Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I haven't noticed anything so far either. Whereabout in the film is there supposed to be sound problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheSwami posted:

From the "National Lampoon's Straight-To-Redbox" school of cover design

So many questions...

Why does Rob Corrdry look super-stoked to have just had the crap kicked out of him?
Why is Clark Duke doing a little Napoleon tucking-the-hand-into-the-jacket pose?
Why isn't there anything related to hot tubs, time machines, or hot tub time machines anywhere on the cover?
Why does it look like there's smoke coming from behind the giant torso chick's rear end?

These are all things that apparently take precedent over a movie that's about a hot tub that is also a time machine.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
:aaaaa:

WTF? What's the source for the comparison image? The original Blu or DVD or VHS or some fourth thing?

Welp, guess I'll strike that one off my buy list.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

penismightier posted:

Oh my god it looks like Waking Life.

loving something up that bad seems like it would take a lot of work. What kind of a weirdie thought that up?

Knowing Fox, it was probably Tom Rothman's idea.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just saw an ad on TV promoting the Avatar blu-ray. "Available for a limited time"

Why, exactly? Are they pulling the bare-bones edition from shelves once the super-ginormo edition arrives, or is James Cameron putting it in his own private Disney-esque vault?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

Bring this coupon to the store.

After the 50% off, your membership discount, and the coupon, a title that retails for $40 should come out to $13 + tax.

Am I reading that fine print correctly? You have to have started a membership between April 26 and June 26 to use that coupon?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

I've had my membership for over 2 years now and they still take the coupons, And in a year of following these Criterion deals on various forums I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being turned down because their membership didn't meet the date requirement. Technically that's what it says, but nobody ever abides by it.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot then. I just instinctively look for the fine print on stuff like that.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

Bill Hunt on Aliens:

This has me very excited for the Alien collection. Any word on whether or not they'll release each film individually? If so, I'm tempted to just get Aliens.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Apparently, in addition to the basic Toy Story 3 blu-ray and the 4-disc TS3 blu-ray, Disney is also releasing a 10-disc Toy Story trilogy box set. The way I understand it, all three movies will be getting a blu-ray, a standard DVD and a digital copy, and TS3 will be getting an additional blu-ray copy.

How many copies of Toy Story does a person need????

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YUC2FE?tag=bluray-012-20

e: However, I'm tempted to buy my copy at Target because it comes with a Buzz Lightyear case.

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 27, 2010

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

Went a lil hog wild with the Best Buy exclusives this morning :shobon:

If you love High Tension as much as I do, you'll undoubtedly be pleased to know that it's only $7.99

Do you work in marketing by any chance? Because you just made me want to buy ALL of those.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just picked up The Evil Dead at Wal-Mart for $17. Great price if you've got one close and don't want to wait for shipping.

That's good to know, as I've visited three Best Buys this week and none of them have had it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Ineffiable posted:

To get some discussion that's not of new blurays or sales going on up in here, what are some impressive animation films on Bluray? 2D ones especially?

My collection is lacking some crisp cel animation stuff. The most obvious stuff is disney, but is there anythin that could have been overlooked, like The Secret of Kells?

Persepolis looks wonderful in blu-ray. I was surprised at how good the black and white animation looks in high definition.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Speaking of Kubrick, I'm thinking about ditching my Kubrick boxset and upgrading them all to blu-ray.

Are there any plans for a standalone blu-ray release of A Life in Pictures?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Silber posted:

I think everyone here picked it up.

I haven't yet, but in my defense I'm holding out for the next Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
edit: I'm an idiot.

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 27, 2010

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

I posted:

My plan is to rip the digital copies, throw those discs out, and jury-rig a BTTF case out of the Toy Story 3 case once that finally comes out

Done! I found an extra case lying around, went ahead and threw together a quick/dirty photoshop job aaaand...

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

penismightier posted:

I use Google to navigate DVDBeaver. It's really incredible how lovely it is.

I just wait for one of you guys to post the link.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheScott2K posted:

Whoever designed the Back to the Future set case can go straight to hell. We also have a high water mark for using digital copies to inflate disc count. They couldn't fit all three one DVD?

I realize everyone else got this like a week ago.

Better yet, why do we even need the digital copy disc? You have to enter a code into iTunes or wherever anyway, so couldn't we just get a digital download code and download it directly from the internet instead of a one-use-only disc?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

drat straight.

Click here for the full 1500x441 image.

I just pruned my blu/DVD collection this afternoon, and admired my work when I was done.

Then I look at doctor thodt's collection and I just drool.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

FitFortDanga posted:

SCORSESE
TARANTINO
JENA MALONE

:wtf:

Oh, I see. THAT's the kind of person that buys the King of Queens boxset. I'd always wondered.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
While we're on the topic of shipping, what's the consensus on YesAsia.com? I just placed an order for a couple items (and I'm eyeballing that Avatar steelbook), and I'm wondering if they'll even get here by Christmas.

The shipping info says "between 6 and 14 business days", but that could mean "between next week and next Christmas" for all I know.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just trashed my slipcovers for Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 and Toy Story 3.

I'M A MONSTERRRRRRRR!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

They also indicate thst Tron is definitely coming to Blu-Ray, but there's a possibility that it will only be available in a 2-pack bundle with Tron Legacy.

That doesn't surprise me, honestly. When the Fantasia/2000 set came out, it occurred to me that that's probably what would happen with Tron.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Yeah, I marathoned the entire set today. Aliens looks drat amazing. I might try to watch through all the extras tomorrow.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

D'serius posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. They smell kind of like those old nasty scratch and sniff stickers "I think this flavor is supposed to be rear end!"

Does it smell like Harvard?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't care if he was a bit player in the film, Jarvis Cocker on the commentary would be amazing

A music-only track would be pretty great too.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone still buying boxed sets of Star Wars is loving nuts. You know there'll be a new one in a year.

Yeah, because that's gonna be the one we've all been waiting for. :jerkbag:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Amazon has the blu-ray Die Hard collection for $20.49.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kaujot posted:

At the one film class I took in college, some brave soul stood up in the middle of all of us pretentious twats to announce that his favorite film was Die Hard. :unsmith:

Was...was it me? :ohdear:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kaujot posted:

Do you live in London?

Sadly, no.

Though I have definitely declared my love for Die Hard in a room full of film students and felt like a total tool for it.

...Actually, no. Die Hard is a work of genius. gently caress 'em.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

penismightier posted:

Yeah man, gently caress those ivory tower eggheads for not liking Die Hard. (Like half of them are in there BECAUSE they love movies like Die Hard, you jackass. 80s action and comedy are a common denominator of film school conversations.)

Yup, that's me. Lording my appreciation of a popular action movie over lesser plebes who'd rather keep talking about Tarantino or whatever.

:jerkbag:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Saturniid19 posted:

Spaced does this with Kevin Smith, Patton Oswalt, Quentin Taratinto, Matt Stone, Diablo Cody, and Bill Hader.

Hot Fuzz has a commentary with Tarantino as well.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

fenix down posted:

It's not good! Mostly just a long-rear end bullet list of movies they've seen.

Ah. I've never actually listened to it. That's good to know, then.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors is getting a digibook release on October 9th!

Cinema Blend posted:

Here's the rundown of bonus features:

-Theatrical version of the film with optional commentary
-:siren:The Director’s Cut featuring the newly restored 20-minute alternate ending:siren:
-Digitally re-mastered picture and 5.1 sound on both versions
-"Frank Oz and Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut," an introduction by Frank Oz with Richard Conway
-"A Story of Little Shop of Horrors" (behind-the-scenes documentary)
-Outtakes and deleted scenes with optional commentary
-Two theatrical trailers

The cover art is one of the laziest misrepresentations of a film I've ever seen (I'd post a photo, but my browser's acting up on me. You can see it in the above link), but the alternate ending alone makes this a day one purchase for me.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I can't wait to put that next to the collector's edition Blade Runner briefcase that I keep in a box of junk in my closet.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
"Hello, Prospective Employer. Would you like to see my Tesseract?"

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Honestly, I just don't have a good place for it. The little toy spinner and plastic/metal/origami unicorn adorn my bookshelf, though. :shobon:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sporadic posted:

You ought to sell that poo poo before it comes back into print.

Sell the 25th anniversary edition so I can afford the 30th anniversary edition? No thanks, I'm good.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Yesterday I went to Best Buy hoping to grab a copy of the Jaws digibook, only to find that every single copy, digibook or not, was gone. Turns out each store only received a small handful, and it's completely sold out on Best Buy's website.

Is there any chance at all that they'll restock any time soon, or am I just completely SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I didn't fully appreciate your post. I went to BB tonight and found that they were out of the special edition and had few regular copies left. There was one of those little paper slips attached to the empty rack, a correction slip for like when they advertise the wrong price. But in this case, it was to inform the consumer that each store was given TWO copies.

TWO. MOTHERFUCKING. COPIES.

I can't imagine why BB is on the brink of going out of business.

Yeah, for a popular catalog title like loving JAWS, to only do such a limited run is just a bald-faced attempt at creating a rare, overpriced DVD.

Keep checking Best Buy's website, though. If they restock tomorrow, they'll have it listed online. I found one listed at the BB in the next town over, so this morning I arranged for an in-store pickup (your only option if you order online). Otherwise, just keep going back and looking.

I hate that I've become this determined to get one of these drat things, but there's absolutely no reason for such a limited run.

• Locked thread