Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
seconding all the love for the First law books and i really like the way the magic system was set up. magic is just bad news and gives weight to the fact the first law is essentially dont do magic the other side is full of crazy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Evfedu posted:

Last Argument of Kings spoilers: West had to die, from the moment he beat the poo poo out of his sister. Pushing Ladisla off a cliff just kinda sealed the deal, the man was just too angry to live. It was pretty fitting that he was eaten away from the inside by a wasting illness, even.

I had thought, the diamond in the blackness was Glokta getting into power. If you can rely on anyone to work selflessly, it's him.

Thats the saddest part about him though, he wanted with every fiber of his being to be a good guy he was just too angry :(

Zasze fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 26, 2011

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
well if he isnt dead hes about a step away and a shattered shell of his former self far worse than even glotka at his lowest.

also byaz owns for all the right wrong reasons

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Ballsworthy posted:

Only one choice for Bayaz

^
is what i pictured bayaz as unconsciously

I was kinda iffy throughout the blade itself until i got to Logan straight up murdering all those practicals. i mean the book wasnt bad it just hadnt grabbed me until that point, it's probally one of the better fantasy fight scenes ive ever read.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 27, 2010

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
^
bayaz rant idk man its pretty clear that bayaz is the true bad guy hes not cackling evil bad but if there was a villain in my opinion its defiantly bayaz.You can kinda piece together how Khalul broke the second law so he could fight bayaz on more even ground.

if you look at them from a who has what point of view, bayaz uses the makers house as a one stop shop for crazy poo poo to parry and strike at Khalul. he also built a nation around the makers house to defend it and all that stuff in the north with bethod was probably bayaz attempting to expand the union. the way of all the other students of juvens and the makers daughter act towards him paint him pretty negatively.

he also employs eaters of his own so its not like he can say hes abiding by the laws himself.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

cheese posted:

I think its insinuated that you can use the eating of human flesh to gain powers, but its more of a tool that you need to know how to use rather than 'Joe the Baker eats his customer and suddenly is awesome at everything'.

Im guessing its just the sheer amount, i mean the hundred words were eating entire villages down in gurkish territory it seemed

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
First Law and BSC spoilers

Shenkt is rather boring as a stand alone character in BSC but the wrench in both the Prophets and Bayaz's power struggle is a really cool event in the meta story that's kinda going on behind the scenes.

Also I doubt shenkt is really that much of a threat when up against anything else but lone eaters from either of the big players. Having him be a jaded former follower of Bayaz was a nice reveal since it kinda mimics the readers feelings after the end of LAOK's.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
The ending to first law was really satisfying and enjoyable I defiantly recommend the series to anyone who likes grrm.

In regards to people deserving their fates though

Other than glotka getting crippled before the story even starts nothing bad really happens to him and his story is clawing his way to the top of the inquisition. He even gets that weird relationship with wests sister taking care of him and anyone in the know fears him as the real power behind the union sure he is just another of bayaz puppets but he's better off than most people especially west and all those who got magic radiation sicness.

Even bayaz gets visibly younger maybe even stronger by mucking with the key to the gate between worlds.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 10, 2011

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Whirrun of Bligh making sandwiches all day everyday a true hero.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I Marathoned The Heroes awesome book and as ive come to expect from Abercrombie he writes a hell of a fight scene. I really enjoyed the book however it does feel alot like Best Served Cold where your left wanting more and that by the time you warm up to the new cast the book is over.

Also while it was a little strange I really enjoyed how the perspective would change alot mid battle with kind of a tag match between no name characters killing each other and then getting killed, the perspective following the killer each time. It was impressive that things still seemed to make sense and progress while flipping around all over the place.

I would have to disagree with that amazon review some of the characters were rather shallow but you get some cool insight into Black dow and Calder was alot more interesting than he seemed in the trilogy.

If anyone feels this is spoilerish ill edit it out.

also Cosca was awesome in BSC

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
its when gorst is sizing up wirrun and describes the father of swords kinda snuck in there.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Well the whole reason bayaz wanted him was because he could talk to spirits I dont think thats much of a spoiler because its stated pretty early in the first book.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

I don't think of ruthlessness as a motive or a driving force. I don't think greed is his real motive either, I think he's addicted to the chase after money, danger, and fame which could make for a compelling character.

My problem with Cosca is that he's so unrealistically and comically flamboyant that it jerks my suspension of disbelief. Jerks it real good.

I Dont know about that nothing he does is really "unrealistic" I think he fits the bill of a very charismatic but ultimately unlikable person very well.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Blind Melon posted:

Don't forg Friendly! Spergy sociopath with a hidden soft side.

Luv 2 :dice:

Friendly was a pretty awesome character, he was the ultimate straight man to anyone's crazy schemes.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

SavTargaryen posted:

The Heroes is also kinda lighter, which is weird, because it's dark as gently caress but I didn't get the same sense of entirely awful characters. Also, and I keep saying it, but Whirrun is the fuckin' best. "I call it a cheesetrap."

I like how it was implied that wirruns sword that was so legendary and scary was just a regular maker claymore so it was light as gently caress and sharp rather than magic or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Blind Melon posted:

To be fair, a sword which is light, crazy sharp and always remains that way is straight up magical. Just because the Maker could mass produce magic swords does not make them any less magical.

I guess I always viewed the makers stuff as being just crazy technology or advanced metallurgy than actually magical but I suppose its a dumb distinction to make within the setting :shobon: