Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched the series finale of Pokemon last night, which was honestly so crazy and took such wild swings it is difficult to process.

I'm spoilering but it is a few weeks old and takes place after the main plot of the series with little bearing on it.

Ash gets a call from his mom asking if he is on his way to some city. He replies yes and she says great, she is meeting his Dad there and they'll get to spend some time together as a family. Ash is psyched and says he hasn't seen his dad in years.

On the way there he goes through a cave and sleeps under a tree, Team Rocket steals Pikachu while he is asleep. He meets a kid named Sunny who says he saw where Pikachu went and leads him to Team Rocket. Ash easily frees Pikachu and defeats Team Rocket. Then he finds out the kid has never touched a Pokemon before. So he spends the whole day teaching the kid about Pokemon and playing in the forest with him and Pokemon so he gets comfortable with the idea of touching one.

Ash gets super hungry and the kid says he knows where a bunch of berries grow. He leads Ash to a grove with tons of berries. Ash starts picking them and sees he is on someone's property. Sunny points out some paintings a man is making in a sunroom and how this one painting of clouds is his favorite. A woman spots Ash and Sunny is just gone gone. She is surprised to see him there and he apologizes for trespassing. A man is there and pretty angry to see him. The wife apologizes and says her husband is just not a people person but gives Ash some bread and a package of berries to enjoy.

Ash eats it and finds Sunny again and offers to share it but Sunny isn't hungry. Sunny asks if Ash can help him get his hat back. A Mankey stole it. This happened to Ash a long time ago and he helps get the hat back, in the process saving the Mankey from a fall. The Mankey is sad about Ash taking the hat so Ash gives it his own. He follows Sunny and winds up at the grove again. The couple are there and shocked to see the hat and the man demands to know where Ash got it. Ash explains he got it from a Mankey and it belongs to Sunny. The man calls Ash a liar and gets angry. Sunny was his son and loved Pokemon but died over a year ago after becoming very ill. Ash points out what Sunny's favorite painting is and they believe him. The man vows to continue painting things Sunny would like.

Ash leaves and runs into Sunny again and asks if he would like to pet Pikachu. Sunny tries but his hand just passes through. Ash embraces Sunny and holds his hand and then touches Pikachu with his own hand and Sunny can feel it. Sunny says it is just as wonderful as he imagined and fades away into nothing, moving on from this world.

Ash finally reaches the Pokemon center where his mom is and she says that his dad had to leave and won't be back for a very long time. She makes him his favorite croquettes which he eats with Pikachu and as he's eating he breaks down in tears uncontrollably.

The next day his mom goes to wake him up but he's already dressed and running out the door, as he heard there was an Entei sighting. He runs to the horizon down a dirt path and the sky is the exact same sky as the man's painting that was Sunny's favorite. The narrator says Ash's journey will continue forever.

THE END

Just an absolutely intense and surprising ending that reminds me of like David the Gnome or something. I haven't seen anyone talking about it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This article has the following under trivia:

quote:

This special appears to take place in the alternate continuity from I Choose You!, The Power of Us, and Secrets of the Jungle.
With no substantiation. Just in the authors opinion it appears to be in a different continuity?

And

quote:

A Mankey stealing a hat from Sunny and Ash is a reference to Ash getting his hat stolen from a Mankey in Primeape Goes Bananas.
Ash also mentions this event with Mankey during the episode, which means that part of the events in said episode also happened in this timeline.

Even though it directly references events from the main series, the authors conclusion is that this must have also happened in the alternate continuity?

I'm not really seeing any reason this is an alternate continuity other than him wearing a different set of clothes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man that ending sound stupid and pointless. Like at the same time overly sentimental and completely separated from anything the fans would care about. I don't really regret jumping off that anime somewhere in the Johto arc.

Well in the final season he becomes world champion of the Pokemon League. In the final arc he journeys with Brock and Misty again meeting some of his old Pokemon and solving problems, saving Latias and Latios.

Gary asks if being the champion makes him any closer to being a Pokemon master, which gives Ash a bit of an existential crisis. In the end he determines being champion was never his goal. His goal is to be friends with every Pokemon in the world, that's what a Pokemon master is. That's the second to last episode.

The episode I described was apparently a separate special, though it is standard episode length.

So while I don't see any evidence it isn't in the main continuity, it sounds like this wasn't actually the series finale either, but if you are a kid and watching in America, it's the series finale to you

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the miniseries that came after Journeys got dubbed eventually but I’m not 100% on that (I know in the US at least the series finished its run on Netflix rather than on TV)

It did get dubbed, it released on Netflix two weeks ago, that's where I watched it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume that will also come to Netflix in a few months. They tend to run about 9 months to one year behind Japan

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brock and Misty traveled with Ash through all of Johto(Pokemon generation 2). Misty went home and was replaced with May in Hoenn. May stayed in Hoenn and was replaced with Dawn in Sinnoh. In each of those cases the new female companion was the default female player character model from the respective game the region was in. Brock left the series at this point.

Then in Unova, Kalos, and Alola he had a new male and female companion in each.

For the final series, Journeys, he has just one companion, Goh, who was androgynous and represented the Pokemon Go series. Goh's goal was to catch every Pokemon and they basically supported each other on their journeys.

In all these series he would occasionally run into his old companions for a few adventures.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well Brock is fifteen years old and is constantly hitting on adults who have less than zero interest in him. And he has less than zero interest in girls his own age.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come And See posted:

A fundamental, unavoidable part of pet ownership is watching your pet age and die before you do. Ash will never experience that with Pikachu, and while perhaps enviable, it is extremely alienating.

They did have an absolutely heart wrenching episode with a homeless cat Pokemon that was raised by a dog Pokemon where the dog dies of old age. Ash does everything he can to try and make the dog better but there's nothing he or nurse Joy can do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inkspot posted:

Aggressively mid. Goliath is currently on not-trial to prove that Gargoyles are sentient.

Well are they?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cops are allowed to not be bastards in fiction

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People liked hawkgirl more in the show when they got rid of the really dumb helmet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People complain about Superman wantonly destroying buildings in Man of Steel, which he doesn't do, but everybody loves world of cardboard speech, where he actually does destroy multiple seemingly fully operational skyscrapers because Darkseid can take it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hold up I never knew about the first part

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they're going for an enders game type thing with it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was watching Frasier last night and the ad that came on before it was for a TV movie Goodburger 2 starring Keenan and Kel coming later this month. I had literally not heard anything about this, was anybody aware of this?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goodburger ruled though

I'd bet money Goodburger 2 is better than Clerks 2, the most similar premise I can think of

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he sticks a few more seasons he will have been on over 50% of SNL seasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's karma for him dropping the screw in the tuna

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw Lori Beth Denberg in the trailer for Goodburger 2.

Amanda Bynes has been in a lot of movies and television but personally isn't doing well and has had to get some help in recent years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He has a similar character that's a def jam comedy French comedian. He uses some culturally nonsensical French metaphor and then stares at the camera and says "Incroyable! In croy ah blay!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goodburger 2 was good. My only complaint is they used "I'm a dude, she's a dude, he's a dude, cause we're all dudes" way too often. But otherwise it was delightfully stupid and entertaining.

Proof positive the Abbot and Costello / Martin and Lewis formula still works. There should be more dumb buddy comedies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Interweb posted:

what do they mean by this? did they extend the episodes by slowing down the audio?

Means the whole drat episode is running at about 95% speed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kefkafloyd posted:

PAL is also 20% fewer frames per second, and therefore less rendering time. For direct-to-digital CGI TV in the 90s that time really added up.

D-1 is a tricky format, a DV-2000 or -2100 isn’t cheap and they’re part of a whole system. Their best bet is to contact an archive house producer. Hopefully someone like Discotek hears about this and gets in touch.

I know the PAL standard was a 50 fps signal and NTSC 60 fps, but aren't most television programs only 24fps regardless? (And most animated kids shows only 12 fps with some sequences like the opening credits and more exciting scenes being at 24)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah you know kids and their torrents

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd watch more Garp stuff.

Hell, I'd watch a movie about the world according to him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't even know there was a first

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The_Doctor posted:

There’s nothing wrong with this part.

There is if he was sending it to people he's subscribed to that doesn't explicitly say they allow that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I was assuming he was a customer sending Dick pics without asking

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neeksy posted:

I still think the world gets a bit too screwy when you look at it for too long, and was not designed to outlive its original series' scope.

Lol until the last three words of that sentence I thought you were talking about the real world

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neeksy posted:

You know what, maybe I am. Maybe I am talking about the scope of the social contract as it has been written up until this point.

Are you tired of being nice?

Some you just want to go APE SHITT?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My dream guide told me he could only tell me things I already knew, but after a mild beating he started to spill the beans

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the next bluey episode Bluey's dad sees on the news that scientists have detected fluctuations in solar activity indicating a supernova within weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neeksy posted:

It's that or make a show that's for somewhat older audiences and be Bob's Burgers with Dogs

Bob's Hotdogs