Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of Handomse Ralph today

https://us.cnn.com/2019/02/15/success/remote-work-maintain-culture/index.html

quote:

Opting for a 100% remote staff isn't just a money saver, it also expands the talent pool a company can dip into and helps boost retention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Our maintenance staff hosed up the wiring when doing routine electrical repairs and now all the light switches on the first floor of my building are somehow wired together. Everybody knows this by now and yet somehow the lights still go out about a dozen times a day because somebody exiting a conference room or bathroom turned the lights off out of reflex.

The most synergistic office.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's chair.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are there even any restaurants near the Apple campus?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Torak will obviously have better insight, but AFAIK Italy is kind of a dark horse for the EU welfare state, where a lot of the stuff that works in other countries is just totally stymied by higher levels of inefficiency and corruption.

Spain and Portugal have similar problems, and Greece was the extreme example of "good intentions, bad results" with the state completely buckling under the high costs of its extensive welfare protections.

Just to be clear, I'm 100% in favor of the social net and welfare, but that kind of system relies on the government being transparent and efficient in the application of its resources and conversely the citizenry paying taxes willingly and fully.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I didn't realize that you're in Italy. Yeah, the employee/employer relationships are completely different in the USA as are some of the workplace social issues. Most of this thread's posters are in the USA so that's why we all reacted the way we did.

Berlusconi's philandering and embezzling puts Trump to shame and he was essentially a national hero until (and even after) he bankrupted the country.

Culture is different there, is what I'm saying.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Please don’t falsify federal government documents

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Serious answer, if your office has an outside area and the weather's nice, be outside as much as possible. Being inside during the summer is always the most depressing part of working in an office. Listen to a podcast or read a book or just walk around or take your laptop if you can't afford to look like you're literally not doing anything.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a new, 100% WFH job and they sent me a laptop with 1366 * 768 resolution and 8gb RAM in TYOOL 2022. This has to be illegal, somehow.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Are you required to use that laptop? I would seriously consider looking for another new job if I was required to use hardware that lovely. You could hook it up to an external monitor to get a better resolution, but with 8 Gb ram I hope you're not doing much on it besides reviewing documents.

Yeah, it's just document review and I have an external monitor so it should be OK, it was just funny booting it up and I kept thinking maybe my glasses were dirty or something until it clicked what was happening.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

in a well actually posted:

bottom tier hp/dell/lenovo laptops are a sign the it manager reports to the cfo

It's 100% something like this. it's a fairly recent Latitude with a decent processor, it honestly feels like it cost more for Dell to make them like this.

It's fine for my purposes as long as I have a real monitor, so whatever.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

When my laptop upgrade was low on ram I pulled out the company credit card and bought as much as the laptop could handle. When it was too slow and IT told me I was not due for an upgrade, I told them my hard drive was making occasional clicking noises, and got an upgrade within a week.

"Wait, this laptop has an SSD."

"Too late, suckers!"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna make my job at Old Man very awkward

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Will do. To add more fun, now my system audio doesn't work instead! :v:

Congrats on your new Linux machine.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Day 1 of new employment. I have had my onboarding meeting. I have watched my mandatory training videos. The two learning paths were actually the same topics covered by two different people who said exactly the same thing.

Three hours to go.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For whatever reason, the mandatory trainings I had to watch include a) instructions on how to use the self-rating system that was discontinued years ago, and b) guidelines for managers (which I am not) on how to perform associate evaluations, which explicitly tells them that if their associates are ranked too low, it's probably because they're bad managers (I'm exaggerating, of course, but that's essentially the message).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Extremely disappointed the Teams/Outlook outage was short and ended before I started my day. What a tease!!

Love that our IT team sent out a "WE'VE IDENTIFIED AND FIXED THE PROBLEM" for something that was completely out of their control.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

My first manager was pretty blunt about hiring me (like a year after I started, I mean) because I had a pulse and was available for immediate start. His dept had a surprise resignation and he knew a hiring freeze was coming, so his #1 priority was to get a warm body in the seat so he wouldn't lose the headcount. It was pure luck for both of us that I ended up being OK at the job.

My manager is so palpably relieved that I’m not a loving idiot. She clearly has PTSD from whatever happened with whoever I’m replacing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What's it like working at Barstool Sports?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
GP Aaayyy *does the Fonz at the interviewer*

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is absolutely a vent post, but I'm also interested in the perspective of people here who are in people management positions.

I started two weeks ago at this new role, with the first week being mostly onboarding. This is an entry level role at 1000+ people organization, and pays reasonably well. I was told my work would be QCed for at least month

During this week I had three days where my manager was extremely happy with what I was turning in, and then one bad day where I made several minor mistakes.

On Friday I had a 1-on-1 and was told that I needed to "slow down" and just really learn the process, which is absolutely fair feedback.

They also said that this is exactly what got the last person "offboarded", "this client is very particular and has a low tolerance for errors", and that "error free work is crucial for making it in this industry".

Again, the "slow down" feedback is absolutely fair, but it also felt kind of a dick move to have my first real feedback session be "you gotta start being perfect ASAP or you're not gonna make it here". Isn't the point of QCing giving me some space to gently caress up in a safe environment?

I think what annoyed me the most was that my manager said "it's almost harder to know how to handle you because you turned very good work, and then started making mistakes". Isn't that just a display of potential?

Again, mostly just venting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To be 100% fair I took it more as a warning from her, not a threat. At no point was she aggressive or demeaning, and I really think she’s trying to look out for me, but the net effect was kind of the same.

Why even mention the offboarded employee or my future in the industry, even with good intentions?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 5, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m unfortunately stuck with this job for now, given my resume, and honestly I like the work itself and the work-life balance it offers, so hopefully I’ll git gud fast enough for this not to be a problem, but I’m glad that I wasn’t just blowing it up in my head.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Haha, no, different sector.

Fortunately, my general work conditions are really good (so far) so it’s not like I’m having to clock in 80 hours a week at the dick punching test lab.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Gotta attend those Sun-up meetings.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
From Smart Missiles to SMART Goals.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh no

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7177835472167783685

This could have literally been a screen recording of my first few calls with my manager except replace HR with IT.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My manager is just the worst at giving feedback.

“You’re doing a really good job, if that’s something you need to hear.”

How does anyone even come up with that phrase?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just embed it in a compliance training document and no one will ever notice it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny that the people who are good at excel are always suburban dads who don’t understand poo poo about computers but are happily writing thousands of lines of code in VBA or recording janky-rear end Macros on which the financial future entire companies depend.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
JFC 7-week notice?

I’m all for not burning bridges but man…

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Love that every IT interaction in this company starts with them forcing a Group Policy update on my computer which takes 5-10 minutes before they can do anything else

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You will be shocked to hear that the policy update did not fix the problem.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Locking down the ability to turn off touchpad tap-to-click via Group Policy is some next level IT assholery.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
“This is just a job, it’s not worth stressing about.”

“There is no room for errors with this client.”

I appreciate that my manager somehow manages to hold these two points of view simultaneously.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool, because the client for the new team I'm being assigned to is a special snowflake, we are being assigned special snowflake laptops for all work to be done for them.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In the US we call them the Fourier Seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
“dpkg chopra, on your 4th day of work you made a minor mistake. Later, another person made a minor mistake and this compounded into a medium mistake.

Even though it never happened again and you’ve already changed your workflow, do you have any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future?”

“Actually, yeah, if we could just make a minor tweak to our internal ticketing system it would prevent this and similar errors.”

“Oh, no, that would cost money. Just spend more time triple-checking to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”