Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Abercrombie has a few really hard to forget characters to me: Ninefingers, Shivers, Gorst, Bayaz, Monza. They have really well developed arcs, he spends a lot more time on the individual characters, they're relentlessly interesting. He's also got some really boring characters like Glokta who just feels like a mishmash of cliches, but the ratio of good to bad characters is pretty good. I think Erikson has a huge slew of awesome characters (Shadowthrone, Iskaral Pust, Kruppe, all the Boles, Karsa, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Tehol and Bugg, Hellian, Icarium, Ublala Pung, Envy and Spite, etc) but most of them don't get as much time dedicated to them as one of Abercrombie's characters does. Overall the good to boring character ratio is probably a little worse with Erikson because he just has such a huge mass of disposable characters. Both authors own, but they're doing such different things that it's not fair to compare them too closely.

So far as I'm concerned, your opinion on Glokta invalidates the rest of that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Cardiac posted:

So we get the teen version of Bloody-Nine?
At least we won't get the teen version of Glokta, considering he is neutered.

On this, which characters are actually viable for having kids.

Clearly what we need is the spawn of Ninefingers and Ferro.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

The image I have of Logan is basically Ron Perlman.

I usually go with Mickey Rourke's character from Sin City, Marv, but Perlman works well too.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Rurik posted:

Teenage supernatural romance, by Joe Abercrombie.

If it ends as well as all the other relationships he writes, I'd buy it.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Above Our Own posted:

You know one thing I love about Abercrombie? no loving songs

Ninefingers threatened to sing a song in Before They Were Hanged, but Bayaz denied us the pleasure. I'd never considered the Lord of the Rings connection before.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Pike actually acknowledges that he knew West from the war. They discussed it during the second book as I recall. Said he was a good man to go talk to if you needed something, or something along those lines.

And to be fair, Glokta didn't recognise Rews until he had a knife at his throat, which is as good a time as any to run through your list of enemies that are still alive.

ed: Also, it was Jezal who was at the open council meeting and recognized Rews. He had had dealings with his father and was justifiably concerned.

Braking Gnus fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

West definitely brought him up in a conversation with Glokta, I thought he was present as well, and was trying to make Glokta feel guilty. They were certainly in the same unit. Maybe I misread the situation, I know that Jezal also knew who he was.

Definitely, but I always read it as them swapping old war stories. I don't remember any mention of West in the open council meeting. Its certainly possible I just missed the reference though, I'm not the deepest of readers.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe he's only halfway through the second book.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm about a third through the second book and I don't know if I can take any more Jezal POV chapters. Please just loving die.

His attitude should start changing shortly, if that's the problem.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Having to spoil stuff is irritating, no question. But when you see totally unrelated threads recommend The First Law series, like the US politics thread was doing a few days ago, you see the importance. Throwing around uncovered spoilers in here and ruining someone's realization of What's Really Going On ought to be a crime. Remember that dawning "Oh poo poo!" feeling you got when everything came together? What kind of monster wants to take that away from people.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
How many major characters in these books shouldn't be executed for the good of society? I mean, think about it. Dogman, Gorst, maybe Jezal and Shy. Anyone else not a blight on humanity?

Jezal making that list after the influences he was under is pretty entertaining though.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

I can definitely second the Locke Lamore books recommendation. The later books dont drop off in quality, they just have a slightly different theme every time. The first book is essentially a heist/revenge film, the second is swashbuckling navy action, and the third is about electioneering. This leads some people to like certain books more than others depending on their taste. The main characters are always great throughout though.

The third one actually came out? Last I had heard the author went nuts and it was never happening. Have to add that to my list now.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also holding up his 4-fingered hand and Glama Golden realizing right then that he's going to die.

The greatest scene in the book. If that didn't give you chills I'm forced to conclude you're a robot.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, sorry, that had nothing to do with the discussion at all. I just felt it needed to be said. Should have added that to the end.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Abercrombie's point of view fuckery is awesome. I loved that scene in The Heroes where it would follow a guy, until he got killed, and then follow the guy who killed him, and so on and so forth. Until it ended with Bremer Dan Gorst being a badass motherfucker.

Most scenes in The Heroes end with Bremer being a badass though.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Vichan posted:

Do we know when exactly Malacus gets it?

He's the body found half eaten in the first book near the castle right?

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Ferro is who was referenced there. Came up for sure in the second book. May have been implied earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
I wasn't crazy about Red Country, but the big one on one fight and reveal was amazing and worth the reread every time.