Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fishylungs posted:

I'm still completely bummed that they're getting rid of Chowder. It, Flapjack, and Adventure Time would be a great block of shows.

The movie Ultimate Avengers. There's a sequel to it too, I haven't seen either of them so either someone here or in the BSS cartoon thread could tell you if they're good or not.

The first one, at least, is never offensively bad. It's just unsubtle and bland. Some of that is due to the simple fact that 75 minutes is not long enough for most of these features. They need the extra 10-20 minutes to really let the characters breathe. The rest is due to weak scripting, and a willful need to spell things out that don't need to be told, because they're shown.

Basically, if you can find it for under :10bux: and you have a free Sunday, there's worse ways to spend an hour. But there's much better too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Rita and Runt used to be my favorite segment but I haven't seen it in years, if it hasn't aged well then that's truly a shame. Having seen bits and pieces of the show recently though I'd like to believe that more of it held up than what you said as what I saw was still pretty good.

edit: Oh wait, never mind, that was Slappy the Squirrel.

See, Slappy and R&R were my two favourites. I love musicals, so Rita & Runt was always fun, but it's not intended to be straight gag shorts, so that might rub some people the wrong way. (And Pinky & The Brain did The Third Man and the Warners did Apocalypse now, so it's not like the only references that went over kids' heads were in those kind of segments.)

I also love Chicken Boo now. It's a one-gag character, but it's done perfectly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dipping in here to say I liked the DuckTales trailer also and think Tennant sounds great, though it's always going to be odd to hear an actual Scot having to battle with how far to throttle his accent up to work for the role.

Haven't seen anyone so far praising Kate Micucci as Webby, who I thought was the other standout in the clips in that trailer. I like the angle of her being a total wannabe-adventurer/Scrooge fangirl.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Aren't a bunch of people from Gravity Falls working on DuckTales, actually?

I haven't seen much of Falls, but I thought Micucci was one of the highlights of the trailer. Her and Launchpad seem like they've been nailed out of the gate. I loved how big she went with the delivery, precisely because it's not what you'd expect from her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

You can't really tell much of a difference but apparently in this series Donald is now voiced by Daniel Ross (who also currently voices him in a show called Mickey and the Roadster Racers) rather than Tony Anselmo. Not entirely sure why, unless Anselmo is planning on retiring or is unable to do the voice for some reason.

All I care about is that I've watched the DuckTales spot like 5 times now and I giggle every time Donald gets stuck in that hole in the money bin wall while ranting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seen above: Footage of famed explorer Donald Duck shortly before his recent tragic killing spree

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

okay 3 2 1 let's jam

[TMNT!]

I thought this was a stretch until the horns started and jesus, they're not even being subtle about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I am pretty stoked for the new Ducktales, though my excitement has flagged just the tiniest bit upon learning Alex Hirsch won't be showrunner.

Launchpad's "Oh no the ground" in the trailer kills me every time.

It's the Launchpaddiest thing he could say, it's not enough to not see a building, no, as soon as he looks away from the windscreen, the plane goes into a nosedive.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

He sounds like Donald Duck all mixed up, like I should be playing the video in reverse to decode hidden messages.

H... how does Japanese Goofy still have the hick accent? Surely he should be from Kansai or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know the Avatar comparisons with Voltron are pretty common, but they just straight up put Ty Lee into this season, didn't they?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaunab posted:

CN has brought back the original Teen Titans. They're airing it in the mornings at 6 and 6:30

That's gotta confuse kids who're only familiar with TTG.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Well it looks and sounds basically the same (all the old voice actors are back and sound exactly the same as they did in the 90s) and the preview looked ok at least. It might fall apart later on but right now I'm cautiously optimistic about it so far.

Rocko being confused by smartphones is about what I'd expect the show to be in 2017, so the fact that the preview is exactly that bodes well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This thing of them airing a premier 'movie' about 6 weeks before the actual season starts is a thing for them, though. The Tangled show did the same thing, didn't it? And I think they've said the Big Hero 6 one will as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, like, WRT to Duck tales The implication is Della died on the Spear of Selene adventure right? That's why Donald/Beaksly are so protective, and all that.

I think Mrs Beakley is just protective for normal reasons, given how she was immediately happy for Webby to hang out with the boys and adventure as long as Scrooge is there to help. But yeah, the spoiler is clearly why Donald's so careful and why he and Scrooge fell out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Mickey is literally the logo, so they're super-scared of doing anything that might dilute or damage the #brand. They only recently allowed him to be kind of a dick in the short cartoons again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I always bring this up, but that part of Maza's heritage came about because of the casting. She was originally supposed to be Latina (her original name and design ended up being used for the police captain, I think) but when they cast Salli Richardson, who is part African-American and part Native-American, they just made the character match her ethnicity more closely.

And on the sci-fi weapon thing, I always liked how reasonable Gargoyles was with those. They had laser weapons, but the visible beam was supposed to be an aiming guide, like real laser sights, and the actual deadly component was an invisible particle beam.

Larryb posted:

True, I'm actually surprised how much they were able to get away with on Korra (and ATLA to a lesser extent), maybe the fact that half the series wasn't aired on TV thanks to meddling from Nick had something to do with it. And that's not even going into other stuff like Bloodbending, Zuko getting half his face burned off, and Korra being literally tortured.

Bloodbending was one of those things people joked about being a thing that you could do but that the show would never allow and then... they just had it be the focus of multiple episodes, nbd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

One of my favorite bits about it's aftermath is how it changes Broadway's media preferences, he first likes Westerns, but after that episode his preference switches over to Detective stories where the heroes use their brains and fists to solve their problems instead of guns

Really though anyone here who hasn't seen Gargoyles yet(or at the least hasn't seen in the approximately 15 years or so since the last time it reran on TV anywhere) should go buy the three DVD sets for the show's first two seasons* on Amazon as you can get the three of them for about 30 bucks or so, and it's still one of the best action cartoons of all time

*the third season has never been released on DVD, but except for it's first episode isn't considered canon anyways

I also really like how it actively affected future stories. There's one where, I believe, Demona is only able to hurt Eliza because the latter can't get to her gun... because she now puts it in a lockbox like you're supposed to instead of leaving it hanging in the holster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh. MST3K had a Christmas special in March.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rescue Bots also has the odd distinction of being the longest running show in the franchise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

in terms of a single series, I guess it does.

in terms of stories that directly continue into each other, the Japanese version of the G1 cartoon and it's, uh, four spinoffs eclipse it by a bit, as does the Unicron Trilogy, which all had over 52 episodes.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I always laugh when people try to include Masterforce in the 'main' continuity, because it's so clearly an unrelated kids-pilot-mecha anime that they slapped the brand on to at the last minute.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mycot posted:

Wait. Is there some kind of cliche that I'm not aware of that would allow you to predict that specific thing with total accuracy?

It is TYOOL Two Thousand And Seventeen, and people in charge of IPs have realised that not all of the people purchasing products are white/straight/cis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

If you keep the Warners, Pinky and the Brain, Slappy Squirrel, and retire some of the old recurring bits you can make new recurring bits that would be fine in a relaunch.

Keep Chicken Boo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Hell no, that got massively overused

I laughed every time. Probably more the more they used it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Slappy was great. I actually liked her shorts probably the most of all the segments. Yes, including Pinky & The Brain and the Warners.

kefkafloyd posted:

Rita and Runt

So you wanna ditch one of the more fun bits but keep poo poo like the kid who told rambling stories about his buddy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Ah, I haven't seen all of Animanics so I wasn't sure. Nice to know that even the producers realized she was a terrible idea though.

I think it was less that, and more that broadcast standards and practices basically told them to quit it because of the level of innuendo and sexuality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not really. The Titans show ripped pretty wholesale from the early Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans comics, with stuff like the Terra and Trigon arcs, albeit toned down a bit for kids and with adjustments made to account for the reduced cast and lack of clearance for the adult heroes to appear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The move to opposite Cosby is also why Dr Hibbert started being a more direct Cosby parody, with the sweaters and the vaguely Phyllicia Rashad-ish wife.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh for gently caress's sake, Startoons. You're sexualising BABS?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The ultimate opposite to Cruella is obviously Elsa, a villain that even the studio realised was so sympathetic they basically rewrote the movie to make her the protagonist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Close but not quite right: seasons 2 and 3 were one big season in production, as are seasons 4 and 5

Season 2/3 was 19 episodes? That's a very weird number. It's way more likely that they split what had been standard 13 episode seasons in half, so 3/4 was one set and 5/6 was another.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arist posted:

Spider-Gwen was never her actual superhero name though, just the name of her book (as well as how most readers referred to her).

And it's still dumb. They didn't rename Captain America's book to Bucky-Cap when he was holding the shield, even though that's what everyone online called him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I can't speak for MLP but Steven Universe sure gets just absolutely dogshit merch and it's kind of baffling. It's either really ugly and half assed or loving Pop figures.

Or like these what the gently caress are these:

Honestly, Greg, Steven and Amethyst kinda work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminded how Star Vs had a character (a Weird Al cameo, naturally) who is a stage magician with magical powers, but he doesn't use his magic for his stage shows, which appear to be mundane sleight of hand, while his powers act differently.

Oh, that's a classic comic book idea. Zatanna in the DCU does the same thing, she can do real magic, but her stage show is normal smoke and mirrors stuff. I like it, because the idea is that it's easy to impress people by casting real spells, but it's harder to make it look like you're doing that with mundane stagecraft.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

And don't forget cartoon adaptations of R rated movies.

The Conan one wasn't bad, once you accept the goofiness of "Conan wins fights by vaguely waving his magic sword near the baddies".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

You do a diservice by not mentioning The opening

How does Hasbro own this?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.cbr.com/she-ra-reboot-first-look-voice-cast/

Not entirely clear what vein this is going in, but Noelle Stevenson has a pretty strong handle on how to do fun all-ages adventure without going too hard into the comedy to the point where there's no stakes to the actual plot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wanted the Centurions toys so bad I used to use Lego to homebrew my own ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It took me an embarassingly long time to realise that part of the reason the new show is called She-Ra & The Princesses of Power is to mirror the franchise's origins: He-Man & The Masters of the Universe.

Mermista and Scorpia are the best. Also Swift Wind.

As someone who grew up watching a VHS tape of the original She-Ra pilot movie until it started to wear out, I enjoyed all the little nods. Plus there's what seem like a bunch of little trap-doors where things can either just be cute references or can be expanded into lore stuff if they're allowed to delve further into the franchise's toybox. Like Light Hope's avatar being vaguely Sorceress-inspired. Could just be a neat little homage, or could be used to foreshadow that, say, it's based on it's programmer who has a familiar bird-like motif. I do kind of miss the Crystal Castle being just a ridonkulous fantasy palace without doors.

And yeah, OG She-Ra makes silver age Superman look like a one-trick pony. Standards and Practices being so against her using the sword for sword things, and against punching because *gasp* girls don't FIGHT! meant that the sword basically turned into any tool she needed. She could talk to basically any animal. Had empathic and telepathic powers, the healing hands of a D&D paladin. By contrast, He-Man was A Dude Who's Pretty Strong. And that was about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
(ep 8) I'm actually not sure why she couldn't be She-Ra at the prom, actually. She's repeatedly shown to not actually need to have the sword on her person once she's changed. Surely she could "For the honor of Grayskull!" at the coatcheck and then be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It took me a few minutes to realise that wasn’t Diedrich Bader.

Does no-one remember the incredibly bad twitter shitstorm when the young actress playing Kim was revealed?

Did they do the *gasp* unthinkable and cast a 16 year old to play the 16 year old?