Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

frogbs posted:

Cross posting from the Wordpress thread.

So we have about 20 Wordpress sites that we manage for local businesses. Currently we have them hosted on a few Hostmonster accounts (I know...). Recently we've seen performance decrease drastically with no changes being made by us. We think they've just oversold the servers, when we ask them they just tell us we need to 're-optimize our sites' with no other explanation.

Can any of you recommend a reasonably priced Wordpress host that has some small amount of credibility?

The other thing i've been considering is setting up EC2 instances for each Wordpress site using the Bitnami Wordpress image mentioned in this Amazon guide. Is this a bad idea for any specific reason? https://aws.amazon.com/getting-star...dpress-website/

https://getflywheel.com
?
Or are you wanting to host them yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Twitter?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Try cloud flare. They'll have something that might make your life easier.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Aeka 2.0 posted:

We can't receive any email from outside, and Godaddy has pretty much told me to contact them (google, hotmail, etc..)
So I think I'm going to give that Google Apps a whirl, that looks really nice. Thanks!

Unless godaddy is blocking port 25 or 583 this sounds like a problem on your end. Running mail servers should be banned in tyol 2016 anyway.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

18 Character Limit posted:

The SSH banner version is gonna show up on a port scan. This is not as secure as it sounds.

it stops 99% of the routine ssh spam.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

LongSack posted:

Question about "doorknob rattling". Let's say that I have an IP address that is obviously trying to find an exploit in phpmyadmin (which isn't installed, btw). Everything that they try is 404ing, so they're not really getting anywhere. So the question is, block them with iptables or ignore them?

It's 1 of a million other ips that are doing the same.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pretty sure fail2ban only checks ssh attempts. If you're really paranoid mod_security. Or just keep your web apps updated and ignore the million bad hits you get a day.

E: nm I'm wrong. It checks Apache too apparently. Still. It's 1 of a billion ips that are doing the same thing. Do what you want.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Axiem posted:

I've seen the nameserver stuff in Dreamhost's Control Panel, but I hadn't realized that's what it did. Now I know! (I'm assuming that setting it up through my Domain Registrar updates gtld-servers).

With Cloudflare: is setting up the DNS stuff part of the Free plan? If I go with them for that, do I also have to put my static site behind their stuff—and what happens when they have an outage, or does that not happen very often?

Dns is free. You don't need to put your site behind their protection. There's an option to not protect it. If they go down they lose business so it doesn't happen often.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

However if someone hosts use their authoritative name servers as resolvers then they'll use the local records. Don't leave stray dns records sitting around.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Can you use mod_rewrite in htaccess? That'll make your urls pretty

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

mewse posted:

I'm starting to get pissed at how ineffective spamassassin is. What can I do for a one user vanity domain to fix my spam problem?

Welcome to the internet.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If you search you can easily get $10 in credit for DigitalOcean. $15 if you find stack points referral code.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BJA posted:

Hi,

Just wondering if digital ocean is still one of the new cool hosts? I have been using them for a while, and recently got hacked, and was told to destroy my droplet and create a new one to fix the problem (it was about a year and a half old, with no problems until I installed Redis last week, google searching finds that may have been why my server was hacked, which was my fault not theirs). I don't blame them for the hack, or dislike their service, but I was figuring since I have to resetup my server, reinstall the OS, reinstall WHM/Cpanel, resetup a dozen or so domains and their websites (the hack was a malware one that was the kind that downloads, encrypts, and deletes all of my data and will resell it back to me for some bitcoins, I have some of the data backed up but not all) I figure I may as well see if there is any new cool service around.

DigitalOcean has a ton of new cool poo poo coming soon. I used to work there until last month. Stick with them. Trust me. I’m still under NDA but it’s really cool poo poo.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BJA posted:

None of the things I needed I am sure, which is why I said it was my fault, not theirs :) I'd be interested in some articles on the things you mentioned, but should I consider a managed vps or something?

You know DigitalOcean has free firewalls now too. Just keep your web app updated. Use the DigitalOcean firewall to block off all unnecessary ports. No need to learn iptables

E: it’s dope too. It’s at the hypervisor so traffic never even touches your droplet.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Try heroku?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Signed up for a Droplet last night, didn't get to logging in to it for first time with ssh until now. just a no-name IP address.

do yourself a favor and use ssh keys so you don't even have a password for the box and it's not sent via email.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

Yeah I set up fail2ban and ssh keys and made a regular sudo wheel user for admin and disabled root login and ssh password login. That guy who got hacked through redis got me worried about how I handle everything.
I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to run my own firewall? The site has firewall rules that you set and it says everything is blocked if not allowed there, but some of the guides mention a need for a firewall. I installed UFW and it ended up loving up iptables, which was a mess it left behind after uninstall too. I had to nuke that box and start over anyways (something unrelated, involving permission issues and me typing sudo chmod -R 777 on the wrong parent directory).

My ultimate goal is to have Vagrant running on my home PC running as a mirrored dev environment with the ability to push the changes over to the droplet using something like Git.

Nah just use the digitalocean firewall. I mean you can setup iptables but the DigitalOcean firewall is at the hypervisor layer so traffic never reaches your droplet.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You can easily find a free DigitalOcean credit for hosting for a month. Gitlab will give you free private repos.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

LiterallyAnything posted:

Regarding Wordpress site hosting-

I put a client up on AWS for their Wodpress site. She runs a small practice so there's only a total of 9 pages on a simple layout, but even still the t2.micro I put her on isn't able to serve the site to a single user without it taking around 10 seconds to load. I've optimized all the images already and there are no plugins running on Wordpress. Underlying OS is Amazon's own Linux distro (not version 2) so there's not much improvement to be gained by switching to a different OS.

Very simply, I'm just wondering if AWS was the right choice. I put her on AWS because they offer SSl certificates for free (if you utilize Cloudwatch and/or ELB). Essentially I want to know whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade her to a t2.small or take her off AWS and find a new host.

You pretty much need a gb of ram to run Wordpress now. Let’sencrypt is free ssl.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

IRSmurf posted:

Regarding raw transfer rate, I put together a simple wordpress blog for bandwidth comparison between hosts. This one is on Amazon Lightsail (on EC2, 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20 GB SSD, $5/mo): http://brianjam.es/

I upload files individually at 30-60mbps. Each page load transfers between 25MB and 125MB. Pages load around 300mbps. They load quickly, prior to downloading media.

What’s the point? Aws has a cdn you can use so everything is kinda local. I don’t get transfer rate metrics.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

DigitalOcean

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

nem posted:

Their abuse department consists of a paper shredder so this would be a good idea.

did you read the whole story? that company was on credit and they didn't follow the rules.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

nem posted:

Which one? I’m referring to my experience with them never acting on abuse reports. It’s more effective to just block their ASN.

Every cloud vendor has abuse problems and I’ve personally worked there and I know their abuse team is on the ball. Sometimes excessively

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pedialyte posted:

That makes sense, ok. So I could use POP3 retrieval in Gmail to pull the email in that way (SMTP sending through Gmail has always worked fine as far as I know). Is it known if that will lead me to have 36k in duplicate emails though due to most of them already being forwarded to this Gmail account over the last 10 years? If not and it only pulls in emails that were not previously forwarded that would be a fine solution and would fix this issue going forward right?

What’s your ultimate goal here? Just use gmail web client?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pedialyte posted:

Yeah exactly. I want to have all my work emails in my Gmail instead of just getting 75% of them like I have been.

First, does your work know you want to do this? Cause it's probably illegal.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The solution you're looking for is to merge 2 imap accounts but i'm not helping something i consider probably really bad, gmail reads all your emails and you're sending your work email there.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Don't do it. I recently uncovered a lynchpin in a fraud scheme I was investigating with a reverse IP search. I was able to find other websites that the people doing the fraud owned which were in violation of the thing they said they would do.

It was on a shared host with ~500 ip addresses so I wrote 4 lines of code to find the ones that were active sites (maybe 200 of them) and then pasted all of them in to a browser plugin that opens 200 tabs. This took me maybe 15 minutes and is a standard tool in my toolbox.

dOnT dO iT

Why didn’t they use the privacy option in their domains?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yo if I have some domains and want to just set up email addresses on them what's a good basic just email host that's gonna last that I can subscribe to and associate the domains to.

Google?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

For four of us that'd end up being AUD$34 a month, that's fairly dear just for email hosting, isn't it?

You asked if they’d be around and I don’t think google is going anywhere.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You have literally not said anything that we can help you with.

Ask a question, not "How to I make my site faster?"

First off, CDN for your AV's. that's just loving common knowledge by now.

e: if your poo poo is Wordpress just go sign up with loving Wordpress.

wait is it this https://basementcommunity.com?

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 27, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

giogadi posted:

I've tried doing this in the past, but I found that sometimes my compute server would just go down for seemingly no reason; is this a thing that "just happens", or did I maybe have something setup incorrectly?

Just search for Digitalocean codes. You can usually get a free $100 to use. Then just use a different email.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eightysixed posted:

This is an amazingly fun post :v:

Does it still compile everything from source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Yes.
https://docs.cpanel.net/installation-guide/install/

My favorite part is “We do not provide an uninstaller. If you wish to remove our software, you must reformat the server.”

Yeah that's about right from them.