Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, there's no way Orso is getting a happy ending in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vichan posted:

I love guillotines.

"At least it isn't a bloody hanging"

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

Well, the book comes out in a week. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, both so I enjoy it more and because my whole view of The First Law books hinges on Joe doing something a bit different with this latest trilogy. I swear if this book ends with Bayaz once again triumphant, no concessions made, the little people broken underneath his ageless heel then I will... still read any future books, but think less of their thematic ambition.

I feel like it is going to be a little different at least.

I'm just hoping my boy Orso comes out okayish or at least gets to go "at least it isn't a hanging" when they guillotine him.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Suxpool posted:

not all that happy with how things ended up for a lot of characters but that's been a common enough theme for these books

i enjoyed parts of it greatly, as i have with all of his books barring the YA novels, but i thought this one especially was a bit predictable for someone who's read his previous works. i feel like he kinda recycled the some of the plotlines from book 2 straight into book 3 and his theft of the joker's "you wanna know how i got these scars" into judge's "you know why they call me judge" bit was really just hamfisted and disappointing

i guess it's nice that he set up more sequels but i'm seriously bummed i'll never get any more orso

Deep down I knew Orso was gonna get got but man he gets just hosed. At least he went out razzing Leo, the fucker. Hildi will have her revenge.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm, I am not sure I agree with one of the takes:

I wouldn't say Leo comes out entirely on top at the end. Yes, he is regent. But he is a miserable crippled bastard (Glotka 2.0, now with a metal leg) who got outmaneuvered by Savine at the end. Even Orso gets a good shot in before his execution. Finree is clearly done with him as well after all that bullshit.

Savine honestly comes out much better except for the whole Orso being dead thing. Zuri being something weird was something I figured after it is said Glotka was the one who arranged for her to be around.

Also I honestly enjoyed Sulfur getting got, the fucker.

But yeah I was rooting for Orso to at least survive in exile but so much for that. Poor Tunny.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Totally agree on this. Calder getting duped so easily goes against everything we've seen and been told about the character. You build him up as this canny counter to his brother and his son's impetuousness in the previous books, and then have him just get effortlessly crushed? And where the hell was Bayaz during all of this? His only response to losing his grip on both the North and the Union was a few veiled threats and sending Sulfur on a murder mission when the damage was already done? I mean, it kills all of the subtle menace that has been built up around the character.

One thing to remember is that Calder is a canny schemer but the only reason he doesn't die half a dozen times in Heroes is Bayaz pulling the strings. He pays off Tenways and Stranger and the two other northmen who save Calder from his father in law trying to off him. Shivers is just a lucky accident because gently caress Dow.

I think he should have been more suspicious of what was going on but Rikke also had his son. And then executes Stout and drops the corpse at his feet.

Part of the issue with Bayaz is that all of his usual levers get ripped out by the Breakers. Sulfur is ol' reliable but he's only one Eater and everything is on fire. And the few times he tries multiple characters tell him to gently caress off.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, but if anything Gorst actually learned from his mistake after he fucks up in Sipani and heroically murders his way back into Jezal's good graces. He takes Finree's absolutely vicious (though well-earned) kick to his already sad brain in stride and serves two kings with distinction losing one to a loving wizard and almost losing another one because he was ordered to take the day off. Just 25+ years of continuous, zealous and competent service with his only reward being mocked relentlessly for his voice.

I find it hard to believe that this dude, thrust into the position as the king's last sworn competent sword chooses that moment to have a sad and commit suicide by Anglander. Seems a lazy way to get some action. Way better and brutal in my mind for Orso to have to send him away because everyone in town knows him and anyone not a burner from the sticks would recognize instantly him as Orso's loyal punchline.

Honestly I am not hating on this.

Gorst gets to go out on his own terms, serving his king to the end. It's similar to how he watched Jalehorn or whatever his name was die in Heroes. That guy died with "redemption" all over his face.

Also this way he makes Leo poo poo himself until Jurand steps in and gets the last dig before dying as well.

Edit: I would love another Sharp Ends with Javre and Shev just going "gently caress gently caress gently caress" in revolutionary Adua.

Also shout out to my boy Temple getting a name drop in drafting the updated Union government. Savine paying for the best.

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2021

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

The wizards are going to be surprised by how far technology has come along I think. Otoh there's that Dragon Engine so maybe not. Does anyone remember if Yoru sabotaged the train or was that explosion an actual accident?

The Breakers did that if I recall correctly, Yoru was there to make sure the bank got it's hands into the railroad business. Ended up being good timing to save Orso since Gorst had the day off!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Crespolini posted:

Savine and Leo were both there, and when they're in private afterwards they talk about him being dead. That would be a very cheap fakeout.

Yeah, he's dead. A fakeout honestly would ruin the book I think.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I should have known better

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Magitek posted:

I think the discussion came up earlier in the thread regarding Red Country, but personally I really liked the way Cosca was utilized in the story. With the possible exception of the last 1-2 pages he appears on, he’s the exact same person we had seen in previous books. What changes is perspective — this story is written by people who are victimized by his merry band of amoral mercenaries, rather than the fellow mercs or the people who hire them.

Yeah, it's this. The other books are with the Cosca cannon aimed away from you. In Red County the main cast have it pointed right at them and it's a whole different feeling.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress yeah. I loved Sharp Ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that was good but also short as gently caress, dang.