Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

raditts posted:

Heathcliff always felt like second tier Garfield to me. I never liked the alley cats either.

The Heathcliff comic was better than the Garfield comic. The Garfield cartoon was funnier than the Heathcliff cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Band Geeks is one of the best episodes of a comedy cartoon ever made, and Squidward winds up being the hero in that.

https://vimeo.com/61875169

One of my favorite episodes of all time.

"You know how some people talk loud to sound smart?"

"YES!"

And since we're on the subject, one of my other favorite episodes was one of the first ones, where Spongebob bought those inflatable muscle arms. I don't really care for the episode as a whole, but I always watch it just for one line:

"I used to a wimp without anchor arms. Now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me."

PBS Newshour posted:

Oh god, I have the vaguest memories of Zombie Island, that is the one where people suddenly start turning into werecat creatures right? I remember that one and the one with the Goth band.

Zombie Island was great for nothing else than the awesome soundtrack by Skycycle. It helps that it was a legitimately good movie as a whole as well. Probably the best Scooby Doo related thing since Scooby Doo Meet The Boo Brothers, and remained the best thing until Mystery Inc.

Witch's ghost was...okay. I didn't really care for the songs in that one though, and for some reason didn't really enjoy the ending.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ye9O-LpuA

I misremembered the exact lines but was close!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Since we're talking about shows from the late 90s....what did y'all think of Cow and Chicken?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Lady Legasus was sure something. Probably one of the early indicators I'd like the new direction.

In other news today I remembered that, in addition to the RoboCop, Mortal Kombat, UltraForce and WildC.A.T.S. cartoons, Savage Dragon was given the "poo poo That Probably Shouldn't Be Animated But What The gently caress It's Popular With The Kids" treatment.

I know they toned things way the gently caress down with SD, but I still enjoyed it. The second season did improve things quite a bit though. Way darker and serious.

At least that show actually had somewhat decent fight scenes, unlike Mortal Kombat: DOTR. The show could have been a lot more tolerable if it had better animation and fight choreography. The actual writing wasn't too bad. There was the episode where Shang Tsung was resurrected by Shao Khan from a literal hell and wasn't too happy about being put there.

"None can fathom the damnation I've been put through"

I remember being shocked as a kid with that line.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is gonna be good.

Wonder if there's going to be any awkwardness between Tara Strong and the chick who replaced her for Bubbles.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Considering a 14 year old girl is voicing Bubbles now I hope they don't do any digs at her.

She's 14? What happened to child labor laws?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How that Extreme Ghostbusters show from the late 90s/early 00s.?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I actually kinda liked Scooby Doo and the Boo Brothers. :smith:

raditts posted:

Kronk's New Groove, maybe?

Yup. Show was garbage.

Y-Hat posted:

Even before the '70s, Hanna-Barbera had no originality. Top Cat was an animated Sgt. Bilko,

Never heard of this show, but I just saw a clip of it on youtube and there's a character in there that I swear to god is the same dude who did the voice of Benny the Ball.

edit: Also, you totally stole this from the Simpsons.

You thought we would notice.

But we did.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I knew it!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Foster's was the first flash animated show that I can remember. And I remember really hating it. The animation, I mean. Though the show wasn't that great either. As mentioned, Bloo was an irredeemable douche.

It was also the show that elevated Grey Delise to VA stardom, and put her in every goddamned cartoon since.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Well Grey Delise had already had a few major roles before then(Vicky and Tootie on Fairly Odd Parents, Mandy on Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy), but yeah she did being even more present afterwards

I thought Vicky was also done by Tara Strong? But you're right overall.

Just to be clear, she's a fine VA and all, it's just that she's so drat oversaturated in everything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Hurricane Neddy was the most interesting Flanders has ever been, because they allowed him to have a relatable flaw besides his overly-pious posturing. His secret burning rage that fueled his cutesy sayings made him much more interesting, and they could have developed that with him channelling it to start standing up to Homer just a little more even if not making it an actual arc. Just occasional scenes of him almost but not quite losing his temper could have helped his character a lot.

Speaking of Hurricane Neddy, as much as I liked that episode and immensely enjoyed Ned making GBS threads on everyone, the impetus for his outburst really never made sense to me. I mean, he flips his poo poo because the denizens of Springfield rebuild his (completely destroyed) house, but do a pretty lovely job which causes it to be re-destroyed? Okay, that definitely sucks and all, but this is one of the few times in the series' history where the people of Springfield actually make an effort to help out and not be selfish dickheads. I mean, it was honestly quite admirable and sweet, in fact. It'd be one thing if he became incredibly depressed afterwards, and used that as an excuse to question his faith, wondering why he can't catch a break despite his very best attempts to be a good, decent human being. But to become absolutely infuriated? Doesn't exactly follow well.

It's kind of a similar complaint I had with the Poochy episode. The problem was never that the addition of Poochy himself turned Itchy and Scratchy into poo poo. It was that they removed all the other stuff that made Itchy and Scratchy enjoyable to begin with.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PicklePants posted:

Eh. You get your hopes lifted, only to have them crash around you in a burning fire, because well meaning people didn't do the bare minimum and hire a contractor first.

His kids could have been hurt. He could have been hurt. They over looked some pretty glaring issues, and it's not just a home, it's his investment and livelihood.

Good intentions only go SO far.

Okay, I guess I kinda see it that way.

If you're referring to the Poochy episode....was it though? I mean yeah, the thought had crossed my mind, but given what happened with later episodes, I could just as easily believe they just didn't care whether the plot made any sense or not.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the only good thing to come from the Hub was Dan Vs, unless I forgetting some other shows

:highfive:

Dan VS was great.

And while it wasn't new, I thought it was pretty cool that they decided to play episodes of Conan The Adventurer. Had no idea they owned the rights to it, let alone cared enough about it to put it back on air.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I'm like six pages behind, but I saw that David Tennant as Scrooge has been covered, which leads me to a question.

Is anyone else not a fan of major Hollywood stars doing voice acting gigs? I mean, nothing against Tennant himself, but I just dislike the idea of using star power as a hook for your show. It's one of the reasons Dreamsworks movies bugged me a lot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

To be fair, Alan Young was already pretty famous at least as far as TV goes prior to him voicing Scrooge so it's really not all that different in this case.

Sheeit. This made me realize that, contrary to my beliefs, there's a very significant portion of the VA community that came from T.V./film acting.

- Mark Hammil
- Tim Curry
- David Warner
- Patrick Warburton
- Brad Garrett
- Ed Asner

I mean, I knew this was already the case to some degree, but it's actually more prominent than I figured. My whole world is falling apart. D:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I saw it. It was cute and funny but felt extremely derivative of AT's humor. Kinda disappointing because other shorts by that particular person have been way more interesting. Like this
https://vimeo.com/46233381

Uh...did you link the wrong video? Cause I don't see how that's anything remotely like AT. It's actually pretty depressing and terrifying. :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I absolutely adored Megas when I first saw it, but then some of the shine wore off years later when I found out it's soundtrack was comprised entirely of stock music. Granted, there were some really good tracks for sure, but the idea makes the show come off as kind of cheap.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

At the risk of making a lot of enemies...am I the only that actually like Teen Titans Go way more than the original Teen Titans? :ohdear:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

There were lots of problems with Korra, but one thing I haven't seen many people touch on is that the world in that series seems so much smaller, and less impactful than the world in TLA. In TLA, Aang and the crew's mission effected literally the entire world, and made the adventure feel a whole lot more important and gave the series a sense of grandeur. Korra on the other hand, is limited to what, Republic City (is that what it's called?) and a few other relatively small locales? Going in that direction seemed like a huge step backwards.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Full intro for Star vs. season 3 just dropped. Officially.

That new intro's kinda meh. The one for the first season was much more dynamic and flowed much better with the music.

The music in the intro, by the way, is actually pretty decent.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

Ducktales coming 8/12. Show intro at the end of this livestream:

https://www.facebook.com/ducktales/videos/1022298801240126

The intro is good.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURi91Eb6I8

wow, that's not bad at all. Both the animation and the music. Pleasantly surprised. Thank god they didn't go with some weird rear end alternative rock + autotune poo poo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

One thing that pissed me the hell off was Nickelodeon's practically criminal treatment of the Avatar: TLA theme. Ever since I first saw it, it always felt like something that was cut abruptly short. And turns out it fricken' was! Here's the full theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYS02Gm92oI

Seriously, look how infinitely better the theme is in its full context. And for some dumb reason, Nickelodeon decided to cut the best part out. And don't tell me it's because they wanted a shorter intro for more time for ads or whatever. Spongebob's intro goes on for a full minute, as does Fairly Oddparents, and both those shows exist for nothing more than merchandise.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

That's because they have a catchy theme song with lyrics and stuff rather than just a score.

There are tons of successful cartoons that have theme songs with no lyrics, like Rugrats, for example (though I wouldn't call that theme catchy, personally).

Ruflux posted:

I find it kinda weird you didn't notice this before considering the Avatar theme is kinda used multiple times in the show and even a few times in Korra. Sure it's slightly different since it doesn't have the slow underscore that sits underneath Katara's narration but still, it's like in a bunch of different episodes :v:

Actually, I did notice it, at least in the pilot, but I can't recall any other instances (I'm not saying there weren't, just that I can't think of any other ones that come to mind).

But that doesn't have to do anything with my point about Nickelodeon being dummies for truncating the theme.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

And yeah, that new theme re-uploads sounds way better.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just saw OK K.O., this is a very good cartoon.

I think my favorite thing is the first episode, everything around the elemental nachos. That's just such a neat twist on elemental power ups in videogames, and before that you have loving Kill la Kill red text pops and before and after that there were bits using hannah barbera sound effects. It just feels like the people working on it grabbed all the good poo poo they liked and mashed it together into a cohesive, awesome thing.

Although episode 6 finishing with everyone just Unite Morphing into a Wonder Fist made me cry tears of joy.

What's with the weird lip movements? Is it supposed to be a joke on the the way anime characters speak?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pakled posted:

Or replace it with Teen Titans Go and youve got Cartoon Network.

Good god...

Okay, NOW can we all agree that oversaturating a show is a bad thing?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I always thought it was kind of odd how Disney was able to make fairly popular series with Donald Duck and Goofy in the 90s, but didn't decide to do the same for Mickey.

Speaking of which, I'm still surprised to this day that Goof Troop was the only Disney afternoon series that got a theatrical film release. I mean, sure, I liked and watched pretty much all the episodes, but I would have preferred one for Chip & Dale's RR, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles before I'd think of one for Goof Troop. Maybe it was way more popular than I figured at the time.

Larryb posted:

So a lot of the problem was more on their end than it was Disney's? That kind of makes sense since I think GF was the first time Hirsch had ever done something large scale like that.

Not that Disney is the only one with weird scheduling practices mind you, look at Nickelodeon for example. The last half of Legend of Korra was aired almost exclusively online (that coupled with the creators being burned out at the moment is part of the reason why it's not likely we're going to see anything Avatar related that isn't in comic form anytime soon) not to mention how they've handled stuff like the current Power Rangers seasons and pretty much any show on the network that isn't Spongebob.

I always wondered if Avatar: TLA's popularity was bolstered by the fact that it was literally the only other animated series Nickelodeon was airing at the time besides Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

DuckTales got a theatrical movie. Its lack of success is why the other ones didn't get any.

If that's the case, then it makes it all the more impressive that Goof Troop was the one out of all the rest that was granted the chance.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Teen Titans had a few really good episodes (Terra's whole arc, kinda) but a lot of it really hasn't aged well. The serialisation was near revolutionary for its time, but later shows just took everything and did it way better.

Revolutionary? There were tons of shows that did the serialized format long before TT:

- X-Men: TAS
- Spiderman: TAS
- Gargoyles
- Superman: TAS
- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Double Dragon
- Sonic: TAS
- Pirates of Dark Water
- Justice League/Unlimited

And I believe Avatar: TAS came out the same year as TT.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

The DCAU got progressively more and more murder happy as it went on in retrospect.

I generally consider myself marginally more of a Marvel guy, but one thing I've always liked about DC animated shows is that they weren't afraid to use actual violent weapons and actually use words like death and kill (and also do so as well!). It's a pet peeve of mine that was borne out of the first DBZ dub using the "next dimension" euphemism for killing. X-Men: TAS was initially okay in that aspect, but as the show went on, they started using words like "destroy" instead of "kill". Spiderman: TAS was way worse in this regard, and they used blasters instead of guns, which puzzled the poo poo out of me as a kid (okay, so they have these futuristic weapons but they still drive regular cars and everything else seems like it's present day?).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

I vaguely remember that there was a Justice League episode where the heroes went to a Nazi-controlled Earth and the writers were told they could either use the Nazi symbol or real guns but not both. So they did the former.

Speaking of Nazis, there was an episode of Captain Planet that had Hitler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0MVuWDc5RQ

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Richard Horvitz(Dagget) was also the voice of Alpha 5 on Power Rangers

Holy poo poo :monocle:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

I just randomly did a search on the Gargoyles episode involving the use of guns and apparently the episode was immediately pulled from reruns after airing. How bout dem apples.

They did air this episode repeatedly when it was on Toon Disney, though they cut off the graphic scene of Eliza lying in a pool of her own blood.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't remember the show that well, but wasn't Cat like Squidward?

Yes, in that they were both the butt of constant, unwarranted harassment and abuse. The abuse in Catdog was in many ways worse because Cat was, of course, one of the lead characters and so nearly every episode was about him getting hosed over in some manner. Squidward, at least, wasn't in every episode of SpongeBob. But yeah, it was one of the main reasons I hated watching Catdog.

Great soundtrack, though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Magic School Bus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoiTW2zw80c

Eeeeeeh. It seems pretty....ugly.

Man, I thought we were done with that garbage flash animation stuff. I mean, compare this to the currently running (I think?) Curious George cartoon. Night and goddamned day.

Hell, Netflix might as well have just hired the studio that did the animation for Bojack Horseman.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, the VA for Harold has had better days, hasn't he.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just started watching through Are You Afraid of the Dark for Halloween as I haven't seen it in years. The first one, the Tale of the Phantom Cab is a cute one. The main characters are pretty poor actors, but Dr Vink is entertaining and the twist with the cab driver is delivered in a fairly funny way ("You might say *snaps his head 180 degrees while driving* I SORTA DIED! :haw:"). I like Dr Vink because he plays alternately creepy and whimsical, like getting all giddy about playing riddles with the protagonists and when they fail to answer and still try to use his phone he suddenly whips out a pair of shears, holds them to the phone line and adds "We play by my rules... or we don't play at all.:stare:" The biggest twist though is that the police actually take the protagonists seriously. They go into the woods in the narrated post-script to find Dr Vink and arrest him, only for there to only be a few stone foundations left where his shack once stood. I kinda like that.

Also they did a decent job trying to misdirect when the cabbie is telling his story, starting with him talking about how he lost his hand to Dr Vink for failing his riddle, although throwing in "40 years ago" to get the audience going "waaaaaaait a minute...", but until he mentions that he had an accident after leaving Vink's place you don't know that Vink found his corpse in the woods and hacked his hand off right then and there, it tries to get you to think he gave his hand when still alive.

I saw a couple episodes of the first season a good while back (this and the second were the best in the series), and admittedly, the show is not nearly as scary to someone in his early 30s as it was to someone who was still in elementary school, I still think it holds up pretty well. One of the things the early episodes did very well was provide a great, creepy atmosphere, which was unfortunately lost in later seasons. Also, I didn't realize this before, but I think one of the factors that led to the show being reasonably scary was that in many cases, you never actually saw the actual evil entity responsible. For example, in the episode, The Tale of the Dark Music, the demon or whatever that haunted the basement never truly revealed itself, instead, just preferring to talk behind a glowing door. The fact that you didn't know what this thing actually looked like, was in a way scarier than if you did. Also, the music in the show was really great too. Shame everything went to hell later on. :smith:

Since we're on the subject though, what was the deal with the ending to the Tale of the Super Specs. I never understood what that was about.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 13, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Also it's that time again.

God, this makes me foam at the mouth every time I see it.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but is there something different about the way kids' brains are wired nowadays compared to when we were growing up? Sure, back in the 90s we had marathons, but they would usually be relegated to holidays or other special events. But none of this poo poo that seems to happen on a goddamned daily basis.

I mean, just practically speaking, who the hell are these oversaturated schedules directed at? I don't care how big a fan you are of Teen Titans Go, that poo poo has got to be tiring as gently caress when you see the same episodes over and over again in such a short amount of time. And this applies to ANY show, mind you.

Though, to be fair, I guess. This sort of crap isn't limited to kids shows. USA and TNT went crazy with reruns of House and Law and Order: SVU, and other networks do the same poo poo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

A bit old, but have y'all seen this video about Legend of Korra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ekVcFsa2A&t=24s

I'm not a big fan of these youtubers that have those annoying avatars/personas that have like 3 different frames signifying an emotion or action they're feeling/performing at a given moment, but that being said, he pretty much nails every single problem I had with LoK.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 27, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Broken clock, I guess. Mr. Enter is still garbage though.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Pro tip: avatar tla was never good

looks like we got a korra fan in our midst