Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mobo85 posted:

Although some of them (such as the MAD Magazine show) do sound like they would be a better fit for Adult Swim, these are all officially Cartoon Network shows.

Well, thank goodness for whatever corporate mandate came along and OKed TV-PG material in Cartoon Network's normal lineup. They haven't taken it anywhere extreme, but it really lets the staff on their shows play things a little more loosely.

Y-Hat posted:

Johnny Test seems stupid to me for some reason.

I got to leave work early on April 1st and came home just in time to catch Cartoon Network's April Fool's day prank. This year, that entailed dubbing in flatulence noises onto every cartoon they aired. It was really well done, with a wide range of gastrointestinal sounds that were always played to great effect. The crappy Canadian teenager shows (Sixteen and...Stoked?) were mind-blowingly funny with these "enhancements," but in Johnny Test you couldn't even hear the goddamn fart noises because something loud was happening at all times. It seemed like every time anybody finished a sentence, there was a buzzer or an alarm or a general clattering sound effect in the background, and every movement on-screen was coupled with an unnecessary sound effect. It was the first time I had ever actually watched a full episode of the show and I was appalled by what I saw - I'm only 25 but Johnny Test brings out some insane old man rage in me. It's too goddamn loud, ugly and stupid, and Johnny is an astoundingly crappy protagonist who spent both episodes trying to be a lazy sack of poo poo and avoid doing any real work.

thelaughingman posted:

Cartoon network announced its new line-up.

This is really promising after last year's live action reality show bonanza. I think now that both Nickelodeon and Disney have turned into clearinghouses for crappy, saccharine teen sitcoms, CN is realizing their best bet is to stick with animation and to do it really, really well. Regular Show and Robotomy both look like they will be worth checking out and could be a great addition to the Flapjack/Adventure Time power hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Strange Matter posted:

There are only two things that need to be said about Megas XLR:

3) It was done by the same production staff that did MTV's "Downtown" circa 1999, which had the same visual style and even shared a character with Megas. They also took the chance to destroy an MTV-esque logo/building with a giant robot in most episodes.

muscles like this? posted:

That was quite a jolt Freak.

And Weena Mercator as "The Hopping Woman"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Also, I've been watching Fairly Oddparents recently, and I looked it up and saw they are making a live action movie.

Find that picture of Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines in their Cosmo and Wanda get-ups (it may have been posted earlier in the thread) - HORRIFYING. They did a good job. Perhaps too good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Every time I see that I think of the episode of Seinfeld when they find out what Kramer's first name is and Jason Alexander keeps saying "Cosmo? Cosmo?! COSMO?!" over and over in disbelief, because that was pretty much my reaction to that picture.

I don't doubt that they'll have Jason Alexander make a "COSMO?!" joke at some point. It really is that natural. Or maybe he'll say something along the lines of, "No, that's a friend of mine."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TwoPair posted:

Also, Jesus, I don't care if the character designs are terribly hideous, could they turn down the neon a bit on that show?

See, all I'm thinking when I watch it is, "The writing isn't so hot, but at least it's...intensely colorful to look at? :350:"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Everyone should watch Dan vs. It's pretty funny.

Curtis Armstrong and Dave Foley piqued my interest, the SA recommendation seals it. Will watch tomorrow's "Dan vs. Canada."

I only hope they can work one of the other Kids in the Hall in there...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
TeenNick Bringing a 90's Block to Late-Night

Two things, Nickelodeon:

1) You needed FACEBOOK AND TWITTER to tell you that people who grew up on your shows would happily watch them again? Because I'm pretty sure that I was hearing people clamoring for those reruns back in college, five years ago. And was it really so hard to say "Oh we have this HUGE CATALOG OF TITLES, we should fill some programming gaps with this"?

2) It's going to take you about six months to air shows that you already produced and own the rights to? I'm just a simpleton who doesn't understand how television works, but...what the hell are you guys doing over there, Viacom?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thelaughingman posted:

Toonzone has some info on what Cartoon Network has Planned for the rest of this year.

*whip crack* Goddamn I hate Johnny Test *whip crack* Who the poo poo *whip crack* decided that poo poo *whip crack* needed more episodes? I mean most of their geuninely kid-oriented stuff is garbage *whip crack* but Jesus, that show *whip crack* is just a *whip crack* travesty.

Also, I can't wait to see 20 hours worth of commercials for Level Up and then have it premiere, fail and never be heard of again, (Note that "Tower Prep" is not on that returning shows list.) Scripted live action programming is never going to be your forte, CN.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

thelaughingman posted:

The character designs and animation is pretty horrible too. I've seen better stuff made by high school students.

edit: Wonderful use of the whip crack too.

Totally agree. Ugly, ugly, cheap looking show.

I watched a lot of Rocko's Modern Life recently after it was added to Netflix Instant, and it occurred to me after a while that much like Johnny Test almost every character motion is accompanied by a sound effect. The difference is, Rocko (and others) actually uses more than a single foley effect. I would love to ask the production crew on Johnny Test who came up with the whip-crack-only direction, why they think it's a good idea, and how they sleep at night.

\/\/\/\/Oops, should have clarified. Wacky Delly is one of the greats, though.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 24, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vaerai Archon posted:

I think Tazmania was WB's attempt to mimic Goof Troop, allthough the entire premesis was that the Family was a normal sitcom family but Taz was still Taz and you had no idea what he was saying ever. You pretty much relied on the other characetrs to interpit what Taz was saying. I don't remember Tazmania ever being terrible or having an episode that made you feel liek you watched the worst thing ever though.

Taz-Mania started in 1991, Goof Troop debuted in 1992. So maybe the other way around? Or a happy coincidence. I didn't give Taz-Mania a lot of thought as a kid - I watched it, but it certainly wasn't my favorite - but now I remember it being pretty solid. Could just be nostalgia, though, but there's no denying how catchy the theme song was.

Macaluso posted:

Though I loved Bonkers.

My favorite thing about Bonkers was how Animaniacs went out of their way to name drop it a couple of times, and never in a positive way. It was an early introduction to metatextual humor.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Rocko's first season doesn't hold up well at all, but I didn't really like those episodes even when I was a kid. Everything else is pretty strong, and a lot of the "Haha get ready kids because once you're out there on your own things are going to suck hard" messages come through a lot more clearly now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

J-Spot posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how much adult humor the Rocko crew managed to sneak past the censors, even if some of it was cut out later. It took the network three years to catch on to the "Chokey Chicken" joke, and at that point it had been too heavily featured for them to excise it from the reruns. I was planning to buy the DVD set, but apparently they're using cut versions and I simply cannot bring myself to support that.

The cut versions are the only versions that exist. MTV Networks had a nasty habit of editing the original masters rather than creating new copies with scenes excised for a long, long time. I believe Mike Judge has said he's pretty sure there are good pieces of Beavis and Butthead episodes that simply don't exist anymore because the network didn't inform him that they were editing the master copies beforehand.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Also, jumping on the Johnny Test hate wagon because gently caress that show.

Jesus Jumped-Up Christ, what is wrong with Johnny Test. Because gently caress That Show.

Why is it so loving ugly? Why is everything so poorly animated? Why is there a GODDAMN loving whip sound effect every time anybody does anything? Why? Why? WHY?

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 12, 2011

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's not just CN's fault. There are more than half a dozen cable networks that air exclusively children's programming for at least 12 hours a day. That killed broadcast children's stuff - no need for networks to produce, and for affiliates to pony up for, shows that air in marginalized time slots when over half the households in the country have access to channels that broadcast to the same target demographic all day, 365 days a year.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

El Tortuga posted:

I couldn't believe it when I read that it's been almost 20 years since Alvin and the Chipmunks were on TV. I realized then that it was the movies that had poisoned a property that I enjoyed watching as a kid.

"Poisoned" a property? This property was poo poo from the second some dickhole in the 50's decided that a novelty EP of squeaky-voiced pop covers would be funny. (I liked the series as a kid too, but it's one of those things that does not hold up in any way as you age. You just wind up pissed at yourself for being a stupid kid.)

That said: Against all logic or reason, the current trilogy of films has made more than $1 billion worldwide...still based on the concept of squealing animals "singing" pop hits. And that's just box office gross! Factor in broadcast rights, home media sales and merchandising and you're looking at an even more sizable chunk of changes. If some wack-rear end CGI television series can capture even a hair of those profits, well, it's probably a worthwhile investment.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

I picked another episode at random and the frequency is just as ridiculous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBG8iBPKhqs

As I stated years ago in this very thread, Johnny Test makes me feel like the oldest man alive. I imagine that's how my parents viewed whatever I watched as a kid - "It's ugly, it's stupid, and above all else it's just so goddamn loud."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Glad to see the US doesn't have a monopoly on police murdering the mentally ill and walking away scot-free.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Maybe CN's execs just realize how terribly their corporate parents are managing the bulk of DC properties at the box office and know that trying to capitalize on that "success" is a fruitless endeavor.

"Head Office wants us to run a Green Lantern series, but...Ryan Reynolds? With that script?"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PhazonLink posted:

They should make an update of Magic School Bus. Science has advanced, Pluto isn't a planet.

e: Besides the Solar System episode, what other episodes/topics had major/notable discoveries?

Really, the most important lesson from the solar system episode was "Sometimes you need to be willing to commit suicide to prove a point."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acquire Currency! posted:

We've got 5 minutes left this episode! Press the button.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dr Christmas posted:

Was Downtown, the show he did on MTV, good? I don't remember it too well. He was mad about its cancellation, and you'd see stuff relating to an MTV surrogate get smashed a lot in MegasXLR.

It was pretty good. I remember thinking it came across like a younger, hipper version of Dr. Katz, in that characters will begin to discuss a past or imagined event, and the animation will follow it. The big story arc is pretty much the exact same as MTV's Undergrads, ("Hey, all of our goofy white guy viewers: The girl you are pining after? She will never love you. You have a female friend RIGHT NOW who you'd be perfectly happy with. Season finale? Said female friend calls it out, the guy realizes it but in the end all of his relationships are in shambles. There is no season two.")

One of the former animators now sells a Downtown DVD set that technically, legally circumvents the "Oh MTV kind of owns this" issues (As if MTV/Viacom would know or care.) Blog post is old as poo poo but I got my "promotional copy" about two years ago, so I think the offer still stands.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trash Boat posted:

Oh I'm sure it can't be that ba...

:stare:

Man, Julie Taymor really hit the skids after Turn Off the Dark, huh?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

axleblaze posted:

New Scooby Doo designs are...um...what's the word...

Oh right, bad. The new designs are bad.

No, guys, Shaggy is supposed to look stoned, not Scooby.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jack Gladney posted:

Since when did Arsenio Hall get another talk show?

It was announced in 2012, debuted last year and it's already been cancelled.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
TTG has an episode that ends with Robin dying. There's no moral or copping out, he just dies (Of old age, but still.) That's quality kid's entertainment.

Cuuuuuuursssssse...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

Don't...

Don't...

Can't... Take... The bait...

So old... But...

OH poo poo GET THE gently caress OUT god dammit

My God, those smelled good...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's odd because S&P is more lax than ever. Like, Gravity Falls is on Disney Channel and they can get away with actually saying "death" and "die" and having monsters take hatchets to the gut, considering that Batman Beyond had to have the screen flash to hide the actual impact of punches and a decade ago anime infamously had to hide references to death behind things like "sent to the shadow realm" we're in a whole new ballpark.

:corsair: Back in my day we had "HFIL," and if you wanted to hear Heero Yuy say "I'll kill you" you had to catch the "Uncut" airing on Midnight Run

Nowadays Adventure Time can make pitch-black suicide jokes but it's delivered in a cheeky way and, hey, there's a TV-PG in the corner! No worries!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this? posted:

Rocko isn't good example because in retrospect it appears they got a lot of jokes through because whoever was in charge of S&P on the show was asleep at the wheel.

Mostly because in later seasons they had to redo some stuff.

And even the stuff in later seasons that got through later got excised from the master tapes ("We're playing Spank the Monkey," Rocko grabbing that bear's testicles, "Retorqued your Johnson Rods" being redubbed, etc.)

It seems like at least a quarter of Looney Tunes shorts contain suicide gags. Animaniacs got a fingering joke in there - and not a subtle one, either! Pinky and the Brain had that entire episode where the plot was "Brain is sued for sexual harassment in the workplace." That kind of stuff has always been there in cartoons, it just seems a little more blatant now (so much vagina imagery in Adventure Time - see above) or particularly noteworthy given how prone organizations like the PTC are to inciting a moral panic (Typically about things that aren't meant for children, though. They'll encourage an FCC letter writing campaign about any given episode of American Dad while they let the Regular Shows and Gravity Falls of the world pass them by.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ahahahah

E: that guy is dead

Nah, even thought it literally knocked him out of his shoes, he was fine (Aside from the fractured wrist, vertebrae, bruised liver & lungs, etc.) He tackled the same event two years later and won the gold.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

The tie-in issue goes back much further than that. The Sugar Crisp bear and other cereal mascots had their own show in the early 60s, for instance. If anything, the 70s were the decade of cracking down on that type of nonsense, since the FCC placed a ban on children's show characters appearing in ads on the same show (which goes back to the beginning of US broadcasting). Stuff like He-Man and GI Joe was made possible mainly by Reagan-era deregulation.

Just imagine if you could tell Hasbro's execs in the 80's, "You think this half hour toy commercial poo poo is good? Under the first black President - Who is a Democrat, mind you! - you guys are going to have your own network."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Macaluso posted:

80s Hasbro Executive: "Is our Transformers line still popular in the future?"
Time Traveler: "Yeah Transformers is crazy popular in the future. There's even live action movies based on it!"
80s Hasbro Executive: "Oh wow! And how successful does our My Little Pony line become?"
Time Traveler: "...you might want to sit down for this"

80s Hasbro Exec: So these Transformer movies, explain them to me.
Time Traveler: Well they hired a noted, uh, psychopath to direct them...There's an extended masturbation joke in the first one, but the product placement is out of the park. You guys barely have a financial stake in the movie after getting PepsiCo and GM to underwrite a ton of it. They keep that up in the second one, where there's there's a robot with testicles. In the third film....
80s Hasbro Exec: Hot drat, a third film?
Time Traveler: Yeah, in the third movie, well...you guys don't know what "9/11" is but...there's a lot of that, it's super tasteful and in the fourth movie there's a vagina monster that spits "slizz" on one of the robots, and then the robot calls it a "bitch" and kills it with a gun. Oh, and by that point there's blatant alcohol product placement in your movie based on children's toys.
80s Hasbro Exec: But how's the BO?
Time Traveler: Boffo BO.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cardboard Box A posted:

"Let's just say it's really popular and leave it at that."

Like they'd give a poo poo, they're toy company executives.

"So wait, we're successfully leveraging our existing marketshare...but we're also making inroads into a demographic with more disposable income than sense?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

That groovy as gently caress Manilla Gorilla bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Cwxes1qo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still can't believe this exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBMHl3-Nco
Dexter's Lab had a whole rap album

I also enjoyed the little videos in between commercials where all the Cartoon Network characters hanged out around a town/office.

Love Back to the Lab. Looks like you can get a used copy on Amazon for a reasonable price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EKZ4J5t4c

I remember reading a breakdown of how this spot was made in Entertainment Weekly back in '99 or thereabouts. The writing process was something along the lines of "Well, Fred Flintsone's a crank, Chicken's a crank, so all we needed was an idiot to play off of them..."