enjoying themselves. Especially Damian Wilson. The man is almost 50, but is at his peak performance as a vocalist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XBenedict posted:

I’m an enormous fan of prog, but haven’t listened to a fraction of prog metal, primarily the usual suspects. I had never heard of this album until this post, and it absolutely loving amazing. :tipshat:

Ayreon was probably what got me into prog in the first place. On one of his albums he had Fabio Lione, Andreas Deris, and Bruce Dickinson. I was a huge power metal fan, so I checked it out and it blew my teenage mind.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pure Reason Revolution are reuniting for a new album. Hope I'm not the only one excited about it. Would love to see them live someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlKj5u_SJ8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

PRR are one of my favourite newer prog bands ("newer" meaning anything that came after the 70s). Cautionary Tales for the Brave is such a great EP. I've heard that they were not great at reproducing those amazing harmonies live, though.

I've heard differently, but then again, people often overlook things like that in live performances if the general energy at the concert is great. Plus the band have more experience now.

Rollersnake posted:

That's loving amazing news. I was just saying the other day, what a shame there won't ever be another PRR album.

I've probably listened to Amor Vincit Omnia in my car more than any other album ever.

Just listened to it yesterday. From time to time Deus Ex Machina just pops into my head, and I have to hear it at least a couple of times, or it will be stuck there for weeks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's good! Very memorable.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GORDON posted:

Got tickets to see Devin Townsend next month.

I discovered him after Epicloud, and quickly bought his entire back catalog. My son was 10-ish at the time, so he heard a lot of DTP through osmosis.

Last year, when he was 13, he tells me Devin Townsend is his fave band.

So he's excited we're going to a concert next month.

But I haven't told him I bought the VIP package, and he'll get to meet the guy. It's going to be a super great surprise. But it's only his second concert (Ghost was the first), and it'll be hard to top this one...

Sweet! Townsend's shows are always amazing, and the man himself is super personable. You and your son are in for a great time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

I can't believe I get to post this in 2020, but Pure Reason Revolution's album just dropped and it's really, really good.

It is!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gildenlöw's been seriously hitting gym after his brush with death.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fish is known to be a great lyricist, but this might be his best work. Very touching.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I didn't check the description at first, and thought, wow, somebody's doing a really good Sherinyan impression there. Cool track.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tote up a bags posted:

Pain Of Salvation dropped another single - PANTHER, and it's got these cool electronic tinges to it but the vocal lines are really weird, kind of a weird spoken poem rap

From Spitfall it was pretty clear Gildenlöw fancies himself a bit of a rapper.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

"Rio" is definitely excellent for learning how to play bass fast and accurately without jumping headfirst into some insane prog bassery like YYZ.

I just put Images and Words on on my turntable and it amazes me how Dream Theater managed to find a vocalist who is absolutely phenomenal in the studio but has honestly never been that great live. I don't know if they just spent a mile of tape per verse in the 90s or what, but even "this is the best DT live bootleg EVER" recommendations from the Images and Words tour make me wonder why they chose James LaBrie.

DT was my first foray into prog metal and I still love them but holy Moses JLB is a studio man only. And it sucks because he's always had so much energy live and is a great frontman from that perspective but can't actually stay in tune.

He can be good live. The problem is with consistency, I would say. Even on Live at Budokan, he had some gently caress-ups, and he also can't handle them gracefully. Not everyone can be like Devin Townsend and completely crush live performances. And that's fine, considering for a huge chunk of the audience, studio albums are the only way to enjoy their music.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I just finished the first volume of this religious prog worship thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rYL5aVy8k

The proggiest bit is probably around the 7:45 mark but most of it until the last song (which is shoegaze lol) is pretty complex.

Bandcamp is here for the free DL: https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/album/the-odd-awed-god-laud-vol-1

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. This owns (dry) bones.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

It’s 7/8

Europe arguably made a bigger contribution to prog rock, so it should be August 7th.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And now for something completely different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHCTSp1R8U

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

was definitely more DT. is it just me or is JLB slowly morphing into Ron Jeremy?

I'm a LaBrie truther. He was replaced by an imperfect body double in 1994.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Doubleposting because new Coheed track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQf6PNx0DE

More of a power pop vibe like The Color Before The Sun than some of their more progressive stuff but there's also a couple lines of classic early Claudio screaming in there too! I'm looking forward to Vaxis Act II's release.

There's a truly amazing music video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKTHtMmDJQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I did not expect a Primus/Gogol Bordello collab. I'm glad it happened, but really wish it happened under different circumstances. Same for Pink Floyd/Boombox.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Really glad that despite of how covid interfered with their touring schedule, they didn't decide to go on an indefinite hiatus again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a bit rough around the edges, but I definitely wouldn't mind more of it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Does Dream Theater take the prize as the worst American progressive rock band, or is it Spock’s Beard?

Low-quality bait. It's obviously Queensrÿche.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

homewrecker posted:

I dunno about that, Dream Theater has James LaBrie while Queensryche has this certified badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZ-QSinSF8

The sanest libertarian.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I rarely check on interviews of the smaller bands I listen to (you're going to hear from Roger Waters no matter what), so I can only hope Arena are still fine.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I wish Arena would re-record all their old stuff with Damian Wilson (or at leat just the vocals). That's another band where their best stuff is marred by not-great singers.

I'd love to hear Witch Hunt with Damian on vox fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucck.

Oh man, yes! I will settle for a bonus track on a live album, but it needs to happen. Threshold's Pilot in the Sky of Dreams is a great song to begin with, but it was a whole different experience live with Damian.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Polish prog scene is really interesting. You might also want to check out Osada Vida.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Systematic Chaos is in the top 10 prog albums for me, but I get that a 25-minute two-parter based on a manhwa western may be too corny for some. The Astonishing goes beyond corniness and straight into the self-aggrandising territory. Their latest, A View from the Top of the World, is uneven, but they clearly tried to bring it back after the whole rear end-tarnishing ordeal. If not super memorable, it's probably the most listenable post-Portnoy album.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Distance over Time always felt like an apology for The Astonishing in the form of "you guys love Rush, right? good, so do we" and that's kind of endearing to me as a Canadian prog fan even though it has a handful of meh tracks on it.

I had no idea that In the Presence of Enemies was based on a manhwa, that's fuckin awesome. Gonna need to go find a translation of it and read it now.

It's a good comic, just don't watch the movie.

Maybe you'll also be surprised to learn that Forsaken was based on a Russian short horror story by Ivan Turgenev.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not a djent guy, but good on them. Hope Leprous will get there someday, they definitely have a Eurovision hit in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalel posted:

What's the most normie or entry-level dream theatre album? I've listened to bits of pieces of their work and I haven't really found my way into it

Metropolis, Part 2. It's a concept album, but the story is not that crazy.