Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Looking for a little troubleshooting advice. I've got a 2004 1.8T Jetta that has been bulletproof for its first 185,000km, it's now having issues holding boost. When accelerating it can't hold boost past around 8 or 9 psi, the motor is running smooth and boosts normally up to that threshold and then I get a "wuff wuff wuff" noise and the car hesitates. I've driven it since then just keeping it out of boost as I'm assuming that hesitation isn't doing my shaft any favors.

I'm curious if it sounds to anyone like a normal vacuum leak or if it's more symptomatic of a diverter valve on its last legs. Is there any easy way to test a DV without just buying a new one and popping it in? Also if that's not what it is, any tips for tracking down leaks in the turbo system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

my1999gsr posted:

Boost problems are a little harder to diagnose without looking at the car - usually I can watch and read a variety of inputs to get a better idea of what's going on. It's certainly possible that you've got a diverter valve problem but I'm not a big fan of throwing parts at a problem without a little more diagnostic time.

Thankfully, before I threw the part at the problem I had another problem rear its head. While idling outside the dealership as I was getting my winter tires out of storage one of my coil packs went. Being a 1.8T owner I obviously knew what was up. So I bought one, popped it in and was lucky to pick the busted one on the second try. Turns out it fixed my problem with the stuttering boost, I can only assume the coil was on it's last legs and couldn't create a spark when the compression increased under boost.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Despite me posting about my car running like poo poo a few days ago I have to say that it has been as reliable as anyone could expect. It's an '04 Jetta 1.8T, I have put 72,000km on it in the last 2 1/2 years, all that has gone wrong is 2 coil packs, the flexpipe on the downpipe (I live in Montreal and the car is basically dipped in salt for 4 months a year) and a wheel bearing. I can deal with that for almost twice around the world.

I also have to appreciate that the shittiest part of the car, the coilpacks, are impossibly easy to replace. My 6 year old niece could do it.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I think it has legit been close to ten years since I used to post in this forum but I just put a deposit down on a used Audi and wanted to see if you anyone here had tips/warnings/etc... It's a 2017 A4 Quattro with S-tronic, Progressiv :canada: with the S-Line and driver assistance packages and 89k km on it. I'm pretty stoked on getting it ideally next week, I'm coming from a 5 speed mk6 jetta with the 1.8t so it should be a pretty monumental difference in feel. Went used to side-step the initial depreciation and take advantage of surprising (0.98%) financing on used A4's.

Oh yeah, and it's scuba blue.

DoesNotCompute fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 21, 2021

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

Nice. This is a good gen, before they broke up the tornado line running down the car and replaced the clickety MMI wheel with a touchscreen and piano black plastic.
Clean carfax?
Is CPO warranty available?
Worth it for the typical risk items with EA888 should they happen (water pump, upper chain tensioner, pcv, etc).

Ensure the first DSG service has been done already (likely, if this is a dealer serviced lease return). Due every 60k km.
Depending on how obsessive compulsive you are, you could do an intake carbon cleaning at 100k km.

B9 A4 is very good reliability wise, especially if you already have a VAG mindset.

edit: Also those wheels are win. If you find the ride a little busy, you can deflate the tires to "normal load" per the manual instead of the max load pressures listed on the doorjamb sticker.

Yep clean carfax, has 1 year 20k km CPO warranty, currently deciding whether it's worth $1550 CAD for a second year and extra 20k. I got them to send over the service invoice from when it went through the certification process and it was a $5k bill mostly comprised of front and rear rotors ($1600) and all new tires ($1400) among a bunch of little cosmetic things, bushings and the like. Last email going out tomorrow is to just get any other service history about it, since it's right on the edge of 90k km I'm going to see if I can at least get them to make sure the 90k service is done along with new plugs and all that. They're trying to sell me $1300 worth of audicare but I'm waiting to hear back on what those services include. Out of curiosity, how complicated is the DSG fluid change for once this thing is out of warranty? Assume I'm medium capable with a nice shop without a lift.

Also yeah the wheels are about 18% of the reason the guy at VW is getting a sad phone call about me not picking up a new GTI.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

5k worth of new bits is definitely a bonus. From what I've seen, CPO cars don't typically get that much put into them.
I would get the $1500 for an extra year of factory CPO warranty.

For Audi care- yea, it depends on exactly what that $1300 covers.

You could add the extra warranty and audicare into the finance, but see if they'll discount you the 0.98% rate on those items.

DSG service, lots of diy on youtube. You can do it on jackstands, but need some tooling.
I'm guessing you plan to keep it long term, so you could do it along with a carbon clean with your local VW/Audi independent shop.

Yeah I used to work at a VW dealer so was surprised at how thorough they were on the CPO, they did control arm bushings, lower rear shock mounts, and a new battery too, so fairly thorough. (also love to see service departments still fleecing sales, an hour labour charged for the battery replacement.)

The biggest gripe I've got about the warranty and audicare is that I live on an island without an Audi dealer, so it's a $50 bridge toll, $30 of gas and an hour and a half commute each way to get anything done.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Pulled the trigger. Nothing has ever felt like this big of an upgrade.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I'm a little over a month into A4 ownership after driving Jettas for a decade and the honeymoon hasn't worn off. 2017 seems to have been in a weird little sweet spot as far as "gently caress with-able" tech is concerned after picking up an obdeleven. Managed to get the sim-card slot working and using a Telus sim have Google maps overlay in the built in nav without needing to tether to a phone or use carplay which is nice, also video in motion so the sig other can watch dvd seasons on road trips. Super happy with it and now just talking myself out of throwing a tune on it. Also a clay bar and fresh wax mixed with scuba blue has me in love.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Volguus posted:

How do you have google maps in there? Does it run Android?

It has a built in LTE "phone" essentially which is deactivated for the Canadian market, if you turn it on and have a spare sim card kicking around it can then download google maps and use it as an overlay in the built in navigation. Lots of info out there about getting the maps working if you tether to your phone for data but was happy to get it all working within the car without needing a phone. Can also use the car as a wifi hotspot now however the reception is spotty, I ordered an LTE antenna that should just plug into the back of the unit and I'm hoping that'll help things.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Nitr0 posted:

My 2019 Q8 has the sim enabled in Canada and all data functions including google maps works fine without a cell phone

Yeah that makes sense since it's a '19. No Audi connect features were available on the '17 A4 so it took screwing around with the long coding to get the hardware active and working with software, sim and google maps weren't available otherwise.

mik posted:

Great looking car I love that colour, are you on PEI? I'll honk if I see you around :)

Yep I am, I'll keep an ear out for honks, small world.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Rusty posted:

It amazes me that Golf Rs not only held their value, but have increased in price and are basically impossible to find at least around me. The ones that get listed on Carvana are sold almost right away. I love my GTI, but an AWD version would be so nice to have.

I was in the market for a '17-'19 Golf R a few months ago and ended upgoing for a '17 A4 because it was cheaper, with better interest rates through Audi finance. Just ridiculous. Very happy with it though, got my 2L turbo and AWD in the end.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Thumposaurus posted:

Why does it look so huge?

Because it is, I find they really have an issue with wheel tuck/size. They built fenders for 20's and threw 17's on them and they look silly almost all the time. I really wanted to like them as I was coming from a '15 and was in a place where a GLI would have made financial sense but just didn't love it in person.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Every car is better with a manual, hope that helps.

Serious answer: I have experience with the B5 and B9 manuals. The B5 5-speed is fine, if a bit notchy; I think the 6-speed is the same as in the C5 A6, which rules, maybe my favorite manual ever. The B9 manual is also just fine, but certainly a better option than the auto.

Side note on the b9 manual, it was only available with quattro "ultra" so if you're hot and horny for "real quattro" torsen full time all wheel drive you have to go with the DSG.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Murgos posted:

Does the B9 A4 have a different transmission than the S4? Because the B9 S4 is a silky smooth ZF 8 speed which is highly praised by basically everyone.

B9 has the 7 speed DSG, it's my first automatic in a decade and I miss the third pedal around once a week for 5 minutes. It fits the vibe of the car.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Residency Evil posted:

I keep seeing older Touaregs. Are there any good horror stories about the v10 tdis? Wasn’t there also a w12 version or something?

I am indescribably horny for the V10 TDI but am actively avoiding finding one until I have a very nice and empty garage bay for it to live in. Anecdotally, from working at a VW dealer for a while, Touaregs are nice and solid but brakes and suspension bits would regularly send customers into convulsions as they tended to be people that had finally upgraded from a tiguan or golf wagon and were like "wait the rotors cost how many hundreds of dollars each?"

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Ok it can snow now. Very happy with the look even dropping down to 18" from the stock 19's, not nearly as obvious a size difference as I was expecting and looking forward to the extra half inch+ of side wall once things get blizzard-y.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

You're a brave soul to choose those wheels to clean in the winter.

Just picked up some used S4 peelers for my winter set.

My friend that used to own a detailing businesses was much less diplomatic about how they will be to keep clean. They’ll be a nightmare. Still love them though.

Peelers are a classic.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Volkswagen fellas, looking at Execline Atlas or Cross Sport, is the 2.0T decent? Should we go for the VR6? Also is the Atlas even decent? I stopped working at VW the year before they came out so don't have the inside scoop on that stuff anymore.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s certainly no Touareg

Honestly not sure if this is an endorsement or a dig, I loved driving them (the last gen) when I worked there, but I also didn’t have to pay to keep one on the road. Can go to other way.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

If you asked me, or anyone ever, if you could have positive equity on a modern mass produced vehicle you would have been laughed at by everyone ever.

Hell I bought my '17 A4 back in March and it's already worth more than I owe on it, feels weird to not be upside down on a car for the first 2 years paying for it.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

New cars aren’t moving as much. The parity between new/used is disproportionate and now is probably a better time to buy new if you can. Especially if you can cash out positive on your current car.

Exactly this, also since used values are wacky as hell, the residual values for leases are also fairly high, so if you're a lease person with equity in an overvalued trade this is a very good time to be alive.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I haven't been this horny for snow storms since I was 19 and drove a '95 Subary Legacy. I really had forgotten what I was missing with 18 years of fwd Jettas doing their absolute best in Canadian winters (honestly they were good but just not *fun*)

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

mik posted:

Were you on the Island back in 2015 when we got a billion feet of snow? I made this gif with my old S3 at the time

That was the year I moved back, picked up a Jetta in the summer and that winter inspired me to spend actual money on winters.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/fZr2Y6V.jpg https://i.imgur.com/fZr2Y6V.jpg[/timg]

Have I mentioned that I love my click wheel mmi and also hate that the menu button is an inch away from the cup holder? A few americanos without stoppers made just enough micro spills to render the button useless. Very very fun to get to if you need to clean too….

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

That sucks.
B9 dials and switches are literal ASMR.

I absolutely agree* and think the switch to all touch was a mistake.

*until coffee gets in there

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So my delightful little b9 (2017, progressiv S-line, 5275km out of CPO warranty) decided it didn’t have power steering today. A cursory glance at the internet is telling me intermediate steering columns on these cars like to poo poo the bed? Has anyone experienced this and if so is there a maintenance or fix that can be done or will I basically be offering sexual favours to the dealership hoping they can get it covered under good will? Also seems like aftermarket columns for the B9 don’t seem to exist for sale. Fun.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Is there any kind of consensus on which ECU flash is most reliable on the B9 2.0T? I have no brand loyalty as I haven’t had a car flashed since my ‘04 Jetta 1.8T a decade and a bit ago.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

dialhforhero posted:

And yet…a VAG car owner. :magemage:

Fair critique.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BlackMK4 posted:

How terrible to maintain are the 2nd gen Touareg TDIs? Assumption is that I'm pretty comfortable working on my own stuff, own an engine hoist, etc.

When I worked at a dealer in '15-'16 I witnessed a few nightmarish pano sunroof repairs on those.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I’ve generally been a bit of a hater about the latest gen A3 but I had never seen the hatch version. That is sharp as hell.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

trilobite terror posted:

IDK, I lived through “first model year B8 ownership” and it was rough. Like “two transmissions, two turbochargers” rough.

I put 75k km on a B9 over three years and had one cam shift sensor go and had to replace the intermediate steering shaft after it bound up causing it to have some play. It was an unusually reliable car.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

First year of anything is kind of crap but especially for VAG product

my alltrack has been quite reliable so far but it was also the very last year of the Mk 7.5 so basically all the bugs got cut out

The B9 for me was the outlier, mine was a '17 and it was very very reliable. That said, most of the important parts were evolutions of parts that had broken four billion times on B8's and B8.5's.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Nocheez posted:

I've had a couple Q7s and a Q5 as rentals, and they are my favorite cars now. I should stop reading this thread, because it makes me want to trade my Camry in on one.

Second gen Q5 is basically a lifted B9, they depreciate into the ground pretty fast so they're relatively good value especially if you're comfortable with routine maintenance. The 2.0T is very very easy to work on in that engine bay. Anecdotally they eat through brake pads faster than their B9 cousin though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Nocheez posted:

Coming from Toyotas that generally need very little maintenance and are easy to work on, how much of a punch in the dick are VAG products nowadays?

I wouldn't touch them in the early 2000s, but I've really liked my rentals.

I can only speak to my A4, but in 75k km and three years I had to replace a cam shift actuator which took 4 minutes in my driveway with a $90 part and an intermediate steering shaft which was a $120 salvage part* that took me 45 minutes to replace with a set of ramps. Besides that, oil changes.

*Audi wanted $1,300 CAD for the part lol