Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can put in the occasional Chicken Boo. Just not all the time. But the following bits should not return:

Hip Hippos
Buttons and Mindy
Goodfeathers
Rita and Runt

Just write all new bits to replace these, and then replace those bits too.

It’s an ensemble/sketch show, it needs a wide breadth and depth of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Slappy was great. I actually liked her shorts probably the most of all the segments. Yes, including Pinky & The Brain and the Warners.

So you wanna ditch one of the more fun bits but keep poo poo like the kid who told rambling stories about his buddy?

I mean, sure, kill those too. The listed bits were the most common bits that I could think of killing off the top of my head. They’ve done other bits that could be retired too but I’m phone posting and not about to make an exhaustive list. The point is to keep making new bits and material and let the chaff of the past go away.

Slappy Squirrel gets another go because it produced the best Who’s on First riff ever made and it deserves to come back for that chance at greatness again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

BioEnchanted posted:

Also for the dude looking for great cartoons - Men In Black the series. I got around to watching the first 3 series last year (heard 4 was bad though) and they were fantastic - really builds on the established canon. Also Vincent D'Nofrio reprises his role - as EVERY BUG THAT APPEARS in the show. They're all him, but with distinct voices, and they're all hilarious. Also the episode with the Arquillians dealing with their opposing race (they are in a conflict with some dudes on a planet across the solar system from them because the other guys are jealous that Arquillia is slightly bigger than theirs) is super well done, it really lays on just how out of his depth the Arquillian is, because he's the viewpoint character for that story.

One of the best theme songs of the 90s.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
"The head writer of ATLA" could mean several things Do they mean Aaron Ehasz? It would be his first shot at being a show runner/creator.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/16/she-ra-see-photos-noelle-stevenson/

She-Ra's looking pretty rad.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Gravity Falls GN is great. Posters on this forum will appreciate the page where the :v: emoticon shows up.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Hilda is nice enough. If you like color treatments, you'll love the aesthetic. It's very English. It's not ha-ha funny like Craig or Star, but it does have that kind of dry British wit. The elf character and their culture with bureaucracy is probably the funniest element of the show. The actual plot is decent enough. Nothing too surprising, but I can easily see it growing if it gets a few more seasons.

Agreed with the "it's not very challenging" bit. There is a foundation to take several of the things it lays out and actually do something challenging, though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
We Bare Bears also has a halloween special out and one of the bits has special guest star Alex Hirsch playing an obvious homage to himself. It's glorious.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Hilda is worth it for the color treatments alone. It won't make you think very hard, but it's still a good watch.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The back half of Ladybubs season 2 has been considerably better than the first half. We're finally getting to the fireworks factory and it's wonderful.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'd love to get an extended version of the Hot Pepper song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDnPMaiT0E

Robert Morse as Santa Claus also gets a great song later in the series too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
She-Ra is definitely a slower burn. The heavier/deeper stuff doesn't come in until post-Princess Prom but they still had to do those mission-of-the-week episodes to set the table for that.

It was a good start, a B/B+ show. Needs improvement in some areas but still a good watch.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
RIP Stephen Hillenburg, creator of Spongebob Squarepants and board artist/director/writer on Rocko's Modern Life.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-dead-dies-stephen-hillenburg-1203037362/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes me think it's the kinda show that done well might be a lot like the new DuckTales in being a less ironic Venture Bros.

I'm hoping for something like Lupin the Third, without the lechery. Lupin's not really a bad guy, he's just on the wrong side of Zenigata. Carmen could slot into this kind of gentlewoman thief role very easily.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Senerio posted:

So Carmen Sandiego came out today. I'm liking it so far.

I watched the first two-parter this morning. It's good, but I'm waiting to finish the series before making any final judgments. I'm really happy that (end of episode 2 spoiler) they got Rita Moreno back with a passing of the torch..

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

The_Doctor posted:

The Boston accents can go jump off a bridge though.

New Zack and Ivy were hits in our group precisely because they're from Southie and we know people just like them.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Zack and Ivy needed some more character time but I can see if they were unsure about renewal that it would get cut. Hopefully we get more about them in season 2 to round them out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

This is brilliant, please keep up with it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There's also the convention circuit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity though, did Roger Craig Smith (his current actor in the games) voice Sonic in the aforementioned OK KO episode?

Yes, the current game VAs of Sonic and Tails were in it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gaunab posted:

The Looney Tunes sitcom show was so bad. It's only redeeming quality was Kristen Wiig.

It did give us Daffy the Wizard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Applewhite posted:

So, Ducktales is super great and all, but if Magica DeSpell had a billion dollars to donate to Glomgold's scheme, why was she working at Chuck E. Cheeze's?

Ah, but it wasn't a billion dollars, it was a billion dead souls! :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

I don't understand how anyone can hate this. I was cracking up through the whole thing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Season 3 trailer for The Dragon Prince dropped. They've definitely come a long way in the animation department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqpvV81_kk

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Kipo was a great watch. Scratched a lot of ATLA season one itches. I hope we get the next batch of episodes very soon.

Re: Scarlemagne, what a delightful villain. He's Dr. Zaius without any kind of moral compass. They tease out just enough of his backstory to make you both sympathize and hate him. His plans also work pretty well, with believable successes and failures. More, please!

I think the biggest laugh was Benson and his newfound love at first sight with the bishie bubbles and music going on. The fact that it was mutual made it even funnier.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really like Tangled. Cass is awesome and she has an incredible singing voice.
But to be honest, a lot of the episodes felt like filler. But lately the engine is roaring at a lot of power.

Because they do 26 eps a season, you wind up with a bit of filler. Season 2 I thought did a better job at making the filler plot relevant, but the filler ends up being mostly character stuff.

Even though the filler is average most of the time, the high points the show hits are worth the investment. It's the TV show version of "Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in again!" Especially when they have a two parter with a few Alan Menken songs. Hopefully the back half of season 3 continues the trend of cashing in the setup they've put forward with Cassandra and Rapunzel and they stick the landing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

BioEnchanted posted:

I've actually started watching the Tangled series, onto episode 6, and I love that the royals get real personalities. The King isn't just controlling, he's specifically still suffering from the trauma of having his daughter stolen and keeps reliving it in times of stress, legitimate PTSD so of course he's making decisions that make sense, but risk turning him into a mother Gothel figure himself, and the Queen is quite impish in a way, but also more stern due to experience, she's a more mature version of Rapunzel who has learned how to balance her urges with what's needed of her. I liked her conversation with Eugene when he turns himself in as the man who stole her ring 8 years ago, and she quite clearly points out that she can't forgive him because it was a very traumatic experience for her, but she is willing to lie for him so the King doesn't tear him apart because she recognises that he is a different man now. They do a great job of making them fairly rounded people.

Edit: OK, the King's pretty funny too "I MUST PARTAKE!" sold me.

Will be curious what your take on Queen for a Day is.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks for the tip on the album, I know what I'm listening to on the drive home tonight :toot:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

specifically aliasing problems or actual animation problems like low frame rates? there is a bit of the latter (but only in certain scenes per episode, especially in the first season), but as far technical issues like aliasing, i don't think there should be. are you watching on a 4k monitor? that might do it. the show was broadcast in SD, but they had blu-ray releases as well (though i'm not sure if they actually were proper HD footage or just up-res'd).

The Netflix transfer is the same one they put up in 2011 or so that has very bad and noticeable interlacing artifacts on any kind of motion. It's visible even on a 1080p television because it wasn't a good conversion. The animation itself is fine, it's the video quality that is bad. I haven't compared it against the DVD box set I have, but the Blu-ray version is at least an upscale of a non-interlaced source and doesn't have those artifacts.

The show wasn't produced in HD so an upscale's the best you can hope for.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

so i finished season 1 of TLA. a couple of thoughts:

- good gravy, the video quality of the netflix episodes fluctuates MASSIVELY. as been mentioned, the first couple of episodes are an absolute mess with aliasing, interlacing, dropped frames and all kinds of noise. the three-part finale with the attack on the northern water tribe on the other hand, are absolutely PRISTINE. they look utterly beautiful. i swear, it looks like a show that was animated recently. the series had great art design throughout, but the 3-part finale has some of my favorite. the northern water tribe architecture is so clean and cool looking. just overall, a visual smorgasbord.

Depending on when you started watching, netflix just recently updated to the hi-def rescans in the past week. Even though the quality did improve as S1 went on in the old versions, the new ones should be significantly better in all episodes.

Of course, they updated just after I finished doing my entire series rewatch, so...

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 27, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, seriously? i thought they lost the high quality versions?

Netflix is now using the rescans/upsamples from the blu-rays. Netflix didn't have this version to begin with until a week ago, since when it initially returned it was using Netflix's old 2011-ish version which was poor rips of the 480i DVDs.

While the show wasn't originally aired in HD, they have higher quality master material than what went out on SD TV.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 28, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

good to hear. though i wonder why they didn't use them right at the start?

The less charitable reading was that they didn't think people would notice/care and didn't do it until people were complaining (I know a lot of people on twitter were complaining about the video quality). The more charitable one is that they decided to put it up anyway until they had the HQ material in their system.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ups_rail posted:

For some reason I think I d like a reboot of Jem and the holigrams

Go read Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell's run of the Jem Comics and its associated acts.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

AlternateNu posted:

And not by just anybody. She's voiced by Mindy Sterling (who was also Lin Beifong) :eng101:

And the villain was voiced by Peter MacNicol, better known as X The Eliminator.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Carmen Sandiego show was a Kevn Dart production as far as visual design goes. He’s long produced animation in that style. It was also a Chromosphere production, while Tangled was Mercury Filmworks.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It has its moments. The modern show cribs a lot from it while doing its own thing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Kenan’s final skit on SNL should be Pierre Escargot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

.Z. posted:

No clue as to the real reason for producing in PAL. I'm guessing that was what the creators of Reboot wanted. Gavin Blair, Ian Pearson, Phil Mitchell, and John Grace (who are also 4 of 5 of the Mainframe Studio co-founders) are all from the UK which is PAL. They might have also decided the hassle of conversion was worth being able to output at the best image quality possible.

PAL is also 20% fewer frames per second, and therefore less rendering time. For direct-to-digital CGI TV in the 90s that time really added up.

D-1 is a tricky format, a DV-2000 or -2100 isn’t cheap and they’re part of a whole system. Their best bet is to contact an archive house producer. Hopefully someone like Discotek hears about this and gets in touch.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know the PAL standard was a 50 fps signal and NTSC 60 fps, but aren't most television programs only 24fps regardless? (And most animated kids shows only 12 fps with some sequences like the opening credits and more exciting scenes being at 24)

You’re thinking of interlaced fields/refresh rate. NTSC is 29.97 FPS, PAL is 25, but that translates to 59.something Hz and 50Hz.

And although animated shows are usually done on the twos (or sometimes threes), you still have to render out all the actual filmed (or video) frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
All the Fire Nation kids, even Zuko, have a bit of a baby face thing going on. But if the show is given time to run through its story, they’ll grow into the roles.