Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warbird posted:

Does anyone have a good guide/video/write up on running dashcam cables in an Audi? My VW has enough play on the panels that I can make things work but the Q5 has me concerned about messing something up.

What's the power draw of the dashcam? I've done wire taps from the rear view mirror which is super clean, otherwise it's not horribly daunting to run under the trims and tap at the fuse box at the door.

I just switched out the standard airbox on my S7 for the RS7 one thanks to a couple of eBay bargains and done a reset of the ECU with the hope that the engine will adapt to the extra air intake a bit quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr. Apollo posted:

From what I’ve been told by APR and 034 Motorsport, just adding an intake won’t do anything. VAG ECUs are “torque request” meaning that the ECU requests a specific torque value at a specific RPM. Without updating the ECU with a tune, a different intake, injectors, etc. wont do anything. It may make it easier for the engine to generate power but since the ECU isn’t requesting more power, the engine won’t produce it. That’s why intake power gains are always shown with a tune on VAG engines.

That's a good steer, thank you!

I'm figuring that before playing around with an ECU tune I should be looking at a TCU tune as the DL501 gearbox is butting right up against its torque limit from the factory.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dialhforhero posted:

Goddamn are there any led license plate lights for a mk7 that actually don’t kick the error and aren’t the $75 genuine part cost? I have gone through two now.

My inner Arne Toman is screaming at the idea of LED license plates.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SEAT, Spanish VWs

edit: the brand positioning is kind of like, slightly cheaper, more emotional/sport oriented than the dour Germans. at least that's what it was, VW's brand positioning is all hosed.

SEAT are in a weird place right now, they went and took the brand identity for the Cupra, historically a mental hatchback with legit hot hatch street cred and threw it down the well of grocery-getter SUVs, kind of like Ford has done with the Mustang in the UK.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to add because it doesn't seem to be something a lot of people pick up on - if you use a regular tire inflator but you hold it in your left hand you get ~80% nitrogen.

f1 thread is leaking (nitrogen)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My buddy just made the godawful decision to purchase an 8U Q3. What's the best way for him to add CarPlay?

Depending on the MMI system it has there is usually an abundance of kits you can get on eBay to flash map updates and enable carplay/android auto with an SD card, which is way cheaper than the dealership. It's what I did.

E: this is the guy I used - https://thenavman.com/

Theophany fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks but unless I'm missing something, which I may be, not seeing a CarPlay thingy for the Q3 on there.

Get your friend to work out which MMI model they have and email the chap that runs the site - he's very responsive and if it's possible he's usually able to get hold of the software needed to unlock and update everything.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dialhforhero posted:

I have a mod on my mk7 that enables CarPlay but the turn-by-turn navigation doesn't work. It only shows the map but it won't actually speak. It's frustrating. Because of this, I just turn it off. All CarPlay really does it make your screen look nice. If I can't get turn-by-turn then I don't give a gently caress about the album art or whatever.

I purchased this car with the mod on it already installed. I have tried to find what it is exactly (I think I did once, a Dutch company maybe?) but even then I couldn't get the turn-by-turn speaking to work.

I wonder if the PO just shoehorned in a 'close enough' model's software update? I don't use Carplay but Android Auto seems to work just fine and I've found Waze is much better than Audi's implementation of Google maps, which seems to have a penchant for sending my big rear end car down every single track country road in a 20 mile radius of my destination.

I've got a brand new Q3 today as a loaner whilst I get the last of the warranty work sorted on my S7 and the nav did the exact same thing of sending me down blind country roads when there were perfectly fine main roads all the way :wtc:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Deviant posted:

I wasn't aware of any way to update the software outside of the dealer. If there is, I'd like to update my Mk7's infotainment to maybe make the bluetooth song titles stop lagging behind by a track or two. Dealer wouldn't even look at an update without a diagnostic fee, which they can go gently caress themselves on.

It's a lot easier if you have an SD card slot in the car. Usually a good idea to leave the car on trickle charge too as it can take a couple of hours.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fknlo posted:

I know it has always been a thing, but it's wild how fast a decent priced car from a private seller will go in the current market. A 6 speed Golf TDI with 105k miles got posted for $10k yesterday. Timing belt is done but it still has all the emissions. Dude is about 2 hours away. I was gonna make the trip today to look at it. Already pending for a sale :negative:

I wouldn't take that as game over. When I've been selling cars I've had people say they'll take it but can't get to me until the weekend or whatever bullshit, but I always say that if somebody else turns up with the cash before then, it's theirs to take away and I'll let them know before they make the journey. I wouldn't expect a private seller to hold a car for me and think it's totally fine to agree the sale with the first person to show up and pay. :shrug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warbird posted:

The wife backed my GTI into a neighbors’s truck the other day. No one hurt and the neighbor isn’t worried about it, minor damage all around.

$7200 to fix gently caress me.

lmao what??

I dropped this off yesterday after agreeing an estimate of £3k, that's new doors, new fender, paint and labour inclusive. First shop's estimate was £8k largely because they assumed I was going through insurance (I was not).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Their work on my previous vehicles has been acceptable. Of course, at 3k you're accepting breakers yard doors, but the other quote for 8k was from Audi's approved repair shop. They were unironically quoting new door glass, seals, door cards for a scuff down the side of the car.

With a bit of luck I get the car back tomorrow so will try to share the results.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Charles Leclerc posted:

lmao what??

I dropped this off yesterday after agreeing an estimate of £3k, that's new doors, new fender, paint and labour inclusive. First shop's estimate was £8k largely because they assumed I was going through insurance (I was not).

Follow up time now I have my car back:

All in £3,004.20. Two doors and front wing totallinng £1,284.50, paint and materials came in at £295, labour cost was £924.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Suburban Dad posted:

It isn't that, it's a generic obd2 reader. Did I read that right that carista requires a monthly payment? Not another subscription service...

Iirc carista will read generic codes without a sub, but won't read manufacturer specific codes or allow you to code the ecu.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Brakes are cheap, transmissions are not.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rosoboronexport posted:

I don't quite understand how changing gears wrecks the transmission, isn't that what they are supposed to do anyway? And especially if it is automatic that would lessen the wear of the change as there is no risk of gear grinding. Edit: Though I don't know about CVT:s but isn't their main selling point that they can keep the transmission at the top power band? So I don't think that "locking" the CVT for certain ratio would wear it out any more than normal driving.

I've driven two manual cars, a Mazda2 for 110k miles and the Seat Ibiza for 50k miles mostly "one-pedal driving" and the Mazda needed new front pads around 90k miles and the Seats rear discs were due to change because they had rusted when the car had around 75k miles. Neither had any issues with transmission or clutch.
So far I have driven the Leon around 5500 miles and it has the fragile DCT with dry clutches and I still use the manual mode or "Sport" mode to slow down the car without using the brakes.

Perhaps it's just paranoia on my part. The DSG boxes are pretty sophisticated and allegedly record a whole bunch of parameters so dealers can excuse themselves from warranty claims.

But more simply than that a set of pads and discs is still cheaper than a replacement transmission and I really don't see what is to be gained from one pedal driving if you're driving with enough hazard perception and awareness for the conditions. Plus once those DSGs wear they become worse than a dim-witted slushbox transmission and you should absolutely run a mile from buying a car with a DSG that has early onset dementia.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rosoboronexport posted:

Dunno about that, I guess they record transmission oil temperature but I think it was KIA or Hyundai or Mitsubishi dealer which said that either engine or DCT transmission warranty was void because the car was driven with the transmission in Sport mode.

They also record how many times launch control mode was used, which is a touch sus.

Oh, you used this feature the car shipped with? gently caress you.

Some ECU code readers can also read this, which is a good thing to know if you're buying a used Audi and wonder if it may have been ragged to hell.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing beats Nissan cancelling your warranty if your GPS shows that you visited a racetrack.

Lmao, for real? As in you could get caught in the crossfire if you just visited a sporting event but didn't participate?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Russian Bear posted:

Anyone have experience with Audi a7? I think I’d want a post refresh gen 1 (so 2015 onwards).

I have the C7.5 S7 and it's delightful. Great level of toys and you can unlock Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with a cheap SD card off eBay.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Russian Bear posted:

Anything out of the ordinary maintenance wise that you’ve encountered?

I took a sawzall to the centre muffler because it was too quiet, but other than that it's just been oil changes for the 18 months I've had it. My last five years of cars have been a 2016 S5, 2016 RS6 Avant, 2012 A6 Avant and now the S7 and not a single thing has gone sideways, so I'm firmly in the Audi camp for the foreseeable future.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ok Comboomer posted:

what was going from an RS6 to an A6 like?

Not massive when you're doing your daily commute and everything is where you expect it to be. The 3.0 TFSI was a sturdy engine and got a fair bit of extra gumption with a remap, but when you wanted to just utterly smoke 95% of other cars on the road it felt like the opposite of winning the lottery lol.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently Audi’s CCBs are pretty good as far as noise goes but yeah, if something happens to one of them it’s $12K per front rotor.

My old man had a Cayenne Turbo with CCBs and when one failed under the warranty Porsche told him they specifically weren't covered. Not sure if that policy has changed, but it's put me off any car that has them.

That and the fact that I've never had steelies fade under normal road use.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motronic posted:

I run my 5,500 lb. Cayenne Turbo through actual rally stages at pace and never have any brake fade. PCCB is an upsell in search of deep pockets. Totally unnecessary on anything other than a literal track vehicle....and even then not every one. When I was shoipping I specifically excluded anything that had them.

Also, I don't see why they would be covered under warranty. Rotors and pads are always considered wear items and they typically stick to that unless something cracks in half with under 100 miles on the car.

I think he'd done a few thousand miles in it, so having a brake rotor fail that soon isn't what I'd consider to be reasonable wear and tear.

Either way it wasn't a massive deal as they ended up taking the car back at a fair price.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motronic posted:

Oh, I'm not saying they're right, I'm saying they're cheap and use any excuse to get out of paying for warrranty parts/labor. "It's a wear item" is just the most popular one for wear items with obvious manufacturing defects like that must have had to let loose so soon.

Yeah, that memory did colour my decision to go with an S7 over a Panamera GTS. I'm not dropping anywhere near the sort of money he did and if that's the manufacturer's dealer network experience then... Nah.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Long shot, but does anybody have any experience with the diesel/mild hybrid S7 or S6? I am staring down the barrel of increasing levels of work mileage that have an inverse relationship with the logic of a 4.0 petrol V8.

What's holding me back is that the MPG benefit seems pretty mild for what is on paper a slower car, buuut I believe it's a proper slushbox on the newer models rather than the 7 speed DSG, which means a fairly aggressive remap would eliminate the performance deficit because the gearbox is far more able to handle the greater torque and power.

Or maybe I should just be a degenerate and have an engine and gearbox remap at APR as the warranty is long gone anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

trilobite terror posted:

In which direction?

I can't speak to VW, but my last 6+ years of modernish Audis has only cost me chewing through front axle tyres and service items. That spectrum covers punts on cheap petrol and diesel A6s, a dog-rough looking CVT A4, a presentable S5 and S7 and RS6.

I'm getting giddy enough to start putting together clearly bad financial maths to justify owning a V10 R8 before they become unaffordium.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CommieGIR posted:

Which TDI is that? If its the 3.0 TDI V6: It'd be decent, in the the A7/S7 platform it gets really good mileage (up to 45 MPG)

Yeah I think that's the one, which is quite a difference. I'm currently averaging 30mpg on a motorway run and more like 27mpg if the roads are quiet.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Fun one yesterday, I'd made an enquiry about a very tidy looking RS6 avant in Daytona Grey with a local-ish Audi dealer earlier in the week. All the options ticked, 40k on the clock, FASH. Did all the initial sums and it looked like we could do a reasonable deal and had arranged to pop over and see it this weekend.

Until the dealer called up just before close of business yesterday to say they were withdrawing the car from sale because it was going to take £10k to put it in a saleable condition. How the gently caress do you 1. need to do £10k worth of servicing to a car that has only been in your own dealer network and 2. How can you prep a car for sale without knowing this??

Bullet dodged, I guess, but I've never had that before.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Yeah, I figure that was always a possibility. Just seemed weird to lie about it, I didn't put a deposit down or anything.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mr. Apollo posted:

Did it have CCBs? A replacement front rotor could easily be £10k. I think they're about US$13K each.

Nah, I wouldn't touch a car with ceramics.

If they were being honest it'll turn up in a week or so on Auto Trader once another trader buys it, gives it a wash and marks it up 10% having done none of the work that is supposedly required.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The dealership is being paid by VW to cover the costs, so it's not like they're losing out on doing warranty work.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

They just sold it to someone else who accepted worse financing terms I expect? Probably was never 10k of repairs.

Turbo oil strainers lol. It was manufactured just before the cut off and hadn't been in for a recall.

Doubt that's 10k of work alone but it's not a small job and add on other incidental work to minimise warranty work and it does kind of make sense.

Easier to roll it across a trade auction block and let the next garage eat the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's a common topic on Audi forums, consensus seems to be that typical town and cruise control driving where you're not throwing out the anchors shifts the brake bias to the rear for the sake of gentler, more predictable braking with bias shifting more to the front under heavy braking. I know some torque vectoring systems also independently apply the rear brakes for cars without a differential too, which I guess could be a factor? Either way, a lot of them are replacing their second set of rear pads by the time the fronts have worn down to the sensors.