Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cemetry Gator posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Highlander-Season-One-Blu-ray/3155/

Here you go.

Reading that process is horrible. Basically, instead of doing it right, it seems like they just wanted to fake it until they made it. I even get the sense that when it came to the audio, instead of doing a full remix, they were simply going to just make a fake surround track. They could have just said "Hey, you know what, this show will never be in HD since it just isn't feasible for us to do it," and just left it well enough alone.

It reminds me of a lot of records from the 60s and 70s. Basically, stereo was new, and they had a lot of mono tapes that couldn't be remixed or hadn't been remixed, so they just hosed around with the tapes until it was nominally stereo so they could release a "STEREO!" product instead of dreaded mono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHCdDnxLTc

The results were not good.

I don't know that I've ever been happier to have the 2009 remaster set :ohdear: Those vocals sound like they're coming from inside a cave. And not even just the vocals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I recently got Walk Hard and Dawn of the Dead (a couple of my favorite movies) on Blu-Ray, and I can't remember which but one of them wouldn't play on my PC's Blu-Ray player. They both played just fine on my PS3, and every other Blu-Ray movie I own plays fine on my PC, but it's kind of annoying that not all Blu movies are compatible with every player.

I mean, I rarely watch Blu movies on my PC (I'll usually watch them on my PS3 instead because it's connected to my TV), but still. It sucks that I flat out can't watch some of them on my PC.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

For all of you folks who still have Blockbuster stores nearby, they're liquidating all of them starting today and going until they all get shuttered in early January. There's some pretty sweet deals to be had, and they're only going to get sweeter as they keep dropping the prices (but things will also get picked through the more you wait).
The one a few blocks from my house has a big sign in their window saying "STORE CLOSING (This Location Only)"

Not even close :haw:

I might have to check them out for some sweet Blu-Ray deals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yaws posted:

So I'm assuming the "get a PS3 for blu-ray" from the OP is out of date. Anyone have any recommendations for a cheapish blu-ray player?
There's a bunch for under $100 now. At this point in the format's lifespan, just about any major brand should have one for cheap that performs fine.

As a side note though, I have a PS4 now and it's reeeeally nice for playing Blu-Rays. Nicer than the PS3 was. It's got a 6x Blu-Ray drive, so movies load a lot faster than they did on the PS3. It's easier to navigate through movies with the DualShock 4 controller, too. I don't have a remote, but it's no trouble at all to use the controller.

At $400, it's a lot to spend for just a Blu-Ray player, but if there are games out now that you want to play or games that have been announced for the future that you know you're going to want to play, it's definitely worth it if you want to use it as your Blu-Ray player too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kevar posted:

Is there anything wrong with PS3 as a bluray player? I'm getting a PS3 to play all the last gen console games I missed out on after my 360 red ringed 3ish years ago and figured I could use it in place of my 3ish year old BD player.
Nah, PS3 is a fine Blu-Ray player. It's just slower than the PS4. Now that I've used this thing to watch movies, I don't think I could go back to a PS3. But if you've never had a PS3 before, it'll be a fine player for you. And you'll have tons of games to play because it's nearing the end of its lifespan now. So you're in for a good bit of entertainment :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

Every time I see one of those "SEE THE POWER OF BLU-RAY" promos on a Sony disc that features a clip of The Brothers Solomon, I get really sad.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.
Why the gently caress would they even show that movie in a montage of their studio's movies? It was terrible and also a total flop, and I can't imagine that it's Blu-Ray reference material by any means.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Call Me Charlie posted:

Probably for the same reason Paramount had Blades Of Glory and Team America in theirs (they had HD masters laying around)
The difference being that Team America is actually funny :v:

(I've only seen Blades Of Glory once...I think it was on TV. I remember it being quite disposable.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Call Me Charlie posted:

I imagine this is it for the crazy daily deals. Decent run.

:siren: Robocop: Remastered in 4K preorder - $13.34 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GST8UB8...NC1749JQNRDEAD7 :siren:
I had no idea this was getting released :aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

frumpsnake posted:

VP of Marketing at Fox Home Entertainment said it's unrated.

Hell yes, the Kinney getting shot up by ED-209 scene with full, unadulterated gore :unsmigghh:

Oh and Murphy getting blasted by Boddicker and his crew is gorier in the unrated version too, isn't it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I use WinDVD for if I ever want to watch Blu Rays on my PC. I used to use PowerDVD but it flat out refused to open multiple discs I had, so that was the end of that.

I rarely ever watch Blu Rays on my PC anymore though because it always seems like such a hassle. It doesn't seem like it should be because watching DVDs on a PC was so easy for years, but it is. Anyway, I just used my PS3 as my primary Blu Ray player when I had it, and now I have a PS4 so that's taken its place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, in VLC go to "Media" > "Open disc" > find the "Disc" tab and select the "Blu ray" option. Pretty easy.
I've tried this a few times and it has never once worked for me, which is a shame because I've been using VLC to play every other kind of video on my PC for years and it's always worked great. If it did indeed work for Blu Rays, I feel like it'd be the best player out there.

Maybe I should try again though, because it's been a long time since I last tried.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you're buying from Amazon, they usually have the year of when the product first became available on their site, so if they're even selling the lovely 09 release anymore, that should help differentiate between the two.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Independence Day is pretty awesome and Roland Emmerich's only good movie. I think I'd still prefer to watch Mars Attacks if given the choice though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress yes. I'm so glad I pre-ordered, and I cannot wait to watch all of those special features :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish I hadn't pre-ordered and got my copy a week ago :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that's some bullshit. If I contact Amazon do you think they'll refund us or give us a ticket or whatever?
I emailed Amazon's customer service about it because Harlock said that worked. They ended up getting back to me within the hour and said they'd send me a promotional email by the 2nd, and if I didn't receive one by then, to email them again about it.

I'm not sure if they're going to email me a PDF of the coupon that I can print out or what the deal with that is, but it's cool they're going to send me something.

I was gonna post about that in this thread earlier but I haven't actually received that promotional email yet so I was gonna wait until I had all the details to do so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cool, Amazon finally sent me the $7.50 promotional credit from the Robocop Blu-Ray :) It's not a coupon I can use to see the new one in theaters, but it's $7.50 off any item I order from Amazon. Just as good!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'd say that's better because now you can actually get something that isn't terrible.
Haha well I was gonna see the new Robocop in theaters anyway. Since I don't have the coupon, I'll just use the AMC gift card I have instead. And I'll the use that $7.50 on Amazon to buy Only God Forgives on Blu-Ray because I've been meaning to do that for a while anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Red posted:

I figured I'd try to help you out, since I got the Robocop BD as a gift - but after emailing Amazon, they said that the movie was bought before the promotion was started, so I wouldn't be due a coupon code.

:smith: Sorry, RM.
Aw, no worries! It's all good. Thanks for trying to help! :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Zoolander - June 3rd
Inside Llewyn Davis - March 11
The King of Comedy - March 25
You know, when I saw Inside Llewyn Davis in theaters, I wasn't that blown away by it, but now I find myself wanting to rewatch it since it's been a few weeks since I saw it. I might pick that one up, especially if the extras are solid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Kino is having a sale on all their Russian stuff. It has gone from insanely priced to slightly less insanely priced. I might just drop 10 bucks for Dersu Uzala because who knows when we'll get a bluray of it.
Goddamnit, this is just another reminder that there's no Blu-Ray of STALKER :smith:

Although I already have the DVD of it, I just want to see the ultimate STALKER experience.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jack Gladney posted:

I hope that there's a really unhappy motorist out there with "HDDVD#1" as well.
That car's rusting over in a garage somewhere.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's going to be a new box set of the complete series of Breaking Bad coming out on 6/3, so if you missed out on the barrel set like I did, this will be the one to get. The Blu-Ray set will be 16 discs with 55+ hours of bonus content, and the DVD set will be 21 discs with 50+ hours of bonus content. All the episodes will be uncut, too.

I don't think they've released pricing or artwork yet, but I'm sure I'll be buying it since I missed the collector's edition.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wait, there is artwork and pricing. Not sure if this is final though.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Bad-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B00I9PDXP2/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1396903183&sr=8-1

$208 for the Blu-Ray set, $160 for the DVD set.

Hopefully that's not final because you can buy the seasons individually on Blu-Ray for a lot less than $208.

GrandpaPants posted:

Are there differences between this set and if you had just bought the seasons individually?
Here's a list of stuff that'll be on this box set:

quote:

Blu-ray Exclusive Bonus Features:

More than 55 hours of special features, including:

· “No Half Measures: Creating the Final Season of Breaking Bad,” an exclusive two-hour documentary that chronicles the filming of the final eight episodes.

· Bad Memories – Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul talk about the show ending and some of their favorite moments.

· Bryan Cranston: Director – Go on set with Bryan Cranston as he directs the first episode of The Final Season, entitled "Blood Money."

· Scene Envy – The cast tell us which scene they wish they could have been in.

· Shocking Moments - The stars reveal the moments that shocked them most.

· A Look Ahead to the Final Season – The cast gives their thoughts on what an amazing final season this is going to be!

· From Walt to Heisenberg – From high school teacher to deadly meth dealer, watch as Walter White quickly transforms into Heisenberg.

· How Will It End? – At the beginning of Season 5, the cast gives their thoughts on how they think the show will end.

· Avenging Agent: Dean Norris as Hank Schrader – A look at the character Hank Schrader and the man who played him, Dean Norris.

· Scene Stealer: Betsy Brandt as Marie Schrader – A look at the character Marie Schrader and the woman who played her, Betsy Brandt.

· A Criminal Attorney: Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman – A look at the character Saul Goodman and the man who played him, Bob Odenkirk.

· Jesse’s Journey: Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman – A look at the character Jesse Pinkman and the man who played him, Aaron Paul.

· Skyler Breaks Bad: Anna Gunn on Season Four – Actress Anna Gunn and series creator Vince Gilligan explore Skyler’s character evolution through the fourth season.

· Growing Up in the White House: RJ Mitte on Walter, Jr. – RJ Mitte, Anna Gunn, Bryan Cranston and series creator Vince Gilligan discuss the extraordinary dynamics of the White family, and Walter, Jr.’s unique role.

· The Ultimate Chess Match – Members of the cast and crew discuss Walter White and Gus Fring’s extraordinary and complicated battle of wits and their struggle for Jesse’s allegiance.

· Looking Back: A Season Four Retrospective - Season Four’s most surprising and memorable moments.

· Ted's Wipeout – In Episode 411, “Crawl Space,” Ted Beneke suffers a head injury while trying to escape from Saul’s goons. In this featurette, Christopher Cousins (Ted) explains how this shocking stunt was accomplished.

· The Truck Attack Storyboard Comparison – A side-by-side comparison of the Los Pollos Hermanos truck attack and the brilliant shot-by-shot storyboards that were created for the episode “Bullet Points.”

· Walt and the Challenger Storyboard Comparison – A side-by-side comparison of Walt’s joy ride in Walt Jr.’s new Dodge Challenger and the storyboards that were developed for that sequence by the writer and director, Peter Gould.
I'm not exactly sure which of these are included with the individual seasons.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 7, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The barrel was an actual limited thing that sold out and won't sit on shelves for years getting repeatedly discounted like most DVD collector's editions?
Yeah I think it was gone within a month or so after it came out. Apparently you can still buy it brand new from certain Amazon sellers but the price is doubled at least.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The price for that Breaking Bad Blu-Ray box set dropped from $208 to $160 on Amazon already haha. Now that's more like it!

And the DVD set dropped from $160 to $113.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The release of Kill Bill had lovely video (although great audio somehow) and the wrong aspect ration which cut off the tops of everyone's heads.

No I didn't watch long enough to see if this had an effect on the O Ren Ishi fight scene.
Hahaha, I just rewatched that movie at a friend's house last night. Nice one :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

as clips from new 4K remasters of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.
:stare: :aaaaa: :fh:

I did not know that was happening. Now I'm very excited. And that's an understatement.

Are they going to be sourced from the original theatrical editions or the newest special editions? Probably the latter, huh? If you say the former, that's going to sound too good to be true.

e: Apparently there's no way to tell yet.

But here's the video:
https://vimeo.com/95919913

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 16, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

This could just be me being optimistic, but I don't think they'd bother trying to reissue Star Wars on blu-ray for a third or forth time without there being some kind of hook (like being the versions the fans have been complaining about for over a decade).
Yeah hopefully to coincide with the theatrical release of Episode VII, they'll release these and they'll be the originals with no changes and they'll be able to sell them in a "see them as they were meant to be seen" campaign. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy them if that's how this played out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

When was the last Star Wars Blu-Ray release? I want to say it's only been like 3 years. I don't think 4k alone is incentive enough for most people who bought the last one to drop the money on this one.
Yup, 2011. I rented the Blu-Rays of the original trilogy from Blockbuster (heh) because hell no I wasn't going to spend the $50 or however much it was to buy the set when I knew they were the editions I didn't like. Aside from all the lovely changes, I thought the movies looked and sounded the best they ever had.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo this has a lot of features. And the picture quality looks real nice! And it includes Fire Walk With Me too? Jesus I need to own this!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BitterAvatar posted:

Does anyone know of any PQ differences between the few versions of Jurassic Park out there?

There's currently

3D Release
Individual Release
Entire Trilogy Release

The entire trilogy is dated 2011 and the rest are 2013, but I don't know if they did anything between the two versions.
I have the trilogy release and I think the 2013 releases were done from a new 4K transfer for the film's 20th anniversary (one is 2D and the other is 3D). I think I read a while back that in some ways the new transfer looks better than the trilogy release but in other ways it doesn't look as good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harlock posted:

Amazon has the Cowboy Bebop BD up for preorder. It's an Amazon Exclusive edition. Idk what that means.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMOZ1SS - $69.99
See you in December, Space Cowboy :getin:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress. YES.

I really hope this is true.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spalec posted:

I've never got the nerdrage over the edits, 90% you'd barely notice unless you were directly comparing versions side by side and the most of the rest really don't deserve the fuss they get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't think you can actually get any better than the Blu-Ray release of 28 Days Later because of how it was shot, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Why do TVs and blu-ray players even come with any of this poo poo in the first place?
One of my friends who I thought would be diametrically opposed to features like that got a 3D TV a couple years ago and left the TruMotion poo poo on because he didn't know how to turn it off at first, then he figured out how to turn it off but he's just left it on ever since because he says now he's adjusted to it and watching TV without it looks weird to him :cry:

That poo poo makes me want to hurl though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trump posted:

You can make an argument for using it for 3D movies though.
Yeah but the funny thing is he almost never uses his 3D TV for watching 3D stuff. He's talked about watching a 3D Blu-Ray on that thing maybe two or three times since he got it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I heard about them cutting off The Simpsons on BD, but they're cutting off their other shows too? Jesus, that's probably a good amount of sales that they're losing :stare:

Digital is getting more and more prevalent all the time, yeah, but it's not like physical media is completely dead yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So a couple weeks after adding the DVD of Duel to my Amazon wish list and accepting that it was probably never coming out on Blu-Ray, now I find out that it's getting a Blu-Ray release out of loving nowhere :stare:

I never thought it was that popular of a movie, but I guess there's enough interest in it to put out a Blu-Ray re-release. That's rad. The last time I saw it was over 10 years ago but I remember it really affecting me and I've been wanting to see it again for a while.

This comes out 5/5, so in just a few weeks.

• Locked thread