Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

You get your money back, not new money.

I have to do expenses every month and it can be tedious if I've been on a long field project. For whatever reason, my company has decided that professional staff will not get per diem and will just expense meals and whatnot. They also won't give us a corporate card, even though I know these things exist because I've seen folks higher up the totem pole use them. This is fine if you don't do much traveling or field work, but when you spend a solid month away from home in a hotel and are eating out for two meals a day, that's a loving ton of receipts at the end of the month.

Just use Expensify or something. Put the app on your phone, snap a picture of every receipt your get as you go (or forward it to expensify if the receipt is in email). More services are integrating with it - like I don't have to do anything other than choose "business profile' in Uber to have it go directly on my expense report.

Of all the things to find tedious at work, this is really no longer one of them because it's been solved in software.

Also, I get "new money" on mine for mileage. There no way my operating costs are anywhere near the reimbursement rate (ends up being $60 to drive to the airport and back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

:v: : What's the occasion?
:science: : Wednesday!

("Open House" event to show the analytical group our new facility, actually. But still.)

Not shown: The three tables of food around the corner.

As a part time Sf resident working for an SF company I get your posts. But seriously.....if you don't realize that you are living in an unsustainable bubble you need to become more self aware.

There are certainly annoyingly bad issues with bay area corp culture, but nothing that someone who has any sort of experience would complain about other than in jest.

I'll just take my bay area money home and be happy as long as it lasts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

You... haven't read anything I've ever posted in this thread, have you?

(I know. I've also only lived here 3 months.)

I've caught up to what I think is enough (please tell me where I've gone wrong), and I've been working for SF companies for over 10 year now, never actually maintaining more than an apartment there, always living on the east coast and traveling in. I'm basically a 1/4 time resident at the moment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Be careful, guys. My workplace is dangerous to you. :(

Liquid Nitrogen is a bitch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Why would a company put their holiday party at the end of January? :confused:

We do that, and it's largely because nobody is around in December. I don't think many people would take kindly to having to go to (or miss what is typically a really good) party. It's scheduled at the closing of an all-hands week where everyone globally meets up at HQ. Seems to work pretty well for us.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Am I the only person on planet earth who still carries a checkbook with him? :confused:

Only person under 60 potentially.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIV posted:

My friend got hired at a new company, and when he came in on his first day he discovered the person who hired him had been fired and that no one really knows what's going on.

Talk about a rough start.

I was hired many years ago to run the IT operations for a company. 4 weeks later I show up for my first day of work to meet with the development manager who hired me to find his office full of boxes. "This is my last day, so you can have my office. Also my job....somebody needs to manage the developers now too."

Things went as well as you might expect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

"leadership training" program ..........there's not a whole lot this course can cover that my MBA hasn't

JFC, so glad you're already looking. Just how clueless is this place?

(wait, do you work at my company?)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Star Man posted:

The general manager and his wife are pretty much HR. I am the admin assistant at a mushroom farm in central Wyoming. There's a reservation here and we're right next to it. The Duran applicants are a father and son that live on the reservation.

I remember your posts because mushroom farm.

The fact that I even remember them specifically is telling, mushroom farm aside. You need to be looking for another job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

my other manager

This is already a giant red flag.

Greatbacon posted:

If you're on good terms with them, can you try talking to one of the folks jumping ship to see if their new job needs someone with your skills?

This too. Get on the life boat.

FrozenVent posted:

I also vote that "The mushroom farm" now be the thread's official euphemism for any and all workplaces.

:getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

Besides, nobody who posts here is important.

Posting to support this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they can check back on your passwords they are a lovely IT department. I mean, there are a lot of them, but secure password storage means it's encrypted in a way that can't be unencrypted except by a whole lot of brute force.

You don't need to have it unencrypted to see if the "new" password has the same hash as some old password hash that is still being stored.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I need to not read Sundae's posts when I'm trying to find a new job. Nothing stands up to it.

Seriously.....I am in a unicorn startup-gone-public and in neither side of that have we had this level of catering on a regular basis.

Oh wait.......maybe there is a lesson in that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

We went axe throwing tonight and it loving owned. That poo poo is super fun. Especially with an open bar.

What could possibly go wrong?

How do I sign up for this poo poo? (I'm serious, that owns)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Higgy posted:

Where SLA is a service level agreement that folks ideally agree on to establish how long those kinds of support activities should take.

This is a pet peeve of mine. An SLA is externally facing. It is a contractual method of defining services provided (SLO - service level objective) _PLUS_ a penalty or credit for not meeting the SLO.

The second part obviously does not apply to internal teams dealing with other internal teams in 99.9% of scenarios. Which is why those types of commitments are simply SLOs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Star Man posted:

how to use an apostrophe in general.

It seems that a lot of people think they mean LOOK OUT: HERE COMES AN 'S'!

Also, I have a special hatred of people randomly adding accent a gue/grave to words to make them look "french".

Both of these things happen on signs/sign boards entirely too often.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue_monday posted:

The only way they can set up automatic payments is if they have my entire yearly salary in reserve

Say what now?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trabant posted:

On this:

VP just came up to me, patted me on the shoulder, said "Good move." Given that he knows I'm going to our biggest competitor... :whitewater:

He's looking for a reference for when he bails and goes there too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

It depends. It either means "you're an adult and the work you put in is directly tied to your compensation and review" (the rare, initial instance) or "effectively pretty much no vacation, and we don't have to count vacation days in finance so win win" (almost all of the time).

For my company is the former - taking PTO is absolutely encouraged to the point the the CEO has come around and hounded people about "why haven't you taken any PTO yet this year?" (at a 700+ person company) with a bit of the latter: it's not so much that finance doesn't have to "count" them - because HR does. But being a CA company they don't want to have the liability on their books.

This one.....right down here:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you get to dodge the fact that california labour law requires paying out employees for unused vacation days

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tumblr hype man posted:

lol I just counted and 15.5% of my bank is some flavor of VP. I probably under counted too since I'm relying on outlook being accurate.

VP doesn't mean poo poo at a bank. They are often reporting to front line managers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Wish they'd do that for engineers, but a bunch of computer touchers would get all a-tizzy about it

I absolutely hate that part of my normal title(s) includes the word "engineer" as a computer toucher. Just so you know.

And yes, the reason is that "engineer" means something else, and a discipline I respect and am in no way qualified to practice.

But I work in an industry that much disrupt everything, including titles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just got out of a meeting where it was confirmed that I am 2 for 2 at this company on getting incompetent bosses fired. Everything just got way drat easier for me. Now I report directly to the VP of the group, they way I should have been all along (she's awesome).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Samizdata posted:

I used to help run an AS/400 systems years ago at a small insurance companies oh so many years ago. It's was a weird paradigm shift. In a matter of speaking the system was still based on the idea of printers and punch cards and the UX really seemed to be a hack to keep allow people to use monitors and keyboards, but keep the software thinking it was still using printers and cards.

I spent a lot of time back in the day hooking up SNA server to AS/400s so people could skin pretty interfaces on top. Yes, they are old school and clunky, but you can shove one down a flight of stairs and it's still gonna keep on doing its thing. They are also super easy to scale. The smallest one I've ever worked on was the size of a tower desktop and the largest took up several rows in a data center. They will run the same code in exactly the same way. Over and over again.

And long before virtualization was the hot new thing, you could multi-tenant an AS/400 with LPARs and it just worked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

Isnt that the whole point though? Why pick something so obvious, was Evil Corp taken?

Evn the shows my kids watch have this figured out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJeBHiDOTPE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Also I don't care that the customer needs the sample asap, you should have sent it to me two weeks ago when your email chain asking if we should do this do. It's not my job to bail you out of your own problems.

"Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

John Smith posted:

But not sure how the other forum folks see it.

As usual, you are the only one who doesn't realize you're wrong, rude and unhelpful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

This. It's the "hit by a bus" principle (or the "I just won the lottery, gently caress all y'all" principle to be less morbid). If they can't handle you suddenly falling off the earth, that's their problem, not yours. It's only worth worrying about in the context of how much of a personal (not work) friend you are to anyone who would be affected.

We call that the "truck number", as in how many people need to get hit by a truck before we can't perform this critical business function anymore? If that number is 1 or 2 you are dong a bad job as a manager/company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Zoom sucks for many reasons but my favorite one is that the mic is on by default so every training seminar has to stop every 10 minutes to ask the person who just joined to mute their mic.

Your Zoom admin/whoever is setting up the meeting is the one who sucks. That is a totally configurable thing in Zoom.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Needless to say the rooms you can actually book are booked out constantly, and yet if you go looking at any given time at least half of the booked rooms and most of the unbookable ones are empty.

Sounds like one of my old offices. There were people who would keep rooms booked and trade them as office currency. It was bullshit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Now you're just endzone dancing.

Deservedly so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

something something not covered for gross negligence something

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spincube posted:

...anyway, a week and a half into my current job, my immediate manager was sacked. I like a challenge, and I love to solve problems, but when an expected six-week ramping-up process turns into six days, completely out of the blue...

Many years ago, I was hired to be the IT Director at a 50-person reasonably established startup. My supposed peer, who did most of the interviewing and contact during the hiring process was the Director of Development. The previous person in my position had been fired a few months previously for being a complete and total moron, leaving 3 direct reports to fend for themselves.

One month later I show up to my first day at work, as scheduled. Development director is clearing out his desk. "Oh, hi. You can take my office. This is my last day. Sorry." Cue CEO walking in, apologizing profusely and asking me if I could do both jobs for now as well as work on hiring another Development Director.

In hindsight, I should have walked out the door with the former Development Director.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

We had and EHS guy leave for another place encounter something similar about 3 days in and after he told his old boss what had happened was back at his former employer in the same exact position.

I didn't mention the poo poo sandwich of this job being my first after selling my previous consulting firm (and not for crazy startup kinda valuations) and moving 8 hours away. There was literally nothing to go back to. I was kinda screwed. And paid for it in sanity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is basically msp.txt

It's literally the business model. I really hate MSPs a lot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

I think so, it's Managed Service Provider. So instead of employing an in-house IT crew, you can just pay a boatload of money to have somebody else manage your IT needs.

Correct.

And in turn they hire 2-3 decent experienced people as sales engineers, who then sell 50 people worth of work which is done by 40 right-out-of-school kids who are being overworked, underpaid and under supervised.

It works out as well as you would assume.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Oh, we have one of those for part of our IT stuff that goes between sites.

I think we basically never need to call them for maintenance only new setup, anything that goes wrong is either the ISP or literally inside a building so it works out okay

So you're using them as remote hands, not really management. That can work out - and what I've used them for in the past for customers and employers who were too dumb to realize that remote hands at an Equinix facility is most times better than the MSP, and certainly less expensive.

It's when you start getting into more of the managed services where the real problems begin. Almost no continuity of knowledge because of the revolving door, often times lovely documentation if there is any at all, incompatible documentation, CRM and ticketing systems (multiples of each from all of the mergers).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VanguardFelix posted:

Time for 9 straight nights of 12 hr shifts. No comp time and no OT pay. Salary exempt is just the dumbest thing ever :911:

Why haven't you found another job yet?

That sounds absolutely insane.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VanguardFelix posted:

I’m at about 10 applications a week, which are some rookie numbers. I gotta kick it in gear! But yeah I’m actively trying to bail ASAP, and also trying to avoid bumbling into an even worse position (if possible).

In that case, best of luck and goondolences on the next 9 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigDave posted:

Question: which is more common among upper management, Business or Communication majors?

Bullshit is the most common I've come across, followed by rear end kissing and then nepotism.

If you want a real answer: my experience is in tech. And the concentration is MBAs.