Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Reading the post before last I was already readying myself to go find a screencap of that, but it looks like you're much faster on the draw than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jesus Christ Denton.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No, within six months.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It is neat to see people still modding Deus Ex, but man, there is only so much you can do to Unreal Engine 1 before the upgrades are kind of in vain, and that's how I feel about most of those screenshots- it's going to be a lot of effort for a marginal improvement. The other changes all sound like something I can get on board with though. I do also appreciate that they're recognizing that level design feeds into gameplay in a way that Revision's team seem to have sort of missed, so it looks better but plays the same. That said, I stand by my original statement that the graphics mods are not much of an upgrade at this point.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat you for making me want to buy the DLC for a dead franchise. Vandenberg is my favourite level from DX1 and a strong contender for my favourite level in all of gaming.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is completely backwards. Revision just changes the levels around arbitrarily and removes exploration rewards because they didn't hide things in the levels. Removing exploration rewards is a cardinal sin and a massive part of why I enjoy Deus Ex. Admittedly I only played about 1/4 of the game, but I hated every change I saw because none of the changes added anything to the gameplay. Oh look a new rooftop! Maybe I can get up there if I jump here.. and here.. and here... and yay I made it! Except there's nothing here at all. Repeat that scenario over and over. Don't even get me started about the massive locked door in UNATCO with literally nothing behind it.

Not nearly enough games give exploration rewards; and one of the things I hate about modern Deus Ex and about most major DX mods is that they give you XP for kills. The thing is though, it's not inherently harder to kill people than to not kill people, and by giving you XP they make the best way to play a murderfest. There have been attempts to not do this, like the modern games giving you ghost bonuses, but really, then you just kill people quietly and get both. You can still play sneakily or avoidantly or really any way besides total psycho, but it's discouraged. Giving exploration points, however, is a great way to encourage the player to just see all the cool poo poo you made in the game, and reinforces the idea that if you go to new places just to see what's there, there's a reason for it!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pakled posted:

Well, in HR (I haven't played MD), you do get more xp for neutralizing enemies non-lethally than killing them, although that kind of ties into another problem with it which is that between non-lethal takedowns making less noise and getting more xp, it's actually easier to non-lethally take down most enemies than to kill them.

It was an even bigger problem in HR; even when killing dudes, I would do a quiet tazer or melee takedown and then put a bullet in their unconscious form. All the XP none of the nonlethality.

Also, you got headshot bonuses that none of the ranged non-lethal weapons were eligible for, so the difference between a headshot kill and a non-leathal was only ~5xp.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

double nine posted:

Arguably low-tech weapons.

Spoken like someone who opens doors with the doorknob instead of with an energy sword. :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree with that. Hyperspecializing in swimming is a waste, but for just 600xp or whatever it is, it's some tiny amount, it's absolutely worth a single rank in swimming. There are a quite a few areas that are best accessed via water, and while you can get to all of them without taking any points in swimming because of rebreather/aqualung/regeneration, for such a small investment it's worth it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Why is Mankind Divided nearly 75gb.

Human Revolution is just under 20gb.

Textures. Everything is a blurry mess in HR despite its great art direction. Same reason GTAV is 65gb, even though they actually optimized their game- each texture is 4k, the normal map is 4k, the specular is 4k- you get the picture. Also keep in mind that a 2048 square image is like 4 million pixels; a 4096 is 16 million. Adds up fast. Same reason everyone goes "why is [game] so big" in every thread. That's why.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Spatial posted:

<Renton> I'll take the GEP gun.

The GEP Gun might be useful. They have a cleaning robot on patrol near the lobby entrance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Been a while so I can't remember if it gets more explicit, but JoJo is working with the NSF as a means to further his control at street level, and Paul is working with the local NSF.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

it wouldn't have been a bad idea. maybe they could have explained how, despite being clones, jc has been given a robot larynx while paul sounds like an actual person (jc is loving hilarious and it was perfect for the game).

so, i'm up the mj12 prison, and i'm wondering if this is the point where others give up any pretence of a non-lethal run, too. i use non-lethal on nsf and unatco types because they're both doing what can be considered right on a reasonable moral radar (although with some of the nsf taking hostages that becomes questionable), whereas i assume the mj12 troopers must have really hosed up worldviews and killing them isn't as objectionable (plus at this point non-lethal becomes harder to keep up).

It's interesting, actually, the game discusses the MJ12 trooper thing. There's a conversation in Paris where a guy gives you a code to the terminal on the streets so you can take over the bots, and his wife yells at him because it might get their son, an MJ12 trooper, killed. I don't remember the conversation line for line or anything but the impression I got is that the guys in black with the dorky helmets don't know much, but that they're also not totally ignorant either. Regardless, it's tougher to hold it against people when the DX setting has crazy high unemployment and poverty levels, very few opportunities for most people to have jobs or lives or prospects at a career, anything like that. The commandos are probably in a lot deeper, harder to justify that, but the basic grunts aren't perhaps much more culpable than the UNATCO guys; after all, they work for the same people.

Oh, and about the voice actor, there was a talk with Warren Spector and some other guys and they said that they told JC's voice actor to have a flat emotionless monotone on purpose and seriously regretted it later.

Caufman posted:

You guys killing MJ12 like you don't know 100% BLACK lives matter

I'm so glad this was what I thought it would be. That slayed me good the first time I played it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The flat delivery was mostly about showing JC's lack of emotion more than anything else, iirc. The game doesn't allude to it beyond some very small specific lines ( "You can't smile, not even for a photograph" etc ) but emotionless and unconvincing lines like "What a shame" are pretty much intentional.

It's one of the few things I think DXHR really does better than DX. I don't think Jensen is a great, well-written character per se, but the voice lines are delivered in a flat, cold way without coming across as boring, which is harder than it sounds.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing that originally sold me on shifter was that it kept my loving lasers on. Does GMDX do this? I'm going to play it anyway at some point but I want to know if I should hate it in advance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GEP gun does a good job staying useful throughout the game- it will open pretty much any door, makes all robots a non-threat, and lets you eliminate armored commandos with impunity. And as etalian says, the WP war crime rounds are hilarious and will kill many grunts in a single shot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The LAW's absurd blast radius does make it fun for trick shots though. And for opening a whole room of locked containers- looking at you, MJ12 Helipad lockers & NSF Airfield footlockers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah the addition of microtransactions in the game really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's funny, I know the game is better without them since they're effectively paid cheat codes, but my brain balks at the idea of being nickel-and-dimed anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

having written all this, a remake by a competent team would probably be really good. there's potential there, but it falls short in ways that should have been predictable at the time the decisions were made.

There are enough good ideas that you could make a game with similar themes, I think, but you'd have to change so much in a remake that you might as well just make a new game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just wish DXMD were a complete game. If they'd bothered finishing it, might have turned out as well as DXHR. What a shame.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Black Mesa mod hit its five-year anniversary a little while ago, it came out in 2012 incredibly. In the time between then and now they've still not finished Xen, and they've mostly remade their remake. There's also Black Mesa Uncut which adds back in all the cut levels from HL1 at the same quality standard as the rest of the mod, which is good.

And yes, the mod came out for free, Valve went "drat this is good, okay you can sell it," so they did.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are some weapon mods you can get from arms dealers, but that's about it. I think the last one is in Paris' intro area, and after that money becomes entirely pointless even though though the game continues to throw it at you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Doesn't he just sell you the key, or am I forgetting more?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MD just makes me so sad. The hub is one of the best-designed areas of its kind in all of gaming, most of the combat, movement, shooting, exploration, and gameplay in general is tight and fluid. And then the story and writing both completely poo poo the bed. The game wasn't completed, and what is completed is ham-fisted, both the main plot and all non-critical writing. I remains the only DX game I have not played multiple times.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, everything except "Who the gently caress is this woman and why are we talking like best friends from forever ago even though she wasn't in the last game and makes allusions to a shared history I know nothing about."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

The commentary tracks for the HR director's cut are highly revealing. All the staff are really, really intelligent and interesting. All the managers and producers are incredibly oblivious meatballs getting high on their own piss. Literally half the staff commentary nodes are "we had this great idea, but the producers either spiked it for time or else Eidos trained us to the Unreal engine which was basically incapable of anything other than a straight FPS with stealth elements, but listen, the original idea we had was really cool okay??"

While I'm not super surprised to hear that the employees are passionate and intelligent while the management is risk averse businessmen (this happens a lot) a bit confused by the latter bit. Neither game uses Unreal, and even if it did, Unreal supports a pretty staggering amount of games- including the first Deus Ex, so everything that is possible in DX1 would be possible in a DX game made in the modern Unreal engine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well it wouldn't be the first Deus Ex game to have crippled level sizes and NPC counts thanks to console hardware limitations...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Love Rat posted:

A lot of folks seized on the idea that MD is supposed to be about (and hence trivializes) Black Lives Matter and other US-centric racial issues, but I think it is actually much more about anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim xenophobia in Europe.

Not going to weigh in on the substance of this in any meaningful way, but the pre-launch advertising campaign of "Aug lives matter" makes it seem like this is indeed what either Eidos or Squarenix wanted.

I will absolutely weigh in on the setting of the games though. DX1 felt far and away the most plausible simply because when you came across weird technology stuff or odd iconography (the giant MJ12 hand, anyone?) it did really feel weird and out of place- mostly because the world of DX1 is very grounded in reality. Not only does this make the game feel more relateable, but I think it's probably realistic too. People aren't going to suddenly demolish entire cities and rebuild them in a decade or two, and most new construction is architecturally conservative. We see outliers like Dubai where this does happen, but for the most part cities tend to keep looking the same with small changes over time because it's practical.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd love to see a game with the amount of playstyle approaches as MD but with weaker graphics, more hubs and a more freeform story. Give me an 0451 game crossed with something batshit let me eye divine cybermancy.

I really really hope that Prey wasn't the death knell for Arkane, esp. now that Colantonio is gone. An Arkane take on DX would be sublime.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Honestly I just respect how dedicated the dude is to making them. I would make one, maybe two, and then move on with my life. I don't think this guy is going to stop until every action movie has received the treatment.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I just got back from the Swiss alps mission.From that mission on, this game just feels unfinished. I mean, that Alps mission sucked, but it also felt like it was supposed to be where a lot of stuff is revealed, but all of the info is frontloaded in Marchenko's muffled dialogue, then its a big open room, and then a helipad. And then you're forty minutes from the end of the game.

You mean like the last third to half of the game was missing, meant as some kind of sequel you mean?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

More than anything I think JC's ability to actually use guns that don't suck is why he's better, has less to do with his augs. The rifle and MP always felt really weak in the new DX games, pistol was good, but only because of the special shoot-through-armor thing it got, sniper was nice but loving gigantic and starved for ammo.

Then JC can just tape down the trigger on the bullpup and empty a room full of guys, remembers that pistol headshots are a lethal takedown, and the sniper can blow up robots and open doors, the GEP gun is one of the best weapons in any game period, the flamethrower is downright broken, and the plasma rifle is absurdly good for the time in the game you get it, assuming you fix the damage bug.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah it's the Malkavian mod. Worth playing though, it's not long but there is a lot that video doesn't show off.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Electronic old men” basically sums up the SA forums to be honest

It's probably for the best that we won't be running the world... within the week.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It really says something about the mod that the first level is so offputting even Deux Ex players can't handle it.

I've had the same experience as the others who heard it was great, booted it up, and never made it past the first area.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you gave Simons time to juice up, he would have used that Shield aug that blows up explosives. Sounds like you tagged him before he got a chance

Yeah, he does exactly that, in fact. Aggressive Defense should shoot down incoming GEP rounds, so you have to be either really close or shoot him before he has it up. Never been able to use plasma on him either, he's got energy shield.

I do also really love that about the 'bosses' in the game though, they're not really that much tougher than a normal enemy, they just have more tools. Anna and Gunther are the same way. It's a part of the same design philsophy that says when you shoot someone in the head with a pistol they should die; unless they're wearing a helmet, then it takes two hits. Improving your skills with guns just makes you more accurate, and I like that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Erotic Wakes posted:

The bosses in the original game always felt like more of a consequence of the engine than anything else, considering that the final boss is an invincible puzzle boss nestled in a sprawling maze of infinitely-respawning enemies and the game also ends with you hitting one of three buttons just like Human Revolution is criticized for.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that it's not the engine, since it's Unreal Engine and Unreal had very traditional-style boss fights in it, and a robust trigger system.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

With sabot ammo you also take every robot enemy too. And modding 90-100 accuracy on the sawn off is, uh. Not how shotguns work IRL, but I'm glad thats how it works in DX.

It's a really, really, aggressive choke! You, uh, pretty much just unsaw-off the shotgun.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was never a fan of that. It really encourages you to kill as many people as you can for XP reasons, which feels wrong in DX. That's one of the things I never liked about the new series of games either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The whole point of game mechanics, and especially XP rewards is to incentivize the player to do the sorts of things you really want your game to be about. These are how you steer the player without being heavy-handed or restrictive about it. Think about exploration bonuses in every DX game, for example. When you go somewhere and get a bonus for exploring, it's a subtle message that tells you that being thoughtful, learning the area, and planning your approach are worthwhile.

This is why I don't like that Shifter and New Deus Ex give rewards for killing. If you're going down that route of play, the kill is its own reward, i.e. the enemy is no longer stopping you from doing whatever it is that you wanted to do. It's the same reason that lockpicking and control panels don't give you rewards for cracking them open. Giving XP primarily for task completion without breadcrumbing the player there with XP reinforces the idea that you should get as creative as you want and complete the game in as interesting or boring a way as you want. Most of the rest of the XP you get is for exploration or seeing more of the world, which doesn't favor any particular playstyle beyond "See as much of the world as you can," and that's a hallmark trait of a good DX game.

So sure, you can say "Oh just totally ignore the XP reward for killing, anyone who plays the way the game rewards them the most must be a filthy minmaxer" but honestly anyone who plays DX does so because they like good game design, and rewarding the player for certain valid playstyles but not other is not terribly great game design. The smooth operator and ghost bonuses in DXHR and sneaking bonus in shifter are both trying to compensate for this, but both miss the point badly. For DXHR, you're still getting encouraged to take combat instead of dialogue paths, and it's trivial to get both the sneaking bonuses as well as killing most of the people while moving through a level. In Shifter, the sneak bonus scales with how close you get to people without alerting them, which is insane, half the point of being good at sneaking is planning well enough to not have to be that close. I guess I'm curious to hear anyone argue in favor of having kills (or lockpicking, etc) reward XP rather than not in the kind of game DX wants to be. What's the appeal?