Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

GabbiLB posted:

Quick little update on some stuff with my GTI.

I finally got an obdeleven and did a little messing around with it. My car wasn't set to the hot country setting for the ac, so I switched that over. I don't think theres too much of a difference but I feel like it maybe blows colder a little sooner?

I also coded the esc off button, and did rough road optimization off. I don't have the starting vibration setting with my 2020 so that still seems to be keeping me from doing a burnout. I'd have to pull the ABS fuse for that, but honestly that's not important for me.

Today as well I installed a BFI dogbone insert. HUGE difference in how the car launches and shifts. I am very very happy with this. I was getting wheel hop on dry surface even after putting summer tires on, and this seems to have cured it. The car pulls really well now, and it's so much easier to bang out quick shifts. The vibrations aren't that bad either, little shakey at idle and that's supposed to go away after it breaks in a bit. I definitely recommend anyone with a manual to do this.

Still haven't put in new speakers like I said I was going to. I wanted to grab them from crutchfield because I like their support and they are pretty close to me but they have been out of stock of the stuff I wanted to get for the past 2 months or so :<

edit:

vvv Looks like an Eos vvvv

Tell me more about this dog bone thing, I have a Mk 7 GTI. Is it easy to install, like do on the driveway type thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
You can change the oil yourself if that’s your thing and reset the service indicator. I did that on my wife’s 2020 TSi when it popped up at 6000 miles.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Well a bit over a month after having my right front headlight in my 16 GTI replaced under warranty, due to water/moisture ingress, the same exact thing happened. The cars warranty is up, though I'm hopeful that because it's the same part that was replaced is defective now, that they'll cover the cost rather than me having to shell out around 1.4k usd to replace it.

Do you get the xenons where you are? Mine have been steamy in certain conditions since I took delivery in March 16, apparently it’s normal.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

dialhforhero posted:

What tires do you guys recommend with a Golf?

I have quite a bit of time until I need them for both cars, but I have grown to loathe Achilles (they will tear at the shoulder). My car came with 4 Achilles 868s and ALL FOUR ripped at the shoulder after 15k miles. The tires felt pretty grippy and they were also a very hard rubber so I had virtually no tread-wear on them. I had no alignment or suspension problems. Standard highway/city driving. Replaced for free but with Hankooks. Nothing special.

My other has Yokohamas. Nothing special.

Considering going Michelin or Continental next time for quality of ride and performance. Thoughts?

My SportWagen would be our travel car so comfort and quietness is preferred.

My standard Golf is a daily driver but I want it to handle a little sportier and quietness and smoothness isn’t as big of a deal.

On my old car I had Firestone all season tires and they are solid. Nothing special, though.

Recommendations based on ride quality and tire quality appreciated.

Edit: Hydroplane resistance big plus. It is wet and swampy here often, with tidal flooding.

OEM from VW are Continental/Pirelli right? I think the GTI is Continental.

Which Golf? My GTI came with Potenzas which were okay but when they wore I put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 on as I like the rim protectors on them. I’m now on PS4s and they are the best so far in terms of grip and handling in my opinion.

We also have a 1.5TSi and that’s got Goodyear Efficient Grip on which are comfy and quiet. Not sure about hard driving as that’s not what that car gets a lot of mind you.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Styles Bitchley posted:

Yeah I keep some mixed coolant in the back of my GTI under the hatch bed with the spare. Every so often I get that burnt maple syrup smell, but the coolant level never seems to go down. :shrug:

My GTI often has steam coming from the front of the bonnet when I park up on cold days, it smells exactly like coolant and yet VW have checked it three times and couldn’t find a leak, and it loses no fluid at all. It’s very odd.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Last week we sold my wife’s 2019 Golf 1.5TSI EVO to a dealer (cazoo) after 2 years and 12000 miles for £1000 more than we paid for it. She’s got a new job with a car so it was either that or my 2016 GTI that had to go.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

dialhforhero posted:

My mk7 SportWagen SE TDI drinks coolant about every 5k miles. I pour a solid pint in.

My mk7 Golf S TDI does not. At all.

:shrug:

I have a 2016 GTI which I have owned from new. On cold days when I park it up there are wisps of steam coming out from under the bonnet, sorry, hood, and a smell of coolant. I’ve had VW check it out three times and they can’t see or detect a leak and the coolant never needs topping up. The temps are always fine as well.

She’s now got 67k miles on her, it’s an odd thing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The battery in my 2016 GTI went flat after I didn’t drive for months during lockdown.

I had a guy come out and fit a new one and just about every gizmo had an error until he plugged something in and reset it. Literally every dashboard light was on and the display showed ‘ACC ERROR’ etc.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Lord Rupert posted:

Anyone have experience dealing with rattles in Mk7.5 Golf’s or the like? I have one at around 1500 rpm, regardless of what gear I’m in. Sounds like passenger side around the b pillar.

Dealership had it for some time (3 weeks!) and could not duplicate, so now I’ve got the car back. I should be happy that it isn’t rattling currently, but idk how long that’ll last.

Seat belt housing maybe? I’ve had a Mk7 GTI and now a 7.5 Match Edition and both had a buzz behind my ear. Never really fixed it.

Also had a rattle from the drivers knee airbag area which I sorted using foam rubber tape and awful noise from the rear (in both!) that I fixed by wrapping the latches (used to hold the seat in place when not dropped down) with electrical tape.

There are still a few noises I can’t quite identify. loving car lol I knew I should have swapped the GTI for a Benz or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well goons I entered another chapter of VAG ownership today. We’ve had 7 VWs and one Audi (an A3 back in 2006).

I always wanted a hot hatch and specifically a GTI. When I was a young man I couldn’t afford one or the insurance and by the time I was earning more money I had kids and a mortgage. Eventually I was making enough, had cleared the mortgage and the kids weren’t as expensive so I bought a brand new 2016 GTI in tornado red and named her Heidi. God I loved that car, kept her for 7 years, the longest I have owned a car in my life.

Then at 230 am one day three scumbags tried to break into the house. The police helpfully told my wife they had been after the car keys and that was that, the GTI had to go.

I changed to a regular Golf, a Mk7.5 Match Edition 1.5tsi evo. The match is the run out model here in the UK at the end of a model production so you get some extra gadgets that would have previously been paid for extras. It was Atlantic Blue metallic and a fine car but GTI ownership has ruined lesser Golfs for me and I just couldn’t love it.

So I was having a think and remembered how much I used to enjoy driving the A3 - even though it wasn’t fast or powerful it was a sporty drive and felt planted. So I went and had a mooch around Audi at the weekend and today collected an A3 S-line TFSI 35 in glacier white. It’s swank inside with nice seats and feels like you’re ‘in it’ rather than just driving it.

Tl/dr - I bought an Audi today.