Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don't own as many discs as some people here but I'll list my favorites anyway. These are releases that have both great restorations/transfers and great supplements. The Warner classics in particular always seemed to be stuffed with extra material.

Classics
Gone With the Wind
The Searchers
The Adventures of Robin Hood
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Wizard of Oz
Blade Runner
North by Northwest
8 1/2

Modern
Toy Story 1/2
District 9
Zodiac
Lost (All seasons)

Avatar is probably the best looking/sounding disc I own but since it has zero extra features it's not on my list. The Searchers is probably the best looking "classic" I've got, those desert vistas are absolutely stunning in 1080p. My favorite extras are on The Adventures of Robin Hood, in particular the "Warner Night at the Movies 1939" and the Looney Tunes shorts.

You also can't go wrong with any of the Criterion releases, as well as anything from Pixar or Disney (well, animated Disney, not "Old Dogs" Disney)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

doctor thodt posted:

It's in-store only. You don't need a coupon, just a rewards membership (free to join).

I was going to grab a couple of the latest Criterions there for $20 a pop but it looks like the B&N sale is coming back this month, so I'll hold off a bit to save a few more bucks.

I wouldn't get too excited anyway, I went this morning and my store only had about 8 different Criterion blus in stock. Luckily they had two I wanted but I was pretty disappointed with the selection.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

El Jackalope posted:

I remember a while back we were talking about Fantastic Planet getting a blu release date, but now I can't find anything on amazon. Am I missing something?

Comes out July 26th in the UK according to here, not sure about a US release: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/La-planete-sauvage-Blu-ray/11140/

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I'll echo the sentiment that A Prophet looks awesome and is awesome, I impulse bought it today because of the rave reviews it's been getting, and I'm not disappointed at all. Awesome movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Supernorn posted:

While we're talking about titles, what can you recommend for someone that just recently hopped onto the Blu Ray wagon?

The answer is just to buy movies that you like. Check out review sites if you are unsure or want an idea of the quality, DVD Beaver or DVD Talk are both good ones.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Thanks for this, ordered both of em!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bambi posted:

Best Buy is going to start phasing out DVD's this holiday season. Nice to see retailers begin to push Blu-Ray ahead :)

Target is doing this too, to some extent. My store is almost tripling the amount of space on the floor for Blu-Rays.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

doctor thodt posted:

Gamera: Guardian of Universe/Gamera: Attack of the Legion is $5.49 on Amazon right now. The disc isn't perfect, but hey, it's under six dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003XMKU52

Thanks, don't see how I could pass that up for that price!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bambi posted:

Alien Anthology + Last of the Mohicans $65.48 (scroll down to "Best Value")

God dammit... can't afford... must resist... ordered. :(

Hope I don't get the Alien set for Christmas now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

henpod posted:

So I just bought myself a ps3, and at the shop they had the LOTR trilogy for 20 quid, which is a good deal. They are the theatricals; any idea if/when the extendeds will come out?

There has been nothing official yet, but the general consensus is that they will come out to coincide with "The Hobbit" next year.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I really enjoy the packaging on The Social Network, mostly because it's going to drive slipcover fanatics nuts.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

GonSmithe posted:

Are the DVD an Blu-ray covers really the exact same, sans sticker that says "HIGH DEFINTION HERP DERP?"

Yeah, and also obviously the blu-ray case is slightly smaller. I actually like the image on the "slipcover" too, but any disappointment was forgotten once I opened the package. It's a nice case.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Yeah it'll likely be closer to $20 on Amazon when it comes out. I'll be picking it up for sure, I'm a sucker for epics like that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Red posted:

Well, this has me deciding whether or not to re-purchase Mononoke (and possibly Howl's Moving Castle) if and when it becomes available. I'd just like a Japanese audio track. Is that even going to be an option?

I just picked up Nausicaa, and it does have the Japanese audio track, so that's a good sign for future releases. Honestly I prefer the English on the Ghibli releases, but it'd be nice to have the option available anyway.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Taxi Driver came in. Goddamn, this is an incredible box, and it comes with some sweet picture stills from the film. It kinda annoys me that the box is wider than bluray/dvd cases.

And it's all a loving steal for 13 bucks!

Seriously, I am really impressed with how nice the set is, especially since it was so cheap. I can't wait to watch it tonight.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

No one else got A.I.? I was worried because I didn't hear anything about it but it looks like it got a pretty good review. Whatever I like it.

I almost bought it, but decided I have a large enough backlog of movies to watch as it is. I'll pick it up eventually though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Back_From_Termina posted:

The trick with Resurrection is to watch it with a "SciFi channel original, b-movie, rip-off of Alien" mindset. If you can do that it's actually kind of tolerable. Just pretend it has nothing to do with the others.

I really like Resurrection for basically the same reason you gave - it's a really solid b-movie. It's not a "good" movie in the same way that the first two are, but in terms of pure entertainment value I'd rank it right up there with the originals. Certainly a hundred times better than the boring crapfest that is Alien 3.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I think maybe they're trying to compete with films getting theatrical releases that day? That doesn't totally make sense, but it just happens to be the same day that the new Harry Potter film premieres, and maybe Paramount is trying to take some business away from that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lizard Combatant posted:

Great oracles of the Blu-Ray thread, has there been any word on an X-Files release?

I haven't heard anything, but I suppose it's possible for the future. IMDB tells me that the show was filmed on 35mm, so it could potentially look amazing if they took the time to do a proper transfer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

frumpsnake posted:

Basically, the US Blu-Ray looks like poo poo

I'm not sure how those screens were captured, but it looks considerably better in motion. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement, but I thought it looked decent and noticeably better than any DVD version I've seen. I doubt we'll see anything better anyway until the film's 50th anniversary in a few years.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Has anyone else picked up the H.G. Lewis 3 pack that Something Weird just put out? The quality is pretty astonishing, and for 12 bucks it's a fantastic deal if you're into exploitation flicks. I can't wait to, pick up their blu of Basket Case now.

I got it last week, I've only watched Blood Feast so far but it looks really great. I like that they kept it all to one disc, instead of making it a 3-disc thing and charging more for no reason.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just found out about Dead Alive on bluray.
I'm pretty sure what came out as Dead Alive was a bit cut down, so anyone know if this has all of the Braindead content?

I'd like to jump on it since I'm pretty sure Peter Jackson has no interest in revisiting his old good movies for any special editions.

The blu-ray version is 97 minutes long, so it is the US Unrated cut but not the original version of Braindead. As far as I know the 104 minute Australian version isn't available in the US. According to Wikipedia, the US version is Jackson's preferred cut, so I doubt we'd ever see any other version on blu ray.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I got a pretty good deal today...

An obvious pricing mistake at FYE, but that's how it rang up and the clerk either didn't know or didn't care, so merry christmas to me!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But some of the webisodes aren't, am I right with that?

I think you are correct - the season 3 set has "The Resistance" webisodes but the ones from season 4 are not on the individual releases.

Also, The Plan is loving terrible and a complete waste of time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

etalian posted:

The only good thing about The Plan is it created the awesome zoom on the cock story.

Welp, I made the mistake of googling "zoom on the cock", I guess I should have thought that through.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Akira blu-ray? I haven't seen the movie in years and I was just thinking about it so I looked up the blu-ray and it is out of print. I thought this was odd considering that it only came out in 2009. Was there something wrong with it? And are there plans to reissue it. I'd like to know that before paying a stupid price for it (well, also if it's even worth having because I still have the DVD edition). If done well I'd imagine that it looks great on blu-ray.

I've got it and I think it looks pretty drat good, and DVDTalk gave it a positive review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36318/akira/

Couldn't tell you why it's out of print, but if you like the movie I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

EDIT: drat, it's going for over $80 used on amazon... Probably not worth that much. I would assume it will get a reissue at some point.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 11, 2012

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

I wouldn't normally advertise FYE because they've always set the gold standard in overpriced poo poo. But for some reason my local store has a whole bunch of Blu-rays for ten dollars or less(and a good selection, no less). Many of them even beat the amazon prices. There's a bunch of copies of Evil Dead for ten bucks, for example. They also have copies of Battle Royale out already. I don't know if all stores will have the same pricing but if you have one in your area it's worth taking a look.

I feel like FYE has gotten a lot better lately - I've found quite a few good deals in there over the last few months. They seem to have realized that they actually need to compete with online retailers to stay afloat.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

There is a very high chance this will turn out like poo poo but Mill Creek is releasing a spaghetti western 2-pack on May 15th.

Grand Duel/Keoma - $9.99

I've got their previous spaghetti western set (The Last Gun and 4 Dollars of Revenge) and it's not terrible. The movies themselves are a mixed bag (bad and decent, respectively), but the transfers are good - at least, they are sharp and they don't gently caress around with DNR or anything. I'll pick this one up if it drops to $5-6 like the last one did.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

QVT posted:

Are there other (non-criterion) blu-rays like this? Where they have just an absolute wealth of special features and a great transfer? That Taxi Driver disc has so much stuff that it's worth owning even if you don't love the film.

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Psycho, The Conversation, Thr French Connection, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Searchers, and Forbidden Planet are all classics that got great releases with lots of extras. Those are just a few that jumped out at me from scanning my shelves, I know there are many others. Warner in particular has a good track record for giving their catalog titles good treatments.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

morestuff posted:

Amazon.co.uk is having a big autumn Blu-Ray sale. $50 for the complete Harry Potter set, $16 for the Alien Anthology, and tons more. The one's that are region free are pretty clearly marked.

Thanks to your link, I discovered that the UK version of the Universal Monsters set not only comes in a sweet coffin, but is also region free and way cheaper. I think I'm changing my pre-order...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Got my Universal Monsters set from Amazon UK today - the coffin case is smaller than I expected but it looks pretty great. I've got Dracula on now, and the quality is fantastic. They really did an incredible job with the restoration.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, I meant any film that was released before the Blu-Ray format. But this list helps. Thanks!

There are so many Woody Allen films that don't even have good DVD releases, I really wish they would do some kind of blu-ray box set for some of his less popular releases. Everyone Says I Love You, Celebrity, and at least a few others only have non-anamorphic letterboxed releases that look like rear end a modern TV.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

I've been trying to cut back my spending but I still grabbed three.

Story of my life. At least I have lots of movies to watch. :unsmith:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Sporadic posted:

A double feature from Shout Factory is coming out May 28

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry/Race With The Devil

$13.98

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BENWPB4...QG8VKV19CQPHD6W

I had the DVD version of this in my hand the other day and almost bought it. Glad I held off! I love that movies like this are getting blu-ray releases.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Red Oktober posted:

Can someone who understands all the transfers etc confirm that this is the same version? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003ARSPIE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

After all the talk in here I want to make sure I pick up the 'good' versions - this one looks the same at any rate.

As far as I'm aware there is only one blu-ray transfer available right now of that film, so you should be safe.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nice, Raro Video is quickly become my favorite tiny distributor.

Awesome, I've been hoping for a blu ray of The Conformist for a while now, I'd imagine that it would look stunning in high def.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Call Me Charlie posted:

Scream Factory is releasing a double feature of Visiting Hours and Bad Dreams in early 2014.

If you like 80's slashers/thrillers this is a pretty good set. I especially like Bad Dreams, it reminds me of a more serious version of the third Nightmare on Elm Street movie. I have the DVD version of these that they released a few years ago, which is pretty decent quality already so I don't think I will bother upgrading, but assuming this set will be priced pretty cheap, I recommend it when it comes out.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989, Woody Allen) - Feb. 11 [MGM/Orion]

Sweet, I'm always happy to see more Woody Allen films get blu-ray releases. There are still a number of his movies that only have lovely non-anamorphic DVD releases (Bullets over Broadway and Everyone Says I Love You for example) that I really wish would get an upgrade though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Zoolander - June 3rd

I hope the transfer is really really really ridiculously good looking. I love that movie.

Also, I've never seen The King of Comedy, I'll have to rectify that when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ApexAftermath posted:

Weird. I thought this was already available on blu ray. At least amazon has copies for order right now. Is the current one barebones or really bad transfer or something?

The one on Amazon is a region-free UK release.

• Locked thread