Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bought Deus Ex on Steam ages ago and finally installed it today. The mouse moves reeeeally fast. Too fast. I tried turning down the sensitivity but no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m currently doing a Jensen: Murdernator run in MD too. It’s surprisingly replayable, although not as much as HR. Doing a game+ mode means you max out every upgrade slot by the end of Dubai.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I've been playing through Deus Ex Revision

<googles> Oooooh...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Dishonoured 2 had a bug early on where unconscious bodies would shake against the floor until they died or something like that. It was a real pain in the rear end to spend an entire mission sneaking around only to find out that you didn't get non-lethal because of a bug.

Dishonoured 1 had the same thing where an unconscious body could die when you weren't around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I went to visit NYC last week for the first time, and visited the Statue of Liberty. The ferry lands exactly where Deus Ex starts, on that small jetty. It was very weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

So did you bring the GEP gun or crossbow

I had a tiny 1oz flask with barely a tot of rum in my rucksack, and was made to pour it out by the airport style security. Actual airport security have never been bothered by it, but this tiny thing wasn’t allowed. So, any weapons were probably out of the question.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Isn't HR/MD a soft reboot anyway?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like there's a disconnect between the first DE and HR/MD with regards to the almost... silliness of some of the concepts. In the original DE, part of the world building was 'all conspiracies are true', and you can go to Area 51 and find literal aliens. The Jensen games have a more serious tone, and I don't feel like they'd support those ideas appearing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s probably terrible, but I could do it.

Do it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

dreadmojo posted:

Yeah I think it is underrated, even the beginning stuff does get paid off, it just takes a while. Boss guys aussie acting really is inexcusable though.

But he is Australian? :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve just moved to Berlin, and I’ve probably said it before here, but the whole city gives me MD vibes with its similarities to Prague. Lots of ‘old eastern bloc architecture with sci-fi lighting feature bolted on’ all over the place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve just moved to Berlin, and I’ve probably said it before here, but the whole city gives me MD vibes with its similarities to Prague. Lots of ‘old eastern bloc architecture with sci-fi lighting feature bolted on’ all over the place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Berlin is lit by an engine from 2006?

Very much so. It's a surprisingly dark city.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's not necessarily short, the story is just butchered. There's an chunk missing that shows up as a dlc, obviously cut out, and also there's no ending.

The Tarvos mission?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wish Jensen put away his sunglasses more in cutscenes. It helps to humanise him a little more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

With the news these days, all I can hear is Eliza’s “It’s not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.” :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

feelix posted:

It's amazing how much better Thief: Deadly Shadows turned out, despite having the same technical limitations. It's still worse than Thief 1 and 2, but something about the design of the game made it feel less hamstrung.

It's interesting how much people have mellowed on Thief: DS considering it was widely panned when it came out (probably by dint of just not being more of 1&2).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Thief fanmission community is still pumping them out, which is honestly amazing and cool. I should reinstall Darkloader, and see what's new. I remember playing one mission years ago that was all in B&W, which made the level insanely hard to navigate (and also gave me a headache).

Is there a Thief thread?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rime posted:

The Thief thread was lively and hopping until thi4f released, which very thoroughly murdered it.

There's been some really great FM's since the source code patch, but it's sad that the old hosting sites are dying and some of the great missions vanishing forever. :(

Thief Missions still exists, as does Taffer's Paradise. I might make a new thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Make a new thread so someone can play all the Dark Mod missions and tell me which are worth installing.

Will do later on today!

Thief: Take anything not taffing nailed down

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

to moderately generic European towns in the sequels.

But that's what Prague is like? They very successfully captured the feel of the city while making fictional districts in MD.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Please, my triangles collection is not complete.

Edit: can’t remember if I posted this before, but I saw this advert in Berlin back in Feb, and it totally looks like something in game from MD.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 8, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

haldolium posted:

just finished 2nd MD run today as well

:toot:

if I start another NG+ now it still apparently (according to the stuff in my inventory) takes the file from my very 1st playthrough. Is that normal?

Does it matter?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I keep meaning to get that novel that’s all of MD’s setup/backstory.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I bought the MD season pass for cheap (I think it’s still only £2-3 on the PS Store) and I’ve been playing the DLC missions. The Tarvos one and the one with Pritchard need to absolutely be reintegrated into the game. Respeccing Adam is no fun, especially when you don’t know what you’re going to face.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The design is fantastic, and I see a lot of the black and gold cyber renaissance concept bleeding into real life. Ikea currently has a couple of show rooms that are almost identical to Jensen’s apartment in HR.

Also I regularly listen to both HR and MD’s soundtracks. Sitting on the subway watching cityscape go by while listening to some of the more ambient tracks is remarkably chill and joyful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I picked up Prey for $8 from Walmart the other day, and I’ve been been enjoying the hell out of it. I can’t believe the first keypad you come across wasn’t 0451 though (although you come across it eventually).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Desperate Measures and System Rift both take place during MD, and feel very much like cut content. I hope the game gets a directors cut at some point that reinserts them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/paullicino/status/1250011319203295233

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Given that some (incredibly stupid) people are now calling COVID-19 an invisible enemy I think we've shot right past all of Deus Ex and gone straight into Invisible War territory in terms of sheer ridiculousness.

A past adventure...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

90s TV shows like the X-Files and Dark Skies made conspiracy stuff fun. UFOs! Aliens! Majestic-12! I remember downloading supposed US Government documents about things like MKUltra and stargates at secret bases in the Adirondacks and it was great reading.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It think it’s Disco Elysium now though which isn’t even a shooter.

Sell me on Disco Elysium?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I know very little about it, other than people saying it’s great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, that does sound interesting, thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Wild how so many people made fun of JJB's neo-renaissance aesthetic and we're almost there right on time.

I’ve got a very similar jacket from the Musterbrand Deus Ex capsule collection, at the time it was very futuristic, now it’s more commonplace.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

Mankind Divided beaten, best ending.

Crafty Eidos people, making me think there was a binary choice. I went straight for Marchenko first

Fun fact: you can run right up to him and just stun him in the head to avoid the fight. It takes a few zaps, but it’s surprisingly effective.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Has it been brought up how the recent Robocop Rogue City is incredibly Deus Ex influenced?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mission hubs with all sorts of little side quests, walk around the area, talk to people, investigate clues, very cyberpunk looking. RPG elements with upgrade points for various skill trees. It’s even set in Detroit!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My only joke is about Detroit because the joke was the other way around when Human Revolution came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve been watching BigMooney play it, and Robo definitely reads people’s emails.