Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Loving reading this thread, always makes me want to play more Deus Ex. Shifter Mod is my next challenge.

However, my current challenge is the Nameless Mod and the ShadowCode area: I've made it to the final server but can't figure out what to do with this puzzle - clicking on the wiry looking squares gives me a beep, while the plain squares do nothing. Clicking and dragging do nothing to any sort of tile, including the green one, while pressing directions on the keypad make the sound of flicking through emails.

Any ideas? What am I meant to do with this puzzle? I'm running vanilla Deus Ex from Steam with nothing but TNM.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm stupid.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

So this is my first time playing through Deus Ex and I've had no problems beating the Statue of Liberty level at all. In fact I thought it was kinda easy, I was expecting something brutally difficult after all these years of hearing about this level. Where does everyone get "stuck" anyway?

I don't think it's so much that they get stuck, but that instead of being a FPS badass like in the first level of lots of FPSes, you're more of a level 1 RPG character - low or no skills, lack of options, the whole lot. And remember, this game came out back in 2000 - FPSes were a lot more visceral then.

If you try and play it like a traditional FPS (run around, shoot everything) it can be slow and frustrating. The disconnect between how Deus Ex plays compared to everything else is what gets people, I think. Of course, once you've finished the island level you've learnt more about the way the game works and things just pick up from there.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

Everyone keeps talking about which ending they picked on their first run. Did no one else clear out the entire level and create a save file that only needs a single action to complete each ending?

I certainly did this, but I guess others have too and we're just talking about a 'preferred' ending (maybe?).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

RichieWolk posted:

If you go in the very first vent in the very first area in the game, there is an "adventurer's trap", a small pit that is just barely taller than the player can jump. It has a grate overlooking the basement, so it absolutely looks like you should be able to open it, or destroy it, or SOMETHING, but no. You get stuck and can't get back out without something to make you jump higher.

Do you have Biomod installed? I believe that makes your jump height a smidge shorter than default. I don't have Biomod installed and never got stuck in the grate you mentioned. Took more than one attempt to jump out, but it certainly wasn't impossible.

And yeah, count me in with saying that TNM sucks early, then improves. It never gets better than "good for a mod" but considering it's size and the lack of Deus Ex mods it's admirable.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I thought the whole point of closing the thread was to not have DX:HR discussion in here :psyduck:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Not so much a piracy check as an early pirated version of the game was bugged so you couldn't get past there.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Little Blue Couch posted:

I think that the idea of Jay-Z Denton is funny but these videos are not funny. This is what I think.

That one wasn't very good - the "Jay-Z is an rear end in a top hat" videos are much better, probably because they're all very short bits.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some doors have a Strength listed, which implies that I can break them down and not waste precious lockpicks, but how can I break a door down?

Just to make things clearer, you can attack doors like crates or any other breakable objects, but the higher level strengths require explosives or high damage weapons.

Always great to see someone playing Deus Ex for the first time - how spoiled are you?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Haven't watched it personally, but there's a Deus Ex LP on the archive: http://lparchive.org/Deus-Ex/

I thought GetWellGamers had completed his Deus Ex screenshot playthrough, but I guess not? Or did it not get archived?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anyone have the sound skipping issue with Nihilum where voiced sentences cut off early? I don't have that issue with vanilla Deus Ex, so I'm quite confused about why it's happening.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

StickySweater posted:

It's definitely worth using, though it's still a 14 year old game. It does improve the visuals objectively. There's some other visual mods too, but I don't have much experience with them.

This video shows off some of what you can expect from a fully modded out game. Links are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhaJN_mbnQA

With the mods installed his HUD looks all messed up. Somebody asked about it in the comments but got no response:

Has he stuffed something up with the install or is it just minimalism taken too far?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Who needs protein bars when you've got fresh jams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

:slick:

Talking 'bout the drink, right? Eh heh heh heh.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We're through the looking glass here people.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Is there a way with Deus Ex Revision to get back to the renderer selection? I selected DX10 but now I hear that it causes issues, and I think it might be why Simons and Page are rocking awesome shades in the intro: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=535959803

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Yep. Settings > display.

Awesome, thanks!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Popelmon posted:

the unified ammo that much, it's better than cluttering up your inventory with 10 different ammo types (looking at you here HR).

It's amazing how the inventory in the series has gotten worse with each game. DX 1? Ammo is stored elsewhere, don't worry about it - just worry about how much you have.

DX 2? Unified ammo means you can fire your pistol 50 times or a rocket launcher once, then back to scrounging!

DX HR? Ammo now exists in your inventory, meaning there's even less incentive to use that rocket launcher as the weapon and a box of rockets will take up half your inventory! :haw:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maybe it's because I'm a hoarder in videogames but it still felt like not enough, even at max.

The giant energy jars didn't help.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

You don't actually need ... three different kinds of beer

You lost me here

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Put me down as another punter who can look past Nameless' (many) flaws. It's more Deus Ex at the end of the day, which is something I'm always crying out for.

I'm having a second go at Revision with all the updates as well. I bounced off it the first time but will try and be more patient with its changes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That attention to detail probably bogged down their release timelines and contributed to future games getting canned but I loved it, dammit

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

No kidding. Now any plans for the sequel have been shelved. It was a good series. What a rotten way to die.

Yeah, RIP

Seriously Mankind Divided was more HR and I really enjoyed it. The lack of an ending is of course disappointing but I can only blame the publisher for that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Karpaw posted:

DX deserves all the praise for how ahead of its time the storytelling was. What other game of that day can you imagine dropping a casual reference to the Unabomber using his real name and simply expecting the player to pick up on it?

What was this reference?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:aaa:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MGS Peace Walker and 5 let you hold up guys. They'd lay down with their hands behind their heads... and not move for the rest of the mission.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Maybe it was the French-Canadian accents but I can't fault the HR devs. That commentary was adorable :allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neurosis posted:

A reason I didn't like it in addition to it being something never really mentioned in DX (and really the prequels in general feel ike they're set in a different world), I didn't like it because it seemed like a lazy cut-and-paste from real world experiences. Augs are fundamentally different to a racial, class or religious group targeted in the past - they did, in recent memory, go nuts and attack people; most of them were at some point fully human; many are in some way functionally superior to humans; they are economically valuable as tools... There's a lot there that makes it so that while there might be some similarities to historical persecution, there would be some distinctive elements making this time different. If the writers were good and especially if they were good sci fi writers, these things would have been explored.

They tried to do this with the economical slant - that lower class workers needed to get expensive augs just to "keep up". It wasn't dwelt on enough I think.

That's the difference between something like X-Men mutants being prejudiced against (it's just the lottery of how and where you were born, just like race) and augmentation (while you can be forced it is on some level still a conscious choice)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

No literally all tranq darts have been given the effect of flare darts instead. You don't get flare darts in the first level, even in Biomod.

e; the kicker is, they do so little damage on a bodyshot they don't kill, so you can finish with the baton for a nonlethal kill, or else smack them while they're burning if you headshot them and as long as they take a nap it's technically "nonlethal"

"He was unconscious when I left him, officer"

"...And also on fire"

"Yes, but his status window said..."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I used to smash through games with the sound off, listening to music, but Deus Ex was one of the games to shake me out of that. There was always so much incidental audio, and the atmospheric tracks made the experience all the better.

HR and MD got that mood right with the music, I feel.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm very time poor but somehow I've replayed HR 3 times - it's just that good.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

toiletbrush posted:

Does anyone know any more chilled and non-shouty/YouTube-voice let's plays of Deus Ex? I'm having trouble sleeping lately and I've exhausted my usual vids (snooker, mainly)

Goon Bobbin Threadbare's got a pretty chillaxed attitude for it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ITwTJXpOc

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think giving people the option to power-game and optimise is all good, as long as those unwilling to do so can still get through the game.

Since DX:HR has a lot of lovely mods and lots of XP regardless of how you take people down, I think it achieves this nicely.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The Namir fight was the best because of how many people accidentally stumbled upon the one-punch KO cheese method and had no idea what the gently caress just happened.

I take that bug as canon, like when you get through all the grunts turns out the big bad is just a weenie directing traffic

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Trained in swimming is legit when you look at cost vs benefit, it makes navigating a good amount of areas much more painless

Anything higher than that is redundant and occasional longer forays into the depths can be dealt with via health regen

I place a high premium on any skills in games like this that improve your map traversal capabilities. Obviously the most valuable are ones that open up otherwise inaccessible routes but after that anything that makes movement easier is worth it over the course of however many hours you'll spend navigating the game.

Half the skills in the game are negated by regen. Environmental resistance? Regen. Drowning? Regen. Jumping from a large height? Regen.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

infernal machines posted:

That said, the first level is weirdly hard to get into again. Something about large open spaces and the weirdly opaque stealth mechanism, I haven't got the feel for it yet.

All stealth games need an MGS style soliton radar or the visibility indicator for my money. I prefer to know if I can be seen or not.

Would a biomod for a radar have been a good idea? If you got it too late in the game it'd probably be too late as you'd be a murdergod by then anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Going through my backlog I saw I'd never played Deus Ex: The Fall and since I loved the new games far too much I thought I'd give it a go.

Gotta tell you, it hooked me just like HR did. Although I did make the title a bit too literal when I managed to fall through the world looking at a pocket secretary all along.

It had all the bits I'd loved, talking to people, hacking, multiple routes... It even culminated in a big boss fight which I was able to whoop due to my high level.

Then it ended... :doh:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

brap posted:

Ugh suddenly I remember how annoying it was in MD to have to spend bioenergy to do a stealth takedown.

It's a one hit kill button, gotta balance it out somehow

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Four-Eyes posted:

Pft, reloading. I punched that dude and everyone else in there.

:patriot: gently caress da police

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t they drop most of the forum injoke stuff in the first level or two? I still haven’t gotten around to playing it because, well, forum in jokes, but I do intend to play it at some point. I heard the level/quest design is shockingly good.

The major factions are still forums groups, including the goat cult or whatever? The injokes never really go all the way away.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Diggus Bickus posted:

OK time to start making excuses providing development updates!

Posts like these rule and what you're doing is amazing

Shumagorath posted:

Can anyone tell me where I've ended up?

It's been too long since I've played MD so I don't remember where you are but nice find!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

This is where I usually pop to go "the way commentary is implemented in this game is terrible, just watch it on youtube after completing each level", but I can't seem to find a commentary compilation at the moment.

Hard agree. The lack of "played" nodes is just :psyduck:

https://youtu.be/AhXoYgB7rPU