Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

(speaking of, didn’t that series get rebooted in some capacity recently and is said reboot any good?)
There's a computer animated muppet babies series that just wrapped up.

My preschool age kids like it. I don't remember enough specifics about the 1984 series to compare.

Not something I would recommend for adults, even as a nostalgia trip. Though sometimes it's neat when someone like Dr. Teeth shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

On another note, I was thinking of finally giving Infinity Train a try. I’ve heard good things about the first few seasons but does it hold up the whole way through
I watched it and found while there are some good parts it's very padded and ultimately unsatisfying.

readingatwork posted:

People love to poo poo on the fourth season of IT but I’m pretty sure it was supposed to be a more lighthearted pallet cleanser after the heavy events of S3.
The show didn't really need that, though, especially not a 10 episode palate cleanser. Creating an animated show these days with an "I have an 8 season arc prepared" mindset is reckless when you're relying on other peoples' money and goodwill to see it through to the end.

S4 didn't add anything to the much more consequential S3, it was basically "here's some other things that happened nearby". In the context of a hypothetical complete run of the show, it would still be "the season where not much happens"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, did the show get an ending of sorts then or did it just kind of stop?
I might be extra grumpy about this because I mistakenly believed before watching that S4 was a real ending, but quickly realized I must have misheard.

The show might work better if you only watch the earlier seasons or are more accepting of it as an incomplete work. But there's also a lot of other better shows in the world to watch!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Infinity Train seems decent so far as well, how soon until it goes downhill
if you like it, maybe never?? But for me, the opening scenes before she got on the train in the first episode were pretty strong but I started to get worn down by the train-car-of-the-week stuff. Also never really liked One-One and some of the other supporting characters.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

does every villain in the series wind up getting Friendship no Jutsu’d
I could answer your question but am curious to know how that would affect your experience of the series one way or the other

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

That’s what I’ve heard yeah, any exceptions to that rule out of curiosity?
Jasper ends the series mostly respecting Steven's power but not really coming around to the whole friendship-and-hugs vibes that everyone else does

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

One last treat. Ever curious about the fights I had with the censors on Gravity Falls?
this makes it seem like a miracle that anything shows up on Disney at all

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

cartoons123 posted:

It’s most likely test footage of an early version of the show, made on a deadline, hence the very rough and inconsistent animation
That's what it seems like, but even if the product was immaculate, I'm wondering who is this for?

I grew up with this show but I don't have any desire to watch these bunny children, and my kids have tons of other stuff they could watch.

though I haven't watched or engaged with the Animaniacs revival at all, maybe that's working for somebody

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
not my Little Ellen

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

Ughhh, looking more and more like they’re really about to memory hole IT
how much could the residual checks possibly be on these shows that it merits banishing them to the phantom zone

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Does anyone have any insight to what happened with DC Super Hero Girls (2019)?

I just finished watching both seasons and the movie with my 5yo and I liked it a lot, especially considering I otherwise don't have any affinity for the DC universe.

They did a fun job aging down most of the characters and the dynamics are solid, especially in Season 1 and especially in two-parter episodes where new heroes or villians are introduced.

My 5yo had most recently been into Friendship is Magic and this felt like the next step from that, basically swap out the ponies for superpeople with decades of weird lore to draw on for story inspiration.

Wikipedia initially listed Season 2 as having 52 episodes but it only ever aired 26, and the series seems to have ended pretty conclusively with the movie. I'm mostly fine with that but it's weird that there's no official announcement, you just have to read explanations people have written up on DeviantArt or whatnot.

The movie is also a very bizarre artifact in that it appears to be a 70 minute DC Super Hero Girls movie with 15 minutes of Teen Titans stuff added here and there, including a lot of weirdly pointed jabs from the Teen Titans about DCSHG's poor ratings and how the crossover movie is an attempt to boost DCSHG's profile by attaching it to a "more popular" show. Some of the meta stuff was funny but it felt a bit rude?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Wow, I’ll probably keep watching just to see how much of trainwreck it winds up being
or you could instead finish Steven Universe??

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I like the SU finale but Future was bad, that's my hot take
well I'm halfway through the SU rewatch so I'll see how I feel this time. I remember loving everything at the time

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

How are the comics this is apparently based on out of curiosity?
I would say bad

Moon Girl's defining trait is her "genius level intellect"; at one point Reed Richards or someone gives her a supposedly unsolvable puzzle box, which she solves, which supposedly ranks her as the smartest person in the marvel universe

despite being like 12 years old 9 years old. what does a 9yo know about anything

and afterwards she NEVER shuts up about it

and she complains constantly about having to go to a public school with normies that she's too good for because she's oh so very smart

The rest of the stories, when she's not complaining about being too smart, are about her meeting every hero in the marvel universe and learning the power of teamwork, badly

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 11, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

That sounds pretty bad, I haven’t watched the series yet but is she portrayed any better there?
I haven't watched the episode yet but everything so far seems to indicate all they kept of the comic character is "black girl in the city with gadgets and a dinosaur friend"

at the very least I doubt the show will spend any time with her teaming up with Spider-Man or Doctor Strange like in the comics

also wikipedia says she's 13yo in the show which is a much more appropriate age to go on superhero adventures than 9yo from the comics

edit: thrilled to see that Disney is still doing its bullshit where something airs on the Disney Channel and only comes to Disney+ later (in this case 5 days). what in the corporate nonsense is the point of this??

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 11, 2023

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I caught up with the two episodes of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur and loved it, though I accidentally left my detailed impressions in the MCU thread

so instead i will just have to leave this fine clip

https://files.catbox.moe/69aux4.webm

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
So apparently the first six (6) episodes of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur are on Disney+ which currently puts it a week or two ahead of the Disney Channel release schedule.

I don't know how they choose when to release things but I look forward to watching them!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

all the nuclear family sitcoms they did like Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
man I would get so forlorn as a kid when this would come on Cartoon Network

just like any channel where a syndicated episode of M.A.S.H. might start playing, except this was arguably a cartoon and on the channel where Powerpuff Girls was so the betrayal was somehow more severe

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was also kinda confusing to me how the cartoon depicted their little neighborhood in Manhattan being a small tight-knit community, which I just can't really get my head around the idea of everybody knowing eachother's names in the densest part of the biggest city in the country.
it's a fantasy, like having a jetpack or a dinosaur friend or a community space where people can gather not on the internet

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Everyone posted:

Is there not some version of "nostalgia for something you never personally experienced?" Like somebody born in the 00s somehow "nostalgic" for the 80s or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v1b9waHWY

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Just finished the last season of Hulu Animaniacs, it’s basically more of the same stuff we had in the previous two

Larryb posted:

After watching the How to Train Your Dragon movies and series for the first time recently I decided to check out Nine Realms on Hulu.
Larryb will watch literally anything to avoid finishing Steven Universe

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

readingatwork posted:

I can see a few of the more intense episodes being a bit much for the Y-7 crowd
🎵I learned to stay true to myself
By watching myself die... 🎵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7MCrvJt1M&t=209s

(nothing in the show was too crazy for my 5yo but whatever. "Common Sense Media" rates it a 10+ based on insights like "Steven's dad has a mullet, minimal work ethic, and lives out of his van." but also mostly for fighting)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I watched one of these Chibiverse episodes and whooo boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmuKrHRoDc

Is there a crossover of people who know who all these characters are and still have plastic baby teletubbies brain that can enjoy/follow it? because I felt my brain turning to soup a little bit

The voiceless "shorts" in particular, I mean. The voiced interstitials are more like a normal cartoon.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1633386477500649473
right when I caught up with the 6 that were there already

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
if I had created Steven Universe I think I would be comfortable resting on my creative laurels for a couple five or ten years

maybe not financially comfortable exactly, but hopefully spiritually comfortable?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious if we’re going to get a new theme song for Season 2 seeing as the lyrics of the previous one don’t really apply anymore
I've only watched maybe halfway through S1 so I guess I'd better finish up to understand to what this might refer

more songs is always good anyway

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

pentyne posted:

I watched Avatar on release, same with Korra, but other then She-ra and Voltron I haven't really checked out too many other examples in the field.
Steven,

have you heard the tale of (have you heard the tale of?) Steven...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

serialized animated programming on Disney basically died with The Owl House
Moon Girl S1 is about as serialized as Star Vs S1 was and I would expect the second season to be a little moreso

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

adult animation with a strong male audience is gonna be safer
Infinity Train Season 5: we say "gently caress" now

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

We have our first teaser for the ATLA Netflix series
I have admittedly only watched one episode of Avatar so far in my life but the question these pictures raise is me is "why?"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
what is amongus if not Werewolf, persevering

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
if that was 500GB of emails it would be one thing but with a media company 500GB could just be one uncompressed Rugrats episode

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Gravity Falls, is the Lost Legends graphic novel they released a few years ago any good?
I honestly don't like Gravity Falls as much as most people but the comic is a great extension of the story

I ended up getting most of the tie-in books for my kids and Lost Legends is definitely the best. There's also Journal #3, but it's mostly just a recap of the show so arguably inessential.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
My Adventures with Superman is a very good show and I'm glad to be experiencing it

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Yeah, there is no such thing as filler in Steven Universe.
this is true on some level but also anything with Ronaldo is bad

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
it does leave things on a little more sour note compared to what came before

SU & the movie: you have problems with relationships, codependency, abuse, abandonment, fascism, genocide? no problem, go see Pagliacci
SU Future: Pagliacci is sad

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I'm honestly a little relieved that Molly McGee ended. I like Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder but the show never substantially evolved from the pilot. There's some great episodes but also a lot of Molly's loud shrieking interspersed with schmaltz.

All the songs were good, but they're usually like 20 seconds long.

I had to really push my 6yo to watch it. She claims the ghosts are too scary? Whereas we've had no problem chugging through serialized shows like Gravity Falls and Carmen Sandiego.

Now that there's a finite amount left we can definitely finish it out.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I am imploring the people of Earth to watch Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750005375498379658
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750006691587141671
https://twitter.com/steveloter/status/1750009074060816659

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

I enjoyed the show a fair bit and look forward to its return next month. Speaking of, are the original comics this is based on any good?
about the same as the last time you asked, I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Larryb posted:

Seems like a similar case to Big Hero 6 then where the movie/show was way better than the original source material
I think so! Having read the comics first I was really pleased with all the changes.

I thought S1 was stylistically amazing and fun, curious to see what a "more serialized" S2 could possibly look like.