Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can anyone speak for the Kata DR-467i? I've currently got a 7D with BG-E7 grip, SpeedLite 580EX II, and EF-S 17-55 w/ hood. My next additions will likely be a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, a Rode shotgun mic, and a macro (not sure which yet). It looks like it can hold a 15.4" laptop as well, so I'd like to toss my MacBook Pro in there. The weight seems like it will add up quickly, so I'm hoping it's comfortable enough to wear around trade shows all day. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for your impressions. Everything I've read says that the exterior quality is excellent, but some have said that the interior padding doesn't seem that protective of your equipment. However, the photos I've seen make it look fine. Any comments?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for your thorough replies. I think I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it works, and of course share my thoughts in the thread. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That kind of setup would make me pretty paranoid, seems like it'd be more likely to bang your lenses into stuff while you're walking around.
That's pretty much how they rest with a single R-strap too. You get used to it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I can't recommend my Kata Dr-467 http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-467i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B003036CTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296055647&sr=8-1 enough. It's very comfortable, durable, and cheap. It's under a $100. I've seen another photog hold his 40d with 70-200 in the top compartment.
Got one for Christmas and it did a fantastic job at CES for me. When you're at an event that necessitates an unfashionable backpack, it's perfect. I still want to get a bit more socially acceptable shoulder bag for lugging around to class and work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ouhei posted:

For those looking for bags, the Crumpler 7 million dollar home is on Amazon right now for ~$100 in either black or grey/red: http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Photo-Black/dp/B001TINMRA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296222194&sr=8-4

About a $40 savings and ships free with Prime. I'm probably going to order it, just doing some last minute size estimating and the like.
I have an unhealthy obsession with gear bags. I already have 3 generic laptop backpacks, 2 generic shoulder computer bags, a Timbuk2 bag, a Canon bag, a new Kata DR-467i, and I now I want this and an Ona bag. :smithicide:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OneZeroSix posted:

Someone posted this bag in the Canon thread:

Ona Union Station Bag

Mine's on the way! :dance:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh god it's here it's here it's here!

Gonna take some photos in the AM.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Initial reaction to the ONA Union Steet: it's awesome. I managed to snap a few shots this morning before work, but haven't really loaded the bag up yet and put it to use.

Some very quick impressions:
  • The build quality is phenomenal and not disappointing in any way, even for an almost-$300 bag. The stitching looks great, and the materials all feel rugged while still looking classy.
  • It has a handle at the top so it can be carried like a briefcase.
  • Fits a 15" MacBook Pro perfectly.
  • The styling is very subtle, without any large ONA logos on the front. The only logos on the exterior are the two at either end near the strap attachment.
  • It won't really fit a gripped camera with a lens attached. You'll have to remove either the grip or the lens.
  • There are 4 card pouches in the front pocket, but they're for SD and just barely don't fit CF. I'll have to put DS games in there I guess. :shobon:
  • The strap and attachment points feel very solid. I'm not concerned at all about weighing this thing down.
  • There's a hidden magnetic clasp on the document pocket at the back. Nice touch.
  • No metal surfaces in the large pocket to scratch up your laptop or camera equipment.
  • All of the inserts are removable, including the laptop divider, so you can just use the bag with one big pouch, if you want.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 16, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Noooooooooo. Well, actually that saves me about $200. Yay.
You might be able to reconfigure it to fit like a gripped Rebel with a nifty fifty, but there's no way in hell my gripped 7D fits with the EF-S 17-55 attached.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you're not carrying a laptop, you could probably make it work. I'll fiddle with it tonight and see what sort of arrangement I come up with. It seems like there would be enough room. You'd just have to get the partitions arranged properly. Unfortunately I don't have a wide array of gear to test different configurations out for people. I only have the gripped 7D with the 17-55, and a 580EX II.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If you take out the laptop partition, the bag is just wide enough to accommodate a camera in this orientation. Pardon the iPhone picture in a dim room:

From the top it looks like it completely throws off the shape of the bag, but I think that's just the angle, and once the flap is closed you can't tell. I could definitely see myself forgoing the laptop partition.

edit: I rearranged it so the camera is in the middle now, which I think is a lot better for a single-lens setup. In this case I have my 580EX II on one end, and a Rode SVM on the other. I won't continue to inundate the thread with pictures though. My conclusion is that as long as you aren't carrying a laptop, you can have a gripped camera with lens attached.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 17, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZoCrowes posted:

Yeah I just paid off one of my credit cards and I am having to resist a very strong urge to buy one on that card.
It was a lot easier to resist when there were backordered for 2 months, too. Once they hit "Available Now" I couldn't help myself.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just comparing to the weight of my Timbuk2 Blogger which is supposed to weigh 2 lbs. and 6 ounces, I'd say the Union Street's a little bit heaver but not by much. It's not as much of a burden as I thought it might be, based on the materials used.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Your comments seem to jive with a lot of other reviews I've read. It's a beautiful bag, but not as functional as you'd hope for the price. I still think I want one though.
I'll sell you my brown one. I just don't use it enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Was the bag not what you hoped for?
No I just don't shoot enough to justify the investment. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

How much are you looking for?
Lemme get some photos together and I'll post an SA-Mart thread this week.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It took longer than I anticipated to get around to selling it, but my ONA Union Street is over in SA-Mart.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MAkev posted:

I don't have a grip for my D7000 but I've fit my D5000, Tamron 17-50, Nikon 35/1.8, Nikon 55-200, SB-600 and an FM2+50/1.4 in the main pouch.
As Sevn said though, a gripped camera completely changes the layout of a lot of bags. I adored my ONA Union Street and still think it's the best looking camera bag on the market, but I just couldn't get it to work with a gripped body which I couldn't give up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sevn posted:

I know these are all anecdotal, but I have used my RS screw on the Nikon 80-200 2.8 tripod foot for 6+ hours multiple times, as well as on the gripped body for days at a time, and I have never once felt like it came close to coming undone.
I'm not convinced people are tightening them enough for the rubber washer to do its job.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW as my 'oh crap gotta shoot now' grab bag.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400-AW,2116,14.htm

(excuse lovely 'I'm too tired to use a real camera' phone pic)
I can fit:
2 bodies, one with a 17-85 and the other a spare lovely 'backup'
70-200
28mm
10-22
10-20 for backup
a few flashes and remotes
intervalometer
usual charger etc
a few filters for each lens
cards etc
front of bag can fit a toughbook if i absolutely have to use Lightroom then and there

And for slings I use a Black Rapid Double (DR1) - usually holding the 70-200 on my left and whatever body I am using on the right. If I wanna go overboard I will use a 'Sport Slim' as well.
http://www.blackrapid.com/products

If you have a two-way or a side arm on your hip the DR1 can be a pain but I just push those to the rear of my belt.

Running with DR1 setup is interesting but locking the toggles on the straps help a lot - Although our gear has a hard life and generally gets hosed due to other factors before I smash them against something.
Thanks for this. Probably going to switch from a Kata DR467i because it doesn't really work with a pro-size body attached to a 70-200 2.8. It stores everything I need and is great for travel, but it's not the most convenient for shooting on my outings. I was also considering a Retrospective 20 as my "on the go" camera bag, but I think I'd rather stick with a backpack. I had an Ona Union Street before and didn't find the shoulder bag terribly convenient.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks for this. Probably going to switch from a Kata DR467i because it doesn't really work with a pro-size body attached to a 70-200 2.8. It stores everything I need and is great for travel, but it's not the most convenient for shooting on my outings. I was also considering a Retrospective 20 as my "on the go" camera bag, but I think I'd rather stick with a backpack. I had an Ona Union Street before and didn't find the shoulder bag terribly convenient.
Just a followup...

I'm liking the layout of the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW so far. Holds a gripped 5D3 attached to a 70-200 f/2.8 without issue along with a 24-70 f/2.8, 17-40 f/4, 2x extender, ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT with omni-bounce, and assorted lens hoods. With all of that it's still less bulky than the Kata it's replacing.

I'll still need to bring a small secondary bag with me for planned shoots that require more specialized equipment (for example, LEE filters setup for landscapes or audio gear for shooting video) but I'm excited to use this for more spontaneous outings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's some high-quality bag chat taking place over in this thread. Please come hang out with us.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

I use these http://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive. They are adjustable between a sling and a longish neckstrap without tying up the tripod hole.
How secure are those clips?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really liked my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for long hikes with my gripped 5DIII, 70-200 2.8, 3 or 4 other lenses, miscellaneous accessories, a bunch of filters, water/snacks, and a big Manfrotto tripod strapped to the back. I think they've expanded the lineup a bit to include a laptop model as well, but I'm not really sure. I can't give a full endorsement since I'm not sure about the laptop compartment, but I was very happy with that bag (and need to get rid of it at some point now that I don't have any of that gear) and would purchase Lowepro again.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

http://www.dsptch.com/collections/sling I really like these straps, not leather but they are pretty minimal and you can use them as neck-straps or slings.
Same. I use one of these with my XT-1 and have been very happy with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Opioid posted:

I just got a Fuji X-t10. Looking for a small padded pouch I can throw in my normal backpack or bag that can house the camera with a lens attached + 1 extra lens for traveling. I don't want to have an entire second backpack just for my camera when it's small and only has 1 other lens. Any favourites?
B&H gave me this for free when I bought my X-T1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/868302-REG/ruggard_phb_135b_hunter_35_dslr_holster.html

Seems alright for tossing in a bigger bag or just carrying alone. It's a tad big for mirrorless, but maybe perfect with an extra lens? Depending on which lenses you're talking about, it should handle one on the body and one extra. I can try when I get home with my 35/2 and 23/1.4.

Edit: they have a smaller "25" model as well but I dunno if that'll hold an extra lens too.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

This is the strap I have used on all my Fujis, including the XT1 I owned for like a month.

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive
Same.

• Locked thread