Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never had a bad cartoon series. The 86 show, the 03 show, the '12 dhow, and the '18 show were all good.

I just realized that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is this when I link my Avatar Fate Core hack with the over developed setting guide with future settings and what if scenarios?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d9ldvcV1SvXvW0XB4TsBus9JKxRa7WqCP6UMxEpOMfs/edit?usp=drivesdk

Covok
May 27, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel like i should watch amphibia

You should. It's real good.

Also MarcyxAnne looks promising.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, YBOS, pretty good but a little rushed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh no.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

I'm out of touch with kids animation, is there anything that's a good spiritual successor to Gravity Falls or Over the Garden Wall?

Yes, The Owl House, Infinity Train, and Amphibia.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, watch Ducktales. It's loving great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Amphibia is kind of going the Steven Universe route whereas Owl House is more Gravity Falls. Amphibia has those 11 minute episodes with plenty of "townie" episodes with a first season that doesn't openly acknowledge the main plot till the finale. Amphibia shorter episodes let it cover ground faster and helps it deliver humour. You can tell more stories per season in the format. If an episode is filler, you always have the next one to advance the plot. Shorter episodes also require faster and punchier writing, which lends itself better to writting jokes. Less air time also helps jokes land as they clump closer together and keep you warmed up. And, if they want to tell a bigger story, they just make it a two parter.

The Owl House does 23 minute episodes with a lot more plot advancement and status quo change in season one and the mysterys are constantly hinted at. This works better for intrigue. The constant allusions to greater depth will intice watchers. The longer episodes with a weekly format makes filler both a relief from the plot and intice people for the next plot episode.

Also, I am fine with the Owl House going all magic school. They were hinting at it from episode 1 with Luz wanting to be a Witch. That was her main character drive and that leading to a Hogwarts parody school seems inevitable. It wasn’t something I knew for a fact but it coming up didn't suprise me. The Owl House is for kids who grew up in the 00s reading Harry Potter and wanting more (and more gay ) stories like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Honestly, Anne relationship with the Planters is so cute and wholesome and I love it. As Marcey put it, "I love the found family trope."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

i haven't seen family guy recently, but i'm talking about the one that used to appear with tom tucker in the early seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRpmR52nrM

now compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFlrKFwALY&t=11s

That was Ms. Puff. They said Pearl. This is Pearl.

https://youtu.be/ne2IyuZ13oY

Covok
May 27, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1305536791156387840

Apparently the only major difference from the previous shorts is that they're Disney+ exclusive (also I heard somewhere that the shorts are gonna be 7 minutes instead of 3.5 but I haven't seen something official say that yet so that might just be some rumor)

Goofy in those shorts is the most scraggy looking gently caress. The shorts are pretty fun so more is good. I hope they're less disappointing than the recent Loony Tunes shorts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto the two parter in Korra with the First Avatar and it seems to completely retcon where bending comes from. The Last Airbender says that it came when the first human benders observed the movements of the animals who'd evolved to use them (Namely the seaserpents, dragons, badgermoles and flying bisons) and figured out how to manipulate them that way, while Korra shows the first Avatar getting it given to him by a Lion Turtle.

OK got a bit further in, he at least learned to better control the fire via a dragon, I guess the Lion Turtle just allowed his bloodline to bend fire generally, and his descendants learned from the dragons later how to refine it.

Thank you!

The Lion Turtles gave the power, but the bending arts were learned by observing animals. Unless you think those people hurling fireballs like rocks were anything close to using a martial art.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I will never know if this ironic or completely unironic. I never wish to know or else the magic is lost.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Master Shake is all I hear.

Covok
May 27, 2013

True Colors dropped on iTunes. However, this is a mistake and the showrunner is begging people to not watch it there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it unfinished, bad quality, or are they planning an event of some kind around it?

I don't know.

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388777744079540224?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Okay, yeah I just saw it. I won't spoil poo poo but I know exactly why they delayed it and what they're probably thinking of changing, if the theory is right. And if they do change that part, that will be horribly disappointing, even if it was always a fakeout.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/KassandraHeller/status/1388881300413550593

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1388882772954030083

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1388885135538278407

Yeah, Disney has kind of pissed off their entire creative staff with this move. Other showruners are publicly commenting on the issue now too. Either they go after the showruners, which would be terrible since it would hurt a bunch of great shows, or the head of scheduling is in trouble at Disney channel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

So don't expect Owl House s2 any time soon?

Depends on if the head of Disney Channel Scheduling has a lot of friends up the chain or is a failson of someone powerful in the company.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

You don't think the suits wouldn't throw their (now actively revolting) creative staff under the bus to save one of their own?

They can, but they'll have to go out and get new talent, start over, etc. It will be costly and suits are all about cost efficient. The fact the iTunes release of True Colors is currently the top selling episode of a TV Show on iTunes right now is something to mention. Plus, as Infinity Train guy points out, Matt could always go somewhere else, take his ball and leave, start over, and his fans will come with him. If they try to give Amphibia to someone new, or Owl House, there is no guarantee fans will stick with it. The suits will certainly think it will, though, so I can imagine them still screwing over the creative staff and then diverting blame when the numbers aren't there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that's what I mean: the suits might, but it's such a mess that I do think the scheduling guy is in more trouble than anything else. Starting over is expensive and changing production leads when the show is going good is generally avoided at all costs. Pulling an episode right before it airs is very unusual and, if its for content, then said content was already approved multiple times before it hit the scheduling block. Animation -- show production in general -- is a long process and this episode and its script was likely approved multiple times before they scheduled it. Maybe someone up the chain never bothered to watch the finished product and went off the script? Assumed it was going to look different? Still, a big mess-up for whoever pulled it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I usually watch this on Disney Now, anyway, so I personally didn't feel morally bad watching it on iTunes. At least I'm paying them money now, instead of getting by with a free service offered by my cable company. Glad I did too because, right after, I saw a spoiler on twitter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nokiddin posted:

It isn't on itunes anymore.

Probably part of the reason Matt Braly posted that "I made a joke do it's all cool now" comment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1388928337083461632?s=20

I think this leak is really getting to the crew. drat. I already hate Disney for being an evil megacorp that destroys creative freedom and grounds enuthasim into profit and tears, but now I am even more mad at Disney.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I went back to Amphibia Season one, and it turns out Anne's eyes glow blue for a split-second when she's grappling with the Mantis in Anne or Beast. Neat detail!

Yeah, I remember seeing that back in the day and thinking there were going to do something with it, especially when she was suddenly weaker than most of the big bugs. Well, now we know.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Omi and Ping Pong were straight up racist. I mean, come on. That poo poo is bad. Decent show, though. R he original, not the seqeul.

Danny Phantom needs a reboot that has an explicit no Butch rule. Also, Danny should be trans masc, if only because so many fans latched on to that and it be cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Wait what.

Maybe it's that I am trans and swim in trans circles, but I see that take fairly often when Danny Phantom is brought up.

DoctorWhat posted:

animated is good but it didn't get a real ending.

There is that fan comic from Botcon though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1393596755795615747?s=20

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1393596756760223746?s=20

There were no edits. So what the gently caress happened?

Edit: "ultimately made." Oh, so there were proposed edits.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 15, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

Only having one shoe will gently caress up your posture.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Has Clark Kent ever been interesting?

Always has been. And I am tired of pretending he isn't, or however that meme goes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

"Let have the person whose people were genocided by a nation fall in love with and marry the prince of said nation" is a bit problematic, even if he is a reformer. Friendship? Sure, but full-on marriage makes it weird.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My friend shipped Toang.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Didn’t they only start building up the Korra/Asami relationship around Season 3 or so?

Off the subject, are any of the Avatar/Korra comics worth reading? Same question regarding the Kyoshi novel for that matter.

LoK comics are...well, they're worse than the mainline Avatar comics. I read every Avatar comic and some are fun, but LoK has had a bad run.

Turf Wars is kind of bland. It's only worth it to see Korra and Asami kiss.

Ruins Of The Empire is actual nazi apologia. Like, if you see Kuvira as hitler, then her redemption arc is going to make you puke. Did you know she didn't know about the ethnic cleasning camps that the show hinted at and the comics called "inhumane prison camps," and that it was all the work of her underlings without her knowledge? You know, an actual lie about Nazis that apologists use?

The Kyoshi novels, on the other hand, are wonderful. Both of them are actually great. Tons of gay energy, for those curious. Good worldbuilding, fun characters, interesting conflict, and a great character study on Kyoshi that fans need to read to see the real her. That said, I find it funny how every Earthbending avatar in fanfics are victims of identity theft and then the Kyoshi novel actually does that! Someone did some research on Ao3.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Speaking as someone who wrote Tyzula fanfiction before, the trick is usually to set it in an alternate universe so you can downplay the obvious toxic poo poo under the excuse it's not the canon timeline. Because their personalities can be cute together, if you downplay/remove how Azula is mentally abused by her father and raised to be an abuser of others.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 25, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

CW PPG Script confirmed real

https://twitter.com/fawfulator/status/1397229193440727044

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, did y'all sleep Kid Cosmic And The Rings Of Power? I did and I regret it. It's super good so far. I just finished episode 4. The dead alien jokes took me by surprise. If you peeps haven't been watching it and you got NETFLIX, watch it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh my god. Just finished Kid Cosmic. So looking forward to season 2. Rosa killed over 100 people. Totes recommend!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait is that little face girl voiced by Dana Terrace?

Covok
May 27, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

She's literally Dana's self-insert. It's literally a caricature of her own face with a pair of comically tiny arms and legs slapped on.

We got one now for Alex Hirsh and Dana. Matt Braly getting in on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Are we sure she's actually been gone for some amount of time in her world yet though?

Digimon Adventure did tine dilation to get around that issue.