Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

It's funny how the engine was so terrible for Invisible War but worked great in Thief 3.

Worked great for a lot of project of the era, and I clocked probably 10000 hours in Unrealed 2, which is why it's so baffling to me that DXIW makes such a mess of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shumagorath posted:

Because the lighting engine was way better than almost any game at the time, but also a massive unmaintainable hairball written by one guy who left / got canned mid-project. Remember how the little statue in the room with the Assassin Pistol shows up as some freaky shadow cast by a knocked-over lamp? I don’t remember anything else in the 00’s doing that.

Iw is on the same engine as splinter cell

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thief 3 still has tiny maps compared to the first two, though - but I guess that's to be expected. At least if you use the Sneaky Upgrade to get rid of the loading screens, they feel more properly Thief-like.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

site posted:

Iw is on the same engine as splinter cell
Thanks; I played Chaos Theory and that was the other game I recall having awesome shadows (and also StarForce but thankfully that’s since been patched out).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 11, 2024

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm surprised about how Adam's still tissue paper in MD, even with level 2 armor. I get dropped surprisingly quickly if there's more than one enemy around in a straight firefight, even when I'm trying to use cover.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shumagorath posted:

Thanks; I played Chaos Theory and that was the other hame I recall having awesome shadows (and also StarForce but thankfully that’s since been patched out).

Oh chaos theory was ue3, but sc1 and pt were ue2

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The bank job in the Samizdat mission was peak Deus Ex. So many ways to go about handling it. I enjoyed every minute of analyzing and planning my operation. Poor bastards need to learn a simple lesson of the world: If there's a ventilation system, Adam Jensen WILL climb through it. My favorite move was going through the security chief's office by cloaking to activate the window tinting, then heading back through the vent and tossing a gas grenade to incapacitate the two people inside (those things have a huge radius!) Sometimes even the dumbest ideas work!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm trying Revision, and I'm 100% down to play Deus Ex with a bunch of amateur level changes, because I've played this game enough times that the novelty is worth it. But they appear to have placed bright lights over the entirety of Liberty Island, and it hinders the stealth gameplay and ruins the mood without adding anything. Is the entire mod like this?

**wait, does darkness in vanilla even make you harder to detect?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 17, 2024

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yes, the entirety of Revision is like that. There are a lot of changes that seem to have been made with little regard for the atmosphere or gameplay of the original. It is prettier, but it doesn't play as well, and goes for a much more sci-fi feel than DX.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

aniviron posted:

It is prettier, but it doesn't play as well, and goes for a much more sci-fi feel than DX.

The relatively grounded feel of DX's locations was a big part of its appeal for me, and dropping that grounding for IW's more sci-fi style (and because the maps needed to be miniscule) was a real disappointment. Even the prequels tossed this out, although they came out pretty well compared to IW's identity as the awkward teen phase of the series' development.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
In the future, we will have grand technological structures like IW's arcologies, but they will look like two rooms separated by a hallway with a loading screen in between

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eason the Fifth posted:

🤔 I might be misunderstanding, but I'm taking it from the Norman Vincent Peale quote "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" which I don't think is inaccurate? The ambitions of the devs were always greater than the results, but the results were certainly not bad.

Shoot for the stars and you might hit the moon makes sense, the other way doesnt, but looks like that was the quote thx norman

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

After trying every game mode in Revision and that unwelcome Nazi logo in the catacombs my opinion is that it's worth a try but I'll never get back to it, those self indulgent map additions with no regard to the original level designer intent are not worth a second play.
Also the HDivided play mode is the best of the lot if you don't feel like trying more than one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Shoot for the stars and you might hit the moon makes sense, the other way doesnt, but looks like that was the quote thx norman

A "moonshot" is shorthand for attempting something really difficult and risky but with massive potential upside if it works - like landing on the moon. If you aim for the moon and miss (literally, like an arrow missing a target), at least you'll be up there with the stars (as a corpse floating through space, but alas).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shumagorath posted:

Wild how so many people made fun of JJB's neo-renaissance aesthetic and we're almost there right on time.

I’ve got a very similar jacket from the Musterbrand Deus Ex capsule collection, at the time it was very futuristic, now it’s more commonplace.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For real, a lot of sci fi aesthetics don't feel that sci fi anymore. Short of a city up in the sky like Hengsha or something like a weird impractical pyramid like Bladerunner's LA, cyberpunk architecture is just... architecture now. I was actually pretty disappointed with Cyberpunk's Night City. There's more coherence to parts of it I guess -- the buildings go together -- but arcologies aside pluck any building out of that game and I wouldn't bat an eye if I saw it in Seoul. In fact, even some of the arcologies lol.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

aniviron posted:

Worked great for a lot of project of the era, and I clocked probably 10000 hours in Unrealed 2, which is why it's so baffling to me that DXIW makes such a mess of it.

Invisible War & Deadly Shadows were developed for Xbox as well, so memory constraints were also a factor in its very cramped levels. According to a developer on Thief Deadly Shadows, the guy who was supposed to add dynamic lighting to the engine & nothing else, added in a custom per-pixel lighting renderer but also a ton of wonky stuff with performance issues that no-one really noticed until he was fired. By then it was too late to alter the renderer again to fix this. Ion Storm were able to make some slight optimisations for Thief, which was released a bit later.

Real time lighting doesn't work great for big outdoor areas in general, so you'd expect some cutbacks. However, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, which came out at the same time, had somewhat large areas with a very similar lighting method to IW/DS on Xbox & PC though, so it is do-able on low amounts of memory. A better optimised engine like the one in Riddick probably would have allowed larger areas with a more Deus Ex/Thief exploration type experience, instead of seeing long loading screens every 20 seconds. Or just sticking with the default UE2 system for development.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's an insightful link to have dug up, thanks. I have no doubt that the problems were too deeply entrenched to do much about once they were a few months in, but it's always so disheartening to hear "we had to get ready to ship for christmas" filling in the blanks on yet another game that clearly needed a little more time in the oven.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
On an unrelated note, I was thinking has any other game sequel pulled the "actually, ALL the endings happened" like DX2?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Item Getter posted:

On an unrelated note, I was thinking has any other game sequel pulled the "actually, ALL the endings happened" like DX2?

morrowind

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Daggerfall. The original Resident Evil

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Item Getter posted:

Dark Souls 2

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I have like a gajillion Hypostims and Painkillers so there's no excuse for me to die in a firefight now. I just hit Prague under martial law, and while stealth has served me well so far I'm just looking for excuse to cut loose. Maybe during whatever grand finale there is I'll go completely weapons free.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grimthwacker posted:

I have like a gajillion Hypostims and Painkillers so there's no excuse for me to die in a firefight now. I just hit Prague under martial law, and while stealth has served me well so far I'm just looking for excuse to cut loose. Maybe during whatever grand finale there is I'll go completely weapons free.
Mankind Divided doesn't have as many clear moments for that as Human Revolution (i.e. Belltower storming the pod hotel). Maybe the high-speed stealth options were just better, but I scarcely remember shooting anyone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you can shoot all the cops later on in the story if you want.

e: oh wait you're at the martial law part. you can shoot all the cops now if you want

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Shooting rank-and-file cops in this series is one of the dumber roleplaying choices in all of gaming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in md they are rounding up citizens and putting them in cages in the middle of the street threatening to shoot people if they don't like being in the cages

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The difference between a cop and an mj12 trooper is probably their test scores.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I love shooting the police in Mankind Divided, because your boss is watching you do it and he's like, "Nooo, staaaahp!" but you don't ever really actually get in trouble for it, which is really funny.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I absolutely HATED the in-game logic of deciding if you've been shooting at cops; it's based on if anyone saw you and yelled out, ever, and not if you actually pulled a trigger or hurt anyone. So for the subway segment I 100% non-lethal'd it very painstakingly, but apparently one guy saw me and yelled when I was walking into a tunnel so afterwards there was a huge memorial there and Adam's acting all defensive about having murdered them all. SAME THING HAPPENS in the Prague lockdown, someone saw me sneaking on a roof and opened fire, and now everyone (Adam included) acts like there where casualties.

It's like the moment in DX1 where your decision to accept nonlethal weaponry unintuitively results in JC bragging about his body count. Same thing, all over again. I don't need that sort of callback! Just put in a real 'did he kill anyone or not' counter, christ!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's a series tradition to half rear end it. they kill Paul if you bail out the window of the apartment. otherwise he is an unstoppable killing machine.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I loved doing the MJ12 attack sequence in GMDX. Paul is no longer invincible and he's only counted as rescued if you actually defeat all the attackers. I'm not used to having to try in Deus Ex :qq:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I loved doing the MJ12 attack sequence in GMDX. Paul is no longer invincible and he's only counted as rescued if you actually defeat all the attackers. I'm not used to having to try in Deus Ex :qq:
Can you still pre-rig the entire hotel with gas grenades?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Probably.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You absolutely can but it's not that useful on higher difficulty levels, defeating the breaching enemies takes time so it's better to keep most of the grenades for later use.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Serephina posted:

I absolutely HATED the in-game logic of deciding if you've been shooting at cops; it's based on if anyone saw you and yelled out, ever, and not if you actually pulled a trigger or hurt anyone. So for the subway segment I 100% non-lethal'd it very painstakingly, but apparently one guy saw me and yelled when I was walking into a tunnel so afterwards there was a huge memorial there and Adam's acting all defensive about having murdered them all. SAME THING HAPPENS in the Prague lockdown, someone saw me sneaking on a roof and opened fire, and now everyone (Adam included) acts like there where casualties.

It's like the moment in DX1 where your decision to accept nonlethal weaponry unintuitively results in JC bragging about his body count. Same thing, all over again. I don't need that sort of callback! Just put in a real 'did he kill anyone or not' counter, christ!

Yeah nonlethal to the game essentially means unseen and it's super jarring in a game built around different approaches. MD was rushed out unfinished though so blame the suits.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

By popular demand posted:

You absolutely can but it's not that useful on higher difficulty levels, defeating the breaching enemies takes time so it's better to keep most of the grenades for later use.

It also helps that GMDX tightens up the combat a bit so clearing the 'Ton is a rather fun little challenge, gives less incentive to cheese it. Plus it gives you an opportunity to show off what you've been doing with the GEP gun Paul gives you to his face; to quote Sunglasses at Night, "...ask for the rocket launcher. Interestingly, Paul approves of this.. the idea that we are going to use it on people has obviously not entered into his darkest dream."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Unfortunately GMDX over-nerfs the WP rockets.

I'm performing a war crime here, let me feel like it!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, it's sad. The "Help I'm on fire" scream in DX is truly something to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm thinking of modifying GMDX myself, I probably wont because depression but if anyone got relevant links put them here please.

E: gently caress I wasn't even aware of GMDX V10 and GMDX RSD

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 19, 2024