Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

solids2k posted:

I advise any and all progressive rock fans to listen to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Modern prog-rock/metal from Oakland, California reminiscent of the dark epic sound of John Wetton era King Crimson with the quirkiness and multi-instrumentation of Gentle Giant. They get extremely heavy and mostly have aggressive vocals, though I am reluctant to label them as metal. If you have the opportunity to see their theatrical live show; DON'T MISS IT. Best 'show' your money will likely buy. My favorite album of theirs is 'Of Natural History' but all three of their studio albums are fantastic. The song 'The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity' is probably as good of a place as any to be introduced to their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksutNW3HFT8
I think you're better off starting with the performance art piece of their live music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQOll7LDTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ack! posted:

I'd like to give some attention to the Seattle band, Rishloo because they are awesome, sincere, and playing in Seattle in a few weeks. They've been frequently compared to Tool, APC, and The Mars Volta.

http://www.rishloo.com/
http://www.last.fm/music/Rishloo

RISHLOO Freaks & Animals music Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLdjRa7vww

Rishloo - Feathergun In The Garden Of The Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYOgS7USGk

and a recent interview explaining what they're all about.
http://studiorock.ro/interviews/rishloo-interview-22/
I was really into this band when I found them on Spotify, but after half a dozen listens and not being able to remember how a single song went I realized that I think their sound surpasses their songwriting. They're really talented guys to be sure, but they need a little something extra to push them to an A-list band for me.

I think their Australian contemporaries in Karnivool don't get as much attention as they should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA05U0_S2y8

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Orbital Sapling posted:

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.
Listen to Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways and both of his solo albums, they're great. The rest of his output is pretty hit-and-miss for real prog-heads. If you're into the more metal approach, Deadwing is great. I don't like their recent stuff as much as I did a few years ago.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If that piece of poo poo was supposed to be a movie I'm loving glad that the Deadwing script never went anywhere.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Don't haaaaaaaate meeee

I'm not speshul like you

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BSchlang posted:

Same here. Steven and Mikael are probably my two favorite musicians on the planet right now. I'm kind of hoping Mikael can use this as his avenue for all his weird, experimental ideas so the next Opeth album isn't as far out there as Heritage was :( It also strikes me as odd that there will be no drums. Wasn't Mike Portnoy originally going to be a part of this project?
Knowing Portnoy he probably called every musician he knew to blackball Dream Theater until people stopped answering his calls.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

(Didn't get to post this, since I was on holiday with no internet access)

So, apparently someone with a proggy record collection worked on the last Monday Night Football---coming into the second half, they used two Floyd cues (Gilmour soloing from Shine On... under the first half stats and the main riff of Learning To Fly into a commercial) and a Yes cue (Seen All Good People, also into a commercial). I was officially a bit weirded out by this.
I heard Blues Saraceno's "Fat Padding" played leading into a commercial from NASCAR one day and had the same reaction.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Skjorte posted:

Depends on your pain tolerance. Naturally, the elderly gentlemen have slowed down a bit, but they seem happy to be performing, are still pulling their weight, and are still worth experiencing. If you're a big fan, at least. But 2011 has not been kind to young Mr. David. Some claim he was suffering from illness earlier in the year--and he probably was; otherwise this is pretty much inexcusable--but he also wasn't holding up his end up of the bargain when Yes came by here a couple of weeks ago. I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't gotten the boot.

It sucks, because when I saw Yes on their 2009 tour, I was more than happy with his singing. Fly From Here's one of my favourite albums of the year, too, so I was really looking forward to hearing the new material in a live setting. I still enjoyed it, honestly, but I don't think anyone was entirely satisfied with the vocals.
Man, Squire actually looks embarrassed at how the band is performing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I stopped paying attention to Yes years ago so I had no idea who Benoit David was until I watched this video. Then I looked him up.

They replaced Jon Anderson with a guy from a cover band that they found out about on Youtube.
It worked out for Judas Priest (Ripper Owens came from a tribute band called British Steel), so it's not like it's an outright horrible idea. Sometimes people with serious talent just can't quit their day jobs to chase that dream.

This just didn't end up working out for reasons that other posters here have already hit upon.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 2, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

e: cheers guys I have been reading the thread :)
I'll let other people better versed in prog history comment on what's essential and what's not, but here's some things you might enjoy:

• Anekdoten - Gravity
  • Anekdoten - Nucleus
  • Black Bonzo - Lady of the Light
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
  • Frank Zappa - Bongo Fury
  • Gösta Berlings Saga - Detta Har Hänt
  • Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
  • Myster Möbius - Myster Möbius
  • Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
  • RPWL - God Has Failed
  • The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone
  • Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
  • Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 26, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

The Flower Kings' Unfold the Future is straight-up 70s/80s prog worship, but really really good. There's songs on there that really ape King Crimson and Yes, in particular.
Ooh! If you're going the Roine Stolt direction, also check out Agents of Mercy's The Fading Ghosts of Twilight. The album is a little hit-or-miss, but when it hits, it's out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeywUMtqqs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Steven Wilson should work with Henry Ranta on his next solo album, he's playing mostly prog nowadays. He's one of the most underrated rock drummers ever and I'm really disappointed that he never got more attention.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WaffleStomp posted:

Looks like Yes replaced their now former Yes-cover band singer with a new Yes-cover band singer:

At this point, they should just give up. It's beyond embarrassing.
If you need someone on really short notice, why not someone you already know has memorized and can sing the songs?

(Hopefully this is not permanent.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

david puddy posted:

I am really excited for Storm Corrosion, and have no idea what to expect. I read somewhere that there is only drums on 15-20% of the music, and also that it's the opposite to what everyone will think it is. I'll definitely be keen to get my hands on the blu-ray release of it
With a name like Storm Corrosion, I'm expecting noise more than prog.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My favorite part is how they misspelled his name in the photo caption.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I wasn't that impressed with some of his stereo mixes, but the 5.1 is a thing to behold.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

The second demo track of my prog recording project is finished, let me know what you guys think!

http://www.reverbnation.com/metamusique
This was quite an enjoyable listen, and I think you're very promising, but you need to break away from music that's filled with references to other bands ("Escape Velocity" is entirely too evocative of In Absentia and Blackfield, while "Pale Fire" was, I feel, inspired nearly 100% by Ghost Reveries and Out of Myself). That's not a bad thing, but I'm presuming you'd like to have an identity of your own, rather than being stuffed into a discount rack with a sticker that says "FOR FANS OF PORCUPINE TREE."

But the cardinal sin, as far as I'm concerned, is that none of the vocal lines are memorable; they seem to be added as afterthoughts because you need vocals, and where they're present, they're never the centerpiece of anything that's happening. This is what killed a lot of bands that could have been really great -- Deadsoul Tribe, Rishloo, and Farmakon are great examples. Start with a memorable melody and work from there, or all the great chord progressions in the world won't help you win a repeat listener.

My last comment is on the soloing -- the guitar tone is down pat, but too much focus is on the notes and not the rhythms, and it makes the solos come across as "incomprehensible solo in harmonic minor" or "incomprehensible pentatonic solo." There's too much going on and not enough room to breathe, and especially in the outro solo of "Escape Velocity," there's a lot of notes that are clearly improvised and don't come across as confidently played. It's as though the guitarist is saying, "Does this note work here? ...Yeah. Whew." Listen to the fit-and-finish on Steven Wilson's solo on "Trains" or Mikael Akerfeldt's first solo in "The Leper Affinity" and then pay very close attention to the transitions between notes on your tracks.

As someone who learns best from the mistakes of others, my primary advice to you as an Opeth fan is to pick up Farmakon's A Warm Glimpse and pay attention to all the things that make them not Opeth.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 2, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nihil morari posted:

Haha, is he still bitter that Wilson said Dream Theater sucks?
While I wouldn't be surprised if deep down he didn't like Dream Theater at all, the whole situation is kind of implausible given that Wilson actually appeared on their worst album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

dos4gw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhP9Mtxo5c

A song from Storm Corrosion has gone up on Youtube.
When Wilson/Akerfeldt first announced Storm Corrosion, I told everyone I knew that it was going to sound like Morte Macabre. I'm glad to see I wasn't too far off. :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Yinzer posted:

I can't say that I'm much into prog. However I loved Procol Harum's A Salty Dog and find some pleasure in Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Based on the former album, anyone have any similar suggestions?
You'd really like Black Bonzo, early Uriah Heep, and Blue Cheer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Man I want to start listening to prog rock (after seeing that episode of The Venture Bros) so I got a hold of some Crimson King.

Any suggestions for which album I should start with? Honestly I like the sound of the music but I'm having a hard time hearing the lyrics. Although that's always been an issue with me and music.

Edit: Would Protomen be considered prog?
I tried to not be that guy but somebody should probably point out that the band's name is King Crimson.

If you like what you hear and you're looking for somewhere to go from King Crimson, listen to Anekdoten and Gösta Berlings Saga. (Sweden is a goldmine of amazing prog nowadays.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'd toss Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways in that list if we're going the Steven Wilson route. People accuse it of aping Animals a bit too much, but I still think it's their strongest album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The problem I have with Porcupine Tree is that every album after Signify has a bunch of songs on it that I absolutely can't stand and skip every time. That doesn't make the albums unsalvageable by any stretch, but it always takes me out of the moment when I remember how much I hate whatever's going on in "Drawing the Line" or "Don't Hate Me" or "Four Chords That Made a Million."

Then again, I got into King Crimson through their chillout songs like "In the Court of the Crimson King," "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Epitaph," and "Starless." I guess it's kind of predictable that I'd like The Sky Moves Sideways an awful lot. :)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 16, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

david puddy posted:

But I am in the same boat with every album at least having a song I usually skip (Don't Hate Me, Tinto Brass, Four Chords, Creator Had A Mastertape, etc.) but I regularly listen to all of their albums in full because I find those songs don't neutralise or worsen the album enough for me to dismiss any of it. I can forgive SW for Drawing The Line because it leads into Kneel and Disconnect, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Drawing the Line is an absolutely amazing song besides the chorus! :argh:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm not the biggest Rush fan, but I just found Moving Pictures, Power Windows, and Grace Under Pressure (along with Yes's Fragile which I pirated like 15 years ago) for $5 apiece in Best Buy's discount rack so :shobon:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sorry to break from the Rush discussion, but my boss just joined these guys as their bassist for Farfest 2012 and holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMqsM4Fzl0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Parapsyche posted:

Also, for that dude who wanted to get started on some prog rock...if you want some cool instrumental stuff, be sure to check out the Ozric Tentacles. Great music to just listen to and zone out to, and generally very enjoyable. Also, if you can track down an album called Black Noise by a band called FM, give that a listen as well. It's a wicked album and I listen to it very frequently. Finally, Fragile by Yes is a solid album, if not a little bit strange and disjointed at first...but you can hear some awesome use of the bass and keys on it if that's your kind of thing.
I think even prog nerds tend to listen to Roundabout, South Side of the Sky, and Heart of the Sunrise and skip at least half of the tracks in between

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not sure if there are any Echolyn fans here, but they just released their first album in seven years (self-titled) and in my opinion it's the best thing they've ever put out. Not to be confused with their debut album from 1991, which is also self-titled. Here's the opening track from it.
poo poo, there's a band I completely forgot about. As the World was one of my high school favorites.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

I was wondering if any Genesis fans knew any details about Phil Collins taking over on vocals when Peter Gabriel left. I don't think he sang on any of the previous albums. Did they audition other singers first? Did he just up and tell Mike & Tony, "hey I can sing by the way"? Anyone know?
Wikipedia sure does

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_(band)#1976.E2.80.931977:_The_four-man_era

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm curious to see how this Steven Wilson shred guitar album pans out.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

electrocuted to death
I don't mean to be a complete pedant, but the prog thread is probably the best place on the forums for that -- this is like saying someone was "executed to death."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

You can be electrocuted and not die.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/electrocute

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cathedral's Stained Glass Stories is a must. It's a shame that nobody really knows them, and the only reason I ever even heard of these guys is that my boss was in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu90_-LxuJo

They've received more critical flak for their obvious Yes influences than is really deserved.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Yeah CTTE is a lot more focused and cohesive than Fragile. I like to think of Fragile as a 4 track EP with a few solo bonus tracks mixed in. I listen to just those main band tracks 90% of the time.
Man, I am so glad I am not the only person that thinks this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

david puddy posted:

The first time I listened to PoS is when I saw them live (opened for Dream Theater) and it was pretty good, but when I tried to listen to them after that there were only a few songs I liked (Beyond the Pale is the only title I can remember).
I had a weird experience with Remedy Lane. I knew I would like it but didn't yet, so I kind of had to force myself to listen to the whole album about a half dozen times before it clicked.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Anyone been to see Yes yet? Tour started, like, a week ago, so I figured I'd ask.

Never seen 'em live, wondering if it's actually worth a 5-hour trip. I basically expect to hear something that sounds like a reasonable facsimile, at probably 80% of the speed, and so I'm leaning towards not going. If the setlist wasn't three of their best albums, I'd already have ruled it out... but, you know, I'm a sucker. How's the new vocalist?
I'd have flat-out said "don't waste your time" with Benoit David, but Jon Davison is actually a really good singer if rather doofy onstage. Steve Howe has come out the other side of the ugly barometer and looks like Dana Carvey playing the Church Lady :shobon:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you like Yes, then you should certainly give Cathedral a try. They actually only had one album back in their heyday ("Stained Glass Stories"). It's a knockout, though. They've actually regrouped recently and have a newer album ("The Bridge") but I can't vouch for it, as I haven't bought it yet. The previews I heard on iTunes were promising, though. Also, what's your take on Rush?
These guys are from my town and my boss is actually the bassist for the current incarnation :)

Rust Martialis posted:

Good news for Ade:

"King Crimson’s Adrian Belew has been named as new guitarist for the revamped Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor, who’s previously referred to him as “the best musician in the world,” has confirmed he’ll take part in a completely rethought version of NIN.

Belew – who’s been with on-hiatus Crimson since 1981 and previously worked with Frank Zappa and Talking Heads – says: “It is being announced at last. Something I’ve been wanted to tell you for a month now: I’ve been asked to be the guitarist for Nine Inch Nails!

At least this will work out better than Terry Bozzio getting kicked out of KoRn.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 23, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

Your boss is Fred Callan? :stonk: Man, if I worked for him I'd ask if I could buy one of those vintage Rickenbackers off him.
Callan's not involved with Cathedral anymore, actually - he moved halfway across the country, from what I understand, and still does studio stuff from time to time with Cathedral. My boss is a dude named Sean Kelly (edit: no relation to the Sean Kelly who sang in Industry with Rudy Perrone) who used to play with various guys in the band way back in the '70s and mostly has done session work. He's never recorded with them, but signed on to do the FarFest show last year. That festival unfortunately fell apart. He's a really talented Rickenbacker guy too.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Terry Bozzio? In KoRn? And kicked out? For what, being a good musician?
He joined the band, which was cool, but then he apparently also tried to write all of their music, which drove ther singer up the loving wall. He didn't last very long.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LordPants posted:

Starting with Zappa is Over-nite Sensation and Hot Rats, right? Or have times changed since that was the default start point.
I usually tell people to start with Bongo Fury, with the caveat that they probably won't like it on the whole and it's more about figuring out which parts they did and didn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of Adrian Belew, I always knew he was a major collaborator with Talking Heads, but I just listened to "I Zimbra" and "Thela Hun Ginjeet" back to back and :monocle:

I never realized how much of a huge influence David Byrne was on the sound of '80s Crimson.