Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Schmeichy posted:

Not to get too far in detail, but the company I work for offers a service where they'll consult with scientists who are having issues with study design and making sure all the regulations are being met. There are also jobs out there with CROs managing study documents and keeping up with the regulations, but that sounds like it might be a step back or lateral move for you.

Oh hi I am a clinical scientist so do some protocol authoring among other bits and pieces. What you do sounds great, there are so many lovely protocols out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

FAUXTON posted:

"final steps of the process"

StepS plural

I'm pretty sure my current company didn't bother even getting a reference from my last job. I certainly didn't give them references or my previous boss's name, I suppose maybe they contacted the company separately. And I've never lived in this country before so not a lot for them to background check.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As someone who works in HR, well yeah, of course. We're not the ones who decide on promotions and raises. Yet for some reason we always get blamed if you don't get them. We just do the paperwork - lay off of us.

Serious question: what does an HR actually do? What does your average day look like?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

less than three posted:

We have 175 grid/levels for everyone below Director level.

That is insane. By "director" do you mean middle management or actually directing stuff?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

She knows the doctor who was setting up the department, so not the scam version. The UAE sucks so much that that's why she ended up not doing it, I think. Absolutely fair on a woman not wanting to go there on her own and work. Just made me wonder how much someone would have to pay me to go work there myself.

A friend of mine ended up in prison in the UAE for a while because the private security firm he was working for "accidentally" got them fake visas. It was BAD apparently.

Also I did some training with UAE "special" "forces" and they were terrible, though bonus points for ordering fortnum and masons hampers out to where they were in the field. Minus points for forgetting their maps but you can't have everything.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just had an argument with my 3up boss about the statistical model about whether my study will be taken to phase 3. There's a Bayesian model for deciding what to do with the outcome of the study that's separate from the study's hypothesis test. As far as I can tell, no one outside biostats really understands how it works.

I didn't lose the argument but he told me to write an email asking his question... So it looks like I also don't understand the model.

(I guess that means I Iost the argument)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

30 minutes by car but up to an hour by motorbike because I can't resist taking the country roads.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just had an excellent review and possibly as a result have been unable to motivate myself to do any work at all today.

Should probably achieve something in the final hour and a bit or I'll feel too guilty :-/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm always very quick to show how my time in the military was "relevant experience" for corporate work.

I've always left mine completely off.

"in this role I was responsible for rapid decision making (calling in fire missions) to short deadlines (before they killed me)"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

We just had a team meeting basically because one of the senior doctors emailed the junior doctors and didn't start with a "dear all" and was a bit abrupt. So much pearl-clutching going on. Delicious

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just received an email reminding employees to bring their skis to reception on Monday for servicing. So Swiss.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

American company policies and attitudes to leave are bananas. It's like you're encouraging employees to be as sick as possible and not recover. I can't remember exactly the policy here but employers are insured and if you're sick >5 days they claim back your pay (which you still get).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The volatile person I was worried was being lined up to be my boss has been moved sideways and I now have her job.

On the negative side my actual boss, who I like, is being sent somewhere else so I am getting a new one anyway. 4th boss of 2019.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Motronic posted:

Yep. I've got people like that. I also refuse to respond. Just like I've stopped accepting meeting invites with people who don't have an agenda, or at least a decent description of what the meeting is supposed to accomplish.

I've found both of these behaviors are intentional by the person reaching out. They are ready to drop something on you that you surely don't want to deal with and probably isn't your problem to begin with.

I really need to start doing no agenda : no meeting. I only have one colleague who does this bullshit but she really is a pain in the rear end: no agenda meetings appear in my calendar, passively worded emails to try and coerce me to do stuff for her "Let us do..."

Have you actually changed any behavior or does it just deflect that immediate shittery?

Bonus: company multiplier 150%, personal multiplier 120%, of 15%. But I had an expensive year so it needs to be saved.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 13, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is it normal in the US for people to gently caress off for vacation a week before Christmas and just leave their work undone? Someone on my project team has done this and her boss has as well. The outsourced work they manage is ongoing and the vendor is WTFing.

I'd expect to get fired but the boss has just emailed saying "there is no cover"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lol @ Americans pretending they don't get vacation

I obviously don't mind people taking vacation but if you have ongoing responsibilities surely that needs to be covered? Like the whole IT staff couldn't disappear while the office is open.

As usual the clinical team have to unfuck everyone else's work.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sarern posted:

It's not that everyone is gone the whole time, it's that 75% of people are gone on any given day which slows things down to a crawl.

Exactly! People are there! It's not that all the work needs to get done but there has to be someone contactable. Like my (US based) team is contactable in case there are emergencies.

quote:

most of the western European office workers I've met, who vanish for the entire month of August.

Bullshit. Italy maybe.

Iron Crowned posted:

Take your generous Euro benefits and and shove it up your rear end with this high and mighty attitude of yours

My benefits are great but my work is all in the USA

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sarern posted:

I hope the two overworked junior people actually present today are deliberately ignoring your increasingly frustrated emails. Or forwarding them to their manager to read when s/he gets back from Aspen in three weeks.

Sadly the emails being ignored are from US cancer hospitals trying to arrange treatment for US cancer patients in the new year. But because the staff haven't bothered to arrange any cover for the essential parts of their jobs, this will have to wait and patients will miss out. Great job.

This is not about people taking vacation. Its about making sure your role is covered.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KingSlime posted:

For real if it's not your fault, who gives a poo poo whether x project gets or doesn't get done? You're still getting paid and it's documented that it's not on you, yeah?

Partially because I genuinely want patients to get the best treatment we can provide, and partially because even though it isn't my fault it is always my problem (since I'm responsible for the science).

Also I was just annoyed with a couple of specific assholes but made it look like I didn't like Americans, which is not the case and I regret it now. Apols <3

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that the ops team are sorry for the oversight and they are now covering urgent issues like they are supposed to.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

who is covering urgent work while people are picking up chairs with their feet? smdh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Started working from home today and did a couple of hours before realising it's a "company bank holiday" whatever that is. gently caress.

The public holidays are supposed to follow the ones in the canton the office is based in, except sometimes not. Anyway gently caress it I'm going for a ski.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’m across the border in the Three Valleys for a week, is it just below freezing and sunny for you over there?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Che Delilas posted:

"Human optimization journey" is the name of my natural medicine and yoga practice.

That's a pretty tasty phrase but if you're gonna use language like "the worst job post" then you might need to post the whole thing because things like this job posting for Rogue Ale from years ago still stand at the top, in my opinion.

What absolutely gigantic assholes.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Motherfucker. Why did I think doing as my computer told me and changing my password while working remotely was a good idea? It locked me out of everything right before an investigator meeting I was chairing and I had to get someone else to postpone it. Arseholes.

I mean I would have had to change it before the weekend was over and it would have hosed everything up then, but maybe before the important call was a bad idea. gently caress

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shut up Meg posted:

(Q: what's the proper term to describe the different between '10 people giving a 4 star review' and '8 people giving 5 stars and 2 giving 2 stars', both giving the same average?)

This is a bimodal distribution as you have 2 different populations in the data set.

Compchat: 3% "merit" rise :smith: and 19% bonus :unsmith:

My boss (who was my 4th boss in 2019) also told me I'm getting a promotion :unsmith: with new salary package TBD. I have no idea what a normal salary is for my job and glassdoor is not much help.

Just realised I will get an office which is going to be a major quality of life increase :toot:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"you had one job"

(took me ages to spot the problem)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Someone in the office has the virus so we are allowed to work from home if we choose. You bet I choose, heading up to the mountains ASAP.

I didn't set up my phone after my last desk move, I don't think anyone has noticed and I'm any case they can get me on my work mobile if they want. I hate desk phones.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Take a care bag of alcohol:
* 1 mini bottle of vodka
* 1 mini bottle of gin
* 1 mini bottle of rum
* 1 bottle of tonic
* 1 bottle of soda
* 1 mini bottle of Purell
* 1 mini bottle of rubbing alcohol
* 1 travel pack Clorox wipes

It's a bit of a rare commodity these days, so a Purell and tonic pls

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

In retrospect I'm feeling pretty annoyed at the Italian doctor I work with who continued to take trips back home and go skiing in the Italian alps for the past few weeks.

Also with Swiss health and safety colleagues who didn't react at all until someone in the office actually got coronavirus. We are now instructed not to go into the office at all unless totally necessary.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Warmachine posted:

loving called it. There's going to be a lot of this.

My department resisted the pressure to move completely to open plan so maybe 60% of people are in 1-2 person offices. It would be amazing if this killed the open plan office fad, it sucks for everything, except I guess panopticon micromanagement.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Great, summer hours are still going to happen, even though we are working from home. Knock off at lunch time on Friday* if you make up the time on other days.

*I am never able to do this due to weekly meetings with a 9 hour time difference that I have to present at.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My useless clinical ops team member has quit and, amazingly, immediately been replaced by someone who is competent and enthusiastic. Almost unbelievable.

The quitter has also contacted me straight away to ask if I'm interested in moving to her new company lmao loving no way

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This entire discussion makes me appreciate working from home right now a little more. Want to wear shoes? Sure go for it, take your pick. Don't? Just keep your feet out of the camera frame. But stressing about shoes is off the table either way.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There's one very important point: I wash my feet with rubbing alcohol when I get to my desk (and before boarding) and I've kept my feet clean otherwise for so many years that they mostly smell like water.

Currently wondering why everyone ITT has such repulsive feet you have to keep shoes on in your own home, and have to soak them in rubbing alcohol lest they get exposed to the air.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I agree that when you're in the office it's Shoes Time.

Do other companies not have summer social stuff? At least pre-apocalypse we had regular barbecues down by the lake and you kind of have to get used to seeing colleagues in swimwear.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My company was taken over by a bigger company and the new company's puritan policy regarding alcohol appears to prohibit drinking in my own house. Previously in the office people would appear with a bottle of champagne on Thursday afternoons for an apéro and I can't really see French/Italian/Swiss people paying a lot of attention to the new rule.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am on a call with the Seattle assholes* and brought a beer to my desk as it's night here. They all want to do a video call so I am going to have to watch my beer get warm. Even though everyone is being relaxed about WFH I doubt it's OK to chug beers on conference calls.

* they are nice actually

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah this was my mistake, meekly starting the camera rather than bullshitting about bandwidth or something. Live and learn

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

Punchline: He was rehired by the rage-place. :v:'

E: Crosspost from the comics thread...

Reminds me of getting back from Afghanistan to my civilian job and calling the professor "sir" on a ward round
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My boss just suddenly asked for a 30min meeting "to discuss something" which sounded pretty bad. It turned out they are giving me a cash reward for... something. Idk but very confusing.

On the negative side I am asking the chief medical officer for $75m for some new bits of my study and nobody can provide a budget template. The budget is due on Monday. RIP weekend.