Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
halfway through and its pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

So everything Leo did he was manipulated into doing by isher and his wife, but how much of what savine was doing was her being manipulated by ishri? It's pretty much confirmed that Zuri is actually ishri, khaluls agent in the north

how is this “pretty much confirmed”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
glokta’s disfigurement wasnt from being defeated in battle, though. he was tortured by the gurkish for who knows how long. there are definitely parallels to be drawn between him and leo but i dont expect similar results

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Well his leg wound and hatred of stairs was from battle

sure but thats hardly gloktas defining characteristic

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
broad is definitely going to end up killing the wrong person because of his bad eyes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sharp ends is my favorite of the series

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
donofrio here

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
blizzard loves when other people use their horde/alliance symbols, straight up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Haven’t gotten very far, but my thoughts up until this point is that Joe Abercrombie has a really idealistic notion of what a revolution really looks like. If it were that easy to get soldiers to put down their weapons and not follow orders to fire on crowds, capitalism would have ceased to exist a long long time ago.

Especially professional soldiers, who become attached to the ruling classes in interests, and even more so when those professional soldiers are attached to a long established social narrative like a monarchy.

you really havent gotten very far lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, no I haven’t. It’s just the whole set of scenes with professional Union soldiers opening city the gates of Adua to let in a mass of revolutionaries, refusing orders to fire on said revolutionaries, then the kings own opening the gates of the Agriont, and also refusing orders to fire on the crowd, made me think…

If only the world really worked like that, and professional volunteer soldiers could be almost universally be relied on to shoot down people in the streets…the world would be a much better place.

Ad a trained political theorist and historian, it was just a totally unbelievable set of scenes for me.

well, keep reading

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i was expecting rikke to stupidly try to take over the union using orso as a puppet lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

One thing I was half expecting to happen that didn't was Ninefingers showing up. Seemed like a long shot but there's a chapter in this book that ends with his name dropped, a few references to the spot where he "died" in the original trilogy, and one of the characters recalls being inspired by his tenacity as Lamb. He'd have to be pretty old by now but I wonder if he'll show up in the future, seeing as he's not confirmed dead yet.

i was hoping for this but only slightly disappointed it didnt happen

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tofu Injection posted:

Yeah this. especially since most all of the old guard were in this trilogy to die. It was very Abercrombie, but if Logen showed up just to get iced by some rando I'd be kinda bummed.

i was hoping he would just be around in the background or something. i miss him

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sharp ends was so good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i thought it was more of a riff on the chinese cultural revolution but im not very educated on either one

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

In the scene just after he gets free of the tower and just before Leo fucks him over, he makes a proclamation that includes 'For the many, not the few', one of Corbyns slogans. Fairly sure it's an explicit reference since there were a few instances of 'Make x great again' peppered through this trilogy.

yeah, it is an explicit reference —- to star trek: the wrath of khan

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sharp ends is still my favorite

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

I'm gonna get a little C-SPAM IK in here if that's ok: I'm about a quarter of the way through The Wisdom Of Crowds, and so far it's really bothering me how contemptuous the book appears to be of the concept of populism in general. I had a whole long post about this in my head, but seeing the number of spoiler blocks ITT I'm trying to remind myself there's a lot of book left to read.

It's just kind of annoying me how a series which is usually obsessed with showing all sides of every conflict, and which has had a scathing attitude toward oligarchy up to this point, appears to be presenting a popular revolution exclusively through the eyes of characters who hate the entire concept and always have, with the exception of Broad, who hasn't been a true believer since halfway through book 1 and now mostly just wants to go home and never talk to anyone ever again. The revolutionaries themselves, when depicted at all, are just kind of a mindless baying mob? Their leaders are symbolism-obsessed narcissists, with the exception of Pike, whose crusade against Valint & Balk is depicted as bad and wrongheaded somehow despite the fact that... it's actually a really good idea? We haven't actually seen any of the Breakers' original grievances expressed in detail since halfway through book 1. Is this gonna turn around or is there gonna be a staunch anti-populist overtone throughout?

i would have thought that being a cspam ik would have given you some perspective on the idea of the vast majority of populist revolutionaries being violent buffoons with delusions of grandeur

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

loquacius posted:

My whole "thing" is being really fed up with pedantic condescending centrists who acknowledge the existence of problems but exclusively shoot down every real or hypothetical attempt to actually address them in a meaningful way

A lot of the problems with Risinau/Judge (obsessed with purely symbolic changes to the complete exclusion of making even the slightest attempt at material ones) are criticisms that could quite easily be made of centrist leaders in my personal and humble opinion of course

your preconceived notions about where the characters would align if they were transplanted into modern american politics, and vice versa, seem to be distracting you from the content of the book youre reading

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Randallteal posted:

After taking a short break I ploughed through The Heroes, Red Country, and the new trilogy. I liked them all better than Best Served Cold, which is definitely my least favorite Abercrombie book. Red Country was my favorite of the stand alones. The new trilogy started out really strong, but I thought Savine, Rikke and Broad's stories got less interesting with each book (especially Broad, who was one of my faves in A Little Hatred and became so flat and uninteresting by The Wisdom of Crowds), and I never liked Leo much to begin with. After the end of the original trilogy I wanted to see what was next for all of the main characters, but after this new one I feel like I've already seen enough of most of the new generation. Still really liked the first two books though.

I don't have a setting preference, but for the next book(s) I'm hoping for: 1) no big twists at the end that invalidate everything you knew about a character / what they've been doing, 2) no union vs north war (just gone to the well too many times), and 3) no characters with a bloody past trying to better themselves but they love violence too much (ditto).

you didnt read sharp ends????

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dont skip Sharp Ends, its my favorite

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

no, and dont skip Sharp Ends

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Social Animal posted:

Cool thanks guys I'll grab BSC. The trilogy books were just so perfect for reading before bed. A little dangerous though when that "just one more chapter" hits when you really need to turn the light off and sleep.

I didn't even see this one, looks cool. Should I get on this after the standalone stories or does it not matter? I like catching references.

read it after the novels for sure. its my favorite book of his, every story is great

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cosca should be a tall, thin italian man. im thinking john turturro

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like the new trilogy a little less than the old trilogy, but thats mostly due to the high water mark of logen ninefingers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my favorite is sharp ends. i love how abercrombie crafts stories that he knows he doesnt have to finish, and i think hes strongest in single chapters/short stories

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

This may be old news but it looks like we're getting new short stories in a few days?

oh hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
logen ninefingers sits with geralt of rivia and conan the cimmerian in my holy trinity of dangerous pathos-ridden fantasy novel protagonists with swords. hes so compelling. i might have to reread the first trilogy